Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2019, 15:20   #346
BHPian

re: Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
....All that I am asking is that the government needs to intervene and put in some safety mandatories in cars, like it has been done in USA and few other European countries.....

I think the reason why it will difficult for the Govt. to intervene in India is because of the different modes of transport we have. Clearly, you can't have such a set of rules for private owned 'cars' alone, there has to be some general minimum for 'motorized passenger vehicles' if at all such regulations are brought in. The trouble is, that could practically mean auto rickshaws(three and four wheeled, with handle bar or steering) will be off our roads. As much as I love the thought, I have to admit it will put our transport system in complete disarray. That segment is extremely price-sensitive, even insisting on a better silencer will be disruptive. You can't have rules specifying high strength steel, ABS and Airbags for one set of vehicles, while others, sharing the same road space and carrying more lives per vehicle, are allowed to run with tarpaulin for roof.

Last edited by 2cents : 23rd August 2019 at 15:22.
2cents is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 16:03   #347
Senior - BHPian

As per this document on post #186 It clearly states that Triber is compliant with BNVSAP crash regulations AIS 98( Offset Frontal Crash @56Kmph) and AIS-99(Side crash @50Kmph). Not sure how Bharat New Vehicle Safety Assessment Program (BNVSAP) ratings correlates with Global NCAP star ratings.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-26.jpg  

tj123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 18:56   #348
BHPian

Visited Mysore rd showroom to test drive triber today. There were 5 adults and one kid. Total weight around 88+72+70+70+105+22(kid).. around 430Kg. (70Kg approximate for Sales Guy). Rest of the adults weight is accurate including kid.

Performance: Compared to celerio, pick up, acceleration is poor. I did not see the peppiness some else reported in the forum. Vehicle never launched in first gear and in second gear acceleration felt poor. Sorry, NO Peppiness.

Could drive in 1st, 2nd 3rd and 4th gear. All three people who drove is reporting NOT SO MUCH PICKUP compared to i10, santro, celerio etc.

Body make and plastics, Not sure if I can make a comment. Almost all cars now a days are what we call Kerosine tank metal. Very light, very cheap.
Even seats look some what cheap make but comparable to same class vehicles.

Plus points: The third row seat is more comfortable than Innova, which I have. Space inside is very high compared to Wagon R, celerio, swift type cars.
Suspension is good.

Other points:
Two keys will be given.
Only 14 inch wheel. Did not see 15 inch wheel and Sales guy says alloy wheels are on the offer but NO 15 inch.
Around 2000 cars are already in stock. Deliveries will start only after 28, after formal price announcement.
AMT will be available in one month or so. Accepting booking amount even for AMT version.
pogo0120 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 13:06   #349
Senior - BHPian

Renault Triber RxT variant walk around video (courtesy CarLand YouTube channel):-

The RxT variant gets the 8" touchscreen infotainment system, but misses out on Push Button Start, Rear Washer-Wiper-Defogger, Charging Point for the 3rd Row, front LED DRLs etc.

Renault Triber colors

Renault Triber 625L boot space showing how it can gobble up so many luggage bags in it's cavernous boot.

1 more video of Triber from Haldwani with 7 persons on board between Haldwani and Nainital (hilly areas of Uttarakhand), by YouTuber "Power Racer".

And one video showing the Interior and Exterior of the car and it's features by the same YouTube blogger.

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th August 2019 at 16:43. Reason: As requested.
Old 25th August 2019, 14:50   #350
Senior - BHPian

I did a TD of the Triber an hour ago (Renault Silk Board, Bangalore).

We were 5 large sized adults in total (my friends and I range from 5'10" to 6 ft height), and we shared the test drive.

My observations:

1. Good suspension. We went over several potholes and bad roads. The car was very composed. A bit more body roll compared to my Kwid, but far more composed than my Xylo. My friend found the suspension similar to his Ertiga (2016 model). Suspension is the typical Renault, tuned for comfort.

2. The 3rd row is quite usable. I sat in the 3rd row for a good part of the 20 minute test drive (I am 6 ft tall, and shared the 3rd row with a 5"10" friend of mine). I found the legroom good, with my knees not contacting the 2nd row seat ahead. Though the seat has lesser under thigh support for my height, I was fairly comfortable. I feel it is usable for ladies and short adults over longer trips as well. Getting in and out of 3rd row can be done from both sides quite easily.

3. The individual AC vents are good, the cooling was quick and effective.

4. From a driver's perspective, I feel the engine has enough grunt to do its job of pulling with load. It is not as responsive as, for example, the Ertiga's petrol engine (again I am bench-marking with the 2016 Ertiga). Also I could feel some vibrations on the gear lever and controls, similar to my Kwid.

Looks to be a good option for some one looking for a practical people mover, if priced competitively.
mooza is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 20:11   #351
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
1 more video of Triber from Haldwani with 7 persons on board between Haldwani and Nainital (hilly areas of Uttarakhand), by YouTuber "Power Racer".
I can notice that the guy is revving a bit while starting, absolutely normal though - especially when a 1000 cc block is pulling a load of seven passengers.

Still, my biggest apprehension was on how this car will perform on hilly routes with 5 people and their luggage, the question is answered now. I have had a hard time with cars with AMT, Ertiga diesel and even a TUV on routes like Dehradun-Dhanaulti, Rishikesh-Gangotri etc. I am expecting that this one too will struggle for sure, all I want is that the car needs to keep moving. Still one apprehension needs to be addressed, stop the car on an incline and then move it ahead with 7 on board - if this car manages to do that without much trouble - I will start suggesting it instead of other hatchbacks!

Still, it looks like Renault has finally got the ingredients right yet again and a winner will be rolled out very soon - all on price now. Anyhow, I think anything comparable to a Wagon-R or a bit higher shall suffice.

Last edited by VKumar : 25th August 2019 at 20:12.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 20:40   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a chance to drive the Triber for around 10km. The test drive car was the top of the line RXZ variant. I was at Renault Rajarhat to do a PDI for my friends Duster AWD and took the opportunity to drive this car.

My impression.

Looks

This car looks good and well proportioned too.

The front view

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1415.jpg

The rear

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1413.jpg

The side profile

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1436.jpg

The roof!

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1432.jpg

Headlamps get a projector.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1434.jpg

The alloys come as an accessory

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1418.jpg

Interior

The interiors look well designed and the quality is just okay. The plastics used are hard but fit and finish was fine. Renault did the space management wisely.

The dashboard layout looks good! Front seats are thin but comfortable and gets an integrated headrest.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1419.jpg

Rear seat leg space is adequate.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1420.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1421.jpg

Coming to the most hyped 3rd row.

Its suitable for 2, not 3. So specifically, i will say this car to be a 6 seater not a 7 seater, unless one wants to torture the passengers in the 3rd row!

But for intercity travels, 6 adults can definitely travel in this car. For a 2-3 hours drive it should be fine to be in the 3rd row. With 6 adults, it wont be comfortable for long drives. The 3rd row is more suitable for kids in long drives. The thigh support is also lacking.

The middle row seat needs to be folded to enter the 3rd row. The folding was easy and smooth.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1422.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1423.jpg

I am 5 feet 9 inches. This is the legroom available for me with the middle row seats at the backmost position.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1425.jpg

This is after forwarding the middle row seats.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1426.jpg

After forwarding, the middle row seats, this is the legroom available in the middle row. Sales executive Nasim is seating and his height is around 5 feet 9 inches too.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1427.jpg

Triber gets a rear Ac vent!

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1428.jpg

Boot space

With 3rd row

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1429.jpg

The 3rd row seats can be easily removed to increase the boot space. With 3rd row removed the boot space is quite big.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1430.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1431.jpg

The drive

As soon as i started the car, i was greeted with the 3 cylinder NVH level!
There is a mild vibration, and on revving the engine, the sound do protrude inside the cabin. The NVH is at par with the 1L K series engine from Maruti.

While driving, I was pleasantly surprised! This car is peppy! With 4 people on board and with the AC on, the power was more than adequate. I never expected this much peppiness from this car. It can easily keep up with the traffic. In-fact in 1st gear this car climbed up a mild incline with no input on the throttle!
The engine is quite rev happy. It rev's neatly till 6,000 RPM.

Attaching a video, where i accelerated hard with 4 people on board with the AC on.

On an empty stretch i could easily reach 132 km/hr with 4 passengers and AC on. The car had enough juice left to go further. The 3rd gear can be used as an automatic in city, it can easily pull from as low as 25 km/hr to 100 km/hr + speeds.

The engine bay looks neat and the air intake pipe is placed high. So wading through water logged streets wont be a problem.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1416.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1417.jpg

Brakes

The braking is good and on hard braking the ABS kicked in perfectly. The car did not lose its composure under hard braking.

Gear shifting

The shifts are smooth and precise.

Handling & suspension

Here i was surprised yet again! The suspension is on the stiffer side and the car took the corners really well. Over bad roads, if driven fast the suspension is a bit noisy, one can hear the thud but the ride was not bumpy.
The steering is well calibrated too. The feedback was quite good.

If anyone can make out the wheel articulation or the suspension travel from these pics-

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1411.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1412.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1414.jpg

The ground clearance is decent too. It didn't scrap anywhere. Did a mild soft-roading too.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1410.jpg

Lastly a pic with its elder brother, the Kwid.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img_1402.jpg

My conclusion-

Renault did a decent job with this car. Honestly this car exceeded my expectation. If the top variant is priced 1L + lesser than the base variant of the Ertiga petrol, Renault should expect a healthy monthly sales. 6 - 6.5 L Ex-showroom for the RXZ should be a good pricing. Though this car should not be compared with the Ertiga. Ertiga is a segment higher.

This is a perfect budget car for a family with 4 adults & 2 kids. Keeping practicality in mind this can be a very good choice.

Last edited by Samba : 25th August 2019 at 21:05.
Samba is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 21:43   #353
BHPian

Initial impreasions seem to be good! Triber would be a good candidate to get the Stepway variant with a turbo charged engine and more bells and whistles. Would be then a good practical alternative to the premium hatches.
Old 25th August 2019, 21:43   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

Its suitable for 2, not 3. So specifically, i will say this car to be a 6 seater not a 7 seater, unless one wants to torture the passengers in the 3rd row!
2+3+2=7

The 'Seven' seats include the driver too
ashutoshb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 23:04   #355
Senior - BHPian

Does it (Triber) have a BS6 compliant engine ?
Old 25th August 2019, 23:32   #356
BHPian

So far from the readings and experiences of other Team-BHP members, Triber has got all ingredients for a blockbuster like Kwid. This will be instant success if it can score 4 stars on GNCAP. I hope Renault has worked on the reinforcement of structure which is the weakest point of Kwid.
K_Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 23:50   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
2+3+2=7

The 'Seven' seats include the driver too
Yes, you are correct. I should have explained it further. My bad. Thanks for pointing this out.

The leg space in the 3rd row is limited for two adults. Accommodating a 3rd adult is not possible. The middle row seat is divided into two portions. When 3 people will seat on the middle row, then forwarding both the middle row seats to make leg space for 2 adults in the 3rd row will be tough. With 3 adults there will be no side wise space to stretch their legs either. So without forwarding the seats forward in the middle row, accommodating 2 adults in the 3rd row will be a bit tricky.

The comfortable combination will be- 2+2+2. If there are 7 adults on board, they can be accommodated but it wont be comfortable. 2+3+2 kids should be fine though.

Last edited by Samba : 25th August 2019 at 23:54.
Samba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 23:56   #358
Senior - BHPian

This is not a half hearted effort. It looks like a rather well packed product in terms of form factor : Sufficiency of Power, Gearing, Internal & external Space management, Ride quality & suspension.

Renault seems to be trying to revive (if not survive) considering that nowadays they're barely as much of a major brand in India as it used to be.

Given Renault is going to compete against the mighty Maruti, a brand which is synonymous with the word "car" in many parts of the country, I would recommend they price it closer to the Eeco than the Ertiga.

Moreover, Launch with AMT & a dealer-level CNG option are either a missed opportunity, or a trick to launch at aggressive price.
GrammarNazi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 01:22   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Moreover, Launch with AMT & a dealer-level CNG option are either a missed opportunity, or a trick to launch at aggressive price.
I do not think that they can bring in a CNG variant without compromising on the "Modularity" offered by the 3rd row of seats. It does not have the boot space of an Ertiga with all 3 rows up to place a CNG tank back there, so a CNG variant will become a strictly 5 seater with Slide, Recline and Tumble options for the 2nd Row of seats and loose out on the "Tribe" concept of 7 seater.

But the product seems promising none-the-less. Now, the Pricing will decide it's future. I too hope that they don't wait till the New Year for the AMT variants, and the Turbocharged variants can come in near April 2020 to boost sales 6-7 months down the line.

If only they could bring in Steering Mounted Audio and Telephony Controls, Height Adjustable Driver Seat, Height Adjustable Seatbelts for the front row, Power Foldable ORVMs, Automatic AC and Fog Lamps (cause I'm sure the LED DRLs will switch off when you put on the headlight, like in the Redi-GO, Go, Go+) as well, and some form of Hill Hold Assist in the AMT (if Tata can provide it in the Nexon, so can others) apart from all these.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 07:36   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Initial impreasions seem to be good! Triber would be a good candidate to get the Stepway variant with a turbo charged engine and more bells and whistles. Would be then a good practical alternative to the premium hatches.
They are focusing more on rural price sensitive market so dont expect any additional features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Does it (Triber) have a BS6 compliant engine ?
No, but they will have to after April 2020.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks