Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2021, 22:23   #451

Re: The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q2-2021

New XUV 500 spotted on nice road in Bangalore.
The car was fully loaded with 8 people on board.
The car didn't seem to have the road presence of the current gen XUV 500 and seemed smaller in comparison.

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-1.jpg

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-2.jpg

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-3.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 17th March 2021 at 06:52. Reason: Watermarks added
jeevan_61 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 22:24   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
If Tata doesn't get a GNCAP rating for its flagship, thinking that it can rest on its Land Rover laurels, while the XUV makes haste to get a 5-star rating at launch; they might lose the money of those safety conscious folks on here who have been in a dilemma about Harrier and Safari's NCAP rating ever since ram87pune's post, and/or those who are sceptical about Tata not sending their flagship product voluntarily for a crash test, while the much cheaper Altroz got a rating before it was even launched.
All these doubts on safety ratings of Harrier and Safari have been raised in this forum due to two points.
1. Tata hasn't crash tested any of these till date
2. ram87pune's insider information mentioning, probability of low crash rating due to position of a filter in the FCA mill and impact it can create to ABC pedals in a RHD vehicle incase of a front collision.

If I am right, no other BHPian had this insider information other than ram87pune. He had shared a lot of correct insider information in this forum for TATA cars, well before launches. However, with all due respect to him, a few information he had shared regarding SAFARI had gone wrong.

BHPian 'nainan' had shared a link to the 'EURO NCAP' rating of Jeep Compass in '2021 Tata Safari Review' thread on 3d March 2021. The link is below

Compass EuroNCAP Rating

It had got a 5 star rating and the 'rating validity' tab shows engine and transmission as '2.0 MultiJet 170cv' and rating applies column shows both RHD and LHD. I hope the engine mentioned here is the same engine used in Harrier, Safari, Hector and Indian Jeep Compass. So I am confused whether to believe ram87pune's insider information in this regard or not.

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-jc_euroncap.jpg

Having said that, I am not justifying TATA for not testing Harrier or Safari. Interesting part is, all their current models except Harrier/Safari are having crash test ratings. Now, why TATA is not crash testing Harrier or Safari, it is only known to them.

Coming to the dilema of a purchaser who wants to buy a minimum 4 star rated family SUV (not compact SUV) costing below 30L now in India, there are no choices other than Marazzo (However it cannot still bring numbers even with that rating). So the present customers have to do their assumptions and trust one of these manufactures and models.

If M&M brings 5 star crash test rating for XUV500, we can hope that TATA will feel the heat and test Harrier/Safari. I wish both indigenous players get tremendous success with their offerings.
Sreejith V is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 22:33   #453
rpm
BHPian

@Mods, I do not know if this is the correct place to suggest such changes, but the news article titled 'More dope on the next-gen Mahindra XUV500' has erroneously accredited ram86pune for the dope, instead of ram87pune. Please delete this post if necessary.
rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 23:44   #454
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreejith V View Post
All these doubts on safety ratings of Harrier and Safari have been raised in this forum due to two points.............
It had got a 5 star rating and the 'rating validity' tab shows engine and transmission as '2.0 MultiJet 170cv' and rating applies column shows both RHD and LHD. I hope the engine mentioned here is the same engine used in Harrier, Safari, Hector and Indian Jeep Compass. So I am confused whether to believe ram87pune's insider information in this regard or not.
Your concerns are quite valid. Usually his insiders get things right, but once in a blue moon, they lose their invincibility, and err on the mortal side of things. Moon is notorious for doing things to people, you know.

His insiders had reported the absence of a panoramic sunroof on the Safari, owing to the stepped roof design, which later turned out to be incorrect, because it wasn't stepped at all; just Tata playing pranks.

That said, I do think his post has given a much needed reality check to me; someone who was absolutely sure that Tata can do no wrong, and the Harrier won't get anything less than a 4-star rating; it was a foregone conclusion to me, and nothing could change that, until his post dropped. Had it been some lesser known folk, I would have dismissed it without a second thought, but with all the credibility and accuracy accompanying it, I was forced to reconsider my position. The feeling of what if started to creep in and gradually took over.

See, if I were to buy the Harrier, I can be less than rational and devoid of logic; I can live with the implications of what if. But. What if I recommend the Harrier to someone, maybe someone near and dear; someone concerned about safety?

What if they buy the Harrier on my recommendation that it is a safe car?

Would I be able to come to terms with myself if the Harrier pulls a Seltos on me?

Would they be able to come to terms with their safe car?

Would I be able to talk to them with a straight face again? So much for being an enthusiast, right?

As I pondered over these what ifs, the answer became clear to me.

I stopped assuming. Assuming that I had a rationale good enough to justify why it wouldn't- rather couldn't score less than 4-star.

It may sound like I'm being paranoid, but I do have a friend or two who would blindly put their faith in me when it comes to the safety of a car. And to remain true to their faith in me, I mustn't put my faith in assumptions; just pure, unadulterated GNCAP numbers; nothing else will do.

Last edited by ajmat : 12th March 2021 at 18:37. Reason: minor typo
rpm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 14:09   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapKoura View Post
The interiors look really good and plush. I'm surprised though, that the IRVM is still a manual one and not an auto dimming unit. As the rest of the interior looks production spec, I hope Mahindra won't be skimping on such basic features.
If the mount is standard, then replacing it with an auto dimming one is a piece of cake. It is easy and cheap. My main concerns would be areas of safety where after market replacements are not available or the mods are not as effective compared to factory fittings like:

1. Rear middle row 3 point seat belts
2. Airbags, more the better
3. Adaptive headlights
4. Headlight technology and throw. etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
And to remain true to their faith in me, I mustn't put my faith in assumptions; just pure, unadulterated GNCAP numbers; nothing else will do.
You are not, and your observations are spot on.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th March 2021 at 16:24. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button while quoting and replying to multiple posts at once. Thanks.
pandabear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 08:09   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

2021 Mahindra XUV500 Interior Revealed In Clear Spyshot

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-2021mahindraxuv500interiorclearspypicture1068x831.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 08:38   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Attachment 2133083

Link
Appears like the Hat on top of the screen is just camouflage covers? And the screen is a standard floating screen.

Looks interesting. Eagerly waiting for launch.
Old 16th March 2021, 08:39   #458
BHPian

The interiors look very plush.
I do see an automatic transmission from the pics and
Drive/Terrain mode selector too.
But overall the interior looks very upmarket!!
Waiting for a full reveal
Old 16th March 2021, 09:11   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Attachment 2133083
Well, Looks clean and for once Mahindra seem to have paid some attention to details . The screen "hat" is still there and looks like it will make it to production. I also spot something just next to the driver side door handles. Are those buttons for memory seat feature? Interesting for sure. I think the number of variants on offer can be big. Let's see...still no news on dates though
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 09:13   #460
BHPian

Amazing scoop. Interiors look properly upmarket with good quality materials used throughout.

I have made some observations in addition to my previous post.

1. Memory seats near the driver side door handle.

2. Wood grain insert on the door panel. Looks premium.

3. Aluminum bar running across the dashboard dividing the top leather wrapped dash from the bottom HVAC controls.
karthick_b is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 09:37   #461
Senior - BHPian

Stitching effect on the lighter part of the dashboard: hope it is real and not fake. Such things take away the 'premiumness' Mahindra is trying to bring in. I am also not a fan of fake wood finish on the door-pad. Wood finish can make it look premium when done in a right way, specifically in the right place.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 10:29   #462
Senior - BHPian

With the Scorpio getting a good redo, they seem to have upped the feature and interior design on the XUV.
I just hope Mahindra has kept the ground clearance good We should atleast be able to take it for mild off-road like scenarios when you call them SUVs.
Old 16th March 2021, 10:50   #463
Senior - BHPian

The interior is really well done and looks upmarket. Hope the quality 'feels' good too.

More importantly, ride quality has never been a strong point in the XUV. Hope Mahindra places that on top priority even if it means sacrificing a tad bit of handling (nobody is really going to corner a Mahindra UV hard!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Stitching effect on the lighter part of the dashboard: hope it is real and not fake. Such things take away the 'premiumness' Mahindra is trying to bring in.
The stitching effect is usually always fake, even in the upper segment vehicles like Camry, Innova, etc.
Old 16th March 2021, 11:02   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
The stitching effect is usually always fake, even in the upper segment vehicles like Camry, Innova, etc.
Considering that even the current car has actual leather/leatherette with actual stitching on the dashboard, this may turn out to be real.
I hated the fake stitch when I saw it on the Hexa. I was not aware that even Camry has it!
Old 16th March 2021, 11:10   #465
BANNED

While everything else looks absolutely normal and common, along with this wood finish and all, the finish doesn't count, its quality does. One feature that seems to stand out is the memory function for powered seats. Here Mahindra has beaten everyone else hands down, while even panoramic sunroof has also become common now, this is something that is absolutely unseen anywhere under 30 lac, and will be considered a really premium feature.

Bad times ahead for Tata I would say. Toyota any way sells because of the badge, won't be much affected.

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-xuv.jpg
VKumar is offline   (24) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks