Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2018, 18:20   #1471
BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Here is the link.

From the above link:-

It's built at Tata's Lucknow factory that previously built the similar Sumo Gold and Movus SUVs, and shares its X2 platform with those older models. Production should continue until mid-2019 when it's finally phased out.

After the Safari Storme's lengthy run, the currently nameless Safari replacement is due to begin in 2019. There's a strong chance it'll retain the Safari name, but will ditch the old X2 platform in favour of a version of D8, an architecture which underpins a number of Jaguar and Land Rover models. Test vehicles have been seen in India wearing Discovery Sport bodywork.

The new Safari will probably be built at the firm's Lucknow facility. JLR's Ingenium 2.0-litre diesel engine probably won't feature: instead a more affordable 2.0-litre Multijet diesel should be sourced from Fiat. Like the Harrier discussed earlier, that engine could get the option of a six-speed automatic transmission, possibly sourced from Hyundai.
This means the H7X is the "Safari" replacement and will be coming in the second half of 2019 and since the Harrier Auto box and 4x4 is slated to be launched with the 7 seater that too should be on the same timeline. Makes absolute sense. Hexa is to continue till 2024 as per the article so both H7X and Hexa will sell side by side and the platform will be facelifted in 2020 possibly with a BS VI engine.
nainan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 18:25   #1472
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

I am only limiting comments over here to what we know will be shared with the Harrier. Enough to say, what we observed, we quite liked.
I read somewhere that the rear suspension has been modified in Harrier. That may change the behavior (with regards to handling, ride quality). Hope it remains 'multi link independent' type and they wont go for a 'semi independent' type in the interest of cost saving.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 22:57   #1473
Distinguished - BHPian

Production-ready Harrier spotted during a high-altitude testing run at Ooty by a Wheelmonk reader.

Petrol being put through it's paces?

Also notice the differently shaded alloys.

Quote:
Another interesting fact that caught our attention was the way the Harrier’s engine went through the gears, hinting at the fact that this particular model could have been a petrol automatic on the test.

The spied model sports alloy wheels and a rear spoiler which says that the model is a higher-spec variant of the Harrier petrol.
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharrierpetrolautomaticspied.jpg

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-tataharrierpetrolautomaticspied2.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 23:26   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Production-ready Harrier spotted during a high-altitude testing run at Ooty by a Wheelmonk reader.

Petrol being put through it's paces?
So a petrol automatic is being tested now. Any idea if it will be a derivative of the turbo-charged 3-pot engine of the Nexon or a different engine? I'm not able to access the Wheelmonk site from my phone for some reason.
Old 12th November 2018, 23:36   #1475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  • Good space for 5 passengers but for the +2 folks, it is a joke
  • . Does this mean that the model tested was sporting those jump seats to make it an "official" 7-seater ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 23:42   #1476
BHPian

Quote:
Us Bangalore Mods tested a Discovery Sport over the weekend. Based on our observations on the chassis
  • Good ride over rough roads, slightly firm but liveable. Bumps are dispensed with at ease.
  • Slight pitchy movements at higher speeds
  • Good space for 5 passengers but for the +2 folks, it is a joke
  • Well weighted steering
  • Pretty good handling - not BMW X3 type but competent

I am only limiting comments over here to what we know will be shared with the Harrier. Enough to say, what we observed, we quite liked.
Thanks a lot for the post. Nice observations. Now to get more specific where would you keep the Disco Sport in terms of ride quality within the desi (videshi's that are now almost desi) benchmarks -
1.) Duster
2.) XUV
3.) Innova
4.) Hexa

And in terms of handling -
1.) CRV
2.) Kodiaq
3.) XUV

My personal observation has been (without getting to comparisons above) that all independent suspension setup SUVs on Indian road conditions tends to have a lot of side to side movement with XUV leading the charts in that vigorous side to side movement at low speeds on broken tarmac. Just curious if you share the same sentiment ?
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 07:30   #1477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUE_AANJANEY View Post
Thanks a lot for the post. Nice observations. Now to get more specific where would you keep the Disco Sport in terms of ride quality within the desi (videshi's that are now almost desi) benchmarks -
1.) Duster
2.) XUV
3.) Innova
4.) Hexa
I am surprised you rate XUV above Hexa in terms of ride. I found Hexa to be quite close to duster and way ahead of XUV when it came to ride. Below is from our official review as well.

Quote:
Ride quality is one of the Hexa's strongest points. Rather, let me rephrase that = the Hexa's ride quality is AWESOME. Forget the Innova Crysta, there's no comparison with it. The Hexa easily meets or beats our ride comfort benchmark, the Renault Duster!!
Coming to the Harrier itself as the suspension is modified from Discovery sport, I would expect them to have leaned more towards increasing the ride comfort at the expense of handling.
Going by what Tata normally does to their cars.
vibbs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 10:35   #1478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stumbled upon this resource while researching Tata's future product roadmap. Admittedly, I was researching the Hexa. However, it has some interesting tidbits about the Harrier as well.

Here is the link.

This is not a official publication from Tata, secondly anything new from Tata is seen tested for minimum two years before launch. lastly Tata Safari has recently being approved by the Army, Tata cannot discontinue it so soon. Army orders till March 2020 are already in place.
Lastly Hexa is quiet new, and also on the same platform as Safari. The platform is also a ageless one, and will continue for a long time. At the most we will see another wheelbase and length, and another body shape in addition to the current ones.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 10:42   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
I think Tata has to holistically look at the Harrier's & H7X' (which will launch next year) direct competition landscape which is mainly Creta, XUV 500 & XUV 700 (Alturas G2/4) while pricing both its vehicles. And pricing will also have to be a function of where Tata as a brand is now. They will also keep in mind that Creta/ XUV 500 are proven products that will help XUV 700 (Alturas G2/G4) whereas they don't have any such product in the market right now.

For the H7x, Tata could start pricing around the top versions of XUV 500 W9/11 (to lure those customers) and move on to be just below the XUV 700 (Alturas G2/4) since Harrier's market report will be available by then (around Diwali 2019) and they should be able to make some corrections for H7x pricing later on, if needed.
All of this sounds like fine inputs into their pricing strategy. However, I think Tata cannot overlook the Hexa entirely while making their pricing decision. Its a good car, especially the Auto version, has good driving dynamics and is a 7 seater. Its available at 20 Lakh odd, OTR in Delhi at the moment. Granted it misses a lot of modern bells and whistles + is not available in AWD. But, even if you throw the missing pieces in, (and launch a face lift later) it might, hypothetically, have a fair value of 21.5 Lakh OTR. Therefore, while pricing the H7X, I don't think they will want to price it close to the Alturas (30 Lakh Ex Showroom). Perhaps close to 23-23.5 Lakh OTR?

Coming back to the Harrier, where will Tata like to position it vis-a-vis its other products? Maybe the top spec auto + AWD, when it launches will be close to its "leaked" 20 Lakh OTR. And its lower trim models, sans Auto, AWD etc. at the early Jan 2019 launch will top out at 18 Lakh OTR?

Just wondering out loud.

Last edited by moralfibre : 13th November 2018 at 10:59. Reason: Back to back posts. Removing note.
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 11:19   #1480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
This is not a official publication from Tata,
secondly anything new from Tata is seen tested for minimum two years before launch. lastly Tata Safari has recently being approved by the Army, Tata cannot discontinue it so soon. Army orders till March 2020 are already in place.
Lastly Hexa is quiet new, and also on the same platform as Safari. The platform is also a ageless one, and will continue for a long time. At the most we will see another wheelbase and length, and another body shape in addition to the current ones.

Rahul
While this is not an original publication from Tata this is:-

Tata Motors plans to complete new product portfolio by 2023-24: Guenter Butschek, CEO

The venerable X2 platform has been used on all Tata pickups and SUVs since the time of Tata 206 and the Aria/Hexa/Storme us a modified version of the same. However we know that the Harrier and all future medium-large passenger vehicles will use Omega Arc as has been clearly announced by the CEO so yes looking at the timeline all X2 based offerings should cease around 2024.

I for one would want the Safari brand to live on in a modernized all new avatar on a modern platform and looks wise the H7X seems to be perfectly poised to take over. What better tribute to the legacy of the Safari and an ample marketing opportunity to utilize the pedigree and of course the army connection.
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 13:02   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think they will want to price it close to the Alturas (30 Lakh Ex Showroom). Perhaps close to 23-23.5 Lakh OTR?
I think even Mahindra is testing market with a 30+ OTR, given how the Rexton fared. I believe when people didnt pay a lesser amount for a CBU Rexton, they will not be ready to pay a similar amount for the same product with a different badge.

Also given a choice even i will buy an Isuzu over G4 (if G4 is priced close to Isuzu) any day knowing its a far better built/proven product. The only issue with Isuzu is older engine, which should be changed next year i think.

So if G4 is priced around/over 25 OTR, it will become a very tough sell.
Old 13th November 2018, 16:30   #1482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I am surprised you rate XUV above Hexa in terms of ride. I found Hexa to be quite close to duster and way ahead of XUV when it came to ride. Below is from our official review as well.
Hey I'm sorry but I think I should have explicitly stated that the list of cars for ride quality and handling aren't in a ranked order but just mentioned randomly. I agree XUV should rank lowest in that list, having owned one in the past.

I was looking for Aditya's opinion on getting a bit more specific comparatively with respect to the vehicles mentioned.

In my personal opinion of riding in the 1st & 2nd row of Disco Sport, I could feel there is a pronounced side to side movement over broken tarmac owing to independent rear suspension setup, which is kind of common for all such setup cars on Indian road conditions. In comparison solid rear axle vehicles with a slightly stiffer or frequency adaptive dampers like Endeavor & Hexa have little side to side rocking. But a softly sprung rear axle setup like the older Rexton had too much vertical pitching at higher speeds on undulations.

Also I found quite a lot of nose dive on the Disco Sport during heavy braking.

I didn't drive the Sport so can't comment on the handling part but again comparative comments are welcome.

In short I'm trying to guess where would the Harrier lean in terms of ride and handling sharing platform and components from it's more expensive sibling.
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 17:25   #1483
BHPian

Hyundai Palisade has a similar setup of DRL's and headlamps as the Harrier. The trend is shifting towards these type of setup.

Image from Autocar facebook page.

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1542110069.112138.jpg
Old 13th November 2018, 19:23   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek19 View Post
Hyundai Palisade has a similar setup of DRL's and headlamps as the Harrier. The trend is shifting towards these type of setup.

Attachment 1817930
I know this is the Harrier thread but couldn't resist saying this - the palisade looks like a hearse! What were they thinking?
torquecurve is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 19:28   #1485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek19 View Post

This is indeed the new trend. We have already seen the new Santa Fe. Check the new Captiva here https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...nveiled-410395
Harrier seems to be right inline with the emerging styling trend, if not ahead of it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks