Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2019, 10:27   #1576
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolock123 View Post
I think MG has taken care of that. In one of the review on Youtube , the reviewer says " Hello Behen JI" instead " Hello MG" and the car responds back.

I don't know if we should call it Accommodating Indian Accents or Inefficiency of system.
Reminds me of a movie scene where an actor quotes - "India mein hum biscuit ko bhi G kehthe hain aap toh fir bhi " - Car hain "MG"
peus017 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 12:48   #1577
BHPian

I know its the same car with different names and are manufactured in different countries.

1. Baojun 530
2. Wuling Almaz
3. Chevy Captiva
4. MG Hector

I have two questions for everyone here.

Which one of these do you imagine has the best build quality, fit and finish?
Which one is better looking?
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-mghectorchevroletcaptivawulingalmazbaojun5301068x601.jpg  

Last edited by sreejinair : 9th August 2019 at 12:59.
sreejinair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 12:58   #1578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Which one of these do you think has the best build quality, fit and finish?

Cant talk about the build quality since have not experienced any of the other cars, but personally I like the Hector the best as far as looks are concerned. And that is simply because of the front grille which gives it a more modern and macho look.
Old 9th August 2019, 13:01   #1579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhyab View Post
Cant talk about the build quality since have not experienced any of the other cars, but personally I like the Hector the best as far as looks are concerned. And that is simply because of the front grille which gives it a more modern and macho look.
Sorry for the wrong word used, I just changed the word in the original post from "think" to "imagine". Which one do you imagine has the best build quality
sreejinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 13:20   #1580
BHPian

Quote:
I know its the same car with different names and are manufactured in different countries.

1. Baojun 530
2. Wuling Almaz
3. Chevy Captiva
4. MG Hector

I have two questions for everyone here.

Do you really have a point here? If yes request you to please make it as frankly I can't see one! Else, let's not!!

No disrespect, but I found the post to be completely frivolous and not even engaging? I would be dammed if imaginations of us TBhpians on a Friday is left to do this

Last edited by AGwagon : 9th August 2019 at 13:41.
AGwagon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 13:54   #1581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
Do you really have a point here? If yes request you to please make it as frankly I can't see one! Else, let's not!!

No disrespect, but I found the post to be completely frivolous and not even engaging? I would be dammed if imaginations of us TBhpians on a Friday is left to do this
Wouldnt post it if there wasnt a point. You taking out precious time on a friday to reply the post tells me how engaging it is..

No disrespect, think a little deeper, you just might get the point.

Last edited by sreejinair : 9th August 2019 at 13:56.
Old 9th August 2019, 14:29   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
1) I imagine them to be all alike overall.
2) How do they all look from the back? I hate the MG because of it's garish rear.
Old 9th August 2019, 14:49   #1583
BHPian

Quote:

Look wise, it is the MG Hector which has the upper hand, mainly because of its grille pattern. Interestingly, all the models sport a very similar alloy wheel design. So MG Hector is basically a Baleno->Glanza type of transformation of the chinese Baojun 530?!
Old 9th August 2019, 14:52   #1584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Baojun 530
2. Wuling Almaz
3. Chevy Captiva
4. MG Hector

First of all. I didn't know that Chevy was using this. Oh God so this is how the Captiva badge will go into sunset afterall.

Build - all will be the same. I don't expect any difference there. If at all - the India spec MG Hector will be a bit flimsier than the others as thats usually the case! Just imagining like you said.

As for the fit & finish - I think the Captiva & 530 will have better fit & finish as well as material quality relative to the others in the list - simply considering the tolerance levels and maturity of their respective markets..

Chevy is generally good in these aspects.

Now like Mr. Goldfinger says to 007, tell your game .

Last edited by Reinhard : 9th August 2019 at 14:53.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 15:14   #1585
BHPian

Thats the back of all these cars, dont know why they decided to mess up the rear in India. I like the non MG rear to be honest and as far as the front goes

Many of us here know that the German cars are not exactly the same built as the same car built in Germany. I cant name the person who works in Skoda but he said, the Kodiaq that was given to ARAI for testing was built in Germany and in his words "hum joh banate aur usmein zameen asmaan ka farak hai, unki quality alag level pe hai"

Many other car gurus in the US have said the same thing, the cars that are made in Germany are much better than the same ones made in the US.

The question was simple, but some of us need a little more explanation, sometimes I do too

If Hector/530/Captiva/Almaz were to be made in Germany. Do you think the build quality, fit and finish would have been better, I think so.
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-untitled1.jpg  

Last edited by sreejinair : 9th August 2019 at 15:16.
sreejinair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 15:34   #1586
BHPian

Just sharing a quick update. Checked with my dealer, the tyre upgrade in the Smart models is indeed Continental Contimax MC 5 215/60 R17. So the size is the same but the tyre is definitely an upgrade from the earlier Goodyear Assurance (which Seltos also have).

I had earlier reported that the tyre may not be MC5 as Continental in India does not sell MC5 in R17. However, this tyre also mentions engineered in Germany on its side, and the marking resembles tyres which are generally imported (from Thailand, etc.)

@Sreejinair, Sorry for being a little thick, but where did Germany come from (in these 4?) By that logic wouldn't all our cars need to be imported?

As I understand except Captiva (which I believe is shipped from Thailand, I think?) all others are being made in their respective countries. Did you meant to say designed in Germany??

Last edited by AGwagon : 9th August 2019 at 15:46.
Old 9th August 2019, 16:04   #1587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
So the size is the same but the tyre is definitely an upgrade from the earlier Goodyear Assurance (which Seltos also have).

@Sreejinair, Sorry for being a little thick, but where did Germany come from (in these 4?) By that logic wouldn't all our cars need to be imported?

Did you meant to say designed in Germany??
Expected the same, an upsize might not even be an option as a full turn to one side and the gap between the tyres and the inner fender lining is hardly 2 fingers, I believe I have posted the pics somewhere on this thread, that with a softer suspension would not be good thing.

Where does the question of import coming in, Germany/Skoda was an example

Same goes for Seltos in Australia, its not going to be the same car as the Korean or the Indian version.

I didn't mean designed either, did you get a chance to read reinhard's post. The build quality, fit and finish of the MG Hector will be the same as Almaz, Captiva or 530? I thought it was simple after the explanation and with an example. Sorry if I have made it more confusing

Last edited by sreejinair : 9th August 2019 at 16:07.
sreejinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2019, 19:28   #1588
Senior - BHPian

Just got this below message - found it very very strange - on one hand there are rumors that car is not available for months ! And then this !

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-img_5224.jpg
vkochar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2019, 14:55   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
Thats the back of all these cars, dont know why they decided to mess up the rear in India. I like the non MG rear to be honest and as far as the front goes

If Hector/530/Captiva/Almaz were to be made in Germany. Do you think the build quality, fit and finish would have been better, I think so.
Why did MG have to bling up the rear like so? Makes no sense to my eyes tbh

A resounding yes to the build quality question if they were indeed built in Germany. Although I'm not sure the car would then ultimately be affordable
Old 10th August 2019, 17:51   #1590
Senior - BHPian

What do people think of the Kia Seltos? Anybody in the market for a new C. SUV took a test drive of both?

Would love if someone would share a Hector vs Seltos comparison.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed