Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2018, 16:06   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The next-gen Hyundai Santro

From whatever is seen, it looks like a pleasant car. And of course, the 'Hyundai' quality is evident as well. The equations are changing so fast - Kwid brought in the touchscreen and now others are following it.

Hyundai is gate crashing with the rear AC vents & a reversing cam!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Looks like power window buttons on the sides and the power window lock button at the center...
I think the power window switches (all of those) are behind the gear lever. The shape of the grab handle on the door seem not extending to accommodate the switches.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th October 2018 at 16:16.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 16:47   #182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think the power window switches (all of those) are behind the gear lever. The shape of the grab handle on the door seem not extending to accommodate the switches.
I meant, 2 power window buttons on either side and window locks at the center for the row of buttons behind the gear lever. Not the doors.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 16:48   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
And what's the row of buttons behind the gearshift boot? Power window buttons & door unlock/lock buttons?
Quote:
Looks like power window buttons on the sides and the power window lock button at the center.
Quote:
Quoting few points that were posted here. This was during the preview that happened few months back. Most of them did make it to the production model.

Quote:
2) Bonnet similar to the latest cars from Hyundai. Not till the end. [i](image taken as reference)
7) Back is similar to grand i10.
9) Window controls behind the gear lever (She said this was so wrong and preferred the control on the door pad).
10) Steering similar to grand i10 (yes, steering mounted controls present).
12) Weird shaped ac vent - fan design with a projected center section/knob/cone (similar to the aeroplane nose) to change the direction of the vent.
13) Front fog is placed high - just below the headlights.
16) Interiors were all smooth plastic but said it wasn't the finished product. Center console was black while the side was beige. Again, this wasn't the final finish.
naveen.raju is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 16:54   #184
BHPian

Man! This looks really tempting, it seems to maintain Hyundai's excellent fit and finish, Kwid and Celerio don't stand a chance. Don't have any driving experience with the older Santro's Epsilon 1.1 (i was 5 when we had one in the family) but it should be better than Tiago's petrol atleast.

A real competitor to Tiago and provided how much brand pull Hyundai and the Santro brand name has, the extensive feature list, and if it is priced as per the leaked information, there is not much stopping it from being a blockbuster.

I like the subtle reference to the old Santro (the circular AC vents), the rest of the dash seems to be inspired by the new Verna and Tucson.

Was looking for a first car for my sister, the decision seems to be made now.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 6th October 2018 at 17:06.
Rocketscience is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 17:01   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
... Don't have any driving experience with the epsilon 1.1 but it should be better than Tiago's petrol atleast...
If that's the same engine in the old Santro, it's a brilliant one. Lovely low end torque and very refined at idle. I happened to crank the engine before driving my friend's car without realizing it was already ON.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 17:12   #186
BHPian

Quote:
If that's the same engine in the old Santro, it's a brilliant one. Lovely low end torque and very refined at idle. I happened to crank the engine before driving my friend's car without realizing it was already ON.
I remember faintly our car's and a couple of other Santros i have ridden, the gear lever used to shake, i really hope that to have been fixed for this generation, would be such a buzzkill otherwise.

Also the older generation i10 was sold with this engine, and as far as i remember the gear lever was the short throw unit (i have never ridden an epsilon powered i10, i have been in the one powered by the Kappa engine and that had a short throw unit which did not vibrate at all, like all modern cars) unlike the older Santro, could some bhpian confirm if that had the idle vibration issue or not?

Last edited by Rocketscience : 6th October 2018 at 17:16.
Old 6th October 2018, 17:23   #187
Senior - BHPian

Oh my god, what have they done Did the designer had just one brief, which is to come up with something 'shocking'? This is not even in tune with the Hyundai design language. I expect my small hatchback to be pleasant looking, not overly aggressive.
Old 6th October 2018, 17:23   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
This looks like the manual transmission. The joystick trigger is for engaging reverse.

Could be the 6 speed.
Yes. The i20 manual diesel also has a similar lever.
Old 6th October 2018, 18:22   #189
Senior - BHPian

Another entry in top ten sellers with 10K+ monthly sales from Hyundai stable. Interiors are neat and pleasing.

If Hyundai is able to tune AMT better compared to competition, it will take away a lot of sales from Alto K10 & Celerio for sure. Hyundai has brand pull very similar to Maruti in the small car segment. Verna is the only one which even after being very competent machine is not able to keep up with City & Ciaz.

Tata should get worried about Tiago Petrol trims.

Last edited by i74js : 6th October 2018 at 18:25.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 19:20   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Interesting choice of colour, that will definitely catch eyeballs. Pretty cool to see manufacturers moving onto a new shade as well.
The last gen santro used to come in a green shade, wonder if it shall be the same color.

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-santro.jpg

image courtesy: Hindu Business line

Quote:
Looks like power window buttons on the sides and the power window lock button at the center.
The centrally mounted controls are a bummer IMO. The Nano had the same arrangement, so did the Amby before the plug was pulled. I think it's done to cut costs.
blackasta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 20:20   #191
BHPian

From the looks of it, seems like a top notch product that will taste lot of success in our country, the styling and interiors look amazing and Hyundai seems to have done it again.

I am expecting good numbers and a good waiting period for this small car and well the name Santro itself shall be enough for many for sealing the deal. Waiting for the launch, as of now all i can say is "well done Hyundai" , price it well and change the meaning of "entry level"
Old 6th October 2018, 20:32   #192
Senior - BHPian

This looks great and will surely see 10k+ copies flying off the shelf.

Tiago definitely is under threat and of course the celerio. However I don't expect the 1.1 to be substantially better performing than the revotron 1.2(it's still a good 15+ PS More powerful) but Hyundai has a solid brand-pull and the name Santro of course would work in their favor. This would do for Hyundai what EON couldn't.

Santro and Tiago combined definitely would change the whole outlook of entry level cars in India.

P.S: Are those fixed headrests at the front? Hope not.

Last edited by SoumenD : 6th October 2018 at 20:37.
Old 6th October 2018, 20:45   #193
PCS
BHPian

Isnt the centre fascia of instrument panel remind of jeep compass ? I mean centre ac vents and audio panel
PCS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 21:28   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it only me, or does anyone feel that the new Santro looks like a heavily reworked i10 Grand?

But the new Santro doesn't even look like a WagonR rival. Looks way more premium, especially the interiors with the typical Hyundai quality.

Add to that the features on board, makes it a tasty proposition especially with automatic option.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 21:36   #195
Senior - BHPian

Looks premium... Wow

I believe it will repeat the Swift-i20 story with WagonR. Don't think Tata Tiago will be as much affected as the WagonR would be, as it's VXi customers will prefer Santro instead. I also believe this could be deadly blow for Celerio & Ignis.

But, WagonR will still maintain the lead in the segment followed by Santro & Tiago trailing both.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks