Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2019, 10:59   #1441
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by varman742 View Post
I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I would like to thank moderators for accepting my request.

I share the views echoed by some of the members that more than us, our families and kids are super excited about Hector. I am planning to upgrade my 7 years old Manza in few months time and Hector automatic DCT is one of the candidate. Few weeks back me and wife checked Hector at showroom (no TD) and my wife got blown away with the space, sunroof and other gizmos. She hardly takes any interest in automotive discussions but she is now eager to seriously evaluate Hector. My 8 years old (he has not seen the car in person) is insisting that we buy hector just for the sun roof. I think they realised as they are new player. Unfortunately tata missed the trick with harrier.

MG has played all the right cards to attract masses.
I agree that sunroof has been critical factor for many, one of my friend is considering Hector over Seltos only because his wife prefers panaromic vs normal sun roof..

Not many take risk going against the wife...
sunny29584 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 11:40   #1442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse500 View Post
Yes, I first noticed the car kept rolling backwards on the slightly sloped road in P mode till I engaged the electronic "P Brake". I was surprised, so I moved the car forward a bit, slotted in P and car started rolling back again. Tried three times.

I guess that was a defect in that specific test car, I hope other cars do not behave the same way.
I just got back from a longer TD and tried parking it on an incline with just the P mode engaged. There was no rolling. Also, I noticed the electronic parking getting engaged automatically as I set the gear lever to P.
GearHeadGarage is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 17:31   #1443
BHPian

This is purely in relation to the sunroof topic here. As many feel sunroof is over hyped and underused feature, it is the case with tiny sunroofs as in Verna, creta, city etc. Having a panoramic sunroof is really a bliss, especially when there are suitable conditions.
nagateja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 18:10   #1444
BHPian

MG take a bow! Such was your marketing and product that you have managed to create a premium market for the HECTOR on the first launch.

MG Hector being sold by owner on OLX for Rs 3 lakh profit
https://www.rushlane.com/mg-hector-l...-12318145.html

Don't know though if its TRUE?
AGwagon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 20:13   #1445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
MG take a bow! Such was your marketing and product that you have managed to create a premium market for the HECTOR on the first launch.

MG Hector being sold by owner on OLX for Rs 3 lakh profit
https://www.rushlane.com/mg-hector-l...-12318145.html

Don't know though if its TRUE?
Maybe this is a marketing strategy/trick by MG
diwa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 06:32   #1446
BHPian

Petrol DCT review by Motor Octane, surprisingly doesn't mention the initial lag as a big concern.

Old 25th July 2019, 08:04   #1447
BHPian

There you have it, folks. Enjoy reading

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-b0808edb89b8471eaacf446a44e8e068.jpeg
NAVREVV is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 08:28   #1448
Team-BHP Support

Quite surprised with this review:

http://overdrive.in/reviews/comparis...-tata-harrier/

The Tata has very few positives.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 08:36   #1449
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVREVV View Post
Aren’t these the same questions that he/she should have asked and find answers before buying the car. Driving dynamics, seating position etc. should have been evident during a test drive. Basically the user fell for their ‘internet inside’, panoramic sunroof and other cool features. His main concern is with their tag line ‘internet inside’, not delivering the proper results. Even a Siri fails at times to recognise commands. Looks like a beta version and hope eventually these issues are sorted through software updates. Now a days as most of the things are ‘by wire’, it is easy to correct the defects by software updates in most cases.

Note: it is always good to wait and watch how a new product is, before putting your hard earned money.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 09:53   #1450
BHPian

Did a longer TD of the petrol DCT sharp variant yesterday and below are my observations. Please keep in mind that my current drive is a Ford Fiesta Petrol Automatic. I am not an enthusiast by any stretch and fall under the regular average consumer.

The Good
1. Light steering that makes you feel like you are riding a sedan. I found it very easy to maneuver in the Bangalore traffic. My TD was from 9 to 10 AM - peak traffic time and I had no problem navigating this bulky vehicle. I could not go past 60 anywhere thanks to traffic. Steering was light even at 60. That is kinda my preference as well. So I am listing it as a plus for me.
2. Once you cross the 20 kmph, the vehicle is happy to rev and made overtaking easy. Switching to manual makes it a lot more easier.
3. Suspension is definitely on the softer side. I loved the way it soaked up the completely dug up Horamavu roads like a sponge. There is a slight bouncy feel inside when you go over fly overs for example. I am assuming you will have that effect in high speed cruise as well.
4. Mom who is 66 found it very easy to get in and out of the rear seat. That is always her biggest complaint with my fiesta where we have to give her a hand in getting out. She loved the space and comfort despite me going through some bumpy roads.
5. Brother seated in the front passenger seat enjoyed the space as well. He is 6'3 and I'm 6'1. Both of us found a comfortable seating position in no time. Major brownie points here.
6. Panoramic sunroof is definitely for folks in rear seat. I had the curtains open through out my drive and did not feel any difference to when it was closed. May be I was focused on just the driving. Rest of the family enjoyed it.
7. Wow factor huge in this. Parking it in my community after TD had a small group gather around quickly.
8. Creep function does the job to keep the car moving in bumper to bumper traffic.
9. Good confident braking
10. Enormous boot space. With rear seat folded can sleep 2 adults comfortably. Will come in handy on those unplanned road trips.
11. Voice controls worked surprisingly well. No need to say hello mg for volume up / down and temp setting. Rest needs the trigger word. Annoying part is you got to wait for a couple of seconds after Hello MG.
12. Good AC and music system.
13. With the music on, I could barely hear the outside world.
14. USB on IRVM to connect dash cams.

The Meh
1. A second or so lag as the car gets rolling and moves up to 20 kmph. I did not feel it as a negative as my Fiesta has the same or worse lag. Might be for people coming from a different setup.
2. No sliding arm rest - It is apparently not to block the electronic buttons for 360 parking, AVH etc, ugh! The current armrest position and size is still much better than that in a Harrier which i found absolutely useless.
3. The boot floor in my TD had the soft top material wearing away already. If you are buying, one of the first things to do is to change it to a rubber mat or some thing else.
4. Definitely feel a slight body roll on tight cornering. Not sure if a bigger tire profile would help here. Maybe the harrier's 235/65 would be a good option here?
5. Camera quality could definitely be improved. Does the job, but could be better.
6. The horn sound is very much heard inside and that's a very unpleasant one too.

The Bad
1. Touch screen lag. In this day and age where we get super fast responses in a 5k budget smart phone i cannot see a logic behind this. This seems like they have purposely gone out of their way to make the screen slow to respond. The SA did not have an answer to this. Maybe this is done to make the screen life last longer in some weird logic?
2. Quality of plastics is definitely on the cheaper side in some areas - the sides of the seat where the seat belt buckle goes, the base of the center arm rest, below the steering unit. Essentially any plastic that is not at an eye level has been given this treatment. Very 'chalu' of MG to do some cost cutting.
3. No Automatic IRVM and the rear visibility on the poorer side. I was looking mostly at the side ORVMs while driving.
4. Using the touch screen while driving a strict no-no. I could not even find where the home button was.
Are any of these deal breakers? Not for me. But it could be for others depending on where your priority lies.

Only big features missed IMHO on comparison with its rivals are - Drive Modes and Ventilated Seats. Not big on my list. I have decided to go ahead with my booking for now. Will TD Seltos when it is available. I had canceled by Harrier booking since it did not have an automatic. Not sure if the Seltos DCT will make me cancel the Hector as well.

Few things to consider changing for folks getting the vehicle.
1. Remove the center rear red reflector and the Internet Inside badge the moment you step out of the showroom. Just yuck!
2. A very weird sounding horn - something i will probably change if i were to get it.
3. May be change tire to 235/65?
4. Explore if the camera can be swapped to a higher resolution one

I did about 20 kms in total and reset the trip 2 at the start of the drive. Halfway through I noticed trip 2 only shows KM/Hour and not KM/L. So I reset Trip 1 and drove the rest of the way. So You can see in below pics Trip 2 showing 19.6 kms in total with 27 KM/H and Trip 1 showing 8.8 kms with 12.1 KM/L. The fact that this was in usual bangalore traffic conditions is encouraging. Even if this is inflated, i would be happy if I get 10 in city driving conditions that I currently get with my fiesta. The SA who accompanied me said there is a way to change trip 2 to KM/L setting as well but even he was not able to figure it out after fiddling around for a bit.

The SA said the insurance had to be obtained from them for getting all benefits (the usual story they sell). 3 customers who got delivery in the past week went to inquire outside and eventually returned to them as they could not get a cheaper quote outside apparently (might be another story he is selling). The provider is Go Digit.

My Concerns
1. Long term reliability - although this is kind of taken care by the warranty and service packages
2. How annoying will the touch screen be? The volume is the only one i fiddle around with during my drive normally and thankfully there are buttons on the steering for it. What happens if the touch screen just stops functioning or gives up after the 3 year warranty?
3. The lower side cheap plastics are bound to get scratched easily. Is there any way I can avoid that with a kid in the car? Any suggestions for this?
4. Only 2 service centers in Bangalore - Yelahanka and Electronic City

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-mid_1.png

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-mid_2.png

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th July 2019 at 10:02. Reason: Minor edits
GearHeadGarage is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 12:44   #1451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadGarage View Post
Did a longer TD of the petrol DCT sharp variant yesterday and below are my observations. Please keep in mind that my current drive is a Ford Fiesta Petrol Automatic. I am not an enthusiast by any stretch and fall under the regular average consumer.

The Meh
1. A second or so lag as the car gets rolling and moves up to 20 kmph. I did not feel it as a negative as my Fiesta has the same or worse lag. Might be for people coming from a different setup.

The Bad
1. Touch screen lag.
3. No Automatic IRVM

Only big features missed IMHO on comparison with its rivals are - Drive Modes and Ventilated Seats. Not big on my list. I have decided to go ahead with my booking for now. Will TD Seltos when it is available. Not sure if the Seltos DCT will make me cancel the Hector as well.

My Concerns
2. How annoying will the touch screen be?
4. Only 2 service centers in Bangalore - Yelahanka and Electronic City
I am in a very similar situation to you my friend, and also eagerly waiting to put my mind to rest after the Seltos launch or variant unveil on 3rd. I am interested to see how it drives and how exciting it looks from the inside. Also what it misses on the 1.4GT DCT.

I also feel that the goods outweigh the bad for everyday B2B city drives and occasional long drives. The feel-good factor that this car has outweighs some of the negatives, most of which can be addressed over time.

The 3 biggest disappointments for me was the initial lag, however, I found it in most autos (even Compass petrol), the manual IRVM (definitely an oversight in an otherwise loaded car) & the lack of a seven-seater version at the launch.

The screen being laggy, should get better with OTA updates and once again most car touch-screen OE systems are similarly laggy with far smaller screens and functionalities. MG has been really clever with warranty, AMC packages & RSA along with plans to massively add touch points, which should provide decent piece-of-mind to new owners.

Congratulations & good luck to you buddy as well, may whatever be the final choice.

I also found another comparo between the big(ger) boys Hector Vs Harrier Vs Compass. Looks encouraging for Hector
https://gaadiwaadi.com/mg-hector-vs-...er-comparison/
AGwagon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 21:56   #1452
BHPian

Meanwhile in Kerala
Selling for 3 lakh profit

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-mghectorusedolxsale2.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rus...18145.html/amp
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 22:18   #1453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Meanwhile in Kerala
Selling for 3 lakh profit

Well, if this ploy works and this seller (who seems to be a car dealer) is able to sell the Hector for a premium, it may set a new trend where car dealers would book 'in demand' cars in bulk and resell them in black!
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 23:10   #1454
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVREVV View Post

Attachment 1898570

Could you please provide what website/app that screenshot is from?
simeonovitch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 23:40   #1455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
what website/app that screenshot is from?
Looks like Carwale app. Not a very reliable source of information, from what I've learnt so far.

EDIT - Found another review in response to the one written by Nishant Rao.

Quote:
I was reading the reviews mentioned on the portal and there was one review by Mr. Nishant Rao who claimed to have bought the car 2 weeks before the official deliveries started and gave full detailed review explaining how everything about this car is negative. This was a classic example of negative marketing from the people associated with other brands. MG has done a commendable work to start their innings in India. They are providing a extraordinary package with the aggressive pricing. It remains to see how the car performs and time.shall make it clear. As of now, Hector is quite impressive. P.S. beware of fake reviews

Link: https://www.carwale.com/m/mg-cars/he...reviews/98762/

Last edited by self_driven : 25th July 2019 at 23:51.
self_driven is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks