Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2019, 14:16   #526
Team-BHP Support

re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

While Tata harp about the Baijun's alleged reliability, they seem to have forgotten about the Discovery Sports miserable reliability figures also
ajmat is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 16:13   #527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just got this from MG Motors. Supposedly "exclusive" features of the Hector:
Please ask them for a review car asap! Would love to see a detailed TBHP review of this one!
The features of the Hector are so tempting and the car is certainly a looker. Somehow the wife and kid are already sold on this car as a replacement for our Laura. However I will be conservative and wait at least 3-6 months!

This car has many good features which make it above the segment:
1) The JC engine, which is a great engine and if the Hector has good NVH control, should be excellent.
2) Class leading bootspace (587L) . The very low bootspace of the JC has been one of my gripes
3) flat floor board - this is great thing and helps seating 3 in back
4) full Led headlights - this is better than the JC's headlight setup which is really poor

But the only questions that remain are:
1) how will the build quality be and the reliability be?
2) MG's service network is non existent and how will the service experience be.
3) the price is yet to be announced and I expect it to be from 14 lacs ex showroom to 20 lacs ex showroom. At this price it will be a real challenger to the Compass.

Also waiting for the Kia Sp2i as that should also be a worthy competitor in the same segment.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 16:32   #528
BHPian

Well, This is quite a long list of features from MG and some of them segment first. XUV 5OO, Compass, Harrier and now MG all going to slug it out in 15-20 Lacs price bracket and next year we may have VW also jumping on the bandwagon with their T-Cross. This segment is definitely hotting up!

Just to see how Baojun has fared in 2019, The sales have been dipping month on month given the size of Chinese automotive market.
Attached Images

NAVREVV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 16:40   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVREVV View Post
Just to see how Baojun has fared in 2019, The sales have been dipping month on month given the size of Chinese automotive market.
This could be because of the strains on the Chinese economy due to the Trump trade war as well and not necessarily due to something lacking in the car per se.
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 17:19   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
While Tata harp about the Baijun's alleged reliability, they seem to have forgotten about the Discovery Sports miserable reliability figures also

Sorry but none can refer to second or third brand. Even the most reliable Toyota fares miserably in UK (refer below for link to JD Power Report):

https://www.am-online.com/news/marke...d-power-survey

I believe you would agree that the more complex auto systems (include engine, drive train, suspension & so called features) the lesser reliable the vehicle is.

Plus the even Japanese have faltered once they started dishing out complex cars, only to hide behind the facade of marketing misinformation.

Yes Tata can be a laughing stock for reliability claim, but, I do not think they are as bad as they were 10 years ago. And, the Harrier (85% complete) failed you mechanically in latest test drive (those were aesthetic features' gremlins that you all faced but an inconvenience nonetheless).

However, I believe with the Hector, one may face problems with hyped features - 10+ inch touch screen infotainment system. Then the ride quality is yet to be assessed, particularly with skinnier MUV grade tyres.
CARDEEP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 18:25   #531
BHPian

The Chinese are coming and how. I personally want the Hector to be a good car, a bit better than the harrier, just to jolt the corner suite executives from Tata from their sleep, so that they make the harrier rise to its potential, instead of the partially baked product available now.
The Chinese have risen ahead in manufacturing standards. Then Chinese phones like one plus, vivo, oppo, realme, huawei and Xiaomi are actually pretty good now. Even many of the turbines, boilers and generators at our power plants are Chinese.
Geopolitics aside, i for one believe the days of bad quality Chinese products are now things of the past.
DrPriyankT is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 19:42   #532
Senior - BHPian

MG India's first SUV named Hector

Some good quality photos of the Hector interior.

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-imageuploadedbyteambhp1558015889.391563.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-imageuploadedbyteambhp1558015901.556395.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-imageuploadedbyteambhp1558015913.862666.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-imageuploadedbyteambhp1558015926.012187.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-imageuploadedbyteambhp1558015939.749313.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-imageuploadedbyteambhp1558015952.113014.jpg

Love the steering.

The taco is weird, guess that is a new trend even seen on the BMWs.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 16th May 2019 at 19:50.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 20:58   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Some good quality photos of the Hector interior.

Attachment 1876703
Another weird thing which caught my attention is the spacing between the clutch and brake pedals. It looks quite large than usual, isn't it?

Name:  Hector_pedal_spacing.PNG
Views: 4541
Size:  490.0 KB

Name:  Hector_pedal_spacing_1.PNG
Views: 4513
Size:  534.2 KB

Image Source

EDIT: Images of Hexa's and Harrier's interior taken from our official review to show the difference-

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-tatahexa01.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-2019tataharrier03.jpg

Last edited by The_Outsider! : 16th May 2019 at 21:24. Reason: Adding Hexa's and Harrier's reference images.
The_Outsider! is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 21:24   #534
Senior - BHPian

Personally, I would think Tata trying to react to the Hector is not a bad thing. MG is scheduled to open nearly 100 dealerships and the Hector seems to be in the same territory as the Harrier.
And to be honest, the Harrier is in its own segment, with the Compass being more expensive and the Creta not really being its true competitor. So when something like the Hector launches with a lot hype around the connectivity part, the sales executives are bound to be worried and need some motivation from Tata.
I do not subscribe to all that Tata has stacked up against the Hector, but you got to give the sales guys something to fight with!
Bottom line being, Tata cannot afford to sit back and watch. They need to react to every possible competition threat. And they have done so. May be they will do other things as well, re-jig variants and features to offer a better value proposition, just like how the Compass has come out with the new Sport plus variant.
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 08:50   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Outsider! View Post
Another weird thing which caught my attention is the spacing between the clutch and brake pedals. It looks quite large than usual, isn't it?

The spacing does seem wider than usual. Side to side comparison of Hector and Harrier makes it look like Hector is from a segment above. For some reason Harrier steering wheel does not look like a premium one. It is all bling no doubt , but that touch screen alone is enough to sway an average buyer.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 10:01   #536
BHPian

A quick noob question does E-Brake works with Manual Transmission??

Also from the ODO pic, with a full tank the range is only 531km, assuming it is at least a 70ltr tank, the mileage that this car is getting doesnt seems to be too promising. I know it is reading in too much though as we have plenty of DTE examples (Maruti being one) which have a constantly shifting and error prone DTE calculation.
Old 17th May 2019, 10:11   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
A quick noob question does E-Brake works with Manual Transmission??

By E-Brake I guess you are referring to Electronic Parking Brake. If so yes. EPB just uses an actuator to pull the park brake cable. It may seem just a gimmick now, but it serves more purposes in cars with Adaptive Cruise Control and similar high-end features.
GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 10:26   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
By E-Brake I guess you are referring to Electronic Parking Brake. If so yes. EPB just uses an actuator to pull the park brake cable. It may seem just a gimmick now, but it serves more purposes in cars with Adaptive Cruise Control and similar high-end features.
Thanks! That's what I thought. So then the e-parking brake is not in the pictures above and not even in the brochure, as both were manual transmission pictures. It also seems silly to not have that feature in a hybrid with stop-start, etc.

I am getting increasingly worried about the lack of auto display & test vehicles that Hector has been showcased with. Seems like it is still baking and I feel that even though MG doesn't want to follow the route that Tata (& also Compass) took of missing an auto on launch, but it seems that even though it will be launched the production/sale numbers may be delayed. Also anyone know where are they sourcing these DCT from?
Old 17th May 2019, 10:42   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPriyankT View Post
The Chinese are coming and how. I personally want the Hector to be a good car, a bit better than the harrier, just to jolt the corner suite executives from Tata from their sleep, so that they make the harrier rise to its potential, instead of the partially baked product available now.
The Chinese have risen ahead in manufacturing standards. Then Chinese phones like one plus, vivo, oppo, realme, huawei and Xiaomi are actually pretty good now. Even many of the turbines, boilers and generators at our power plants are Chinese.
Geopolitics aside, i for one believe the days of bad quality Chinese products are now things of the past.
For Heaven's sake, Even if it is Chinese, they ought to provide quality. It's not a 10-20 Rs. toy we are talking about here. It's an expensive Rs. 20 Lacs car.
NAVREVV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 11:04   #540
Senior - BHPian

MG India will introduce a 7-seat Hector variant with a BS6 engine upgrade before April 2020. Probably, the dimensions will be same and utilise the huge boot space for placing couple of seats

Source : https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ly-2020-412750
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks