Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2019, 08:30   #616
Distinguished - BHPian

re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Is MG Motors a British or a Chinese Brand ? And here is its Managing Director Rajeev Chaba's response.

Quote:
Is JLR (Jaguar Land Rover, owned by Tata Motors) a British brand or an Indian brand? It’s British. Morris Garages was owned by BMW till 10 years ago. Was it a German brand then or a British brand? It’s British.

Volvo is owned by Geely, China. Does it make Volvo a Chinese brand?

MG is a British brand. Yes, the ownership is Chinese. But that's a good thing for us because they have got deep pockets. They are spending a lot of money on technology — EVs, hybrids, connectivity, mobility services. All that R&D and future-ready programmes are available to us, so that's going to be our big differentiator in this market.
All about being Indian:

Quote:
The beauty of our business is that it is managed only by Indians
Indian strategy in 3 phases ( 3 Year time-frame):

Phase I

- Right employees, dealers, appropriate locations, good products, a reasonable cost of ownership and to start establishing the brand image the right way.

- Focus is on ensuring employee satisfaction, dealer satisfaction, and consumer satisfaction, as that will set foundation for future growth.

- Not to run behind big volumes and market share

Phase II

- Eyeing the high-volumes segment, which means expand the network, manufacturing capacity, have more products, more localisation and have more linkages to the economy.

Phase III

- After 2024-2025 it is is all about volume growth with profitability.

Quote:
We have committed Rs 5,000 crore of investment in India. So far, we have invested Rs 2,300 crore for Phase-I. By the end of this year, we need to finalise our manufacturing expansion plans for Phase
Link

Last edited by ajmat : 31st May 2019 at 09:44.
volkman10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 08:36   #617
Senior - BHPian

Looks good on paper at this 15000ft cause this is text book stuff. I hope the products, the pricing, the a.s.s experience and the government's policies all come together in that cosmic coincidence in reality for them to succeed. But as a start, at least the product part with Hector looks promising. And not to forget Kia snapping at their heels already with what looks like a gorgeous car!!

I hope they succeed cause I like what MG and Kia are doing with the design of their cars.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 31st May 2019 at 08:38.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 08:53   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Is MG Motors a British or a Chinese Brand ? And here is its Managing Director Rajeev Chaba's response.

"Is JLR (Jaguar Land Rover, owned by Tata Motors) a British brand or an Indian brand? It’s British. Morris Garages was owned by BMW till 10 years ago. Was it a German brand then or a British brand? It’s British.

MG is a British brand. Yes, the ownership is Chinese. But that's a good thing for us because they have got deep pockets. They are spending a lot of money on technology — EVs, hybrids, connectivity, mobility services. All that R&D and future-ready programmes are available to us, so that's going to be our big differentiator in this market"

Link
But the question here is not the brand but a Chinese car branded as MG, I some what don't agree comparing MG with Jaguar Land Rover or Volvo. They manufacture pedigree cars not just put their logos to use the brand to sell cars. Tata still sells cars as Tata and not as Jaguar or Land Rover.

No body would have questioned MG, if they had launched an actual MG car.
diwa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 09:16   #619
BHPian

MG India's first SUV named Hector

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post

No body would have questioned MG, if they had launched an actual MG car.
Did we question Renault for rebadging Dacia products as Renault in India? I think nope!

In the past manufacturers have dared to launch their authentic/global versions but that has not set sales on fire. Biggest examples being Global Fiesta, Renault Fluence, Renault Koleos.

Let's judge a car after driving it. In India many manufacturers launch their cheaper version for cost benefit and if it turns out to be good, why fret?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th June 2019 at 23:49. Reason: Spacing
Waspune is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 09:48   #620
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Rajeev has diverted the subject by comparing the ownership aspect. JLR although Indian owned, sill designs and manufactures cars from the UK. The legacy and the DNA is carried on.

As for MG, everything is designed in China, none of the legacy and DNA has been carried over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Did we question Renault for rebadging Dacia products as Renault in India? I think nope!
Well, Renault had designed it and Dacia is sold in the same Renault showrooms as a sub brand !

Last edited by ajmat : 31st May 2019 at 09:49.
ajmat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 10:29   #621
BHPian

MG India's first SUV named Hector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Well, Renault had designed it and Dacia is sold in the same Renault showrooms as a sub brand !
But it is a lower, budget brand of Renault, not a true Renault, right? But Renault is charging higher price for a Dacia if you look it that way by using its brand name!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th June 2019 at 23:49. Reason: Formatting and spacing of quoted post
Waspune is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 10:59   #622

Pricing of this product would be the critical factor to decide its future.

As too low would be considered as cheap Chinese thing & too high would make it look like Hyundai Tucson.

With Kia Seltos buzzing around, there is already major threat coming to Hector even before its launch.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th June 2019 at 23:50. Reason: Spacing
Old 31st May 2019, 11:45   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post

In the past manufacturers have dared to launch their authentic/global versions but that has not set sales on fire. Biggest examples being Global Fiesta, Renault Fluence, Renault Koleos.

Let's judge a car after driving it. In India many manufacturers launch their cheaper version for cost benefit and if it turns out to be good, why fret?
I think you misunderstood my point here, am not judging the car. Please understand the context, it was about this statement "
Quote:
Is MG Motors a British or a Chinese Brand ? And here is its Managing Director Rajeev Chaba's response."
diwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 12:28   #624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is JLR (Jaguar Land Rover, owned by Tata Motors) a British brand or an Indian brand? It’s British. Morris Garages was owned by BMW till 10 years ago. Was it a German brand then or a British brand? It’s British.

MG is a British brand. Yes, the ownership is Chinese.
Quick Questions to Mr Rajeev Chaba's witty diversional answers;

1) Is the Bojun 530 British ?
2) Is the Wulwing Almaz British ?
karan561 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 13:26   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Quick Questions to Mr Rajeev Chaba's witty diversional answers;

1) Is the Bojun 530 British ?
2) Is the Wulwing Almaz British ?
I guess the question was around the brand, so he answered from the brand point of view. Had the question been on the product, it would have been a catch 22 situation for him. Anyways, i don't expect paid media to ask such unnerving questions. This in all probability is aimed at putting the Chinese links to rest in the mind of an average buyer.
tarik.arora is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 15:32   #626
Distinguished - BHPian

Brand building exercise to continue - MG Maxus D90 SUV India-bound by Diwali 2020 from its parent company SAIC’s portfolio to India.

The India-spec Maxus D90 in top-spec form is likely to be priced in the Rs 30-35 lakh bracket

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-11.jpg

Quote:
Like its expected rivals in India – the Toyota Fortuner and Ford Endeavour – the D90 is built on a light truck platform and sports a chunky SUV design, a massive front cowl, adaptive LED headlamps, large dual-tone alloy wheels (ranging from 17-inchers to 21-inchers), and a large and long cabin.

It’s also quite a bit larger than the Hector, which is by no means a small SUV. With its 5,005mm length, 1,932mm width, 1,875mm height and 2,950mm wheelbase, the Maxus D90 is bigger on every front than even the Mahindra Alturas G4. This, in part, explains the spacious cabin area.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st May 2019 at 15:35.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 16:30   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque_Curve View Post
Saw this MG Motor showroom in Manpada, Thane. The showroom seems to be all set to open
I really liked the way their showrooms are designed. The darkish theme, contemporary design elements -- give off an extremely upmarket look & feel to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhavan1605 View Post
MG Motors dealership in Chennai is also ready but officially not inaugurated. Am told that they are all waiting for MG’ s own showroom in Gurgaon to open _ which I am told would happen on 4th June
Any idea where is this showroom located in Chennai? I spoke to customer care on the day of the reveal and they were being very coy about it.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 17:31   #628

Quote:
Any idea where is this showroom located in Chennai? I spoke to customer care on the day of the reveal and they were being very coy about it.
The FPL Automobiles showroom is on Mount road ,close to Saidapet metro station and next to Hyundai Showroom ( I think it was DSC Hyundai ) .

Last edited by GTO : 1st June 2019 at 07:50. Reason: Fixing quote
madhavan1605 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 18:32   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
I really liked the way their showrooms are designed. The darkish theme, contemporary design elements -- give off an extremely upmarket look & feel to them.

I heard that one more is coming up on OMR near toll booth next to Jeep showroom.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th June 2019 at 23:50. Reason: Spacing
diwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 21:34   #630

Got this features/variant list from my friend who had a chat with MG's sales guy. Didn't get any price details though. Should be between 15-20 Lakhs (ex-showroom) as informed by the sales man.
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-29052019.png  

dennisjs is offline   (17) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed