Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2019, 13:14   #1726
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
The ACI review of the petrol automatic is out, you can decide if its biased or not

It seemed like a fairly unbiased review to someone who is not an avid follower of the Magazine.

Infact it was quite critical in many important aspects for the car. Its driving, its interior fit and finish, its mileage.
sandhyab is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 13:22   #1727
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
ACI quotes a fuel efficiency of a shockingly poor 6.6KMPL in the city & 8.8 on the highway. People who went by the MID displayed values (which starts from 13KMPL or something like that) on their short test drives are going to be in for a massive shock once they actually start measuring the real world economy. I should know, as I was fooled too when I was impressed by a mileage of almost 11.5 on my short test drive in the city.
Also, very poor acceleration numbers. 0-100 in 14.21 seconds - this is substantially slower than the Jeep Compass, Creta Petrol ATs, which manage the run in 10.xx seconds. Even the Ecosport does it in 12.xx seconds!

Very disappointing acceleration and atrocious fuel efficiency figures. I think the short gear ratios that MG selected to make the big beast move on such a small and powerless engine is the culprit, causing the revs to be high at cruising speeds, is to blame for the low fuel efficiency figures.

Petrol manual may be slightly more fuel efficient, lag is expected and controllable by short-shifting, so they may have selected better ratios. Diesel manual does 0-100 in 11.2 seconds or so, which is substantially better and also fuel economy in the high teens on highways. Explains why Diesel is still king in SUVs. I think once peopel start experiencing the downsides of the new petrol SUVs the trend will reverse back to Diesel at least among the SUVs!

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th August 2019 at 12:35. Reason: rations to ratio
84.monsoon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 21:57   #1728
BHPian

So I got a call from my SA that a car has been allotted towards my booking. I have a few questions here since I have always let the dealers do their thing until I'm called for delivery for my previous cars.
1. Should I ask for the vin number now? Or does that come at a later stage like PDI?
2. He said we got to make the payment in 6 days or else the allotment would get deferred. That sounded strange to me. Is that normal? Or is it just to get the payment pushed through their finance options and not allowing us time to look outside?
3. What's the normal time taken from allotment to delivery?
Any input is appreciated.
Old 26th August 2019, 22:17   #1729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ACI quotes a fuel efficiency of a shockingly poor 6.6KMPL in the city & 8.8 on the highway. People who went by the MID displayed values (which starts from 13KMPL or something like that) on their short test drives are going to be in for a massive shock once they actually start measuring the real world economy.
I am not surprised. This is what I had predicted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
... in the bumper to bumper city traffic and expect something like 6-7 at max.
Old 27th August 2019, 06:31   #1730
BHPian

Any idea when bookings can reopen ?

One of the sales guys told unconfirmed that very likely by end of October, may be a festive hook, but deliveries for the same can be as late as Feb'20. he also mentioned that there is high possibility of those being BS6 engines.

Does anyone have any leads ?
Old 27th August 2019, 12:48   #1731
BHPian

Wanted to share an update: As some may already know I am overdue to take delivery of my DCT Sharp. Earlier, I was waiting for the final launch of Seltos, however after the price reveal I have cancelled my Seltos booking (I have also shared my reasons in my previous post on this thread).

However, now I have a fresh concern stemming from the recent posts on Mileage of the DCT. As per my checks I had taken 3 long TDs of the DCT and was absolutely fine with the 10+kmpl that I managed to get on all the drives totalling ~100km in city traffic. However, these recent media drive reports along with some terrifying posts on the FB - 'MG Hector Owners Club' page, has got me worried. While all along my AD has been accommodating, he is now requesting me to make up my mind.

We have therefore now agreed, as a final TD I will emulate one-side of my daily routine by using the tankfull method. We will get the tank filled before the start (in my presence) and again after I reach a pump near my office to calculate the mileage without using the MID system. Will this be fairly accurate? What do Bhpians think? FYI, my usual office commute is around 30km of peak traffic from Delhi to GGN and I will be starting at 8AM from Delhi in peak-hours.

If I am able to manage a 9+kmpl I will be going ahead and taking delivery of the car this week (already at the dealer yard). Any other pointers that I should check as well on tomorrow's drive?

Also, while I also found the ACI review to be generally OK. I could some hints of underplaying the mileage significantly (highway mileage of around 8kmpl ) for which ACI has blamed the short gear-ratios attributing to the engine revving at 2300rpm on 6th gear while cruising at 100kmph. While, My initial reaction on reading this was also - "that looks a bit high", but yesterday I checked on both my dzire petrol and zest multijet, 100kmph was at well north of 2300rpm mind you both are 5 gears only.

I can't remember how my diesel XUV used to do? Can fellow Bhpians comment? My experience has always been that 80-90kmph is the ideal limit to get the best mileage, as above that the engines are generally at greater than 2k rpm, which will start to adversely affect the mileage. Any thoughts?

Last edited by AGwagon : 27th August 2019 at 13:11.
AGwagon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 13:10   #1732
BHPian

The tank full method should give you a good idea, dont go by the fillers click, but make sure you stand near the tank cap and take a photo of the petrol level. Fill to the same level the second time, try to fill petrol at the same gas station. If you are going to shake the vehicle till its full the first time, do the same the second time, I recommend not to. Make sure auto hold is switched off when testing, set the air conditioning to your preference. If majority of your drive is city based, I wouldnt bother too much about the highway figures right now. Let us know, good luck
sreejinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 13:17   #1733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
However, now I have a fresh concern stemming from the recent posts on Mileage of the DCT. As per my checks I had taken 3 long TDs of the DCT and was absolutely fine with the 10+kmpl that I managed to get on all the drives totalling ~100km in city traffic.

We have therefore now agreed, as a final TD I will emulate one-side of my daily routine by using the tankfull method. We will get the tank filled before the start (in my presence) and again after I reach a pump near my office to calculate the mileage without using the MID system.

If I am able to manage a 9+kmpl I will be going ahead and taking delivery of the car this week (already at the dealer yard). Any other pointers that I should check as well on tomorrow's drive?
I have the same worries about the mileage. A fuel efficiency of 6 would burn quite a hole in the pocket! I would be ok with 8 to 10 since I'm coming from a Fiesta with similar numbers. Looking forward to your tank full test. My TDs all showed 10-11 in the MID which was encouraging.
Old 27th August 2019, 14:04   #1734
BHPian

Quote:
ACI quotes a fuel efficiency of a shockingly poor 6.6KMPL in the city & 8.8 on the highway. People who went by the MID displayed values (which starts from 13KMPL or something like that) on their short test drives are going to be in for a massive shock once they actually start measuring the real world economy. I should know, as I was fooled too when I was impressed by a mileage of almost 11.5 on my short test drive in the city.
The fuel efficiency quoted for the highway is indeed quite low. 6.6 kmpl in the city is slightly lower than anticipated (7 to 8 kmpl). For the highways I was expecting somewhere around 11 to 12 kmpl in the user reviews. That would have been a decent figure. 8.8 kmpl is too low in my opinion. They have attributed the short gearing to the low efficiency. 2300 rpm in 6th gear at 100 kmph is too short for a 6 speed gearbox. Maybe they used shorter ratios to minimize the turbo lag but the highest gear should be an overdrive one.
Old 27th August 2019, 14:24   #1735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadGarage View Post
I have the same worries about the mileage. A fuel efficiency of 6 would burn quite a hole in the pocket! I would be ok with 8 to 10 since I'm coming from a Fiesta with similar numbers. Looking forward to your tank full test. My TDs all showed 10-11 in the MID which was encouraging.
Quote:

This guy seems to have posted a genuine review with actual MID readings:

On a highway trip from Bangalore to Yercaud and back, his MID reported 9.3KMPL over 511 KM of driving. Assuming that translates to around 8.5 KMPL in reality, that would be a fair estimate of highway mileage for normal people. Of course if you hypermile at 60-80KMPH, you may extract much more.
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 15:11   #1736
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We have therefore now agreed, as a final TD I will emulate one-side of my daily routine by using the tankfull method. We will get the tank filled before the start (in my presence) and again after I reach a pump near my office to calculate the mileage without using the MID system. Will this be fairly accurate? What do Bhpians think? FYI, my usual office commute is around 30km of peak traffic from Delhi to GGN and I will be starting at 8AM from Delhi in peak-hours.
Well its a pleasant surprise that they are ready to let you have multiple TDs + also ready for a tankful to tankful TD. Most of the times these dealerships don't fill up their TD vehicles to the brim to avoid misuse by staff! Considering the footfall at MG I guess it makes sense for them to fill up to the brim anyway.

Given the overall weight, size & frontal aerodynamics of the Hector, your expectations are right. I agree that for anything above 9kmpl, its okay. Its pretty much the limit that can be achieved with this car-engine combo in an automatic transmission setup.

But anything below is not just costly to own - its highly damaging to the environment also. Burning more fossil fuels for less distance covered isn't going to help the greater cause of global warming either. MG better resolve this if it really is low.

Quote:
On a highway trip from Bangalore to Yercaud and back, his MID reported 9.3KMPL over 511 KM of driving. Assuming that translates to around 8.5 KMPL in reality, that would be a fair estimate of highway mileage for normal people. Of course if you hypermile at 60-80KMPH, you may extract much more.
Not able to watch this properly due to network issue on my side. So apologies in case they have also mentioned about the error calculation for MID/T2T in this car.

Assuming just about 1 kmpl drop in MID and T2T is risky. There are systems known to have an error of as much as 4 kmpl regularly even in well established brands' cars.

Last edited by ampere : 27th August 2019 at 21:24. Reason: removed video link from quoted post
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 15:15   #1737
BHPian

Quote:

I had seen this video, what you have posted doesn't give the complete context. Let me elaborate from what he has shared in the video:

1. Total drive to and fro was 511km (Whitefield to Yercaud), off which ~160km is highway and ~35km was hills (one way). So the rest would be city (511-370) 140km. Assuming one should take 70km of hills as a similar metric to city mileage, I would say his overall drive was split City:Highway - 40:60.

2. On the onward leg, he admittedly had pushed the car (more than 140-150kmph, he was testing stability) and was only able to get a mileage of close to 6.5kmpl, so if the overall is 9.5 to10 kmpl for the entire trip (he mentioned these numbers, assuming he would have easily used a tankful). So the return journey should have returned him more than 12.5kmpl (as he was only driving at 100-110kmph and downhill)

So his highway mileage for return journey (assuming downward hills also in highway) should be around more than 13kmpl and city would be more than 10kmpl with sedate driving manners and a full load of car. Which in my books is excellent!

In the video therefore he also talks that even on the highway you can't go crazy with your right foot, else be prepared for dismal single digit numbers (which could have been the case with ACI tester, who wouldn't have driven the DCT sedately IMO). I am also willing to give him the benefit of just using the MID, and even allow a small error in the above calculations for the same (as anything more, would have come to his notice, given he would have used at least a tankful).

I had seen this video and had dutifully noted in the Pro Hector Box!

Last edited by AGwagon : 27th August 2019 at 15:19.
AGwagon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 16:44   #1738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That's pretty accurate, Bangalore to Salem is downhill and flat, nearly 85% highway to Yercaud. I am curious what happens to the mileage when there's no cloud cover and you have to use the ac a lot more. Petrol cars guzzle fuel when the load increases.
Old 27th August 2019, 17:17   #1739
BHPian

Quote:
I had seen this video, what you have posted doesn't give the complete context. Let me elaborate from what he has shared in the video:

1. Total drive to and fro was 511km (Whitefield to Yercaud), off which ~160km is highway and ~35km was hills (one way). So the rest would be city (511-370) 140km. Assuming one should take 70km of hills as a similar metric to city mileage, I would say his overall drive was split City:Highway - 40:60.

2. On the onward leg, he admittedly had pushed the car (more than 140-150kmph, he was testing stability) and was only able to get a mileage of close to 6.5kmpl, so if the overall is 9.5 to10 kmpl for the entire trip (he mentioned these numbers, assuming he would have easily used a tankful). So the return journey should have returned him more than 12.5kmpl (as he was only driving at 100-110kmph and downhill)

So his highway mileage for return journey (assuming downward hills also in highway) should be around more than 13kmpl and city would be more than 10kmpl with sedate driving manners and a full load of car. Which in my books is excellent!
No offence to you, but that is some wishful thinking on your behalf to assume such efficiency numbers. There is no city driving credit needed in that trip as someone who leaves early morning for a trip like this does not encounter any traffic and hence the mileage is almost like that on the highway. And on the hills, the uphill section compensates for the downhill ones, so again it's very similar to highways only.

As your signature says that you used to own an XUV 500, my guess would be that the hector DCT would return somewhere around 2/3rd of the mileage of that car - so considering your driving style, please do plan for that mileage before buying. If you are a really sedate driver who got 15kmpl plus from the XUV, you can probably get 10+ from the Hector too, other wise not.
d3mon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 17:28   #1740

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASKD24 View Post
Any idea when bookings can reopen ?

One of the sales guys told unconfirmed that very likely by end of October, may be a festive hook, but deliveries for the same can be as late as Feb'20. he also mentioned that there is high possibility of those being BS6 engines.

Does anyone have any leads ?
I visited the MG showroom a few days before they supposedly closed the bookings, I remember how emphatic they were that the bookings would be closed soon and that it would be a long time before it reopened. Thereby pushing me to make a spot decision. Fast forward to yesterday afternoon, I received a call from the MG dealer here in Mumbai asking if I am still interested in the car and if i'd like to book it! Like many here I too am one of the believers that believe this whole thing is just a marketing gimmick
Karan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks