Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2019, 07:39   #2116
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASKD24 View Post
Any clarity by when Hector BS6 versions (Petrol & Diesel) will be available?
Heard earlier that production will start somewhere in Feb and deliveries by March. Dealer now says BS6 production will start only in April, which doesn't make much sense.
Any insights/info would be super helpful.
MG is evaluating BS6 production schedules and in all likelihood, they should start production by Feb. There is a rider though.

The reason they're not saying anything now is because of the backlog. For people who have already booked, if they were told that they'll get BS6 deliveries, and are required to pay a further revised price, I'm sure there will be a lot of cancellations.

There is also a flip/flop from the government about strictly adhering to the schedule, since now they want bs6 engines to be able to accept bs4 fuel as well. I'm sure the auto lobby will push the government to allow them to sell the bs4 stock they produce before April 2020 beyond the deadline. Which is why the MG dealer might be saying BS6 production will be April onwards.
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 10:25   #2117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
MG is evaluating BS6 production schedules and in all likelihood, they should start production by Feb. There is a rider though.

The reason they're not saying anything now is because of the backlog. For people who have already booked, if they were told that they'll get BS6 deliveries, and are required to pay a further revised price, I'm sure there will be a lot of cancellations.

There is also a flip/flop from the government about strictly adhering to the schedule, since now they want bs6 engines to be able to accept bs4 fuel as well. I'm sure the auto lobby will push the government to allow them to sell the bs4 stock they produce before April 2020 beyond the deadline. Which is why the MG dealer might be saying BS6 production will be April onwards.
Thanks @coolkurt, this is helpful and makes a ton of sense.This is aligned to what I had heard.

Delivery timeline of March work perfect for me since I'll be out of India in Dec-Feb timeframe. And if I'm waiting that much, it might just be a BS6 as well. Don't think there will be a significant price increment for Petrols.
Hopefully by then we'll have more user experiences to tune in and hopefully the service infra will also ramp up significantly.
Old 18th October 2019, 19:47   #2118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASKD24 View Post
And if I'm waiting that much, it might just be a BS6 as well. Don't think there will be a significant price increment for Petrols.
I'm sure. It makes a lot of sense. 1. Waiting for a 2020 produced Hector. And a BS6 compliant Hector.

But I'm banking on the above 2 points to get my Hector earlier than what my waiting should suggest. I'm sure a lot of people will delay their deliveries as they'll want a 2020 Hector. And more petrol owners would prefer a BS6, post Nov/ Dec. On the other hand, for a Diesel customer like me, I would like to get my car as soon as possible and not pay the BS6 premium.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 00:14   #2119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2k4 View Post
Is there anything additional we should/could do to ascertain nothing is amiss? Has anyone else had a similar experience?
I went through something similar. I had booked a Sharp Petrol Hybrid on 6th July with a tentative delivery date as end October but got a call from the dealer in end August offering an out of turn allotment. We turned it down that time which in retrospect was perhaps not the best thing to do, since we are now struggling to get our allotment.
Old 21st October 2019, 08:21   #2120
BHPian

MG Hector Accessories Price List

for those looking to convert their waitlist points into accessories purchase.

Source: MG Hector Accessories Brochure
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-mghapl1.png  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-mghapl2.png  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-mghapl3.png  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-mghapl4.png  

t2k4 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 10:28   #2121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
First of all. I didn't know that Chevy was using this. Oh God so this is how the Captiva badge will go into sunset afterall.

Build - all will be the same. I don't expect any difference there. If at all - the India spec MG Hector will be a bit flimsier than the others as thats usually the case! Just imagining like you said.

As for the fit & finish - I think the Captiva & 530 will have better fit & finish as well as material quality relative to the others in the list - simply considering the tolerance levels and maturity of their respective markets..

Chevy is generally good in these aspects.

Now like Mr. Goldfinger says to 007, tell your game .
Interestingly, the Chevrolet Captiva has different interiors as compared to the MG Hector sold in India. Screenshots attached from Chevrolet Ecuador.
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-capture.jpg  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-capture1.jpg  

dragracer567 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 11:05   #2122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
Interestingly, the Chevrolet Captiva has different interiors as compared to the MG Hector sold in India. Screenshots attached from Chevrolet Ecuador.
I am not able to exactly pinpoint the reasons, but somehow both the exterior and interior of Captiva looks more elegant to me, while the Hector looks like too much makeup and ostentatious.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 21st October 2019 at 11:07.
Old 21st October 2019, 13:33   #2123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I am not able to exactly pinpoint the reasons, but somehow both the exterior and interior of Captiva looks more elegant to me, while the Hector looks like too much makeup and ostentatious.
The interior of the Captiva is similar to the 2018 Baojun 530 and Baojun 510. Baojun 530 2019 model, Wuling Almaz and MG hector get the 10.4 inch display. So in a way the Captiva has the previous generation interior. Altough it may be more practical given the lags reported in the touchscreen.
Old 21st October 2019, 15:13   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_hunter View Post
The interior of the Captiva is similar to the 2018 Baojun 530 and Baojun 510. Baojun 530 2019 model, Wuling Almaz and MG hector get the 10.4 inch display. So in a way the Captiva has the previous generation interior. Altough it may be more practical given the lags reported in the touchscreen.
Turns out the Captiva version sold in South America (2019/2020) has the 7” screen while the Captiva sold in Thailand (2019) has the 10.4” screen (similar to the MG hector)! So, not all Captivas are made equal!

Also, the Captiva sold in South America is made in China while the one sold in Thailand is made in Indonesia (where it’s sold as Wuling Almaz I think)
Old 22nd October 2019, 14:33   #2125
Distinguished - BHPian

MG Hector may have got 36k+ bookings, but is this a responsible way of promoting the vehicle ?( in pic below)

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-1.png

Quote:
As the pioneer of internet cars in India, MG Motor India has been at the forefront of technology leadership in the automotive space. With the first over-the-air update in the Indian automotive industry, we are redefining the in-car experience and will continue to delight customers with more updates in the future,” said Rajeev Chaba, President & Managing Director, MG Motor India

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd October 2019 at 14:35.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 15:46   #2126
BANNED

MG Hector receives Apple Car Play update.
Quote:
New Delhi- MG Hector on Tuesday received the first over-the-air (OTA) software update that adds new features such as Apple Car Play and enhances the overall user experience with technological enhancements.

Starting today, customers of MG Hector's Smart and Sharp variants will receive a notification on their touchscreen display to download the latest software update.

"As the pioneer of internet cars in India, MG Motor India has been at the forefront of technology leadership in the automotive space. With the first over-the-air update in the Indian automotive industry, we are redefining the in-car experience and will continue to delight customers with more updates in the future," Rajeev Chaba, President and Managing Director, MG Motor India said in a statement.
Source: ET Auto
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 19:05   #2127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
MG Hector may have got 36k+ bookings, but is this a responsible way of promoting the vehicle ?( in pic below)
Considering it is MG, are you surprised ?? I don't want to reopen the British VS Chinese origin discussion again

But they have their own way of successfully selling vehicles and Ethics might not be a part of it
Sk8r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 19:21   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Considering it is MG, are you surprised ?? I don't want to reopen the British VS Chinese origin discussion again

But they have their own way of successfully selling vehicles and Ethics might not be a part of it
Well not sure what is unethical here? Bad example from a safety perspective yes, I am not even sure if the car is moving.

Chinese vs British origin has been discussed a lot, I believe it is time we stop judging product based on country of origin. Hector came with a lot of baggage with the Chinese brand, but they have done a commendable job in establishing themselves. Their success has brought the pressure back to the lethargic Indian and European manufacturers and are the right disruptors market needed.

Long term reliability and all is still awaited, but I believe they bring a lot of value to the table for the price with space, features, engine and all. I hate the only touchscreen option, but that sunroof is gorgeous.
It is a matter of time before they become completely acceptable like Xiomi and One Plus in spite of their so-called Chinese origins. All the parts of these phones are built by the best in the business from Samsung to Qualcomm. Similarly for Hector the engine, gearbox, ICE etc I believe are made by established players like FCA and as a complete product, MG Hector is great value in the Indian context, which there are few these days !!

Last edited by Avenger_123 : 22nd October 2019 at 19:26.
Avenger_123 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 22:16   #2129
BHPian

While test driving the petrol AT Hector, my dad found the car very slow compared to our CVT Honda City. Was this experience mirrored in other cases too? Or was it a one-off car specific problem?
Old 22nd October 2019, 23:20   #2130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
While test driving the petrol AT Hector, my dad found the car very slow compared to our CVT Honda City. Was this experience mirrored in other cases too? Or was it a one-off car specific problem?
If the TD took place in city traffic only, then its a very normal observation. The 1.5 has a certain amount of turbo lag which the DCT can only mask to an extent. DCTs are also slow in swapping between 1st and 2nd and thus feel a bit sluggish off the mark.

The CVT on the other hand is the diametrical opposite. It swaps cogs effortlessly in traffic with gentle throttle inputs but immediately faulters when you pin the gas pedal. (Not saying that the DCT Hector is a rocket on the highways)

To be honest, I would think twice before putting money on the Petrol DCT as the City with its 1.5 NA and lighter kerb weight is a much better performer (despite the CVT gearbox). Just my opinion, but spending close to 20L on a car and not really getting a corresponding increase in performance isn't quite worth it IMO, even if you are a sedate driver.
vishy76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed