Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2019, 03:32   #406
BHPian

Re: Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
With the 35 hp engine (and 0.8T unladen weight), I have comfortably transported 8x50 kg fertilizer bags in the omni.

Triber is 950 kg and double the power. Brisk acceleration might be not there, but otherwise it should be able to leisurely transport the 7 passengers.

Also, the Eeco weights about 0.9 ton and has similar power/torque/seating numbers; it sells a good 10k copies a month after the Omni is discontinued.

Triber is gonna eat into the hatch as well as people mover segment; Renault has pulled a rabbit out of the hat, IMHO!
Thank you for bringing that up!
I hadn't thought about Triber this way and it reminds me of that one time when I had driven the Eeco on my Cousin's wedding ferrying some cargo. It was filled to the brim along with 3 of us sitting in the vehicle and not once it felt under powered or out of breath. Yes! The car had it's limitations but what more could I've expected from it?

In a similar way, Triber too would get all the job done with utmost sincerity in fact better in a lot of cases when compared to Eeco or Omni. It's the best of both Worlds, a worthy people & cargo mover and at the same time giving you that niche urban vehicle vibe in which one wouldn't feel like the person has compromised on something. Also, the safety on offer makes things a lot more sweeter. The Eeco & Omni are heck scary rides!
For a couple of lakhs more, Triber makes so much more sense.
YashD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 04:03   #407
BHPian

If only Renault had given sliding doors for the second row of seats like the Omni. I find these doors help liberate more space for the rear passengers to get in. However it comes with its own set of disadvantages as its not very user friendly after prolonged use the sliding mechanism starts squeaking.

Last edited by racer_ash : 29th August 2019 at 04:05. Reason: Typos
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 06:55   #408
BHPian

Handsdown Honest and Well sorted product, Priced impeccably.

Visited the Gurugram showroom on the launch day and came back thoroughly impressed with the offering at this price-point.

They did not have the TD vehicle ready at that time, so, reserve my comments on the performance. My humble observations:-

- Typical sharp Renault styling ala Captur and Kwid, but with some new flair.
Halogen Projector headlamps are standard through the range and the DRLs are placed in the fog-lamp housing (no fogs though).
Cladding provided on the front, back and wheel arches, the one on the side is wafer thin, almost sticker like.
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-visit.jpg

- Does not look sub 4m at all! Due to the flowing designs, even the 14" (165/80) Tyres don't look puny. (Suzuki should take some cues for the fender claddings).
Do checkout the LR Defender styled stepped roof, which houses the rear AC Vents and liberates head-room for the 3rd row.
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-side.jpg

- Rear also gets the scuff plates like the front and almost a flat rear-end.
'Eagle-eye' split tail lamps break the monotony.
Minimal Chrome on the stock vehicle, but they do have a 'Chrome' Package mentioned on their web-site for people looking for Bling!
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-rear.jpg

- The vehicle inside the showroom was carrying that package. Again see the stepped roof and muscular detailing.
Actually, in darker colors the bonnet and roof creases appear more appealing.
Blue is the color for MPVs these days! ( eh.. XL6?)
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-bling.jpg

- Doors open at a nearly a 90 degree angle. Dual tone themed cabin looks relatively premium.
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-ingress.jpg

- On the inside it really is a spacious 3 seater for a large family. Climbed directly to the last row to check out the Triber's USP.
Full marks to Renault for carving out the space. The flexi-seating is not a marketing gimmick and is quite easy to use.
The seats though are on a slimmer side.

- Good headroom and the option to remove and stow away seats is so smart, really.
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-scooped.jpg

- Check out the Adjustable headrests on the rear 2 rows and fixed grab-rails on all 3.
Rear gets adjustable roof mounted AC Vents and a charging socket.
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-adjustable.jpg

- And how does one control the air flow? a switch mounted between the front two seats. French Quirks!
Also, notice the air cooled storage box instead of centrally mounted AC Vents for the rear 2nd row passengers.
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-console.jpg

- They get cooling from the pillar mounted vents. Notice the extra long door open lever (it is noticeably long on the outside too) and the pull up door locks.
The middle row can recline and slide. Lovely to have that when used as a 5 Seater.
Also see the Speaker cover design, Attention to details is evident. Sound quality is ok with 4 speaker and 2 tweeter (front) set-up.
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-acside.jpg

- Controlled via a 8"inch touchscreen display. Software is on par with competition and provides Android Auto, Apple CarPlay and Video playback facility.
Really liked the door-unlock toggle located below the display, fitted like a lambo!
Gets push button start and a suave card shaped key. Also see the fabric seats with textured finish, they have good side bolstering.
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-display.jpg

- The front seats also house the Side Airbags. Plus 10 for safety
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-airbags-copy.jpg.ximg.l_4_m.smart.jpg

But, being built to rather attractive cost, there are some handicaps like single nozzle air spray mounted on the bonnet, some hard plastics, low res instrument cluster screen, no AMT, no BS6, pseudo McPherson Front struts etc. But overall fit and finish levels are great.

- Split tail lamps in action and the subtle Chrome package detailing. The rear door part houses the reverse lamp and the red area seems to be the reflector.
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-rear-lights.jpg

- Do note that the top-end vehicles do not have the dual tone alloy wheels as seen in all the marketing campaigns and even in the brochure too. They are an accessory.
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-ar_pk_triber_alloy_black_v1_1.jpg.ximg.l_6_m.smart.jpg

- Other cool and quirky accessories seen on the Web-site

Loaded version! Graphics and Carry On. The roof-rails did not seem to be that sturdy though.
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-kv-diamond-cut.jpg.ximg.l_8_m.smart.jpg

Illuminated gear lever, wouldn't it be great if the selected gear also gets a different color Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-ar_pk_triber_gear__illuminated_v1_1.jpg.ximg.l_3_m.smart.jpg

If the regular IRVM is plain jane for you!
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-aramtriber_irvmbackcover_1.jpg.ximg.l_6_m.smart.jpg

Wonder how the ORVM LEDs get connected to the blinker circuit.
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-oevm.jpg

- To sum up, the TRIBER leaves a good first impression. But, the elephant in the room i.e. the 999cc engine and its performance would need to be checked too. However, as mentioned earlier too, many underpowered cars have happily chugged on Indian roads for long.

For an outdoorsy family, At this price (7.3lacs Onroad! for the Top-end), it is really a steal.

Let's go camping!! GO TRIBER!!
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-easter-egg.jpg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th August 2019 at 11:03. Reason: Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.
Moto$apien is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 07:30   #409
BHPian

Brilliant pricing and more importantly, brilliant use of interior space. Gives the Japs a run for their money in this aspect. Way to go Renault!!
Old 29th August 2019, 07:45   #410
Senior - BHPian

I have to give it to Renault for trying to come up with something new in a segment crowded with Maruti.
The price indeed looks good and the package looks compelling.
Old 29th August 2019, 08:00   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
I have to give it to Renault for trying to come up with something new in a segment crowded with Maruti.
The price indeed looks good and the package looks compelling.
There is no other option for Renault, if they indeed have to survive selling cars here.
Triber and KWID will be their only hope for garnering volumes.

Its MPV Lodgy will be discontinued early 2020.

Shortly, it is speculated Renault's portfolio will be an all Petrol affair. Available Diesel engine will be axed before April 2020.

Quote:
Renault will not launch a diesel engine option since the firm will discontinue diesel engines from April 2020, when the new emission norms get introduced
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th August 2019 at 08:01.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 08:20   #412
Senior - BHPian

Although prices are attractive, I won't burn my hand buying it within a year of launch. Its based on Kwid platform, at this price point, I don't expect a niggle free experience.
fz_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 09:08   #413
Senior - BHPian

Is there any information about the crash test rating? Its a great buy provided it secures a reasonable crash worthiness too.

I am okay living with a small engine if it has a good low and mid range.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 10:46   #414
BHPian

Can somebody please explain what is a pseudo Macpherson strut?
nsbhagwat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 11:22   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
- Cladding provided on the front, back and wheel arches, the one on the side is wafer thin, almost sticker like.

- Does not look sub 4m at all!

- ... and almost a flat rear-end.

- Doors open at a nearly a 90 degree angle. Dual tone themed cabin looks relatively premium.

- On the inside it really is a spacious 3 seater .... seats though are on a slimmer side.

- ... Speaker cover design...
Good observations, Moto$apien, similar to what I felt, which are :

Bumpers -both front and back - are almost non-existent thanks to the 3999 mm length.

Front and rear quarter which are both panels and bumpers, appear to be made out of fibre / plastic and don't feel robust.

Rear has a similarity with BRV (have seen several BRVs with badly dented rear panels), so this is an area that needs to be taken care of. Rear door had a plastic cladding towards the lower side.

The rub-strips were pretty thin - and will need reinforcement. Pull type door handles felt huge and a class higher.

Rear glass area viewing area is quite small, as the blacked out portion is quite huge. Had the dashboard display not been provided, reversing will be a tricky affair, due to the (lack of) bumper.

Doors open wide and shut with down with a satisfying thud. Getting in and out should be easy. However, the plastic panels didn't look all that great - but for the speaker cover portion. There is a tiny speck of fabric on the hand rests.

I had opened the bonnet (which had a heavy feel) - it needed to be dropped down to lock (pressing it down didn't work). Half the bonnet (in the centre) was padded.

Cabin and dash (top end) was spacious, looked premium and were finished well. The instrument cluster looked good. Door speakers really stood out. 4 speakers are reported to be standard.

There were some eye sores in the form of screws and nuts visible openly, in some places.
vrprabhu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 11:55   #416
BHPian

This is the first Mature new product that takes advantage of the <4m. policy to promote smaller cars fully. The engine is a frugal 1000 cc. Fuel efficient and cheapest to insure.

The length,engine, space are designed to be full paisa Vasool. The only other piece of the puzzle is the service and ownership experience.

A stretched Wagon R ,even if 50k more expensive will throw a monkey wrench in this product's future.

This is the more practical vehicle design under 4m. Better than sedans with chopped boots.

I wish to see more boxy fuel efficient vans like this from other manufacturers.This product design's time has come as the 'SUV' look gains premium over the 'Sedan' look.

Boxy vans/mpv can be made to look like 'Suv' easily.

A welcome, practical addition to our needs as a multifunctional frugal vehicle.

Similar to the 'KEI' specifications of Japan , small, boxy, smaller engines, packed with technology. I think that is the way our market is headed.

This car is designed to give maximum bang for buck by keeping specs that conform to lowest taxation,excise, insurance, service cost.

I hope this product succeeds in our fickle market.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st August 2019 at 09:08. Reason: As requested
drsingh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 14:11   #417
BHPian

I had a word with my friend who is working on Renault-Nissan Technology and Business Centre Chennai. Info gained from him:
1. Most of the R&D of Triber has been from Chennai centre.
2. Renault is having high hopes on Triber and they believe this will help them in bringing back the sales. They have put so much efforts on this and R&D has been going on for a long time.
3. Renault want to create a new segment with Triber
4. Even though from same platform as that of Kwid, they have heavily worked on it emphasizing build quality.
5. 1lt engine is tuned to produce better low end torque. Power delivery will be smooth till 100Kmph.
6. There will be much powerful Turbo version of Triber in future. This is work in progress. Expected to available in 6months to a year. Maybe with BS6 launch.

Last edited by K_Drive : 29th August 2019 at 14:17.
K_Drive is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 14:37   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
I had a word with my friend who is working on Renault-Nissan Technology and Business Centre Chennai. Info gained from him:

6. There will be much powerful Turbo version of Triber in future. This is work in progress. Expected to available in 6months to a year. Maybe with BS6 launch.
The first 5 points seemed as if he works in the "business" part of the center & are lines that every sales advisor in the Renault showrooms is saying right now.

This last point. The 6th one...

If that comes true - B2 segment hatches & sub-compact sedans (Sub-4m) are really in for a hurrricane season.

Given Renault's disconnect with our market needs - I won't get my hopes high up for a turbo version just yet though.
Reinhard is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 14:54   #419
Senior - BHPian

Renault Triber TVC video shared by my Sales Advisor featuring Vishal and Shekhar.

AdityaDeane is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 14:56   #420
Senior - BHPian

Did the test drive today.

The engine is the weak link in the package. The Triber will struggle to keep up with cheaper alternatives on the road, let alone the Swift or Nios it is hoping to compete with.

I got a very budget feel while driving the car. The pedals, the steering, the grip from the thin tyres, the three cylinder thrum, and the terrible acceleration, all put together, scream 'budget'.

When I earlier visited the showroom, I was sold on the packaging, the fit and finish of the plastics, the features it offers and had made up my mind that this might be the next car in our family. But, the drive spoiled it for me.

I have driven the latest gen Swift. After driving that and then the Triber, I would feel like driving a car, one or two segments below.

There were only two people in the car, with both front and rear blowers on. If there were seven, I would have asked someone else to drive.
ashutoshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks