Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2019, 16:48   #2971
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more pictures I clicked during my test drive;

Checked out the Harrier in non showroom environment at peace;

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-1548414975807.jpg

& also in the showroom;

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-1548414989123.jpg

The rear legroom with the front passenger seat pushed all the way ahead;

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-1548415027642.jpg

^ Its good, but i was expecting more thanks to people describing the space in earlier posts on this thread.

With the Nexon;

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-1548415052207.jpg

^ Fun fact, The Ground clearance of the Nexon is 209 mm whereas for the Harrier its 205 mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Look at the Torque curve of the engine in this tune vs that of the 170 Bhp tune in Compass.
Thi engine in this tune puts out more torque upto 2000rpm, about the same till 2700 and then the curve starts dropping.
If you get a chance to TD again try up-shifting early and putting the A pedal to metal, and again up-shifting as soon you reach 2500rpm or so.
You will actually get to feel the torque curve.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4533783 (Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs)

^ Check the 1st pic in the above post from my test drive report, i already drove it at low rpms (pic shows 4th Gear @ 1600 rpm). Did a host of things including high rpm/redline gear changes (wheel spin 1st to 2nd) & also low rpm torque tests/ pulling power & then derived my observations. For me i like driving (like most of here), changing gears manually & for which the clutch has the be intuitive which i did not find it to be in the Harrier as its too light which was a major deal breaker for me. Regarding the Torque curve or Torque-ee-ness it was pretty satisfying no complaints for that but then was the engine noise/refinement which was very evident and couldnt be ignored hence needed a mention.

Last edited by karan561 : 25th January 2019 at 17:06.
karan561 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 17:55   #2972
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
As for the sunroof, everybody thinks they live in a Mediterranean climate until reality hits them. Ony use in Inida are for cheering fans after an Indo-Pak cricket match and for parent who want to kill their kids.

However in Bangalore, the winter weather makes it viable as also early morning.
Though I agree with your points on climate and kids, I'll love to have sunroof.

One doesn't need to open the glass, just open roof lining. The cabin feels more airy; provides good view for major part of the 24 hrs. In my opinion, only in northern Indian summers from 9am to 4pm, one will be required to close the roof lining in order to keep things cool inside cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
I wish my car had a sunroof (a panoramic one if money permits) so that my 3 year kid and parents sitting behind me could enjoy all the greenery... For the rest of the time (in cities or in summer) I will keep it closed though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I am sure would host the sunroof button in some months. Like it or not, sunroof has become one of those features which a lot of Manf like to tick.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 25th January 2019 at 18:00.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 18:42   #2973
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Can anyone comment on this "glovebox with laptop tray", does the tray slide out for using the laptop or is it only for storage??
Old 25th January 2019, 19:16   #2974
BHPian

The car looks imposing on the road. And this orange color looks great in person.
Spotted this one driving around chennai.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-11e2a89693be42d99a5ba2ada16cca23.jpeg  

Parthasarathig is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 20:37   #2975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
1. How sunroof is relevant in the Indian weather context as a luxury item? Why I should pay for it if I don't want it?
IMO, sunroof is quite useful when the interiors are all black. It makes the car look airy without opting light beige interiors. I went for all black interiors in my ride. However, I can always open the roofline if I want to make interiors bit airy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I'm surprised there are no print ads in the newspapers.
I had seen Harrier advertisement on my facebook profile. I guess, Tata is opting for digital marketing currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Just Test Drove the Harrier;

My initial observations are as under;

3) Engine is loud and unrefined after 50% of the rev range.

8) Everytime you change the mode there is a lady talking to you and informing you what mode you are in (WoW , but very annoying and unnecessary).
Initial reports depicted that only pre-production versions could have higher NVH. I believe that Tata has not reworked after pre-production version to curtail NVH into acceptable limits. Is it too much irritating?

Does Tata provide an option to switch off the mode indication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
As for the sunroof, everybody thinks they live in a Mediterranean climate until reality hits them.

I doubt Tata will introduce the sunroof. They will not get the return on investment to engineer this. If it uses the same roof panel of the Freelander, we might get a fixed panoramic roof but that adds a good 30kg onto the car.

Its like us wanting a 1000W stereo !
I have not seen the Harrier interiors personally. I wish to know that if it is on a darker side. Sunroof could really lit up the interiors then.
However, I am also against allowing children to stand up on the seats with sunroof open while driving the car. You could always allow while a car is on standstill. Safety first!

Thanks.
RedStallion is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 21:09   #2976
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Just Test Drove the Harrier;

My initial observations are as under;
Thanks Karan! Almost all your observations are pretty accurate and I found myself nodding the whole time I was reading your post.

Quote:
18) The car beeps once you cross some speed (under 100kmh too it happened)
Unfortunately all new cars are coming with this as per a new Indian govt regulation. A single beep when you cross 80kmph and a constant buzz once you cross 120kmph.
Very irritating!!

Last edited by SDP : 25th January 2019 at 21:10.
SDP is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 21:19   #2977
Senior - BHPian

Coimbatore has the Harrier at Tafe Access. Test drives are available. Made a 10 min visit. Was left undisturbed near the vehicle for the first five (which I prefer), a sales rep walked to me after that and explained a few features (things which most of us know here). He was familiar with each trim level without referring to a brochure.

Was offered a test drive which I declined and postponed for a later day because of having been in traffic for around three hours and the fatigue. He was non-intrusive and friendly.

On the outside, the car is big, the Creta is no match for the sheer road presence this has. The Tuscon is an equal here. The tires are chunky and adequate MRF Wranglers.

On the inside, the seat was raised by a previous visitor, so I sat in and lowered it down to its lowest position, which allowed me to see the floor at about 10-12' in front of me. So very good frontal view through the windscreen. I didn't have to push the seat back and got into a comfortable position in less than 5 seconds, which included pumping the seat down. The legs didn't foul with the centre console in either the raised or the lowered positions.

I moved to the backseat and checked for space. I rarely travel in the back seat of any car. I had 4 inches of legroom at the knee. Plenty of room over my head as well. I'm 6'2" and have a slim build. Both seats were comfortable, didn't feel soft so good for long drives.

The oakwood finish on the console was covered with a thin film that's protecting it from scratches before delivery. My guess is some of the people who said it wasn't good might have mistaken the film for the shiny plasticky finish. Shutlines were good, doors closed in a single action. The boot can hold a fair amount of luggage or a small fridge, if you so like.

I will take a test drive and add on to my observations. I didn't switch on the engine or check the screens or anything else.

P.S: This is the first time I have walked into this showroom in 7 years. The last time I was here was to pick up my Vista.
discoverwild is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 21:45   #2978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post

On the outside, the car is indeed big, the Creta is no match for the sheer road presence this has. The Tuscon is an equal here.
Agree, saw it today evening while driving back home, it is indeed big and has great presence. IMO its being compared with Creta only because its a five seater, in all other areas like road presence, size, space, engine etc. it is a segment above.

A lay man would easily see them as cars from two different segments.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th January 2019 at 22:28. Reason: Minor formatting
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 21:57   #2979
BHPian

Tata Harrier TVC unveiled.

uday.ere is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 22:23   #2980
BHPian

Is it just me or anybody feels that alloys shown, are smoked one?

Tata really wants to emphasize on the pedigree of the Harrier. In addition, Tata is trying to depict the Harrier as a luxury vehicle. So, Tata now has to definitely bring panoramic sunroof at least.

Tata should bring some elegant colour schemes to ooze out the luxury quotient.

IMO, they could have shown LED day time running lights as turn indicators as well. However, the last touch when Harrier is on the ship, done tastefully.

@neoonwheels, I was talking about the helipad ground on which Harrier was parked. (First letter of Harrier)
Attached Images

Last edited by RedStallion : 25th January 2019 at 22:32.
Old 25th January 2019, 22:28   #2981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStallion View Post
However, the last touch when Harrier is on the ship, done tastefully.
Precisely this is where the last impression looks cheap, thanks to that photoshop type graphics
neoonwheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 22:57   #2982
BHPian

Just thinking out a loud.

Can the Harrier Automatic be introduced with a higher state of tune 173PS with the Hyundai box?

Would make it a rad car imho.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th January 2019 at 07:26. Reason: Minor formatting
johannskaria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 23:17   #2983
Senior - BHPian

If the black surrounds around the fog lamps can be changed to body colour or reduce the size, it would look good. There is too much of the black opening in the bumper which kind of makes it little cheap to me.
Old 26th January 2019, 03:26   #2984
BHPian

After the Orange overdose, here are pics of a white Harrier - clicked by my friend in Mumbai. The rear 3/4ths are the best view.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20190125-20.15.15.jpeg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20190125-20.15.12.jpeg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20190125-20.15.10.jpeg  

loki is online now   (33) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 03:32   #2985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
After the Orange overdose, here are pics of a white Harrier - clicked by my friend in Mumbai. The rear 3/4ths are the best view.
The white shade looks stunning, IMHO better than the Calisto copper. Anybody has seen the thermisto gold? I think the silver and grey would be too bland for this car.

The glossy black insert joining the tail lamps is nicely accentuated in the white shade. Looks very premium with the LED lamps.

Last edited by Th!ru : 26th January 2019 at 03:35. Reason: Added more comment
Th!ru is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks