Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2006, 15:14   #31
DRC
BHPian

Selling more in south!!, I don't think so, I may be wrong, but I rarely see a verna. May be I am not watchful. Here in Bangalore atlease, Fiesta seems to be on top. very occassionally I have seen an aveo.

Funny thing I observed, Trident Hyundai ( I live close by) does not seem to be showcaseing it the way they did for other Hyundais. They usually park some cars outside to public view. mosty the test drive cars. But verna I have never seen it there. May be there are explainations like they are busy doing test drives???
Old 4th December 2006, 15:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

Nickatnite - Please blank out the numberplates of the cars before posting pictures.
Old 4th December 2006, 16:58   #33
BHPian

I am pretty sure the honeymoon period of the Verna is over. I drove the CRDI on saturday and except for the engine (and the fact that its a diesel), I saw no other reason to buy the car. The Honda City definitely makes more sense to me. And the sales figures say it.
Old 4th December 2006, 17:49   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
I am pretty sure the honeymoon period of the Verna is over. I drove the CRDI on saturday and except for the engine (and the fact that its a diesel), I saw no other reason to buy the car. The Honda City definitely makes more sense to me. And the sales figures say it.
Surprising to hear from you that engine is the only reason to buy Verna CRDi. Sales figures doesn't decide on the quality and practicality of a car especially in India. City sells mainly due to the Honda brand name and its mileage figures most of which are hyped. Also Honda doesnt enjoy the same brand status elsewhere as in India.

Verna CRDi is arnd 40K rupees expensive than base model City. For this you get a much more powerful Diesel engine compared to the City and the mileage also is better than City. 12+ in city and close to 17 in highways for Verna as per autocar. Considering Verna is Diesel FE wise Verna outscores City. Yes, the features are less compared to Petrol versions but then what does City have in special? It doesnt have ABS, which is atleast optional with Verna. Also there are certain other added safety features in Verna like impact sensing door unlock which is very important.

Sales figures of City in November is 2732 units compared to Accent/Verna's 2900+ units. Accent sells very less after launch of Verna so virtually all the figures are from Verna itself.

Choosing a City or Verna is a personal choice but telling that engine is the only reason to buy Verna is stupidity.
Old 4th December 2006, 18:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

I have been mentioning it on other threads - don't see as many Vernas as Hyundai would like me to believe.

As someone else mentioned on this thread, a lot of Elantras are to be seen nowadays, and new ones at that. And that for a car which was a flop. And even though I hated its looks when it was launched, now it seems pretty decent especially in certain colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
Surprising to hear from you that engine is the only reason to buy Verna CRDi.
Floyd was not the first one to say that. Most of the people that test drove the car and posted review comments have mentioned the same thing.

Quote:
Sales figures doesn't decide on the quality and practicality of a car especially in India. City sells mainly due to the Honda brand name and its mileage figures most of which are hyped. Also Honda doesnt enjoy the same brand status elsewhere as in India.
If a product is not worth the money paid, it will not keep selling for years, be it Honda or otherwise.

Quote:
Verna CRDi is arnd 40K rupees expensive than base model City. For this you get a much more powerful Diesel engine compared to the City and the mileage also is better than City. 12+ in city and close to 17 in highways for Verna as per autocar. Considering Verna is Diesel FE wise Verna outscores City. Yes, the features are less compared to Petrol versions but then what does City have in special? It doesnt have ABS, which is atleast optional with Verna. Also there are certain other added safety features in Verna like impact sensing door unlock which is very important.
If Verna is all what you mentioned and more, where are the cars ? People should be scrambling on top of each other to get it home, which in turn would be reflected on cars on the road, which does not seem to be the case.

Quote:
Accent sells very less after launch of Verna so virtually all the figures are from Verna itself.
I do not think so. A guy in our apartment went and bought the 1.6 Accent (GLS) last week. I asked him why not Verna ? He said it is too costly, though he indicated that he liked Verna more. So maybe high pricing is one reason.

Quote:
Choosing a City or Verna is a personal choice but telling that engine is the only reason to buy Verna is stupidity.
Maybe you could start with accepting that others have a right to their opinion, just as you have one. Just because someone does not share your enthusiasm for a brand does not make them stupid.
Old 4th December 2006, 18:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
And even though I hated its looks when it was launched, now it seems pretty decent especially in certain colors.
Maybe because its better looking than the Verna ......definitely better
Old 4th December 2006, 18:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

Oh, that's for sure, suman. Anything beats a Verna in looks.
Old 4th December 2006, 18:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Surprising to hear from you that engine is the only reason to buy Verna CRDi. Sales figures doesn't decide on the quality and practicality of a car especially in India.
Why would you say that ? I thought Indians are very quality conscious and are very practicle in their approach. Can you please share the name of car which sells in high numbers but is neither practicle nor of high quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
City sells mainly due to the Honda brand name and its mileage figures most of which are hyped. Also Honda doesnt enjoy the same brand status elsewhere as in India.
Honda has better brand value than Hyundai not just in India but in other countries as well. What did you have in mind when you said elsewhere.Besides where do you think Brand status comes from ? Certainly not thin air.
Old 4th December 2006, 23:37   #39
BHPian

I'm surprised not to see similar threads like "why there are less aveos on road" or "why there are less fiestas on road" - i mean after two months of launch of a new brand, there wont be too much vehicles on the road... this is the case with other brands also...
Regarding seeing more NHCs on the road compared to fiestas and aveos, NHC must have been launched before these brands, so obviously there will be more of those particular brand..... (I dont remember the exact date of launch of NHC, but I think it must be before the other two)
Old 4th December 2006, 23:47   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Funny thing I observed, Trident Hyundai ( I live close by) does not seem to be showcaseing it the way they did for other Hyundais. They usually park some cars outside to public view. mosty the test drive cars. But verna I have never seen it there. May be there are explainations like they are busy doing test drives???
Actually while coming from office everyday, I pass in front of Trident Hyundai (100 feet road, Indiranagar) and most of the times (8/10), I've seen a Verna parked outside. Today, in fact, I spotted a sonata and a verna.
I plainly dont believe that you have "never" seen a verna there (hope we are talking of the same showroom) !!! Could you please be more specific in what you are trying to suggest with that statement?
Old 5th December 2006, 05:03   #41
BHPian

The diesel Verna is not selling so well because its expensive. Too much money. Might make sense for some one who travels a lot.
Old 5th December 2006, 09:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

I personally dont like the verna. I think the fiesta Diesel is a better car.
Old 5th December 2006, 10:24   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I have been mentioning it on other threads - don't see as many Vernas as Hyundai would like me to believe.

As someone else mentioned on this thread, a lot of Elantras are to be seen nowadays, and new ones at that. And that for a car which was a flop. And even though I hated its looks when it was launched, now it seems pretty decent especially in certain colors.

Floyd was not the first one to say that. Most of the people that test drove the car and posted review comments have mentioned the same thing.

If a product is not worth the money paid, it will not keep selling for years, be it Honda or otherwise.

If Verna is all what you mentioned and more, where are the cars ? People should be scrambling on top of each other to get it home, which in turn would be reflected on cars on the road, which does not seem to be the case.

I do not think so. A guy in our apartment went and bought the 1.6 Accent (GLS) last week. I asked him why not Verna ? He said it is too costly, though he indicated that he liked Verna more. So maybe high pricing is one reason.

Maybe you could start with accepting that others have a right to their opinion, just as you have one. Just because someone does not share your enthusiasm for a brand does not make them stupid.
Mr. Baleno, I hope Baleno is the best car available in India followed by Honda City.

Now could you please enlighten why there are not too many Aveos on road since its launch long back? Verna is just been launched. And Team-BHP is not the only place to decide whether there isnt too much Vernas on road. Some people are already reporting that there a lot of Vernas.

You're not seeing is quite surprising. Accent GLS and Verna 1.6 base model costs the same. So there is some problem with your friend's decision to buy Accent. Also Verna/Accent combination sales figures are 2900+ units compared to City's 2600+ units. Out of the 2900+ units Accent might have sold just 50 units or even lesser.

You're a hardcore Japanese fan as well as brand image fan so no pint in arguing with you. I understand your feelings for not seeing Vernas on road
Old 5th December 2006, 10:26   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I personally dont like the verna. I think the fiesta Diesel is a better car.
Fiesta is definitely better in certain aspects but Verna has its own advantages. As you said it's a personal choice.
Old 5th December 2006, 10:29   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Why would you say that ? I thought Indians are very quality conscious and are very practicle in their approach. Can you please share the name of car which sells in high numbers but is neither practicle nor of high quality.

Honda has better brand value than Hyundai not just in India but in other countries as well. What did you have in mind when you said elsewhere.Besides where do you think Brand status comes from ? Certainly not thin air.
Cant argue with "Hondadude" . Whatever you say is true.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks