Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2019, 13:29   #1516
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

The engine RPM meter is different for different drive trains or models ?
Old 2nd August 2019, 13:33   #1517
BHPian

I just received a message from my dealer, my DCT Sharp has been despatched, so hopefully by beginning next week I would be getting the delivery. That is, if I still want it.

I am still waiting for the official review. GTO any chance you could may be give me some pointers before
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 13:40   #1518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
I just received a message from my dealer, my DCT Sharp has been despatched, so hopefully by beginning next week I would be getting the delivery. That is, if I still want it.

I am still waiting for the official review. GTO any chance you could may be give me some pointers before
When did you book the hector? You must be excited, I'm sorry anxious May be you and GTO can get together and give us all a big review, of course you will have to buy it to do that.

Good luck my dear and congratulations in advance if you end up buying it

Last edited by sreejinair : 2nd August 2019 at 13:42.
sreejinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 15:36   #1519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
When did you book the hector? You must be excited, I'm sorry anxious May be you and GTO can get together and give us all a big review, of course you will have to buy it to do that.

Good luck my dear and congratulations in advance if you end up buying it
Thank you, I am anxious. Although I did ended up seeing the Kia in person as well, and I don't think Kia is competing with MG, at least not IMO and also according to Kia's dealer training. It is most definitely a segment lower.

I had booked on the 4th June before as soon as the bookings opened online.
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 15:39   #1520
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, I am anxious. Although I did ended up seeing the Kia in person as well, and I don't think Kia is competing with MG, at least not IMO and also according to Kia's dealer training. It is most definitely a segment lower.

I had booked on the 4th June before as soon as the bookings opened online.
A friend of mine booked on the 2nd of June, the local dealer here says he will be getting his car next month. Other than the size of the Kia Seltos why do you think its a segment lower than the Hector?
Old 2nd August 2019, 15:49   #1521
BHPian

Quote:
A friend of mine booked on the 2nd of June, the local dealer here says he will be getting his car next month. Other than the size of the Kia Seltos why do you think its a segment lower than the Hector?
Well you may go through my post in Kia Seltos thread, size both inside and out has to be one of the largest reasons as that will define 'big' or 'bigger' right? Else you may even look at a sub4m. Do you feel Creta is in the same segment as Hector?

Also there is no top end auto, the sunroof in Kia is almost non-existent, seems overpriced just like the Creta, no WOW factor.

I am sorry these reasons may not look like much, but you have to dispassionately sit in both cars and try and understand why would someone say they should be in the same segment? Is it just because of their price, connectivity or launch? by that logic Venue may also be considered competing with Seltos.

MG is without a doubt a segment higher, it may not be the best in its segment but it is the most VFM offering today. While Seltos, is just an updated Creta to me, wasn't VFM then, will not be one now.
AGwagon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 15:57   #1522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The engine RPM meter is different for different drive trains or models ?
In general its yes. The tachometer is different for diesel and petrol variants. Diesel has usually max 6000rpm while gasolines can go above 8000rpm.

However what I have seen lately is the cluster sharing between both variants. For example tata uses same petrol cluster in Diesel variant which shows much higher rpm on tacho.

With electronic display for meter on newer cars, its much simpler for OEMs to set the limits and no separate hardware is necessary.
Old 2nd August 2019, 16:57   #1523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
In general its yes. The tachometer is different for diesel and petrol variants. Diesel has usually max 6000rpm while gasolines can go above 8000rpm.

However what I have seen lately is the cluster sharing between both variants. For example tata uses same petrol cluster in Diesel variant which shows much higher rpm on tacho.

With electronic display for meter on newer cars, its much simpler for OEMs to set the limits and no separate hardware is necessary.
I meant the direction that the needle moves. Am I confused or did we see it moving in anticlockwise direction ? In the last page pics it seems normal.
Old 2nd August 2019, 19:09   #1524
BHPian

Quote:
Well you may go through my post in Kia Seltos thread, size both inside and out has to be one of the largest reasons as that will define 'big' or 'bigger' right? Else you may even look at a sub4m. Do you feel Creta is in the same segment as Hector?

Is it just because of their price, connectivity or launch? by that logic Venue may also be considered competing with Seltos.
So by that logic the Jeep Compass is also a segment lower than the Hector, right?

Hector 4655x1835x1760
Compass 4398x1818x1657
Old 2nd August 2019, 20:36   #1525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So by that logic the Jeep Compass is also a segment lower than the Hector, right?

Hector 4655x1835x1760
Compass 4398x1818x1657
I think we are mixing 2 aspects here.
There are economy car brands and there are premium brands (and many in between)
Then there are segments based on body style and dimensions (small hatchbacks, bigger hatchbacks, Sub 4 meters SUVs, 4.3 meter SUVs, Full size 4.5 Meter SUVs, Large 4.8 Meter SUVs etc)
Kia and Hector belong to the same category in term of their brand perception/positioning. Within this, dimensionally, Seltos belongs to a segment lower.
But in case of Compass, it may be comparable to Seltos in terms of dimension but the brand is positioned as little more premium.
Guna is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 21:13   #1526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I think we are mixing 2 aspects here.
There are economy car brands and there are premium brands (and many in between)
Exactly my point, I was just trying to be sarcastic and explain the same to him
Old 2nd August 2019, 23:25   #1527
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly my point, I was just trying to be sarcastic and explain the same to him
Did I just miss something, or did you just missed the whole point that Guna tried to make as well! Anyways to each his own.
Old 3rd August 2019, 02:31   #1528
BHPian

Quote:
Did I just miss something, or did you just missed the whole point that Guna tried to make as well! Anyways to each his own.
Well you just might have missed his entire post.

I see you mentioned vehicle size and the size of sunroof in your post to differentiate the Hector and the Seltos, was there anything else that you wanted to point out? "segment" wise

Last edited by sreejinair : 3rd August 2019 at 02:33.
Old 3rd August 2019, 07:37   #1529
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the Hector for the first time today. I must say that the car is much better than I had imagined. It looks better in real life than in its pictures, and the fit and finish seemed very good. Assuming it drives reasonably well, and service is good, this could well be yet another Chinese success story in India
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 08:25   #1530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Saw the Hector for the first time today. I must say that the car is much better than I had imagined. It looks better in real life than in its pictures, and the fit and finish seemed very good. Assuming it drives reasonably well, and service is good, this could well be yet another Chinese success story in India
I too felt Wow when I saw the MG Hector for the first time. I then took my wife to showroom and we had a detailed look at the car. The feeling became Wower, after checking the inside of the car, especially the drooling panoramic sunroof. Love at first sight for sure.

But the question that I had in mind was, will the wow factor be retained after 1-2 years or may be after 6 months also? May be this is more of a personal nature and could be applicable to any car.
MukundanMK is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks