Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2019, 08:25   #1006
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianAutoEnthu View Post
Thanks for the sharing, really impressed with this connected car. Which voice command have you checked?[/list]
With just the touchscreen and no button, it was an inevitable situation for MG to put voice commandr in the car.

I mainly tried the Sunroof (since button wasn't single tough open), audio controls (play pause next song) and the AC. Since, these latter two are the ones I'd be using while driving most of the time and won't have time to pull over.

As for the complete list, here is a picture:
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-img20190627wa0011.jpg  

hiren.sharma is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 09:22   #1007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.sharma View Post
With just the touchscreen and no button, it was an inevitable situation for MG to put voice commandr in the car.

I mainly tried the Sunroof (since button wasn't single tough open), audio controls (play pause next song) and the AC. Since, these latter two are the ones I'd be using while driving most of the time and won't have time to pull over.
Will these Voice recognition commands work in case of poor or no internet connectivity?

As far as I know all the mobile based personal assistants- Siri, Alexa, Google Home requires fast Internet to be able to recognize the commands and act on it. What is the mechanism in case of Hector, Venue etc.
Old 28th June 2019, 09:27   #1008
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Will these Voice recognition commands work in case of poor or no internet connectivity?

As far as I know all the mobile based personal assistants- Siri, Alexa, Google Home requires fast Internet to be able to recognize the commands and act on it. What is the mechanism in case of Hector, Venue etc.
They work without connectivity. Our media cars did not have connectivity enabled as Airtel had not begun the service for MG outside of NCR.

We didn't have any issues in using the voice commands.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 09:27   #1009
Senior - BHPian

The brochure lists their proud history. Reinforces customer belief and confidence. No wonder I'm reading today that they have bagged 10,000 bookings!
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-img_9953.jpg  

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-img_9952.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 09:28   #1010
Senior - BHPian

On the topic of Hector vs Seltos, it would be very interesting to see how Hyundai positions the Seltos after the Hector price announcement.

Meanwhile, ACI has put forth a good article comparing the two here: URL

While there are many pros and cons, my focus went mainly towards space management which has been a known weakness of the Hyundai brand and it appears that Kia inherits the same weakness.

To put things in relative perspective the wheelbase of the Seltos (2610 mm) is about 10 mm more than the 4th Gen Honda City (2600 mm) and 40 mm less than the latest Ciaz (2650 mm). Let us not even go to the Hector which has a wheelbase of 2760 mm. This gives a good pointer that the rear seat of the Seltos will not be comparable to the Hector. Was this all Kia could do despite the better K2 Platform (Elantra) platform on which Seltos is based on?

The boot space of the Seltos is 433 liter, again less compared to the boot space of both Ciaz/City (500+ Litre) and Hector is a whopping 587 litre - again another aspect of space management being very weak.

So my guess is whatever be the quality levels, for the Indian mindset I guess the Hector has the boxes ticked better as compared to Seltos.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 28th June 2019 at 09:35. Reason: fixed wheelbase
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 09:34   #1011
BHPian

Coming to connectivity, will it become easier to hack and gain control of car when the car itself has an e-sim and can control fairly large number of functions ? As for pricing atleast initially MG will have waitlists like Maruti. How they manage it will define how well they do later. More competition is better for us.
Old 28th June 2019, 09:41   #1012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Just my personal view, I would request potential buyers to look at the Hector without giving undue importance to the HU. Look at it as a Car, and buy it if you see it doing the fundamentals right.
The HU and the connectivity part is great to have, but should not be the main reason of buying the car.
Very well said. The pricing has been really spot on and will cause a few cancelled bookings with Hyundai, Tata and Jeep. The Fiat 2.0 Diesel engine is a tried and tested one which is already offered in many cars on sale in India. The 1.5 Petrol with MT/DCT is a new engine to India and the real world mileage/reliability of the DCT remains to be seen.
Old 28th June 2019, 09:52   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charger View Post
Coming to connectivity, will it become easier to hack and gain control of car when the car itself has an e-sim and can control fairly large number of functions ? As for pricing atleast initially MG will have waitlists like Maruti. How they manage it will define how well they do later. More competition is better for us.
I echo these sentiments. With an Internet connected car, how long before people try to hack and gain control. On the verge of being paranoid and the recent ban of Chinese companies in the telecom industry, I am skeptical of trusting something that can listen to everything in the car.

Are there any details available as to what all the Internet connectivity enables / can control. I read that it is upgradable over the air, that means there is way to connect to car from external sources.

Seems scary to me.
Old 28th June 2019, 10:01   #1014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post

Yes they will since its not a NLP (Natual Language Processor) like Alexa or GA but instead looks for an exact match.

So, Turn on the AC might work but Put on the Air Conditioner might not work
hiren.sharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 10:09   #1015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charger View Post
Coming to connectivity, will it become easier to hack and gain control of car when the car itself has an e-sim and can control fairly large number of functions ?

It is very much possible. This was something I had also feared when I learnt about connected cars. A quick search will throw up multiple results like the following:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/these-...cted-vehicles/
Old 28th June 2019, 10:15   #1016
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post

And I think the Harrier 2.0 is not far away. Tata must be working thru the nights to ensure the 2.0 version with the Auto and some fancy gimmicks such as the Sun roof etc would be available as early as possible. They could also revamp the features in the variants, just like how the compass reacted with the sport plus.
Not to forget the Diesel Auto version of the Harrier that TATA is working on. I am looking forward to this one, Harrier seems to have superior driving dynamics that the Hector and is more proportionate and tough looking. The only issue seems to the light steering, which seems to have already been fixed to some extent based on the latest posts on the Harrier forum. Base don the Team BHP review of the Harrier and the initial video reviews of the Hector by Auto Journalists, Harrier's suspension is clearly more sorted and and the overall handling seems clearly superior thanks to the Land Rover Discovery Sport platform.

We need to wait and see how the pairing of the Jeep Diesel engine and the Hyundai Auto transmission works together and also how TATA prices the Harrier Automatic. Hopefully they will make the Auto available in mid variants too. TATA will have a nice Niche in the mid-size Diesel Auto SUVs since today, there is nothing in the price range between the the Creta Auto and the Jeep Trailhawk/Isuzu MUX. Given the heat TATA are facing on pricing from the Hector, I am sure they will price the revised 2020 Harrier Auto well. A Harrier XTA at around 18 Lakhs on-road would be sweet!

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 28th June 2019 at 10:18.
Old 28th June 2019, 10:18   #1017
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Talk about creating a buzz - the Hector is there on almost every Indian car website's homepage. What's more, take a look at the advertising & branding on carwale & cardekho homepages. Scroll down on them & observe how it continues. Pretty cool branding.

Even otherwise, MG is everywhere. Great job by:

P.S. They haven't even approached us because they know we don't take car ads .

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2019 at 10:23.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 10:20   #1018
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Not to forget the Diesel Auto version of the Harrier that TATA is working on. I am looking forward to this one, Harrier seems to have superior driving dynamics

Looks like you didn't read the official Team-BHP review of the Harrier.
simeonovitch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 10:39   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Talk about creating a buzz - the Hector is there on almost every Indian car website's homepage. What's more, take a look at the advertising & branding on carwale & cardekho homepages. Scroll down on them & observe how it continues. Pretty cool branding.

P.S. They haven't even approached us because they know we don't take car ads .

If we may ask, when can we expect TBHP review of Hector and Seltos? Tentative week/month?
Old 28th June 2019, 10:45   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.sharma View Post
Yes they will since its not a NLP (Natual Language Processor) like Alexa or GA but instead looks for an exact match.

So, Turn on the AC might work but Put on the Air Conditioner might not work
So does this imply the following:

1. The exact phrases to be remembered for voice commands?
2. It recognizes only English

In case of internet connectivity, will this system use AI and NLP to recognize the natural speech/alternate commands/language?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks