Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2018, 22:25   #1351
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
7) Petrol and 4WD will launch later on. Only Diesel and FWD is ready for now.
8) Will come with 2 firewalls for better NVH.
9) Top variants will come with 17” wheels whereas lower variants will come with 16”. Mostly to come with Goodyear tyres.
Music to my ears other than the rim size. I'm one of the few people who would prefer a petrol even if shopping in the Tucson range of vehicles. A brand new & modern four cylinder petrol from Tata should be interesting. I'm only looking to buy a couple of years down the line so I hope it is ready by then.

I know Tata had to suffer a lot for choosing 19" rims for the Hexa, but they still look great and there haven't been too many reports of blown tyres or bent rims, have there?

Quote:
10) TML has ditched Harman for Head Units and has chosen Visteon as the supplier for Head Units.
Probably because they have a JV in India.
VeluM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 22:36   #1352
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
I know Tata had to suffer a lot for choosing 19" rims for the Hexa, but they still look great and there haven't been too many reports of blown tyres or bent rims, have there?
Hexa XTA owner here. Trust me, it's a great thing that Tata is not going overboard with the rim size this time. R19 is simply NOT practical for Indian road conditions, be it for cracked rims or sidewall bulges or stiffer ride or the atrocious cost of replacement. Even R18 is stretching things, unless it is the fat high profile spec used in Endevour or Fortuner. 16 and 17 inch is the right way to go.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 5th November 2018 at 22:38.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 22:39   #1353
Senior - BHPian

Swift which wiped off Palio benefitted from 1.3L Fiat engine. Now the Harrier with Fiat 2L engine might cause issues to Compass !
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 23:19   #1354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Swift which wiped off Palio benefitted from 1.3L Fiat engine.
I remember how 'The Indian Car Scene' sub-forum's discription changed from 'Palios, VTecs...' to 'Swifts, VTecs...'

So yes, the Swift killed the Palio on this forum too!

Last edited by vipul_singh : 5th November 2018 at 23:21.
vipul_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 23:27   #1355
Senior - BHPian

I sincerely hope Tata reconsiders the design and tire size to match the dimensions of this SUV. The current bulky looking 5 spoke silver alloy is an eyesore. It’s more or less like BIG SHOW in a Armani suit who’s forgotten to wear a matching shoe but has instead slapped in a slip-on
Old 6th November 2018, 02:39   #1356
Senior - BHPian

Made a booking today. We went through the dealer route, since I had recently bought a Nano from them and they came home, made the process super easy.

While speaking to the sales rep, I guess, I knew more about the car, than what they were briefed.

Our plan is to go for the 4x2 Top end variant, with all the bells and whistles. Now let's see how the pricing is going to be.

Point to mention here, it's not just blind faith we have put in. Our Safari Storme just completed 96,000 kms and it has been ultra reliable. It still drives like new, rattles are minimal, electronics or any other part never failed. Apart from routine maintenance, we have never spent an extra paisa.

Now, eagerly waiting for January.
ashutoshb is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 06:58   #1357
BHPian

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. EDIT: Named Tata Harrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
I sincerely hope Tata reconsiders the design and tire size to match the dimensions of this SUV. The current bulky looking 5 spoke silver alloy is an eyesore. It's more or less like BIG SHOW in a Armani suit who's forgotten to wear a matching shoe but has instead slapped in a slip-on

Oh my god, that Big show reference made me laugh. But ain't Big Show just so big to compare because the Harrier has a great stance and proportion more like The Rock. Jokes aside, guess those silver alloys could be the 16 inchers for the mid variants. The top end will have better looking 17 inchers. I also feel SUVs are meant to have huge gaps between the wheel and cladding to show off their robust suspension travel for off roading and wheel articulation.

Last edited by karthick_b : 6th November 2018 at 07:00.
karthick_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 07:41   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Hexa XTA owner here. Trust me, it's a great thing that Tata is not going overboard with the rim size this time. R19 is simply NOT practical for Indian road conditions, be it for cracked rims or sidewall bulges or stiffer ride or the atrocious cost of replacement. Even R18 is stretching things, unless it is the fat high profile spec used in Endevour or Fortuner. 16 and 17 inch is the right way to go.
Quoting your post from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Suspension is superb. The multi link rear setup is among the most sophisticated you can find, even in cars costing more. Tata does specify unusually high tire pressures though. I run my car at 28psi, and the ride quality is truly magic carpet with next to no vertical or sideway movement. It is far more comfortable than the bumpy and unsettled Fortuner in any and every condition.

I have slip disc problem, and the Hexa with it's excellent seats and A+ ride has effectively become my daily driver.
Per this you run an unusually low tyre pressure on your car with the 19" rims, so interested to know how your experience with the tyres and rims has been.

Running 19" rims and being careful is okay, but my point is that Innova Crysta (for example) had an actual problem whereas with the Hexa it is more of a theoretical problem, other than the tyre replacement cost.

Anyway, just a point. I don't mind the rims on the Harrier, and at worst there will be showroom trade-in options hopefully.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 08:22   #1359
Distinguished - BHPian

I will go against the tide here. Though I have been with Tata for a long time, I am not feeling the excitement with the new SUV designs. Functionally they may be great. But I'm not able to connect to these models ( Harrier, Nexon, and even the Grande). Not that I am in the market for a SUV, or will be there for some more years, but the clean, well defined lines of the boxy Sumo, Sierra, the TL etc were something else.
condor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 08:42   #1360
Distinguished - BHPian

Harrier in Orange looks striking, barring the boring the alloy design. A brushed metal alloys would have given a better look.

TATA has put a good amount of efforts, needs to be seen how the actual sales numbers turn out to be. Most liked car on a forum seldom sets the sales charts on fire.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 09:50   #1361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some info on the Harrier by a source who wishes to remain anonymous:

5) Tech loaded, possibly having all features one can think of.
Sunroof? Are we getting an option of a panoramic sunroof?
Old 6th November 2018, 10:14   #1362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I will go against the tide here. Though I have been with Tata for a long time, I am not feeling the excitement with the new SUV designs. Functionally they may be great. But I'm not able to connect to these models ( Harrier, Nexon, and even the Grande). Not that I am in the market for a SUV, or will be there for some more years, but the clean, well defined lines of the boxy Sumo, Sierra, the TL etc were something else.
You got to live with it. Look at where the earlier Land Cruiser was and what it is today. That's what we are going to get. More aerodynamic designs in the interest of efficiency.
Old 6th November 2018, 10:38   #1363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Quoting your post from another thread:

Per this you run an unusually low tyre pressure on your car with the 19" rims, so interested to know how your experience with the tyres and rims has been.

Running 19" rims and being careful is okay, but my point is that Innova Crysta (for example) had an actual problem whereas with the Hexa it is more of a theoretical problem, other than the tyre replacement cost.
We are going a bit here, but I'll share my experience.

The stock tires on my XTA lasted for almost 50000km, until they were replaced a few days back.

During this period, I have had 3 instances of cracked alloys, and on three different wheels. They were all fixed at the nearby tire shop and thankfully, this has not happened again. Nonetheless, the thought of replacing 19'' alloys is frightfully expensive.

The tires were decently worn they were replaced. The wear was uniform across the width of the tread on all tires. It was not more towards the edges with a lesser used center, as is the characteristic of driving on underinflated tires. I reiterate my point. 28psi is not unusually low. It is just that we are used to seeing higher recommended pressures nowadays in the interest of fuel economy and emissions.

Sidewall bulges were a part and parcel of the MRF Wanderer experience on the Hexa. These bulges ultimately lead to two sidewall failures, which was the immediate cause of replacing all 4 tires. Else, I could have eeked out another 10000km from them. I lost them on a trip to Rajasthan with family. Thankfully, the second blowout happened on our way back and inside Gurgaon, so we were able to Uber home. For the next few days, my Hexa was the laughing stock of town, running on two 19'' alloys on the right side and two 16'' steel wheels on the left(one OEM Hexa stepny, the other from my Scorpio)

Replacing them was another experience. I wanted to try something better than the MRFs. The only other option in this odd 235/55R19 OEM size is the 'LR' co-branded Pirelli Scorpion Verde, which costs an eye watering 26k apiece. Absolutely nothing else is available. Alternatively, upsize to 255/55R19 which is more popular, has more options and is cheaper, but still costs 20-22k per tire. And risk compromising warranty and AMC coverage. I scoured tire dealers all over NCR, but nothing workable could materialize. Ended up buying another set of MRF Wanderers in the stock size for 49000/- net, including alignment and balancing. And I am still running them at 28psi

19 inch is great for show but is just not practical in Indian conditions on a touring vehicle. I strongly feel that had the Hexa been selling anywhere close to Innova Crysta's numbers, a lot more noise would have been made about its R19s. Believe me, it is for the good of all that Tata is going ahead with R16 and R17 on the Harrier.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 6th November 2018 at 10:47.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 10:41   #1364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
You got to live with it. Look at where the earlier Land Cruiser was and what it is today. That's what we are going to get. More aerodynamic designs in the interest of efficiency.
Old Land to current gen Landy's are not as drastic as the Sumo to Harrier. Aerodynamics, etc are there, but this one does not pull the heart's strings.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 10:43   #1365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Sunroof? Are we getting an option of a panoramic sunroof?
TATA might skip the sunroof as the direct competition in segment (Tucson and Compass) doesn't offer them. I would love to be wrong though.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks