Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2019, 17:59   #1051
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
It is the only one out of the three that gets a 170 BHP engine, and it is the best handling SUV out there, something that the enthusiasts wouldnt mind spending extra on.
All three have the same engines, the 2.0 Multijet with 140bhp in the Harrier and 170bhp in the Hector and Compass. So they are evenly matched there.

Regarding the enthusiast, yes they will pick the Compass over the Hector but how many are there in India? Also, someone who buys a car for handling will be better off choosing a sedan like the Octavia not the Compass.

Simple price check, you can get a fully loaded car with a 5 year warranty at the price of the entry level Compass which has just 2 airbags and wheel caps, with the same engine too, any layman will go with the Hector thinking this

Last edited by Aditya_Bhp : 28th June 2019 at 18:03. Reason: Adding more info
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 18:14   #1052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
The engine bay of the diesel should be the last place to check this since it is directly sourced from FCA. The petrol hood should give a better picture.
Does the diesel drivetrain including gearbox,turbo,intercooler and electricals includes the FCA supply? For Chevy it had Chinese turbo and lot of Chinese parts in engine. Since MG brand is owned by Chinese parent company and the costing of the vehicle made me to check it.

Waiting for the detailed TBHP review to know more about parts and their manufacturers.

Last edited by foby.sebastian : 28th June 2019 at 18:15. Reason: Spell check
Old 28th June 2019, 19:46   #1053
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
All three have the same engines, the 2.0 Multijet with 140bhp in the Harrier and 170bhp in the Hector and Compass. So they are evenly matched there.

Regarding the enthusiast, yes they will pick the Compass over the Hector but how many are there in India? Also, someone who buys a car for handling will be better off choosing a sedan like the Octavia not the Compass.

Simple price check, you can get a fully loaded car with a 5 year warranty at the price of the entry level Compass which has just 2 airbags and wheel caps, with the same engine too, any layman will go with the Hector thinking this
Okay. I didn't know that the Hector got a 170 BHP engine.
And you say as if 30 BHP is nothing. It's a lot.

What if there is someone like me, who travels a lot to the hills, where the GC will matter. What if I have parents who can't get into or out of a low slung sedan like the octy.

"Fully loaded car" No thanks. I'd rather have 30 BHP extra than fancy DRLs and alloys.
simeonovitch is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 19:52   #1054
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent pricing, i must admit but again quality comes with price.
Cars like the Creta or the Compass are overpriced by an extent but these cars are reliable and we know they do not have any quality issue's. They are time tested by now.

If the Hector can deliver same level of long term ownership satisfaction then indeed they have got a winner in their hand. As of now it's too early to comment on an unknown brand.
Till now Compass will be my top choice.

People who are considering the Hector, i will say-

First wait for the Team Bhp review.
Based on the review take a test drive and decide yourself.
Wait for a year to get some customer feedback on the car and the service both.

From my heart i want the MG Hector to be a success, so at-least other companies will be forced to price their products more competitively.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 19:57   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
In the image above, would it be possible to change these leather inserts of the dash to something more likable color. (I checked if that can be done at the Manufacturer/dealer level, but they cant: so after market is it possible?)
I'm sure soon there will be a lot of stuff to get off sites like aliexpress.com
they already sell so much stuff for cars and bikes that one may never have thought he/she would need to replace!

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2019 at 21:51. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 28th June 2019, 21:30   #1056
BHPian

Does anyone know who manufacturers the petrol engine in the MG Hector? I might be travelling soon to try out the DCT, hope its good. I am not expecting it to be Skoda like, but should be good enough.

Any ideas on the t-bhp review/preview. We will get one soon I hope, probably by end of September.
Old 28th June 2019, 21:51   #1057
BHPian

MG surely has caused a headache to Tata and Jeep. It will be interesting to see how both of them will respond.

1. Harrier can have a differentiator if it can quickly bring in a diesel AT and solve the gremlins mentioned in our review

2. Compass may get more loaded lower variants to offer better value without resorting to discounts. 9 speed AT in the lower diesel variants would definitely help!
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 22:17   #1058
Distinguished - BHPian

Seeing the Hector on TD's go past our house. First impressions: a little more slick looking than the Harrier or Jeep. Accelerates nicely, may be I will take a TD one of these days. The showroom is a stone's throw away - well, almost. Will wait for the crowd to quieten a bit. This TD will be an easy one for me in terms of time. But the follow-ups ...
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 23:00   #1059
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
I wouldn't actually go that far ahead.

It is the only one out of the three that gets a 170 BHP engine, and it is the best handling SUV out there, something that the enthusiasts wouldnt mind spending extra on.

So, it is in its own niche, definitely not in a no man's land.
Of course, such buyers are going to be miniscule.
True but the Hector also has the 170BHP engine. The compass is kind of in no mans land cause if you see the chart, other than the base models of compass, all variants are higher than Creta, XUV, Harrier and Hector.

This for a vehicle that is pretty much the smallest in the interior space.

Yes its something the enthusiasts won't mind paying extra for but the extra to pay is a little too much for the compromise. Moreover we enthusiasts make up a very very small % of actual sales.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 23:07   #1060
Distinguished - BHPian

Two interesting developments of the day - wonder if it is the Hector effect.

1. Got a SMS advertisement for the Tata Harrier.

2. Just heard a advertisement for the Creta on the FM radio stating that you do not need to wait for months to buy the Creta anymore and your favourite car is now available for ready delivery across all showrooms. So hurry now and pick one up. This is definitely a first for the Creta. From not even having TD cars since customers were booking it left right and centre to this now!

All said and done, the Hector would change the dynamics of the Indian car market.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 29th June 2019 at 08:13. Reason: Now
drmohitg is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 00:00   #1061
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Pricing is one part of the game, a big part but there seem to be a lot of other things MG has done right.

- Not acted like other irresponsible manufacturers who offer one of the engines without too many options e.g. no automatic etc. and want us to just take that if we want it, just launching a car for the sake of it (read Tata, Jeep)
- Not held back on features for the money they are asking! so many manufacturers load the car halfheartedly (Toyota!)

Only time will tell how successful they really are in terms of delivering on their promises of a really functional car.
SLK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 00:22   #1062
BHPian

Apart from hitting the sweet spot as far as pricing goes, MG is also playing it smart by introducing attractive service packages. They first are trying to entice customers with a compelling product and wooing them further with service. Hope they live up to their billing .Your move Tata , Hyundai and Fiat !!
adg_andy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 03:05   #1063
BHPian

Taking a closer look at Hectors Cousins : Wuling almaz (More like identical cousin) and chevy captiva (2nd Cousin). The leather inserts of the dash look easily replaceable. Also, visibly it makes the dashboard look even more premium.

At least MG should've offered leather insert colour choice in top end.

Respective Dashboards below:

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-chevy-dash.jpg

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-wuling-almaz.jpg
don_carmaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 10:11   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster View Post
At least MG should've offered leather insert colour choice in top end.

Respective Dashboards below:

Attachment 1888621

Attachment 1888622
How different is it from the Baojun? It is the donor vehicle for Hector AFAIK, I may be wrong.
Regards
Nikhil
Old 29th June 2019, 11:29   #1065

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Two interesting developments of the day - wonder if it is the Hector effect.

1. Got a SMS advertisement for the Tata Harrier.

2. Just heard a advertisement for the Creta on the FM radio stating that you do not need to wait for months to buy the Creta anymore and your favourite car is now available for ready delivery across all showrooms. .
Just saw this news on Rushlane that the waiting period for Hector is now 4 months

https://www.rushlane.com/new-mg-indi...5037.html/amp/
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks