Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2021, 20:44   #526
rpm
BHPian

Re: The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q2-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The point has already been shared on TBHP - not sure if it was RavenAvi or @amitmechengg.

Roughly: The 2.0 MJD in RHD config has an issue with intrusion below steering wheel in case of impact/crash. This is the reason why vehicles with this combination have not been certified yet. Hopefully it will be soon.
Indeed. However, I wasn't aware that these points had already been made by other BHPians as well, except ram87pune— an oversight on my part. I apologise for needlessly echoing the same sentiments yet again.

On another note, there is at least one vehicle in this combination which has already been certified, both by EURO NCAP as well as ANCAP, albeit without a crash test. As perplexing as it may sound, these NCAPs have a variant policy which allows for extension of the crash rating of a tested variant to other variants as well. It even allows for certifying badge engineered cars as well as facelifted variants without a crash test, provided that the conditions outlined in the variant policy are met.

EURO NCAP, in its crash result pdf, certifies that the crash rating of 2.0 MJD LHD Compass applies to the RHD variant as well.
ANCAP, in its crash result pdf, certifies that the crash rating of 2.4L petrol RHD applies to all variants sold in Australia, which includes the 4×4 trailhawk, and limited (4×4) trim with 2.0 MJD RHD.

The information I presented in the previous posts was to lend credence to ram87pune's insider scoop– that Jeep may be exploiting the variant policy to get a crash rating for RHD 2.0 MJD. The assumption that ram87pune's insider source is incorrect or has been debunked because the RHD 2.0 MJD Compass got a 5-star rating in EURO NCAP and ANCAP may be misleading because the 2.0 MJD RHD configuration was *never* actually crash tested to begin with— the rating of some other variant or configuration was extended to the 2.0 MJD RHD Compass without a crash test via the variant policy at these NCAPs. To think that the Harrier stands a better chance at acing the GNCAP tests because the 2.0 MJD RHD Compass is allowed to use the 5-star rating of its other variants by these NCAPs may also be misleading and not representative of the true picture. Why I pointed out the things I did in my previous posts was to caution people against being lulled into a false sense of security without a crash test, just like I was— that Tata's exceptional performance in crash tests even in cars costing half the money that Harrier commands, may not be reason enough to give them a pass for not sending the Harrier for a crash test and assuming a decent result all by ourselves.

The oversight on my part lies in not knowing that these points have already been presented and discussed before, for which I would like to apologise again.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd March 2021 at 18:52. Reason: As requested
rpm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 17:50   #527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapKoura View Post
The current gen XUV carries an engine which is around 10 years old, only slightly tuned a few years ago. So it's quite unfair to compare the Tata cars' 168bhp motor with the XUV's 155bhp one.
New Safari has a weight problem, it simply does not respond to throttle like the current XUV (I have driven all XUV versions and drove the new Safari as well). So while current XUV maybe fraction of second slower on paper, in reality at normal speeds it responds much faster to the throttle, has better driveability as well as it stays quiet. mHawk feels better although it is from 2009.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 23:22   #528
BHPian

The XUV seems to be gunning for an April launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post

The oversight on my part lies in not knowing that these points have already been presented and discussed before, for which I would like to apologise again.
No need to apologise rpm. The forum exists to bring out such salient but often overlooked facts. If these points have been already discussed elsewhere, there is no harm in recounting it here in context of xuv 5oo GNCAP results and competition.

We need more such discussions regarding safety rather the lack of it when you're paying 25 big ones.

We are the last bastion of automotive facts buried in advertorial BS. Soldier on brother.

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 22nd March 2021 at 23:27.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 08:19   #529
Team-BHP Support

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q2-2021

Has anyone sighted / knows if the AT comes with paddle shifters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
The XUV seems to be gunning for an April launch.
Is this reliable info? What is the source for this please? I am reading a mixed bag with some reports indicating a July launch. Eagerly waiting to see how this stacks up against the Safari.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd March 2021 at 08:48.
Old 23rd March 2021, 08:50   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Has anyone sighted / knows if the AT comes with paddle shifters?
No paddle shifters are spotted in the spy pics. But the car seem to get a proper Tiptronic for the manual override function, which the current car managed with a small (unusable??) button on the shift lever.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 09:01   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
New Safari has a weight problem, it simply does not respond to throttle like the current XUV (I have driven all XUV versions and drove the new Safari as well). So while current XUV maybe fraction of second slower on paper, in reality at normal speeds it responds much faster to the throttle, has better driveability as well as it stays quiet. mHawk feels better although it is from 2009.
Very true. While I can't comment on the Safari's driveability, not having driven it yet, my 2011 XUV still pulls sweetly in every gear.

Also, it's been rumoured that Ford engineers have had some inputs in the new XUV's driving dynamics. If they manage to improve the handling and curb the body roll to some extent, the new XUV will probably be a much nicer vehicle to drive than the Safari.
CapKoura is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 22:51   #532
BHPian

Well, the real competition to new XUV500 is right around the corner in the form of Alcazar

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/hyunda...d-ahead-unveil

Time for Mahindra marketing guys to wakeup and make some noise. Hyundai in all possibility will steal the thunder or pull the carpet under the feet of Mahindra! Especially, if Hyundai is going to provide a 2.0L diesel engine as rumoured in the thread. Interesting days for this segment
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 23:33   #533
BHPian

Mahindra's unwillingness to release any images or teasers of the new XUV is somewhat concerning to be honest. I would've expected some hints here and there if they were aiming for a mid year launch.
Old 25th March 2021, 19:03   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

New Mahindra XUV500 top-variant spied testing - Launch delayed?

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-3.jpg

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-2.jpg

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-1.jpg

Quote:
The XUV500 was expected to launch earlier, however, the shortage of semi-conductors has pushed the launch timeline further
Quote:
The test-mule can be clearly seen sporting LED tail-lamps. Also, the test-mule can be seen sporting flush door handles that are mostly expected to be side-pull operated, similar to what we get to see on cars like the Nissan GT-R. A rear-parking camera can also be seen on the tail-gate. A rear-spoiler, as well as a rear-wiper, can be seen installed on the test-mule. Also, from the images, the top variant is expected to get light-tone interiors. With close inspection, it becomes clear that the new XUV500 could also get door guards; at least with the top variants.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 20:34   #535
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapKoura View Post

Also, it's been rumoured that Ford engineers have had some inputs in the new XUV's driving dynamics. If they manage to improve the handling and curb the body roll to some extent, the new XUV will probably be a much nicer vehicle to drive than the Safari.
IIRC, the Safari's (or the Harrier's) suspension has been tuned by Lotus Engineering. So the XUV can certainly not win any name dropping competitions here. The actual ride and handling balance remains an unknown quantity. Going by Mahindra's track record in this aspect, I would not have any high hopes from the XUV.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 21:00   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
IIRC, the Safari's (or the Harrier's) suspension has been tuned by Lotus Engineering. So the XUV can certainly not win any name dropping competitions here. The actual ride and handling balance remains an unknown quantity. Going by Mahindra's track record in this aspect, I would not have any high hopes from the XUV.
While you may be right, Tata has always maintained a good reputation when it comes to ride quality in their SUVs. The older Safari and the Hexa were both quite good in that regard. So, it was kind of expected of Tata to deliver yet again in this regard.

The current XUV, though a capable car, is disappointing when it comes to handling. The steering is poor at weighing up at high speeds and doesn't inspire confidence. Also, it has quite a lot of body roll. That's why, this information indicates that the new XUV may improve in this department. Also, now that the XUV is seemingly going to be Mahindra's flagship for a while, it's likely that they will leave no stone unturned.

I'm not saying that the new XUV is certainly going to be a better driver's car. But, if the suspension and handling were improved, then going by Mahindra's track record in tuning their engines and transmissions, it certainly can be.
Old 25th March 2021, 21:18   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
Well, the real competition to new XUV500 is right around the corner in the form of Alcazar

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/hyunda...d-ahead-unveil

Time for Mahindra marketing guys to wakeup and make some noise. Hyundai in all possibility will steal the thunder or pull the carpet under the feet of Mahindra! Especially, if Hyundai is going to provide a 2.0L diesel engine as rumoured in the thread. Interesting days for this segment

With 1.5 diesel mill and with those ugly looks , is Hyundai Alcazar really a competition to xuv500?
raj.barcode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 21:52   #538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Back in 2005 they used Lotus engineering for designing Scorpio's suspension, I think it was released in 2006 or so. I guess that's why Scorpio can do a double lane change at illegal speeds without falling over (not kidding).

Lotus consults for suspension design for numerous brands as we have heard before.

I have driven the new Safari, it rides better than a duster which I was driving today (they have the same heavy clutch) but Safari is more steady cruiser than a rowdy that an XUV is. I'm drawing a parallel with duster because on paper Duster is fast but it's quite a lot of work to drive it fast.

I hope lotus is not making school buses these days.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 08:21   #539
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Name dropping competition? Far from it.

Throughout the late 2000s and early 2010s, name most bad handlers and you could be pretty sure the brochure will mention, 'tuned by Lotus'. Not to doubt Lotus's handling prowess, but only vehicles that are inherently bad handlers ended up using Lotus name (expertise). The Tata Harrier (haven't driven the new Safari yet), like all new gen Tatas has a good ride/handling setup. But the missing bit is the hardware part. Especially when driving spiritedly on ghat roads and low speed ride quality, the rear suspension stands out. Maybe if it was a multi link setup, things would have been perfect.

Another point is that, unlike using the Lotus name, Mahindra won't ever use 'suspension tuned by Ford' in their advertising/brochures. So you can be pretty sure that it would be proper work done than just PR talk. Especially since at one point, Ford really was going to launch a model based on the XUV500. (are they still going to?)

Add to that the next gen XUV500 continues to have a multi link setup at the rear. Even if handling doesn't match the Tata, ride quality may. Atleast going by the XUV300 setup.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 09:51   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
With 1.5 diesel mill and with those ugly looks , is Hyundai Alcazar really a competition to xuv500?
Definitely a threat if it comes with any 2.0L engine option (Petrol/Diesel). Looks isn't an issue with India customers as long as value for money is on offer. The current 5 seater Creta wouldn't win any beauty contest either for that matter.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks