Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2018, 16:19   #271

Re: The next-gen Hyundai Santro

Maybe the platform is new, however, to me this is the old i10 with a make-up, a new body and soul (cabin and amenities like 7 inch ICE and ABS etc) of a Grand i10. Am I the only one who feels this way? It does have a very strong resemblance to the old i10
deveshshukla53 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 17:43   #272

I need a city car in near future and after reading & watching first drive review of various auto gurus (especially Teambhp), I booked new Santro Sportz AMT today. I got a call from the dealer I selected during online booking process and sales representative sent me few pics of new Santro in all available colors and some random details of their training material I guess.

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-img20181011wa0008.jpg

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-img20181011wa0009.jpg

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-img20181011wa0010.jpg

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-img20181011wa0011.jpg

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-img20181011wa0012.jpg

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-img20181011wa0013.jpg

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-img20181011wa0014.jpg

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-img20181011wa0015_1539257802885.jpg[/ATTACH]
K_Tayal is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 17:58   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Tayal View Post
I need a city car in near future and after reading & watching first drive review of various auto gurus (especially Teambhp), I booked new Santro Sportz AMT today. I got a call from the dealer I selected during online booking process and sales representative sent me few pics of new Santro in all available colors and some random details of their training material I guess.
Congrats on your booking. Did you finalize any color?
The front view IMO is one of the better angles to look at the car. Colors look refreshing too.
Could you please elaborate on the kit level of the Sportz AMT variant, like amenities, safety etc?
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 18:43   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Congrats on your booking. Did you finalize any color?
The front view IMO is one of the better angles to look at the car. Colors look refreshing too.
Could you please elaborate on the kit level of the Sportz AMT variant, like amenities, safety etc?
Thanks. I finalized silver color (Typhoon Silver) as of now but variant and color can be changed after the launch date. Exact variant wise features and safety kits details are not available with the dealers but after going through the first drive reviews, I think Sportz variant has only driver side airbag & ABS+EBD. I would have preferred Asta with two airbags but AMT is only available in Magna & Sportz variant.
K_Tayal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 18:50   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

I expected something better, something in the line of the Kwid which felt refreshingly cool. Santro when it came in introduced us to the comfortable seating of a tall boy.

Santro brand name + an automatic transmission + easy finance options should still keep the sales high.

Any idea how much the AMT costs?
Old 12th October 2018, 08:42   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
AMT cost by competitors Maruti (Rs 43k for Celerio) & Tata (Rs 40k for Tiago) , so this should also be in the same range (Rs 40~45k)

Also as per media reviews this AMT is much smoother than the existing AMTs in market - smooth shift.
Old 12th October 2018, 08:58   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

Somewhere I read it is going to be 30K more than the manual equivalent.

Last edited by Samurai : 12th October 2018 at 09:03. Reason: annual=>manual
Old 12th October 2018, 10:18   #278
BANNED

Am surprised Hyundai choose to launch the car' official preview showing side profile and golden color. It is a sad side profile design with a sad color. Turns off a lot of people instantaneously. They should have officially previewed the front and rear first, that still look handsome.
chaudh2s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 11:02   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPriyankT View Post
I also feel that for us Indians, Hyundai is perceived a more premium brand than Tata, hence Tiago can have some sales going away from it. These are my 2 cents.
I agree with this point of view - not only Tiago, this car will surely take numbers away from Celerio as well assuming Hyundai prices it correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Now is the time for Tata to strike. Make dual airbags standard and call out the same in all marketing efforts. Tata has to do something like this to not cede market share to the Santro.
This is one thing, I am unhappy with Hyundai about. When I was in the market for a small Automatic car in 2017, there was a similar issue - the Grand i10 Auto did not have ABS . Now the news seems to be that the AMT variant gets only the Driver Airbag. Hyundai seems to prioritize interiors and touchscreens over safety.

Overall a better car in the segment given that the Celerio/Wagon R/Tiago are all 3 cylinder engines. However, if they dont provide dual airbags then its a missed opportunity. That makes the Delta Variant of Ignis AMT (the one I own) still the value for money offering for people who want a 4 cylinder engine with Safety features in place (Dual Airbags, ABS + EBD and ISOFix Mounts) plus the AMT option.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 12th October 2018 at 11:03.
vsrivatsa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 11:46   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally feel they should not have reused the Santro name. In 2018, Hyundai cars are perceived as premium products. i10 Grand is a great example of such premium perception. The name Santro doesn't do much to me except as an example of successful business story. The name has recall for sure but I am not sure it has a lot of desirability. It is like how Nano was hurt because it was marketed as a cheap car. I am sure it will sell given that it's a Hyundai car but the name is likely to be a liability.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 13:37   #281
BHPian

Re: Driven: new Santro 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
this is all I could observe.
Thanks for sharing, did you get a good sense of NVH claims being made for this car?I understand track may not give ideal world scenario, yet anything to report in this aspect?
Old 12th October 2018, 18:48   #282
BHPian

HI Devesh

your apprehension may be true, that the body is variant of i10.

i10 had wheel alignment problems due to half non connected body in front, unlike Old Santro.

Hope Hyundai is not trying to sell variant of i10 in the name of "Santro"

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveshshukla53 View Post
Maybe the platform is new, however, to me this is the old i10 with a make-up, a new body and soul (cabin and amenities like 7 inch ICE and ABS etc) of a Grand i10. Am I the only one who feels this way? It does have a very strong resemblance to the old i10
HI Dr mohit

External looks like i10 are concerning.
But there are many more things At least currently Obscure to us and may not be officially informed.

whether 1.1l engine is derived from i10 Kappa ?

I observe many i10 cars having very poor pull power and lost compression which basically requires great amount for engine works or reboring cylinders, piston and connecting rod replacements, intake and out let valves At least.

Also the Alignment problems at front wheels and Even rear wheel going outward is much observed in i10.

I strongly hope that Hyundai engineers and designers have worked in true spirit of making reliable long lasting Product, Instead of succumbing to Project Directors demands to Keep the cost of components Low and quality just sufficient.

Lets see. Lot of information will come out once the Car can be physically observed by Public.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I feel this is a step down for Hyundai in terms of looks. They are always known for great designs in their cars right from the cheapest Eon to the costliest Santa Fe. But this looks like a standard Maruti Alto/Celerio kind of a design with a body shell mounted on 4 wheels. Side profile is the worst angle to look at it. The earlier Santro used to be such a good looking car.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th October 2018 at 04:46. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
Old 12th October 2018, 19:06   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Speculated price of the new Santro to start at ₹ 3.80 lakhs (Ex-showroom)

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 21:15   #284
BHPian

Hi,
Someone who has just parted with his 9 year old friend i10 just a week back, the image felt rendezvous!
The first image was almost a mirror of my first gen i10, well "almost".

The next-gen Hyundai Santro-pixlr_20181012211958015.jpg

I bet Hyundai could have played the overall design differently but they did not. What was the cue here?

However if its the same zippy drive feeling as in thhe old i10 or Santro, I think the mass market is going to love it!

I still remember in 2009 i10's interior was way better than its only segment competition - the Swift.
Hope this brings back Hyundai in the top tier of hatchback segment!

Cheers,
Roy

Last edited by redeye10 : 12th October 2018 at 21:23. Reason: Image
Old 12th October 2018, 21:26   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
NDTV's first look of Santro
Am not sure how everybody else felt on seeing the new Santro's face but the first impression what I got on seeing the car was "yuck". Considering how Hyundai's cars have, off late, come to be known for their designs, the Santro looks like a few steps back in the looks department. It is just difficult to comprehend that the new Verna and this Santro comes from the same brand. However, I may be wrong, when I see the car in flesh, hopefully.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks