Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2019, 17:05   #1576
BHPian

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

I checked out Seltos today at KIA Crystal Auto, Baner, Pune. The showroom was crowded even though it was mid week (Many might have taken off, Pune flooding effect may be?) and there was a decent number of people waiting for TD. Only manual available for TD hence didn't bother as I am interested only in Automatic.

The SA spent good amount of time explaining the features and confirmed that DCT will be available in GTX+ variant.

Had a look at the vehicle and found it to be one size smaller than Hector/Harrier. The exterior was not WoW at the same time it was not turn-off. The fit/finish and paint quality was excellent.

The interiors are nice and feel premium. The front and back seats are comfortable but felt that interior space is comparable to a Sedan. The boot is of decent size and well shaped.

I didn't explore the features as there was just too much rush to check out the vehicle and thought we will spend more time during the TD.

I currently own Manza and used to loads of space. For me, Seltos didn't feel like an upgrade, at-least in the initial looks, mainly due to its size. I was not overwhelmed unlike my first look at the Hector or Harrier. It may be due to short time spend and too much of crowd.

Lets see if the view changes during the Test Drive of the Automatic Variant.
varman742 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 19:04   #1577
BHPian

Confirmed NOW. The SA also sent snapshot of Kia website where one can enquire for the new variant.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...tx-trim-413731
Logan2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 19:21   #1578
BHPian

Having a choice is always good. Car users, will come in different categories. Some of them look for luxury, few opt for value for money, few just want utility etc.,

So, I welcome the decision of Kia in offering Top end variant in Automatic. At the same time, if it is priced around 17L ex-showroom, the on road price in Bangalore comes to around 21.5L. Buyers with 20L, budget don't mind shelling another 10% more for creature comforts.
Old 6th August 2019, 20:15   #1579

Theres the active buzz that Kia pricing will be below 15 Lac to dispose competition...
Old 6th August 2019, 20:19   #1580
BHPian

I TDed the 1.4L Petrol at Supernova, Ahmedabad. Following are my observations.

1) The engine surely has its fair share of turbo lag pre 1800rpm and the power delivery afterwards is not linear but its like a smack which throws you in your seat. I currently drive 1.0L Ecoboost so i can say that the turbo lag is almost like Fords.

2) The engine note is not at all sporty when you give it a rev, its a thin treble rather than a grunty sound, even my Ecoboost sounds better IMO.

3) The refinement of the engine and the gearbox is very good. The overall insulation manages to keep the noises in check.

4) The suspension does let it down a bit, its setup is on the softer side even in the sportier GT line variant. Even 2 person sitting on the rear lowered down the body so much so that the gap between the wheel arch and tyre almost vanished.
In Techline when i was sitting in the driver seat in the showroom and 2 person from rear got down i could feel the whole rear of the car raising quite a bit.

6) I also noticed while taking a slow U-turn in 2nd gear that the engine started to judder meaning that u either need to downshift to 1st or use the clutch to not stall the engine. This says something about the gear proportions.

Over all the engine is pretty responsive past the lag and is fun to drive, wish the suspension setup could be better.

For interior & exterior styling lot has been said before in the previous posts so would only like to point out few things which i think are worth mentioning.

1) I loved the exterior styling minus the excess chrome use on the front grille.

2) Interior quality is also satisfactory except for few places like the inside door lock handle which is of pathetic quality, feels like a cheap plastic toy like quality. And this is one area which all of the users will be touching everyday so doesn't give a premium feel about it, hope they turn it around in mass production vehicle. The tweeter grille is also one area where the quality of plastics used needs to be better.

3) Bose sound system wasn't that impressive but it can be down to the fact i was listening to FM. If we play good quality soundtracks then we will be able to better judge it, still feels that bass is missing big time.

4) Mood sound is not at al useful and i am not a big fan of all these gimmicky features. The HUD also isn't something useful either, in my driving position (which is quite low) i couldn't see anything on the HUD, i had to raise my position to see any info on it.

5) Few features that i do found to be useful are-
>Blind view camera which switches on when you turn on the indicators, the clarity of the 7" screen is amazing.
> Wireless charging was good to have and its a 10w fast charger so helps a lot.
> Ventilated seats - at first i thought this won't be that useful but after a short 10 mins drive i felt very soothing by its effect, specially on the thighs. Surely missed it on my way back in my Eco.
> Rear sun blinds are good to have
> Powered seat is good but it would be super useful with memory function

Would love to have E-brakes, in such a feature loaded vehicle this seems a rather glaring omission.

One thing i am still doubtful is whether Apple CarPlay can be used wirelessly or it has to connected via USB Port, forgot to ask the sales rep.

Overall a good package looking at the styling and engine/gearbox combinations.
Hope Kia brings in the all black leather interiors, otherwise have to rethink my booking of GTX+ DCT.
sidenzo is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 20:27   #1581
Senior - BHPian

Went for a movie yesterday at PVR cinemas in Crown Plaza mall in faridabad. Was pleasantly surprised to see Kia motors opened where once used to be Delite Honda. As they had opened yesterday only the staff was bare minimum and so was the furniture. However, they had a grey Seltos in display. I had only few minutes left for the show and inspite of wife's protest I went in to check the car

SA informed me it's a diesel and one variant below the Top variant. Which i guess is HTK. Didn't bother clicking any pics as the car has been already covered here entirely.
Our observations -

1. Chrome at front is overdone but the LED headlamps gel in really well. Couldn't check the DRL effect. I can live with the front.

2. Back looked fine. Gave me a lot of Creta vibes. As many members here pointed out Seltos looks lengthier than Creta but shorter in height. IMO it suits it quite well.

3. Boot space is quite good and must be on par with Creta. Sales guy specifically mentioned there main competition is with Creta itself. He mentioned a price range of 11-16 lakhs. And was adamant that introductory price will be lower than Creta which I find hard to believe as Seltos looks much better than Creta both inside and outside.

4. Couldn't check back seat as 2 gentleman were firmly sitting in them. But at cursory glance it looked a tight squeeze for a 3rd person. Front seats looked good but under thigh support was a bit less for my liking. However, sitting comfort was fine.

5. Lovely steering. Maybe one of the best I had felt. But, at its highest point it still felt bit lower to my liking.

6. I am 6.1, when I set the seat height to my comfortable position there was barely couple of inches left from the roof. A nasty pothole may result in a head bang.

7. I am use to of Honda City interior space. Maybe, that's why Seltos looked a bit compact interior wise.

8. As per sales guy Diesel top end will come with 6 airbags. Forgot to ask him whether the same will be for automatic as well.

9. Air purifier looked more like a gimmick. Functionality will be tested during TD.

10. They still dont know when Automatic TD vehicles will come so left my no. with them.

11. MID showed 183 kms and 10.1 kmpl. If manual is showing 10 kmpl then automatic may go down to 7-8kmpl. Now I am used to of 17-18 kmpl of City and 15-16 kmpl of Tiago within NCR. So, these mileage figures are too low for me and a deal breaker. Will reserve my judgement on this till i do a TD and test it myself.

12. White or off white whatever color seats had is absolutely stupid in our conditions. They will get dirty within a couple of days. And if you have kids then be ready to do dry cleaning every month. All black seats would have been much better.

So, overall I wasn't overwhelmed or underwhelmed by Seltos. It may look like an upgrade from my City when it comes to interior quality but if I look at the space provided then City obviously has lots more. Now, all depends on pricing and TD.

On a side note my Wife who really loves City wasn't too impressed by Seltos and kept insisting City is much better than Seltos anyday.

Last edited by harry10 : 6th August 2019 at 20:31.
harry10 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 21:01   #1582
BHPian

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept)

Received this product catalogue from my sales rep, he says it's official but it looks more like a document assembled from the leaked information available on tbhp!
-edit-
Uploading the brochure in form of images as the pdf is getting corrupted when uploading on tbhp.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-screenshot-20190806-9.18.52-pm.png  

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-screenshot-20190806-9.18.55-pm.png  

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-screenshot-20190806-9.18.57-pm.png  

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-screenshot-20190806-9.18.58-pm.png  

Last edited by ramansh : 6th August 2019 at 21:22. Reason: pdf getting corrupted when attaching.
ramansh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 21:38   #1583
Senior - BHPian

I was passing by the KIA showroom today and I saw 2 cars parked - one inside and one outside. Since I had already booked a KIA a few weeks back I thought I'd check it out. It was raining absolute madly and the showroom still under the last bits of construction. This one actually was hardly furnished and work in progress. However I could see a few similar faces from Toyota who left and joined - possibly promoted and hence hopped on to new job.

I asked to see the car and there was a GT Line optional Petrol parked inside and Diesel Manual top end for TD vehicle.

The GT Line was very well equipped and the HUD display was quite unique. The interiors have a mixed reaction from my side. I have to be honest that I drive an Innova Crysta 2.8 Z AT and sitting in this car made this look smaller and also the overall build quality is pretty average compared to the Toyota Interiors. Having said that the amount of gadgets and gizmos on this car are quite a lot.

The HUGE screen looks slightly out of proportion.

The steering looks and feels awesome.

The seats are good and roomy. I am 5'11 and pretty large and this car was well.

If one complaint I have was the roof cladding or carpet looked extremely cheap in the beige color. Also even the seat was set to lowest height and I still found the height a bit uncomfortable - tall people are not going to be very happy with this car.

The features on this car are all over the place and I did not even bother making any comments or asking the SA. There is more info here than possibly even at Kia's Head office !!

The surprising bit was there was no BOSE badging on the GT Line and there was BOSE badging on the Diesel Manual !!

The cars had the Bharat 6 badge also at the back .

Now lets come to a very small 2 km ride. I was running very short of time and I will be sent the TD vehicle tomorrow. They are expecting the AT variants tomorrow.

The car drives very well. I revved it and it responded beautifully. The engine is super super silent. There is absolutely no noise. The steering very light. The front of the bonnet reminded me of the Ford Endeavour ( Slightly lesser aggressive but you get the hint ! )

Braking top notch. I drove the car over a very messy puddled road and the car took it well.

The LED's on this car are a beauty.

The car wireless QI charging did not work on both cars. I asked the SA and he smiled and so did I. Just remembered this and thought I'd mention it.

Now lets wait for the price.

Sorry for the cluttered haphazard information.
vkochar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 22:01   #1584
BHPian

Kia Seltos likely to get a performance focused variant. I dont think this will be part of the launch variant list, but could be introduced after a few months or in 2020. Looks like Kia have a clear road map for Seltos.

Link
Old 6th August 2019, 22:32   #1585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
Hyundai has moved to VGT Diesels long back and now with the 1.4,1.6 crdi. Seltos should be a VGT as well.
Are you sure? I drive a 1.4 crdi and it’s a FGT. Even the 1.2 diesel is FGT. Only the 1.6 is a VGT and that’s why the question.

Part throttle inputs are great in these Hyundai diesels with FGT and that’s about it really. If you adopt a pedal to metal driving style, you’ll end up swearing at the dismal performance. That’s what I go through with my 1.4 crdi. :(

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 6th August 2019 at 22:33.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 22:42   #1586
BHPian

Any idea what "Booking ID" you get after prebooking means? I was going through my phone and my Booking ID is B201900032. Wondering if that means I'm number 32 in the queue to get the car? I do understand that the actual delivery would depend on other factors like the dispatch schedule & color/trim selected.
Old 6th August 2019, 23:41   #1587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10nitin View Post
Any idea what "Booking ID" you get after prebooking means? I was going through my phone and my Booking ID is B201900032. Wondering if that means I'm number 32 in the queue to get the car? I do understand that the actual delivery would depend on other factors like the dispatch schedule & color/trim selected.
When did you book the car ?
Old 7th August 2019, 00:12   #1588
BHPian

Autocar to come out with their driving impressions on 9th of August.

You can read more here

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...evealed-413613
sreejinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 00:43   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
When did you book the car ?
I booked it on the 17th of July.
10nitin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 02:44   #1590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
So with this news of the GTX+ DCT, can someone explain to me are there any other features missing? Or is this a real "top-end" ? The whole line-up has been too confusing so far.

What is the Diesel Auto missing ?
GTX +DCT is a real top end

Diesel auto misses out on safety, like electronic stability control and curtain airbags
No 360 view camera and front sensors too
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks