Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2019, 10:40   #166
BHPian

re: Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs

Interesting!! Ideal for some one with a small-large family - parents and two kids, such as myself.

Feature list is confusing:

1. First thing you notice is the projector head lamps, give an impression that the car is loaded with features
2. a 8" touch screen ICE withe Android Auto and Apple Car play and push button start, further adds to this impression
3. Sliding and reclining middle seats, added head room, kudos.
4. detachable last row, excellent
5. flat floor for the middle row
6. blower vents for the 2nd and 3rd row

but then the oddities,

1. one report specifically mentions it has keyless entry, while another says it doesn't. I don't see any sensor near the handle, so not sure about this.
2. while on the door handles, is it just me or does it look a two sizes slimmer!!
3. fixed head rests on the front seats, but adjustable ones on the other two rows, bit odd isn't it?!
4. no arm rest, perhaps to make it more spacious.
5. Projector head lamps, but no indicators on ORVM. Which most likely means they won't fold electrically.
6. LED DRLs but no fog lamps

and finally the anticlimax:

1. dud of an engine. 72ps, seriously!!!
2. AMT option, I wish it were CVT atleast.

There is already talk of a turbo charged version coming next year, hope they provide it with a CVT (and perhaps a sunroof)
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 11:11   #167
BHPian

I just went through the whole thread and also did some googling about the same. I absolutely loved the concept, design and space management. They have liberated cabin space in a way even Honda would be proud.
Now coming to the topic of the engine. I seriously got thinking why they put a tiny 1-liter engine in a 7 seater. Then I saw images of the engine bay in some other portals. Then it struck me, the engine bay is pretty cramped even with a tiny engine.
  • Is it that in a mission to maximize cabin space and still keeping it sub 4 meters, they made the engine bay so tiny that only small displacement engine will fit there?
  • Is it that the car is designed from the ground up keeping in mind a small displacement turbo engine which is still under development (which will emerge with BS-6 implementation)?

I refuse to believe that the engine option announced at launch is the final version and not a stop-gap arrangement

Last edited by i_see : 20th June 2019 at 11:14. Reason: Gramatical error
i_see is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 11:14   #168
Senior - BHPian

The raised rear roof seems to be an interesting way to liberate headroom for the last bench.
Wished Renault had given it a bigger engine, IMO at full load it will struggle on the highways. Looking forward for detailed review and pricing. Hope Renault gets its right !
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-roof.jpg  

tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 11:21   #169
BHPian

I dont know if many would agree but I find that audio unit UI to be absolutely hideous aesthetically.
It was looking okay for a car priced like Kwid but above that .
Seeing that even in the Captur was shocking to me.

They really need to be updated.
Old 20th June 2019, 11:28   #170
Senior - BHPian

The raised rear roof may be making room for the roof mounted blowers for last row passengers.

If Maruti launches the rumoured 7-seater Wagon R with 1.2L engine, Triber would be affected a lot. Else it is a standout package in its class. I don't agree with its comparison with Ertiga, which is clearly a segment above car, with >4m length and >1.2L petrol engine.
ani_meher is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 11:46   #171
BHPian

Also noticed the AC vents on all rows !!!!!

I am seriously wondering how that 1.0 L will do all this apart from pulling 7 people as questioned by many.

Let us wait for official review and hope we get the answers.
Old 20th June 2019, 12:15   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
If Maruti launches the rumoured 7-seater Wagon R with 1.2L engine, Triber would be affected a lot. Else it is a standout package in its class. I don't agree with its comparison with Ertiga, which is clearly a segment above car, with >4m length and >1.2L petrol engine.
You are absolutely right, comparing Triber with Ertiga would be like comparing Ertiga with Innova.

There can be absolutely no price overlap between Triber and Ertiga. Entry level Ertiga is a better product than top end Triber.

Now that Renault has shown us that it is possible to make a decent 7 seater within the 4m restriction, we can only expect Maruti to provide similar or better packaging in their rumoured 7 seater version of Wagon-R. Till that happens, Renault will get the first mover advantage (similar to what they got with Duster).

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 13:38   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post

1. one report specifically mentions it has keyless entry, while another says it doesn't. I don't see any sensor near the handle, so not sure about this.

Keyless entry can be like Aspires' and Figos'. Door opening with the button in the key fob and engine start/stop with the push of a button on dash. This system is also called as keyless entry but what you are relating is 'Passive keyless entry' which involves a request sensor in the driver/passenger door handle.
myavu is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 13:43   #174
BHPian

The microsite is now up, along with the brochure. Understandably, neither are complete. Funny thing, they don't mention even a word about the engine. Perhaps not saying anything speaks louder at times.

Does anyone know if the proposed 1.0l is BS6 compliant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
This system is also called as keyless entry but what you are relating is 'Passive keyless entry' which involves a request sensor in the driver/passenger door handle.
Thanks for correcting, I meant passive entry. The Brochure does say 'Smart Access Card with Keyless entry'. I guess that would be it. Nevertheless, I don't see the sensor anywhere on the door. Perhaps the placement is behind the handle, just like in some Ford models.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th June 2019 at 19:48. Reason: Posts merged.
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 17:46   #175
BHPian

I am impressed with the innovation here While I did read a post that a dealer mentioned that this was a global unveil and India launch is far away, since the microsite is ready, is this an indicator of the India launch soon?
Old 20th June 2019, 18:14   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
While everyone is raising questions about Triber's ability to haul a full house of people especially in the hilly regions or inclines, we should remember that Maruti Omni, with a kerb weight between 785-800Kgs had a power of 34bhp@5000rpm and 59Nm@2500rpm and had been selling strongly till being discontinued even in the hilly regions, plying as taxis as well as private car for people with big families and those who needed to haul luggage.
Definitely appreciate your point on Maruti OMNI reference.

My point is that whether a customer who is going to buy a 7 seater MPV with given features and market positioning, will be comfortable with one liter engine !

It is not the question of ability to haul; for that matter, a 200 cc autorickshaw with just 17 NM Torque can haul 4 people legally or 7-8 people illegally . But how comfortably it is doing, that matters.

Here, what I feel, the engine could appear as a compromise on ease of driving or overall drivability of vehicle with 7 people onboard with multi-row air-conditioner on. It will not matter with 2 – 4 people on board.

If we consider the numbers; taking 7 people on board (Say 7*65 Kgs) and weight of vehicle as 947 kgs, the available Torque on paper will be around 68.5 NM/Ton and BHP number will be around 51 bhp/Ton. While these numbers may not be limiting in sedate driving but can invite driver’s frustration during overtaking or highway cruising.

However, as opined, a proper road test can throw more light on real life performance.

Last edited by Subby : 20th June 2019 at 18:16.
Subby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 18:38   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarStruck View Post
I am impressed with the innovation here While I did read a post that a dealer mentioned that this was a global unveil and India launch is far away, since the microsite is ready, is this an indicator of the India launch soon?
I personally do not feel that the Triber would be a global launch. A light wight MPV that has made compromises in interior space to duck below the India specific 4m small car legislation, and is powered by a 1.0L turbo petrol will evoke very little interest in other countries. Once the cost advantage of the small car rule is removed, even in India it would be a tough situation for the Triber. So the Triber should be made in India, for India type of a vehicle and I guess the launch should be really close.
Old 20th June 2019, 18:38   #178
Senior - BHPian

Per Autocar there is a turbocharged version of the same engine on cards which could give the Triber the much needed punch.

Source :-https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...se-look-413175
Old 21st June 2019, 08:06   #179
BANNED

Worth repeating what I have said earlier - in the last couple of years, every mfr worth the name seems to be offering each other's clones in a particular segment of the market - certainly with cosmetic differences & varying levels of candy-floss inside. But the basic hatch-on-stilts formula seems to have become a global staple. Not a bad thing perhaps, with minimal mfr investment in (first-principles) R&D, and the buying public quite happily dissecting the product around the coffee table.
Old 21st June 2019, 09:11   #180
BHPian

In my view, I don't look at Triber as an MPV or competitor for any proper 7-seater MPV in any terms. Renault has Lodgy for that duty.
Triber is more for those who would have bought Datsun Go+ but refrained because of poor quality product from not well-established brand.
The difference will be same as Kwid and Redi-GO.
Triber may not set sales charts on fire but would be a decent seller for Renault.
I guess Renault will definitely manage to sell 2.5 k to 3 k units per month.

I look at Triber as an option for those who are ready to spend 8-9 lakhs INR on premium hatch like Baleno or compact sedan like Xcent.
After-all we Indian's see at car through 'Bada hai to behtar hai' (bigger is better) lens.

Look at it as occasional 7-seater or comfortable 5-seater with huge boot
DriveOnceMore is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed