Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2006, 14:25   #16
BHPian

i guess the verna sells quite like hot cakes in the southern part of india..already there are two in my immediate family.....
but i guess its just limited to south ...in mumbai i see not many of them..i see plenty of aveos and plenty of fiestas....wonder wats happenin..maybe we mumbaikars are very conscious of what we own....whereas the southies wanna own anything and everything that hits town...
choosy and unexperimenting are mumbaikars...
frankly i never liked the hyundai makes except the getz....
Old 3rd December 2006, 14:25   #17
BHPian

Here in south - I guess the Fiesta 1.4 TDCi is a super hit. Its selling like hotcakes. Stupendous mileage and good handling are giving the other cars in this segment a good run. The base model is VFM.

We did see some verna's here. But that was only the initial sales, which seems to have dwindled. Overpricing and concerns about steering feedback at high speeds seem to be there.

One more thing that also hurts is the copycat attitude of Hyundai. The Verna looks like a cross between the New Corolla (Front - Bonnet) / Aveo( Body) and Elantra (rear).

Heard Hyundai will be selling Accent CRDi's only on a "Made to order" basis. Maybe they think the Accent is eating into the Verna's market.
Old 3rd December 2006, 16:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

pugram

You're kinda right!.About 'Verna's ' selling well in the South.I saw many Verna's on Chennai's roads as soon as they were officially released!.But, then again one sees more Hyundai's and Ford's in Chennai, compared to other cities.Maybe it is because they're locally produced?.
Old 3rd December 2006, 22:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

certainly not. there are a lot more fords in bangalore & mumbai than in chennai as also the case with Lancer. i dont think anyone will feel that way at all. when you buy something, you buy it for its value,love or affordability & not for anything else.
Old 3rd December 2006, 22:43   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
I have nearly finalized that I will buy Verna but the problem is I am not able to see too many vernas on road in delhi. So I am not sure if it’s really selling or VFM of ppl is tilting for ford fiesta. Today Hyundai released its sales figure for the month of November 2006. And I am more confused than ever. The sales figure of Nov 2006 for the A3 segment is 2970 units where as in November 2005 it was 3663 units for the month. Despite adding an exciting model and offering huge discounts on Viva Accents they still have overall negative growth. Looks like Hyundai needs a serious price correction on Verna. I can wait till March for more discounts on the Verna CRDi but is it really advisable to go for Verna if yes should I wait till Feb-March to get a better deal?

The single main reason for less Vernas is people feel its pricing is on the higher side - especially since it looks like a smaller car from the outside (we know thats not true). Hyundai needs a price correction - but that'll seriously deplete the Verna's image - like what happened on the Elantra/Sonata
Old 3rd December 2006, 23:24   #21
SuperSyn

Hyundai should stop selling Accent; selling two or three generations of the same platform suits Maruti better.

Then, price also needs to be reduced. However, instead of decreasing the list price, the dealerships should be allowed to make a certain discount, at their discretion.

Finally a fully loaded diesel version is desperately needed. The current taxi special is too vanilla for consumers.

Old 4th December 2006, 00:32   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

i travel almost 60km a day and have only seen a handful on Verna's still.
I see more Lancer CEDIA's then the Verna.
I guess it's the budget Hyundai badge, lack of options in Diesel and the tacky interiors that are to blame.
No one in my immediate family or friends cirle has bought a Verna while there were 6-7 fiesta's in my circle hardly a month into it launch and the number is going to frow still.
Cheers
Old 4th December 2006, 01:40   #23
BHPian

Exactly...Here in Delhi I guess ppl are waiting for price correction or some additional essential features like climate control height adjusted seat belts etc etc to be included so that it becomes more VFM. What’s surprising is that since the launch of Verna I am seeing more and more brand new Elantras on road!!

Last edited by rohitbagai : 4th December 2006 at 01:42.
Old 4th December 2006, 09:52   #24
Team-BHP Support

Regularly get to see quite a few Fiesta's in my office parking lot here in Bangalore. Heard good reviews from those who own them too....

Verna's seem to be rare here... or am i just missing them in the crowd?
Old 4th December 2006, 10:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Actually, we are again simply seeing more and more NHCs on the road. It was predicted time and time again that NHC will see demise, first with fiesta, then aveo, then verna. But it seems that Indians are just completely besotted with the big H and almost every other car is a NHC.
Old 4th December 2006, 11:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
But it seems that Indians are just completely besotted with the big H and almost every other car is a NHC.
Who cares if its H or M or HM...
What people need is easier to maintain, cheaper to run, comfortable to drive/sit, fairly good-looking, trouble-free cars. NHC offers that for a price and people feel at that price, its better than competition.

Last edited by msdivy : 4th December 2006 at 11:48.
Old 4th December 2006, 11:49   #27
BHPian

I am actually seeing more Verna petrols than Diesels ...
Old 4th December 2006, 11:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Who cares if its H or M or HM...
What people need is easier to maintain, cheaper to run, comfortable to drive/sit, fairly good-looking, trouble-free cars. NHC offers that for a price and people feel at that price, its better than competition.
Of course. I loved my OHC. You should also have seen the rush for the civic at the time of the launch, 80% who came to look at it were driving OHC/NHC.
Old 4th December 2006, 13:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

This pic was taken by me at the City Center mall parking lot in Chennai, a day after the Verna was released there.I'm told there are increasin numbers of Vernas on Chennai's roads now!!.It is a nice car.I thank Hyundai for releasing their latest models in India at reasonable prices, unlike Maruti and other auto majors who dump used cars on the Indian auto buyer.Eg., the "new" Zen??....

Old 4th December 2006, 14:22   #30
BHPian

If you consider NHC / Fiesta / Verna / Aveo

Mumbai has NHC more than the other mentioned. Then come Fiestas, then Aveo and then very Few Verna.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks