Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2021, 23:38   #541
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q2-2021

Does anyone know if this has an impact on the new XUV500 launch?
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...g-pacts-420323
Is it possible that some clause in the agreement is stopping Mahindra from going ahead with the launch (since Ford is supposed to have provided input on certain aspects)?
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 22:29   #542
BHPian

Re: The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q2-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Thanks for the research.
Im surprised there's not much chatter on the issue of GNCAP from those shopping in this segment. If we don't ask for it, car makers would be more than happy to not bring it up.
100% agree. I am in the market for a 7 seater and GNCAP rating would absolutely cinch the deal for me. The Marazzo so far is the only vehicle tested with a 4 star GNCAP rating but it just has two airbags and no automatic yet. Loved the Tata Hexa (not been tested and now discontinued). I checked out the Safari, Innova, Isuzu MUX among other cars. I am still peeved at why the Toyota does not test the Crysta that is sold in India whereas they crash test the variants sold in smaller countries (lower sales numbers) like Cambodia, Vietnam etc.
Old 30th March 2021, 10:12   #543
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Next-gen XUV500 launch delayed till September 2021

This year, Mahindra plans to take the wraps off the next-generation XUV500. Earlier, we had reported that the SUV was expected to go into production by the end of April. However, we have now been told that the launch has been delayed till September, with deliveries starting in November 2021.

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-xuv.jpg

While we don't know the exact reason for the delay, it could be due to the shortage of semiconductors. The new model will get a host of advanced features including a digital instrument cluster and an array of sensors for the Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS). These are being sourced from China and Korea.

The SUV is expected to be powered by a 2.0-litre mStallion T-GDi turbocharged 4-cylinder petrol engine and a 2.0-litre diesel unit. It will also get an optional 6-speed automatic transmission.

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 10:56   #544
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Next-gen XUV500 launch delayed till September 2021

Chip manufacturers failed to see the global semiconductor shortage (for automobiles) coming and were caught sleeping or were focussing somewhere else (phones/electronics).

The recent fire in Renesas (in Japan) who are the main suppliers for Toyota and other Japanese companies is a real body blow, adding to the shortage and choking the already chip starved Auto OEMs.

While I'm not going to buy an XUV, I was really looking forward to seeing it. It really looks promising. Even with the camouflage, the lines look great.

On another note, one thing Mahindra should change/update is their "Cheetah" Grill which kind of looks cheap and silly now. The over-styling might have worked on the original XUV in the 2010s, but they need to class the grill up a little bit. I don't know how it's going to look on the new XUV500.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st March 2021 at 06:45. Reason: Typos, spacing, punctuation
ZenMaster is offline   (13) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 30th March 2021, 11:01   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
On another note, one thing Mahindra should change/update is their "Cheetah" Grill which kinda looks cheap and silly now. The overstyling might have worked on the original XUV in the 2010s but they need to class the grill up a little bit. I don't know how its going to look on the new XUV500
Fully agree with what you say. Looks like they have toned down the grille quite a bit but still managed to retain the crappy looking L shaped DRL's.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 11:15   #546
BHPian

Thanks for the scoop. I am glad that I didn't wait for XUV500 and went ahead with Safari booking. XUV500 may turn out to be a better proposal compared to Safari, but I was apprehensive about the delay. As such my upgrade was delayed by an year due to Pandemic and waiting any more (at least 8-9 months with this news) would have been frustrating!
varman742 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 11:21   #547
S15
BANNED

I thought Mahindra was targeting a Diwali launch for the XUV anyway, so I'm not surprised.

Has this shortage affected the scorpio launch? Will the scorpio come before or after this?
S15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 11:31   #548
BHPian

I wouldn't call this a scoop unless we have some documentation that proves the claim of a delayed launch. Something like a PR company being told that the media campaign was being postponed or dealers being informed of the delay.

At this point, this seems more like a rumor.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 11:33   #549
BHPian

Good news for TATA Safari. You have enough time now to create a "Safari" market before the XUV5OO enters the party. Sell as many Safaris as possible before the XUV5OO is launched, create a fan following and it will help a lot in building the Safari 2.0 brand.

TATA can also evaluate some feature additions by September for the Harrier & Safari.
Old 30th March 2021, 12:58   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S15 View Post
I thought Mahindra was targeting a Diwali launch for the XUV anyway, so I'm not surprised.

Has this shortage affected the scorpio launch? Will the scorpio come before or after this?
There is unlikely any chance Z101 Aka New gen Scorpio will launch before XUV 5OO. There are plethora of other issues with Scorpio in development, Semiconductor is just one among that but it is not going to be blocking point as Z101 doesn't even have a proper fixed launch date yet and some last minute changes are still going on.

And regarding XUV 5OO and September !! The Scoop seems to be partially true, but bit misinformed !
Adam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 14:05   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
Good news for TATA Safari. You have enough time now to create a "Safari" market before the XUV5OO enters the party. Sell as many Safaris as possible before the XUV5OO is launched, create a fan following and it will help a lot in building the Safari 2.0 brand.

TATA can also evaluate some feature additions by September for the Harrier & Safari.
Also a good time to sort the niggles in the Harrier and potential glitches in the Safari which are bound to happen knowing TATA with new products!! Hope they capitalise on it.
SN88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 15:40   #552
Senior - BHPian

It been ages now, that the test mules have been spotted without any release date in sight. Although the chip issue is a real one, not every potential customer is going to wait for a car because of that. The safari is having a gala time right now and firing on all cylinders with no competition in sight. Meanwhile.

TrackDay is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 17:06   #553
Senior - BHPian

Somewhere I have this feeling that Mahindra is not too sure about the success of brand '5OO going forward, coupled with the fact that they may have a crowded segment from 13 lac through 20 lac, with the new Scorpio, Thar and '5OO sharing the same powerplants potentially. In my view, the Scorpio carries a stronger brand recall than the 5OO.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 18:03   #554
BHPian

Mahindra is doing the same mistake that Honda is doing with HRV. Tata is laughing it's way to the bank and mahindra is still holding its horses. The safari is killing it and will continue to do so until Mahindra buckles up .
Old 30th March 2021, 20:03   #555
BHPian

From what we've seen on the test mules, Mahindra seems to have the production version of the XUV ready. If it's only the chip shortage that's delaying the launch, their marketing team needs to start creating hype among the public, with ads, subtle design cue revelations, etc. If not, then they'll have a tough time in the market when they actually launch, what with the C5 Aircross set to launch and the Alcazar also likely to launch before it.
CapKoura is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed