Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2018, 01:25   #286
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2018. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Marazzo

Voted for the Santro!
- Good entry level hatchback, relevant to the market
- Value for money (??)
- Loaded top of the line (maybe not thaat VFM)
- 4 cylinder engine
- Sentimental value : Used a Santro Xing for 13 trouble free years!!

Why not the Marazzo:
- Best Mahindra yet maybe, but quality I felt was not significantly better than Ertiga or Innova
- Not a game changer in the segment: offers only what the competition is offering
- Will eventually settle down in sales numbers behind Innova and Ertiga (would love to be proven wrong though)!
- Would I buy it if I was looking for an MPV - No!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 09:20   #287
BHPian

I am selecting the Marazzo. Last year I chose the less popular E20 plus from M&M and this year am choosing the most popular choice from M&M. This in itself says, the brand's wide portfolio.

The Marazzo has a lot going for it. The product positioning hits the sweet spot in the market and innovation wise, having a body-on-frame vehicle with front-wheel drive layout shows how much one can still do with old tech without jumping to expensive technologies. Kudos for M&M and looking forward to more.
Old 18th December 2018, 10:10   #288
CPJ
BHPian

Voted for Mahindra Marazzo!

Mahindra has really done a commendable job in coming up with safe vehicle (4 Star Rating in NCAP) first and all the gizmos later. I personally like the looks of this MPV and most importantly the positioning of this MPV between Maruti Suzuki Ertiga and Toyota Innova Crysta.

This MPV might go on to become the new favorite among the Tour operators as well for its value for money proposition.

Keep up the good work Mahindra!
Old 18th December 2018, 13:32   #289
BHPian

Voted for the Volvo, aspirational, good looks, safe...and because I did not really feel there was any car this year that was actually revolutionary or mouth watering.

Maybe we should add an option as "None"
Old 18th December 2018, 13:51   #290
BHPian

It is heartening to see that the flop car of the year "Yaris" has garnered more than 100 votes (> 5% share) and is competing with the likes of Santro and Ertiga.

BTW, Marazzo will most probably take the title for this year.

Here are the winners for the last 5 years

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2018. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Marazzo-car_of_year_history.jpg

Kwid in 2015 had a very tough fight from Creta.

I don't remember market leaders Maruti or Hyundai ever winning since I joined in 2010.
Simhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 13:55   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Voted for the Volvo, aspirational, good looks, safe...and because I did not really feel there was any car this year that was actually revolutionary or mouth watering.

Maybe we should add an option as "None"
You just echoed what I wanted to say Shome

I too chose Volvo for the efforts and the product quality and the fact that they did indeed shake the said 'segment' with this product. The have taken the level to +1 when compared to the competition this time. I chose this w.r.t to all other options as otherwise I too was not fully convinced with all the options listed. But then you have to rate the best among the options available in the end.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 15:31   #292
BHPian

Voted for the Marazzo. Though I do not love the looks, but after the NCAP report, I will definitely give Mahindra due credit for the safety aspect. However, none of the contenders (including Marazzo) are pathbreaking (atleast I feel that way).None of the listed cars really pulled at the heartstrings

Last edited by AdiSolEn : 18th December 2018 at 15:33.
Old 18th December 2018, 17:23   #293
BHPian

I did not vote. The mass market models are uninspiring and the luxury models are well... luxury. I don't even aspire to get one of those. If somebody gifted it to me I would sell it off rather than deal with the maintenance costs and watching it assume the "Service Position" every time something minor needs to be done. No offense intended
Old 18th December 2018, 18:34   #294
BHPian

A pretty uninspiring list. Voted for the Marazzo as its safety performance was pretty unexpected given the body design and the short bonnet. A good start for safe MUVs in India. Now can we crash test the new Ertiga please?
Old 18th December 2018, 19:10   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

My vote went to the Toyota Yaris, despite the fact that only about 5% of members voted for it. Safety is not just about frontal crash tests, it is also about both passive and active components that enhance safety. A base version of car that comes equipped with 7 airbags is a bold step for any automobile manufacturer in India - and the price-sensitive market with its chalta hai attitude has refused to accept that safety is the most important factor in buying a car, irrespective of its size.
SS-Traveller is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 23:20   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
My vote went to the Toyota Yaris, despite the fact that only about 5% of members voted for it. Safety is not just about frontal crash tests, it is also about both passive and active components that enhance safety.
Very true that safety should be considered while voting, but Yaris hasn't been tested yet and international model scored only three stars with 2 airbags, so hard for me to judge that car by the number of airbags!

But frankly, Yaris seems to be a good product even if the airbags were taken out of the equation, they should have given it some tangible USP.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 09:24   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
...Yaris hasn't been tested yet and international model scored only three stars with 2 airbags, so hard for me to judge that car by the number of airbags!
That statement is not true.

https://www.rushlane.com/toyota-yari...-12270133.html

https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2018-Toyota-Yaris/

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...oor-sedan/2018

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 19th December 2018 at 09:27.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 10:39   #298
BANNED

Quote:
That statement is not true.
Dear SS-Traveller,
The Yaris has received 3* stars in Global NCAP crash ratings for year 2018 under Africa. It has not been tested for India. In international variants they got 5*, but how sure are we that we are getting international specification car? Till Toyota gets Indian Yaris tested, we can’t assume its 5*. Toyota may very well be equipping it just like their Africa variant.

http://www.globalncap.org/safercarsforafrica/

Regards,
The Rationalist.

Last edited by The Rationalist : 19th December 2018 at 10:41.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 11:01   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
The Yaris has received 3* stars in Global NCAP crash ratings for year 2018 under Africa. It has not been tested for India. In international variants they got 5*...
The South African Yaris hatchback is equipped with 2 airbags as rightly pointed out. The same car (hatchback) with full safety features as demanded by Australian regulations, gets a 5-star ANCAP rating (https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-rati...a/yaris/8b2009).
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
...how sure are we that we are getting international specification car? Till Toyota gets Indian Yaris tested, we can’t assume its 5*. Toyota may very well be equipping it just like their Africa variant.
This of course is presumptive, alleging that Toyota would lower manufacturing and quality standards for the Indian market. We've had plenty of arguments on the forum about how diverse manufacturers cut corners and therefore airbags do not deploy - in which case, the Mahindra Marazzo (the clear winner here for COTY 2018), whose 4-star safety rating is being lauded, should be equally suspect when it comes to the actual product being delivered to the Indian customer.

In any case, is there another car in that price band (or even a couple of levels higher), that offers 7 airbags and (in the top model) stability control (VSC in Toyotaspeak)?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 19th December 2018 at 11:07.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 11:24   #300
BANNED

Quote:
This of course is presumptive, alleging that Toyota would lower manufacturing and quality standards for the Indian market. We've had plenty of arguments on the forum about how diverse manufacturers cut corners and therefore airbags do not deploy - in which case, the Mahindra Marazzo (the clear winner here for COTY 2018), whose 4-star safety rating is being lauded, should be equally suspect when it comes to the actual product being delivered to the Indian customer.
This is going OT.
I never said Toyota lower manufacturing standards, I just pointed out that Indian version of Yaris hasn’t been crash tested. And I’m glad that Toyota has equipped 7 airbags and all. We have lot of cars with 6 airbags, Figo and Aspire, but they have only scored 3* due to body shell being unstable. I have an Aspire !

And I hope you know that Global NCAP gets a car , not that Mahindra/Tata/Toyota/Ford gives them a car with special safety features. It’s always the lowest variant that gets tested. And I’m sure that Mahindra Marazzo and Tata Nexon( from Dec 7 ) will be having the same 4* and 5* safety features as tested by Global NCAP.

Indian Yaris maybe 5* safety car, but the onus is on Toyota to prove it. Till that time its all assumptions, I will go with facts rather than extrapolating findings from Euro NCAP and IIHS. Suzuki Swift has better ratings in Euro NCAP, and we all know how Indian Swift fared!
The Rationalist is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks