Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2019, 16:40   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs

This may be the dark horse or the sleeper hit from Renault: if only the engine is capable of pulling a pack full of well fed Indian family up the incline in a mall or apartment or hotel ramp. That said if Renault would get a turbocharged version of the same engine with an automatic then it would be a super duper runaway hit!
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 17:08   #257
Senior - BHPian

It all depends on pricing and how soon can Renault get a 5-seat CNG variant out, which will be lapped up by fleet operators in metros.

This model might repeat the Duster's success for Renault. You never know!

The model has already gathered around a thousand bookings in Indonesia where it was showcased at their version of Auto Expo recently.
fx45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 17:38   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
That said if Renault would get a turbocharged version of the same engine with an automatic then it would be a super duper runaway hit!
Totally agree with you, numbers could go up with an automatic. Not sure why they have not included an auto.
Old 31st July 2019, 17:54   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Not sure why they have not included an auto.
As per news reports an AMT version is already there and it will be released along with the manual. I don't think it will get a proper CVT.
Old 31st July 2019, 22:04   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Totally agree with you, numbers could go up with an automatic. Not sure why they have not included an auto.
There’s no space for anything inside the bonnet, basically. The CEO himself confirms that. No diesel or automatic gearbox will fit in there. Should give it to the bright minds at Renault for coming up with this MPV.

Someone mentioned Omni pulling 7 with a 35bhp engine. It could do that due to its RWD config. This Triber is FWD with a small petrol - great combo to haul 7 & luggage while running a 3 row AC compressor.

I’d be surprised if it got off a ramp in a multi-storey car park.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 31st July 2019 at 22:10.
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 23:12   #261
Senior - BHPian

I doubt the engine is as bad as most here think. No, it won't win any praises nor any drag races but it'll do the job. Probably, the first gear will be a bit shorter than normal to ensure the car can get up steep slopes.

My only fear is that the depth of engineering (e.g. crash safety, reliability, build quality etc.) is going to be compromised due to the price requirement. If Renault manage not to do that, this is a 100% winner.
Old 1st August 2019, 02:26   #262
Senior - BHPian

In a case of emergency, I had to ferry 8 people (including me) in a Redigo. It was highly unsafe, but it was getting dark, the distance was short, the road was deserted, there was no other option.

In the short drive of around 10 kms, the Redigo pulled pretty easily and didn't stall once. Nowhere I had to wring the engine. While driving over speed breakers, I managed to pull in second gear effortlessly. And it reached speeds of 50-60 easily.

With its updated engine tuned for the purpose, I believe, the Triber will do the job of ferrying 7 people, pretty easily.

Its not going to win any races. But, that's what it is being built for.
ashutoshb is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 19:15   #263
Senior - BHPian

I have used my Kwid Climber (1.0 litre, 91 Nm torque engine) in the ghats, climbing up the hairpin bends, with 5 of us adults + a couple of suitcases in the boot. Never felt short of torque. Never stalled. And mine is an AMT. I have done 5500 kms so far in the city and highways. As is the case with many AMTs, overtaking always needs some planning.

With 96 Nm of torque in a re-tuned engine on offer in the Triber, I do not see this as a deal breaker, particularly in case of the manual option.

I always buy 7 seaters. For people like me who use all 7 seats only occasionally but still can't avoid the 7 seat option considering extended family size, cars like this will be a good multi-duty option with an attractive smaller footprint in our congested cities compared to regular full sized MPVs
mooza is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 11:42   #264
BHPian

A Triber being test-driven in India

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_20190805_113305.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_20190805_113247.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_20190805_113229.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_20190805_113202.jpg

Mahi Bawatra's YouTube channel
jailbird_fynix is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 17:36   #265
BHPian

Checked the Triber out in a mall last night, must say I'm pretty impressed. Build quality seemed decent for the price it is speculated to be launched at, the interior feels airy, second row legroom after pushing the driver's seat and the second row both, all the way back, was more than sufficient for me; I'm 6'1''. Oh and the second row is slightly higher than the first row, so it felt more MPV like in the rear than in the front.

The third row was absolutely useless, if I buy one I'll get rid of the third row and use the Triber as a 5 seater with a MASSIVE boot.

The driver's seat didn't seem to be height adjustable, I asked the SA whether it is, she confirmed it is, but didn't know how to adjust it. So getting the right position for me was a bit tricky, will check it out again once launched. The car felt sorted in terms of ergonomics and features. The only thing I think it needs is a centre arm rest.

I'm not interested in Manuals, so I asked the SA if there'll be an automatic later and she said it'll have an AMT option a month after it is launched. That's great! I have an eleven year old Dzire which I might replace in the next year or two; the Triber ticks the right boxes for me, if it comes with an AMT; It's small enough for Mumbai, feels abuse friendly, easy to park, sufficient power for 5 people, massive boot for airport/shopping. I won't ever take it out of the city, so doesn't matter how it performs on the highway.
DeKay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 09:14   #266
Senior - BHPian

Is the Triber available in showroom? About the engine, Renault should have launched with a 1.2 Lit engine as they target Swift, I10 and Wagon R. The engine might be the biggest downer as the car is heavy (980 Kgs)

Last edited by Palio_2005 : 6th August 2019 at 09:18.
Old 6th August 2019, 09:56   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
The third row was absolutely useless, if I buy one I'll get rid of the third row and use the Triber as a 5 seater with a MASSIVE boot.
Hmm - that brings in another perspective. Most auto-mags so far have said that the 3rd row is very good. Indeed I also feel what you are saying is actually the best use for this car. 5 Seats + a really useful boot space for a regular Indian family's daily requirements.

The 7 seat setup might be a smartly designed ploy for USP to garner more interest and get people to showrooms. Keeping those seats fully removable is actually a good hint at the real intended purpose of the vehicle also. Makes sense.

Quote:
The driver's seat didn't seem to be height adjustable, I asked the SA whether it is, she confirmed it is, but didn't know how to adjust it.
Perhaps it had the same crude mechanism of the Duster etc? Where you need to get out of the car, peep under the seat to see a rudimentary rod that needs to be pressed & seat manually moved?
It is very likely that it might not come with this feature though. Its a car at economy pricing afterall. Some things might be given a miss.

Quote:
I'm not interested in Manuals, so I asked the SA if there'll be an automatic later and she said it'll have an AMT option a month after it is launched.
I think Renault said it won't be offered with an AMT. Also I feel with its small engine and high theoretical load carrying capacity - tuning an AMT will be very tricky. The AMTs get very confused on inclines even with moderate load. With 5 or more people and a 1 L NA petrol engine, the AMT will only keep shifting gears up and down & wont really move the car anywhere in such situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Is the Triber available in showroom? About the engine, Renault should have launched with a 1.2 Lit engine as they target Swift, I10 and Wagon R. The engine might be the biggest downer as the car is heavy (980 Kgs)
The engine bay has no space left for anything larger than what it currently houses. At most it may come with a turbo charged 1 L engine. 1.2L is pretty much out of the equation. Also - a larger engine means significantly higher cost. As of now considering the brand placements, the moment the cost starts going up, we Indians quickly turn towards our trusted brands rather than selecting an all new product. And Renault knows it far better than many others by experience here.
Old 6th August 2019, 10:21   #268
Senior - BHPian

I think Renault said it won't be offered with an AMT. Also I feel with its small engine and high theoretical load carrying capacity - tuning an AMT will be very tricky. The AMTs get very confused on inclines even with moderate load. With 5 or more people and a 1 L NA petrol engine, the AMT will only keep shifting gears up and down & wont really move the car anywhere in such situations.

=====
Post #186 has the pre-sales document which clearly confirms presence of AMT. All media reports confirm AMT as well. There is a car which has been spied with Easy-R badging (post by Mukund)
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 10:58   #269
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
I have used my Kwid Climber (1.0 litre, 91 Nm torque engine) in the ghats, climbing up the hairpin bends, with 5 of us adults + a couple of suitcases in the boot. Never felt short of torque. Never stalled. And mine is an AMT.
That's a very honest and positive post in this day of uber expectations from car manufacturers other than Suzuki, Hyundai and Honda.

The kind of space that the Triber offers with decent quality puts it way ahead of many offerings from the established players. Despite the wafer thin margins on smaller cars, Renault is working hard to give us ( and themselves) a good deal ! We must appreciate their efforts more. Talking negatively about weight, AMT, power etc when many competitors, who suffer from the same drawbacks, are spared isn't fair.
Very innovative and pathbreaking from Renault.
fiestarry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 14:01   #270
Senior - BHPian

According to Renault, Triber is built on a brand new platform and has 90% new parts when compared to Kwid. Part bin sharing is a common practice in the auto industry to reduce design and production cost and all manufactures resort to it .
So in my opinion we should not compare/associate this product to Kwid as the title of this thread suggests. Per Renault Triber is a completely new product and is going to start a new segment itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-28.jpg  

tj123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks