Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2019, 20:45   #721
BANNED

re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Here are some more pictures of the Hector, the grey looks nice! Im sure Kerala will lap up the white Hectors in plenty.
The squared wheel arches seem so weird when viewed from side. It feels like the suspension is busted. The execution need to be perfect like a Jeep Compass.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 20:53   #722
BHPian

Checked with a dealer in Pune and Mumbai and both stated deliveries may start by September. This was July as informed last week. This applies only for MANUAL transmission and Automatic delivery dates are unknown.

Mod Note: Please avoid typing like..... this.....

Last edited by ampere : 11th June 2019 at 20:59. Reason: Dotty post
Old 11th June 2019, 22:01   #723
Senior - BHPian

Visited the Chennai Showroom today, was quite crowded even during working hours! Showroom experience was quite good and staff explained everything even though I told them I am not interested in getting the car anytime soon!

Cars on display didn't seem like prototype, everything felt like proper factory finish. Build quality was much better than expected, tyres didn't seem too small, all the equipment were working fine!

Only thing left to find out is how it drives. Only petrol gets autobox, which is a disappointment, since such a heavy car would return single digit FE no matter how sanely we drive in traffic. Hope people (non-enthusiasts) who are putting their money down for the petrol variant understand this.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th June 2019 at 22:56. Reason: quiet > quite, event > even.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 22:29   #724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooomph View Post
Checked with a dealer in Pune and Mumbai and both stated deliveries may start by September. This was July as informed last week.
I think you have been wrongly informed. My friends in MG Motors have confirmed that deliveries will start by end June / early July. This was also confirmed by Mr Chaba.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th June 2019 at 23:36. Reason: Formatting quoted post
madhavan1605 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 23:00   #725
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhavan1605 View Post
I think you have been wrongly informed. My friends in MG Motors have confirmed that deliveries will start by end June / early July. This was also confirmed by Mr Chaba.
You are correct, prices will be announced by 3rd week of June. Deliveries soon after except the automatic which will be released post homologation completion. Based on informal discussions, the response for the bookings has been extremely good and MG, being a new brand, would want to release as many units into the market ASAP!
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 04:55   #726
BHPian

MG Hector media drive embargo ends on Friday the 14th.

Waiting for the reviews on their respective YouTube channels.

Hopefully the Team-Bhp official review will follow soon too.

TV18 pictorial spread from the media drive
Link

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th June 2019 at 23:36. Reason: Spacing
Ithaca is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 09:44   #727
BHPian

MG Showroom coming up next to Delmia Circle, JP Nagar Bangalore.
Not a very high visibility location; easy to miss.

While coming from Bannerghatta road towards Delmia Circle, its on your left just before Delmia Circle flyover starts.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th June 2019 at 23:36. Reason: Spacing
sanjaykk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 10:47   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
MG Hector media drive embargo ends on Friday the 14th.
Link
I sincerely hope that media drives also covered petrol automatic rather than just manual. For whatever reasons best known to manufacturers, they raise lot of hope in marketing the auto version but then step back during launch. Tata did it with Harrier and it seems, MG may be potentially delayed for Hector automatic. I simply can't fathom why homologation is rumored to be still on when they've already launched the product with all glitz and close to announcing the pricing. Is it just to keep market buzzing with their products or they're serious about customer experience and commitment as what they've been harping on.

I hope they launch auto along with manual to keep everybody interested else it might go down harrier way and with KIA Seltos launch imminent, it would be game on for MG.
Old 12th June 2019, 11:27   #729
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMachine View Post
I sincerely hope that media drives also covered petrol automatic rather than just manual. For whatever reasons best known to manufacturers, they raise lot of hope in marketing the auto version but then step back during launch.
That statement is a little unfair.

Note that homologation happens once the final prod spec has been frozen. Testing an auto box requires various shift pattern logic to be tested, validated etc. My guess is that the two volume sellers needed to be processed first. Note that ARAI have limited staff and many manufacturers have models in the pipeline awaiting homologation.

The logistics of the media drive had room for only two versions to be tested. As we were informed, the homologation for the auto is near completion and should be ready for release around the same time that deliveries start. Am sure test drive auto's will be available nearer the time.

Last edited by ajmat : 12th June 2019 at 12:43.
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 11:48   #730
BHPian

Wiith the positives and negatives that have been discussed here in this thread : One thing to appreciate that the design of the car is very suave - Like it suits well both in a corporate set up as well as in party setup. ( Imagine the car being driven in the lobby of a 5 star hotel vs. a high end office complex, both would great) While the looks are subjective, I am a big fan of this design - strongly beleive this could become timeless

I happened to make a booking of the Top model Auto petrol - the showroom is in Noida :showroom experience and staff experience was extremely good. They were courteous and very helpful, however me and my Father were not really satisifed with the paperwork.

After making a booking, we were expecting to receive some proper paperwork : some welcome kit/message from MG but all we got was a handwritten provisional receipt (Without GST details) from the dealer with no mention about. the refund of deposit without cancellation.

My father is very particular about documentation and we pushed it right till the owner of the dealership to confirm that they will give the slip with all information.

2 days after constant follow up and pushes : we managed to take an email from the dealership with the attached GST receipt and confirming on mail body about the zero charges cancellation clause.

Would request all members to be prudent about the above.

About the Car :

The plastics are a bit hard on their appearance and feel both : and all black interiors dont make the car feel claustrophobic. I checked with an car detailer : The leather inserts on the dashboard/ doorpad (which is in black colour) can be covered under a any material ( i prefer convert it to tan brown/beige), this would probably give an even more premium look.

I also had the fortune of having a small drive(Diesel manual), just a few first impressions:

The steering was extremely lightweight and the air conditioner worked really well in this sweltering Delhi heat. The noise of the engine was well muted but there were slight vibrations in the gearstick.

The clutch engagement point on the pedal was very low and shouldnt be pain in the traffic.

Hoping to get a full fledged test drive soon of the A/T as the car comes into light on june 15th

Last edited by ajmat : 12th June 2019 at 12:45. Reason: typos
don_carmaster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 12:08   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Am sure test drive auto's will be available nearer the time.
Thanks for the details. I'll trust the details coming from T-BHP team compared to dealers and other sources. Hector auto is in my shopping list which has been long pending for a decent choice in sub 20 lakh category. I put my bet on Harrier only to be disappointed. Next option is Hector or KIA (hope they launch turbo petrol). The wait is frustrating and at times I think of simply getting Octy 1.8 TSI with a bit of stretch and be happy for rest of my life.
LeoMachine is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 12:18   #732
Senior - BHPian

I'm eagerly awaiting first-drive impressions, and your observation on the vibey gear shift has me concerned. My TD is due over the weekend, and I shall look out for the vibration aspect. The car looks solidly built indeed, and MG is splurging on showroom interiors and good service network - unlike the veterans. This has me impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster View Post
there were slight vibrations in the gearstick.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th June 2019 at 23:37. Reason: Spacing
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 13:47   #733
BHPian

To all the members here:

While we have clarity about the diesel engine of the Hector being sourced from Fiat's Compass derivative.

Do we have any clarity about the Petrol engine ? What I have heard till now is that's an engine developed by MG (which sounded highly unlikely as the same engine is also available in the Almaz and Baojun 530).

I researched deeper and could connect it as a derivative of a GM Daewoo engine which was earlier in a capacity of 1.2 litre petrol.

The 1.5 litre version (which is also there in Hector) is called STEC III engine by the same GM - DAEWOO engine. Can anyone shed more light/ Confirm this ? As I have concerns about its reliability.

Also, is there any clarity about who has manufactured the DCT (A/T gearbox)? I couldn't gain any info for the same.

More info here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daewoo_S-TEC_engine

Regards

Last edited by GTO : 13th June 2019 at 17:45. Reason: typos
don_carmaster is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th June 2019, 15:07   #734
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster View Post

DO we have any clarity about the petrol engine ? What i have heard till now is thats a engine developed by MG (which sounded higly unlikely as the same engine is also avalble in Almaz and Baojun 530)

I researched deeper and could connect it as the derivative of a GM Daewoo engine which was ealier in a capacity off 1.2 litre petrol.

Also, is there any clarity about who has manufactured the DCT (A/T gearbox)? I couldnt gain any info for the same

More info here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daewoo_S-TEC_engine

Regards

The engine was adapted by SAIC. Remember the Hector is derived from the Baojun which is part of a joint venture with GM. I cannot confirm whether the engine is a specific GM one.

The DCT has been developed by SAIC so I understand
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 16:01   #735
BHPian

While the Hector looks good and MG is making all the right noise regarding the launch, One thing that I think is missing is the cost of ownership post the sales. What I mean is MG should also advertise the service intervals, basic cost of service estimation and price list of major spare parts. Since they are a new brand, this would also have a positive perception with potential customers and avoid shocks later on. Basic and extended warranty on par or better than competitors would also help the case.

Last edited by malgudi : 12th June 2019 at 16:02.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks