Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2021, 15:16   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q2-2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
This interior takes the game to a whole new level Cant believe that this segment is getting feature loaded to the brim. Back in the day, one had to go for an expensive German car to enjoy these things. Interesting times ahead & like most have said, this will come as a competition to the Safari most probably. The question then will be, do you want to 'Reclaim your life' Or 'Live Young, Live Free' ?
Tata has its fan base and this time around time there will be lot of people looking to upgrade from Nexon/Tigor's/Tiago, all which sell in good numbers. Folks who had good experience with Tata will consider Safari over XUV500. However with more kit and upmarket interiors, XUV500 will attract folks looking at other brands. A person upgrading from Ecosport will lean more towards XUV500 than Safari.
Old 17th March 2021, 15:26   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
If Mahindra does a quick GNCAP test the Safari risks getting 'Out-Safetyd'. Tata has built up that buzz word so much now it's gonna bite them in the back if Mahindra gets this done before them.
This is bound to happen IMHO. If the Harrier twins were capable to hit the perfect 5 on GNCAP , Tata would have volunteered both models for the tests to cement their position as self appointed safety champion.

The lack of motivation to do so for the past two years with the Harrier and at the launch of the Safari 21 points to a different possibility. Tata is milking the first mover advantage cemented by the nameplate halo by going all out on production and bookings with complete silence on their claimed forte of Safety. Memes, post accident optics and popular opinion have been swayed so much by the drumrolls of the Nexon and Altroz that somewhere it is assumed by the average Rajesh that the logic of safety is extendable and can be extrapolated, especially higher up the price chain on to these flagships.

I'm a Safari owner myself and would ve loved a GNCAP tested AWD Safari to upgrade to, but I'm personally disappointed with what has become of and has become the Safari.- a Innova competitor with a sunroof. So pardon me, while this post may sound vengeful, the facts remain true.

The XUV knows this safety chink in its rival's armour well and hence would not miss an opportunity to rub a full page ad as the only GNCAP tested 7 seater in that segment with cheesy lines like Choose XUV for a Safer Safar-i.

Same goes for the AWD. There is literally no option for the AWD enthusiast (miniscule as they may be) looking for a 7seater AWD combo till he climbs up to D2 (MuX/Alturas territory further above which the Endeavour and the unsinkable Fortuner treasury mint is located ) This option even on a single apex variant will make the XUV stand out against the barrage of people movers out there and encourages it's buyers to Live Young and Live Free unlike the competition which requires us to limp on two wheels to reclaim our lives.

We need to remember that unlike the 'pedigree' Harrier twins which need heavy re work of the aft suspension setup to even think of an AWD, the XUV already had the hardware in its AWD AT Option (which was incidentally always the only three row SUV with that unique combination below D2) So it may be easier for Mahindra to plonk the package with the complete shebang at launch and see how many lap it up.

If the Scorpio would (undoubtedly) launch with 4wd, then see the M&M lineup - would look like more capable SUVs with the Thar 4x4 , Scorpio 4x4 and XUV AWD against closest rival Tata which has not a single 4wd in its portfolio today. Tata has taken the lead in design and makes impactful designs, perhaps the best today in our country. Mahindra despite Pinfarina, still does seem miles behind in this department.

So as company identities, while Tata would celebrate its designs as it's USP, Mahindra would have to go for rebuttal with an image of capability drawn from its heritage of making 4x4s. Now that's pedigree.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 15:33   #498
BHPian

How much ever I love the Safari moniker, the reality is that Safari is a 7 seater Harrier. Even here at Tbhp, we often use the word Harrier twins. While for some, the moniker can be a great pull (including me), I guess absence of any major path breaking difference it gets overshadowed by its younger sibling. Which can be a good thing to bring footfalls and eventual converts for Tata, but when you peg Safari against the new XUV 500, it might not hold ground (subject to killer pricing and over the top features in XUV 500).

I think Tata was intelligent to get Safari earlier to get some numbers and vehicles on road which might help establish the brand name. This will be an interesting competition and sadly (because I am a Safari fanboy), I tend to feel it might just be won by the XUV, but only marginally I guess.
Old 17th March 2021, 17:32   #499
BHPian

I really like the design and packaging of new XUV , much better than the quirky one we had in the previous generation . I think the integration of dual screen is also the best among competitors, Harrier had it in H5X concept but production variant toned it down , SELTOS is mimicking it in Indian variants with a plastic panel, but this looks well integrated.

Had a glance through KORANDO 2021 interiors and features, it's like a walkthrough for new XUV, even though dashboard layout is different. ADAS features are well explained in the brochures , might get the same for XUV too.

Looks like the launch of new XUV will further stir the market well and it's a win-win situation for both Mahindra and it's competitors. XUV launch may help to expand the market share of mid SUVs further. Unlike 2011 , now they have a handful of competitors with diverse demographic , hoping they will continue their VFM packaging with the next generation too.

My guess is that diesel variants will be priced at 10-20K lower than that of Harrier for similarly specced variants , exclusive features will be priced accordingly and petrol variants will be at 10-20K higher than that of Hector variants.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-1615982433352.jpg  

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-1615982448261.jpg  

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-1615982463042.jpg  

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-1615982476345.jpg  

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-1615982493382.jpg  

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-1615982513939.jpg  

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-1615982529032.jpg  

The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021-1615982544099.jpg  

TorqueIndia is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 17:59   #500
BHPian

All said and done, XUV will sell more than Safari due to Mahindra's connect with the demands of the Indian mentality. That being said, it's bemusing to disregard two greatest USPs of the Harrier/Safari.
1) The 170BHP Fiat Engine which is way better than what XUV offers and
2) The Landrover/Jaguar underpinnings.
Neil Roy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 18:07   #501
Senior - BHPian

There is a lot of traction on this thread for the XUV5OO.

I can only hope that M&M pulled their act together in their production and don’t get into the Semiconductor chip / infotainment shortage like in the Thar.
Old 17th March 2021, 18:34   #502
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
All said and done, XUV will sell more than Safari due to Mahindra's connect with the demands of the Indian mentality. That being said, it's bemusing to disregard two greatest USPs of the Harrier/Safari.
Yeah, you can hear the casual buyer mentioning JLR underpinnings as one of the USPs of the car, but I'm genuinely curious if that helps sell any Harriers/Safaris on team-bhp, what with the absence of AWD/RWD/4×4, 5-star NCAP rating, and the passable ground clearance at best. The attributes generally associated with an LR product seem to be missing here.

With all the rumoured features supposedly at offer in the XUV, i.e., best in class power figures, 5-star GNCAP rating, AWD (as an option at least); does the JLR USP really weigh into the buying decision of a BHPian?

I'll reiterate that I'm not talking about the casual car buyer here and I'm genuinely curious. None of this is meant to offend or question the intelligence of the average buyer and/or the BHPian; I just want to gauge the opinions of the people on the forum.
rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 18:56   #503
BHPian

Considering the features all new XUV500 is rumored to have and an earlier news to discontinue the Alturas, whether M&M is planning to have variants upto the territories of Alturas with all new XUV500?

Or will they be able to price it around 21L ex-showroom with all these features? If I am not wrong, new XUV500 is rumored to have almost all features that is offered by MG Gloster, like autonomous level 1 features including ADAS. So, that will be Gloster features at almost Hector pricing.

Evenif the price is 22-24L for the top model, I think, M&M has a clear winner with all new XUV500
Old 17th March 2021, 19:42   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
We have seen spy pics of the car being tested in snowy hills and many think that it is an AWD version. We have also seen a 'button' which looked like a differential lock. All this leads believe that there will be an AWD version.
I also believe that (the way they are loading the car with features/tech) Mahindra is very ambitious with their newer products and don't base the features on what the probable competitors have. Looks like they really want to take it to the next level in all respects and I don't see them dropping something like the AWD which is so critical for a premium SUV image (and to potentially export)
I'll be damned (in a +ve way), if the next gen XUV 500 comes with AWD. It seems like Mahindra has gone out all guns blazing. Let see how much high it is priced this time.
Old 17th March 2021, 20:23   #505
BHPian

Quote:
The current gen XUV carries an engine which is around 10 years old, only slightly tuned a few years ago. So it's quite unfair to compare the Tata cars' 168bhp motor with the XUV's 155bhp one. Even then, the difference in power (only 13bhp) isn't what it could've been.
While the JLR underpinnings may attract customers, a lot of people will be put off by Tata's delay in getting the cars NCAP tested/releasing the ratings. That, coupled with how many issues the Harrier v1 had, will prompt people to wait for the XUV and possibly, the Hyundai 7-seater as well.

That being said, 2021 is going to be an exciting year for someone (like myself) who's in the market for a 7 seater.
Old 17th March 2021, 20:59   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
This interior takes the game to a whole new level Cant believe that this segment is getting feature loaded to the brim. Back in the day, one had to go for an expensive German car to enjoy these things. Interesting times ahead & like most have said, this will come as a competition to the Safari most probably. ?
Very true. Not long ago one had to buy a Q3 or Q5 for quality interiors, pano-roof, features, HID/LED lights etc. Now, Creta/Seltos and Harrier/Hector are sufficing.

Yes, XUV500 will give a tough fight to Safari but XUV looks a bit MPV-like. More than XUV, it would be new Scorpio with butch SUV looks that would take the fight to Safari camp. And, just like Thar, new Scorpio would be up several levels on the older one.
Old 17th March 2021, 21:06   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post

Yes, XUV500 will give a tough fight to Safari but XUV looks a bit MPV-like. More than XUV, it would be new Scorpio with butch SUV looks that would take the fight to Safari camp. And, just like Thar, new Scorpio would be up several levels on the older one.
I hope Mahindra has taken care of the quality of plastics used. This new offering will definitely bring in a lot of footfalls for them, especially prospective Tata Safari buyers, however they need to ensure interiors in the new gen model age well. Rattles and squeaks in a 2 million rupee car will be a big let down.
Old 17th March 2021, 21:32   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That being said, it's bemusing to disregard two greatest USPs of the Harrier/Safari.
Landrover/Jaguar underpinnings without the AWD setup is just like having a NOS button, without the NOS function!!

About the engines, the new diesel and petrol are confirmed to produce 185 HP and 190 HP respectively, both significantly higher than Harrier/Safari twins.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 21:42   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I have a clearer shot. Let me know your thoughts
I read some weeks ago that Mahindra is planning to revamp their archaic logo. Any idea if the new logo is camouflaged inside those adhesive sheets in the steering wheel ?

Last edited by pandatrooper : 17th March 2021 at 21:43.
Old 17th March 2021, 22:52   #510
BHPian

Quote:
The same FCA engine does duty on

Hector
Hector+
Jeep Compass
Harrier
Safari

Basically the entire segment has the same motor, so definitely not a USP. We can give points for sweet mating that 170 horses to the smooth Hyundai Autobo
The FCA is a proven mill no doubt, but the mHawk can hold its own.

Quote:
True, but against our hopes, the pedigree and the underpinnings have not translated to true blue DNA anywhere but for a feeble resemblance to the Discovery Sport and a scuffplate which says "Land Rover Pedigree". Forget Land Rover, this is the first Safari without GC numbers on its brochure.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks