Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2019, 15:36   #1756
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post

The Dzire AGS comfortably returns 14-15kmpl with AC. I am fine to upgrade to a 9kmpl auto vehicle and it seems like it will have to be a diesel which I wanted to avoid this time. Any suggestions?
The viable options in the D segment around the 20L mark is the Hexa and the XUV 500. Since MPVish cars are not something you are looking for, the Crysta GX is eliminated and practically, the Hexa gets eliminated as well.

The present XUV is bit too long in the tooth.

Jeep is planning to introduce AT in the lower diesel variants of the Compass, but the timelines are not very well known and even in the lower variants, the Jeep will be costlier than the MG by a few lakhs.

Next gen XUV and its Ford derivatives are in the work but again, the timelines are quite far ahead, and the same applies for the next gen Creta.

If you like the Harrier, you may want to wait for its automatic variant launch but I feel that it will happen only post BS-6.

So, that leaves us with the Seltos I suppose.
AYP is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 16:09   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
The viable options in the D segment around the 20L mark is the Hexa and the XUV 500. Since MPVish cars are not something you are looking for, the Crysta GX is eliminated and practically, the Hexa gets eliminated as well.

The present XUV is bit too long in the tooth.

Jeep is planning to introduce AT in the lower diesel variants of the Compass, but the timelines are not very well known and even in the lower variants, the Jeep will be costlier than the MG by a few lakhs.

Next gen XUV and its Ford derivatives are in the work but again, the timelines are quite far ahead, and the same applies for the next gen Creta.

If you like the Harrier, you may want to wait for its automatic variant launch but I feel that it will happen only post BS-6.

So, that leaves us with the Seltos I suppose.
In fact, a few of Bhpians were debating this in the Seltos thread that the XUV has started to again look as jack of all trades and a compelling buy, given that is the car I am replacing it is no longer an option.

I had to hastily put in a hold on my cancellation request after the drive today on my Seltos booking now , after sending them a cancellation request on Monday, which they were sitting on to get more time.

I still feel Seltos top-end is over-priced and also after spending that kinda money, not really an upgrade over the XUV, but as you put it out other than Harrier/Buzzard auto, we will not really get any others in this segment in the next 6 months as well.

Last edited by AGwagon : 28th August 2019 at 16:12.
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 16:10   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am not sure who is at fault here, the car or us for expecting 9-10 kmpl from a Petrol SUV. It was never going to be true and that you tested it in peak Delhi - GGN traffic which is basically 30 kms of bumper to bumper agony. 4.xx is still horribly low and I would want to give the benefit of doubt to the car as the calculation had some variables. But 6-7 kmpl is what I have been expecting all along. The Compass and Innova Petrol cars have always returned that much. My friend's Creta Petrol AT returns nothing more than 8 kmpl. My own Ecosport Petrol returns 9 kmpl. My i10 AT used to return 9 kmpl. Why would Hector be different? Its a BIG car and the traffic on our roads in just horrible.

For comparisons how much does your Dzire AGS return? I see that you own one. It must not be anything great in this traffic scenario. And considering that Hector is a heavy car with a proper DCT gearbox, FE would only be poorer.
Doc,
I am not sure if I am off-topic here as I am sharing the mileage of Octy 1.8 TSI for the similar run. From Gurgaon to Punjabi Bagh, in evening rush hour traffic, the mileage I got was 12 kmpl on one instance and 11.8 in second. Both times, the drive started between 5.30 pm and 6.15 pm and took around 1.45 - 2.10 hours (different time for each trip). Aircon was continuously on. Both readings were based on MID, which hasn't varied by more than 0.5% in my car normally as compared to Tank full method.

I know this is sedan vs suv comparison, but thought of pitching in with my 2 cents as other cars were mentioned.

But I also wanted to share that my car returns around 5-6 if the traffic is b2b, and for a short drive of less than 5 - 7 kmpl.

I am curious to know MG's mileage for similar runs.
Old 28th August 2019, 19:05   #1759
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post
Doc,
From Gurgaon to Punjabi Bagh, in evening rush hour traffic, the mileage I got was 12 kmpl on one instance and 11.8 in second. Both times, the drive started between 5.30 pm and 6.15 pm and took around 1.45 - 2.10 hours (different time for each trip).

But I also wanted to share that my car returns around 5-6 if the traffic is b2b, and for a short drive of less than 5 - 7 kmpl.

I am curious to know MG's mileage for similar runs.
Again we are going off topic but I am surprised at your FE figures. 2 hours to cover a distance of 25-30 kms is effectively bumper to bumper traffic. It is possible that your MID showed you a reading that was an average of previous runs. You yourself say it returns 5-6 kmpl in b2b traffic. Never the less each car would certainly behave differently and the driving habit would also have a say in the FE figures.

We were discussing OP's need for a diesel car for such kind of daily run. My Altis returned me 17-18 kmpl in this same traffic and the 320D manages to return 13 kmpl. The Ecopsort Petrol AT struggles to return 9 kmpl. The run is from Punjabi Bagh to Medanta.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 10:55   #1760

We want a full size SUV with heavy doors/body, an automatic petrol engine and then we crib about fuel efficiency. I doubt any of the full size SUVs in their petrol automatic avataar would be too different in terms of fuel efficiency from the hector. Given the requirements I think we will have to accept the given Fe. If only the mild hybrid version had an auto it would probably improve the Fe by 10-15%.
mohananuj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 11:32   #1761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohananuj View Post
We want a full size SUV with heavy doors/body, an automatic petrol engine and then we crib about fuel efficiency. I doubt any of the full size SUVs in their petrol automatic avataar would be too different in terms of fuel efficiency from the hector. Given the requirements I think we will have to accept the given Fe. If only the mild hybrid version had an auto it would probably improve the Fe by 10-15%.
Can't beat the laws of physics at the end of the day. Manufactures have the options of
  • developing an engine which is torquey where one doesn't have to cane the engine to get moving
  • OR go for a short gears to cope with the less-torquey engine
  • OR build a rev happy engine.
In each of the case finally certain amount of fuel is needed to move the mass at certain pace. You can only alter the manner in which the fuel is consumed.
Yes a hybrid helps to an extent but I am curious about the break point where the car overcomes the extra weight of the batteries and associated penalty on the FE vs. the gain in the FE due to the hybrid technology.
Guna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 11:59   #1762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
I had to hastily put in a hold on my cancellation request after the drive today on my Seltos booking now , after sending them a cancellation request on Monday, which they were sitting on to get more time.
Hyundai has never been known to make fuel efficient engines and I guess Kia would have inherited the same trait. So I doubt if Seltos is the answer for your concern. Check the Venue thread, people there are also cribbing about the mileage of the DCT as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohananuj View Post
Agree 100% with your statement. And like I said earlier, we still need the Diesel Engines.

I wonder how the pollution calculations are made when we have to burn 2.5 to 3 liters of Petrol in comparison to 1 ltr of Diesel in an SUV...

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 29th August 2019 at 12:03.
vsrivatsa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 12:30   #1763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Hyundai has never been known to make fuel efficient engines and I guess Kia would have inherited the same trait. So I doubt if Seltos is the answer for your concern. Check the Venue thread, people there are also cribbing about the mileage of the DCT as well...
100%, and in fact given I was closely following both and have owned a Santro and a Accent in the past, quite aware of Hyundai traits had also cancelled the GTX+ DCT of Seltos as at the price-point which was slightly higher than Hector Smart DCT, I just couldn't see the point. I expect the realworld figures of Seltos DCT in b2b traffic to be only slightly better than Hector's.

However, as I had mentioned in my post I am now considering HTX+ or GTX+ Diesel AT in Seltos. As I don't think Turbo Petrols with Autoboxes are really matched for SUVs in efficiency terms.

I also saw a classified of a pre-owned low-mileage 2017 Tuscon GLS AT Diesel for 19+L, do you think it is a better buy than Seltos? How much mileage would a Tuscon Diesel Auto typically return?
AGwagon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 10:24   #1764
BHPian

Reading thought the discussions on mileage I cannot fathom out a couple of points :

1) How can someone expect a SUV the size of Hector/ XUV 5oo running on petrol give a mileage of more than 7 - 8 KMPL ?

2) Basis MG's statement that close to 50 % bookings are for the petrol automatic, how many Non auto head potential owners realize the fact that it will only give 6 -7 KMPL in normal usage ??
Sk8r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 10:59   #1765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I wonder how the pollution calculations are made when we have to burn 2.5 to 3 liters of Petrol in comparison to 1 ltr of Diesel in an SUV...
Some expectations on this thread are like expecting a super heavy weight champion to have the size of a flyweight boxing champion. The actual polluters are poorly ventilated Metro train, smoking BMTC buses, Vintage trucks, tempos and canters still plying on roads. Can we be healthy by reducing vehicle pollution alone, what about other pollutants?

Last edited by deehunk : 30th August 2019 at 11:07.
Old 30th August 2019, 11:03   #1766
Senior - BHPian

I drive a A star and it doesn't give a great mileage for such a small car. I hope people know what they should expect. Else it will be a big letdown in satisfaction.

I hope MG is sharing the information about real world mileage with them and not just quoting the test numbers. Given the price of the vehicle, I dont think people paying that much money would be dis-satisfied with the mileage in city !

Quote:

You need to look at the diesel gate scam for the answer. They emit many times the limit (which is considered legal) to 50 times the limit that was considered illegal in real world or load conditions !

Other than more Carbon oxides compared to diesel, petrol vehicles do not emit carcinogens like diesels.

Last edited by ajmat : 31st August 2019 at 14:07.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 11:12   #1767
Senior - BHPian

Saw a Hector on Road. The Rear is so Unappealing/Disappointing. Front looks OK.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 11:16   #1768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Can we be healthy by reducing vehicle pollution alone, what about other pollutants?
Diesel generators running because of regular power cuts have to be one of the significant contributors. I am curious if the Bharat Emission norms apply to the generators as well (ideally they should apply to all the IC engine based sources of pollution)
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 11:50   #1769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I am curious if the Bharat Emission norms apply to the generators as well (ideally they should apply to all the IC engine based sources of pollution)
This is currently like the plastic ban situation, a typical corporate style blanket statement without knowing the end point. If they are concerned about pollution, let them remove the vintage trucks from roads, make CNG mandatory across the nation for heavy vehicles, promote the use of LPG as fuel for small cars. The governments do not want to lose their revenue from taxes on fuels but expect people to buy electric cars.

I saw couple of Hectors on road, my observations red is not the best color, paint quality is just ok when viewed in sun light, alloys look pathetic when vehicle is parked.

Last edited by deehunk : 30th August 2019 at 11:53.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 11:49   #1770
Senior - BHPian

Going off track here, but sorry, I have to ask you how the electric metro train pollutes? Regarding colour, I have liked only the black and dark grey shades on Hector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
The actual polluters are poorly ventilated Metro train
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed