Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2019, 10:07   #2896
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think the pricing is okay. Nothing to complain about, nothing to write home about.
Further to my earlier post, the pricing also shows Tata's confidence in its product & how its brand is slowly & steadily being repaired (from the doldrums it was in a decade ago). There are more people speaking positive about Tata, although there are a lot who still wouldn't consider the brand at all.

I wish though that Tata had done an "XUV500" with the pricing. Tata is clearly focused on profits too at this stage. The XUV500, on the other hand, was a blockbuster due to the irresistible pricing on a competent product. How many cars have had lotteries for allocations in the last decade?

What Mahindra did is make the XUV500 appealing even to those who wouldn't have ever considered a 15-lakh rupee Mahindra otherwise. That won't happen much with the Harrier. Those who were open to the Tata brand or sitting on the fence will buy the Harrier. But the pricing has not given the brand skeptics any reason to convert (unlike the XUV500 which was the first Mahindra for a LOT of families).

Mahindra's marketing machinery is indisputably the superior to Tata's. Just see how they're able to sell the antique Bolero (Tata gave up on the Sumo long back), outdated Scorpio & the XUV500's success. Tata's competent Hexa, as an example, has been in the triple digits only.

Last edited by GTO : 24th January 2019 at 10:09.
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 10:23   #2897
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
I wish though that Tata had done an "XUV500" with the pricing.
Its indeed puzzling to me that they did not as most of the supply chain is in house and they offer the Hexa, Safari and Nexon at a comparatively better pricing. This is surely a missed opportunity.

I can only guess that this is more a brand building exercise to show confidence against Hyundai. That said I think for the XUV the H7X is the real competitor and if autocar is to be believed by pricing the H7X with a 1 lakh over the XUV they might yet steal a march and then since both the Creta 7 seater and the new XUV is at least a year away really dominate the 7 seater market.
nainan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 10:26   #2898
BHPian

IMHO the Harrier is awesome value for money when you compare with the Compass. It is quite well equipped and the tan leather seats are far more practical. Its bigger in the flesh and has a great design.

I was sitting on the fence until I had a chance to see the Harrier in flesh and after checking the Harrier out in person, went ahead to book the Compass The compass, when compared spec to spec, felt overpriced but I was unable compare these in such an objective way.

The compass had the aspirational slant to it and then there's the way it felt.. the Jeep logo on the bonnet, the alpine leather seats, the refinement inside, the golf ball like gear knob and that steering wheel (ignoring the blanks) feels just great at this price when I compared the XUV and the Harrier. And to me, it felt ergonomically superior and I could find the perfect driving position here which I struggled with the other two.

For someone spending 20 big ones, these seemed to matter a lot.

And I'm not certain that the harrier will significantly impact the sales of the compass from where it currently is. The harrier's imminent launch and the 16-21L OTR pricing was not the best kept of secrets from Tata and still Jeep moved 1150 units of the compass towards the end of the year. It is a far cry from the original 2500+ units but I believe it will continue to find 1000+ takers a month despite the Harrier. And so will the XUV at least until Tata launch the 7 seat version.

And I don't find the Jeep badly priced at all. In fact in other markets such as the UK, the compass is priced only marginally less than the XC40 or the X1 and comparable to the Tiguan. Here its almost 2/3 of the price. I must agree that the X1 or XC40 is superior to the compass in every way, but still the compass does feel very premium and european and does not feel overpriced for what it offers.

I'll be picking up my compass next week and will have paid 4L more than what I'd have paid for the Harrier. But if I was thinking through my head, I'd have picked up the new Ertiga instead
clementj is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 10:41   #2899
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
The sales advisor at KHT just sent me the OTR prices
TCS scam?

Thanks to Pradyumna for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
In this post, TCS @ 1% is calculated wrongly @ 24,372. Is the calculation correct? I don't see anyone speaking about the same.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 10:52   #2900
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
TCS scam?

Thanks to Pradyumna for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!
There is a GST from Jan 1st on the TCS as well. We are now paying GST for the Tax as well!

So for ex showroom of 16,25,000, TCS is 16,250 + 8125 (0.5%).

Ideally the rule says GST needs to be on taxable value of the car which includes TCS so looks like this is a shortcut method to include GST.

Since ex showroom already includes GST, there was no simple way to add GST to the TCS amount.

https://www.indiatoday.in/amp/busine...320-2019-01-04
Vid6639 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 10:56   #2901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post
I'll be picking up my compass next week and will have paid 4L more than what I'd have paid for the Harrier. But if I was thinking through my head, I'd have picked up the new Ertiga instead
Couldn't agree more. At this price point, customers have certain quality, fit and finish and safety expectations. Consider a ~12L sedan from VAG or Creta; the fit/finish and ergonomics are excellent. The Harrier interiors in general are really nice, but the touch points/ergonomics could have been a lot better (for example steering wheel, front door lock). Anyone spending ~15-20L OTR for a car would appreciate these details.

What is also dismal is the relative lack of safety equipment in all but the top end variant (also mentioned by others earlier). Ford for example provides 6 airbags for the hatchbacks as well. You cant tout safety consciousness on one hand (Nexon is great at that price point) and skimp on the more premium offering! Wonder how much more expensive would a better steering wheel and 6 airbags and other safety kit (ESC, CSC, etc) added to the cost of the base/mid variant? 50k? It would have made the Harrier invincible IMHO.

Will wait for the XMA+ variant...
sprocket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 10:57   #2902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post

And I don't find the Jeep badly priced at all. In fact in other markets such as the UK, the compass is priced only marginally less than the XC40 or the X1 and comparable to the Tiguan. Here its almost 2/3 of the price. I must agree that the X1 or XC40 is superior to the compass in every way, but still the compass does feel very premium and european and does not feel overpriced for what it offers.

I do tend to agree with you, in my opinion the Compass is a properly sorted, well engineered, and also a well priced product, i mean Jeep could'nt have done anything better than what they did with it, and it totally deserves the premium it commands over Creta, its direct rival (which i also happen to own).

I mean the fantastic build quality, even the paint quality, the powerful engine, the handling, the brakes its all vastly superior to Creta (okay maybe not the engine but the rest of the package is clearly leagues ahead). It is without a doubt from a segment above but not so much when it comes to the pricing. The Jeep brand and in my opinion much better looks than the Creta too further strengthen its case.

The compass feels more like a rival to the Tucson and its a shame and i still scratch my head as to why it couldn't replicate the smashing success of the Creta, even if we consider Creta might sell more because of the lower variants, then even the XUV, at one point it also was very sucessful in its own way, Compass can do much better.

Anyways, congratulations on your decision and i most likely would have picked Compass too (i really hate that i literally ran out of options when i bought the Creta and here we are with 2 much better products), the Harrier is amazing in its own right and the best car by an Indian car company by a pretty large margin and in my opinion an absolutely fantastic looking product, again priced well (Creta ) but then you get 170 horses in the compass and less weight and this on itself makes a solid case for it.

Last edited by SDP : 24th January 2019 at 12:21. Reason: Trimming the quoted post
Rocketscience is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 10:59   #2903
BHPian

Is there any idea why they are not launching an automatic version? Does it cost that much to have an auto-box? Small cars also have automatics (in different versions such as AMT, CVT etc). It need not be a DSG but why not a simple auto box?
Old 24th January 2019, 11:05   #2904
BHPian

Orcus White Harrier courtesy Autocar Tweet
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20190124102710_tataharriershowroom.jpg  

uday.ere is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 11:12   #2905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the pricing has not given the brand skeptics any reason to convert
Clearly the focus is profitability and brand building and rightly so. When Mahindra launched the XUV, it was not just the pricing that won it buyers but the fact that there was ( and continues to be ) a SUV craze and there was nothing in that price band for the typical C or D segment car buyer to choose from.

Coming to Harrier, the segment has a few players and a very dominant one ( Creta ). No point in pricing very low because the Creta and XUV anyway have the ability to get those "brand skeptics" through dealership level discounts. So why would Tata want to price low and lose on profits ?

Rather they can focus on the "non-brand skeptics" first with a genuine pricing and once sales picks up the "brand skeptics" can re-think and join in if they want to.

Last edited by narayan : 24th January 2019 at 11:42.
narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 11:15   #2906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanam View Post
Is there any idea why they are not launching an automatic version? Does it cost that much to have an auto-box? Small cars also have automatics (in different versions such as AMT, CVT etc). It need not be a DSG but why not a simple auto box?
Yes, it's been discussed a lot already on this thread. Go back a few pages and you will find them. Or try searching this thread for specific details.
Old 24th January 2019, 11:17   #2907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanam View Post
You will need to read through the entire thread to figure that out. In simple words, the AT is expected around the festive season (Sep/Oct) due to delays in finalization with Hyundai which is supplying the AT box.
Old 24th January 2019, 11:22   #2908
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
There is a GST from Jan 1st on the TCS as well. We are now paying GST for the Tax as well!

So for ex showroom of 16,25,000, TCS is 16,250 + 8125 (0.5%).

Ideally the rule says GST needs to be on taxable value of the car which includes TCS so looks like this is a shortcut method to include GST.

If it's only the TCS that has been taxed, that amount is 50% GST. I think they are deceiving the customers with the wrong calculation.
Old 24th January 2019, 11:26   #2909
BHPian

I recall TML had a thought of "customisation" on Harrier. Did anyone check on this aspect with the dealer?
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 11:36   #2910
BHPian

A XZ+ with the following would make me a customer, I don't mind paying a lakh or two over this for that.

1. Automatic

2. Bigger, better Alloys

3. Sunroof

4. More color options, probably black?
autohead115 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks