Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2019, 14:26   #1861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
You mean with all those convenience, comfort and safety features the GT variant could be ~16 lacs on road?

Sadly there are very very few models/variants that offer value for money in our market.
Safety? Kia Motors is barely offering anything as far as safety is concerned ( except the Petrol top model). Even the diesel top model doesn't get all the safety necessities ( now there's the GT Diesel auto).

If I'm paying 17 lakhs for a car, I do think I should have the safety net cast wide.

Hector Sharp is a better bet than Seltos HTX+/GTX+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
One owner had the leather coming off the steering, and when they opened it - found the steering column rusted. He has taken to social media in a big way, and has elicited a lot of concern in the community. Should we have a thread on MG Hector gaffes, or is it a one off case?
Where does it show that the entire column is rusted? Metal parts can get some superficial rust on them when they're kept in storage ( could be the weather conditions at the plant).

The metal bits where the wheel hubs go was rusted in my S Cross as well , and I've learnt that such superficial rusting is normal.

Such top layer superficial rust just protects the metal from further degradation and forms in conditions where the air is moist.

As long as the entire column isn't rusted, and the exposed part rusting is at best superficial, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I'm seeing a lot of negative posts about MG of late, most of them fake. Just because it's now owned by a Chinese company, it doesn't make the car low quality by default.

I'd suggest that people take these 'issues' with a pinch of salt and not believe anything without thorough verification.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th September 2019 at 17:38. Reason: Back to back posts merged
coolkurt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 15:05   #1862
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

He has posted the picture, so must be genuine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Is this legitimate or some random post? Cause I remember some post about a Hector having broken down and complaints of smoke which all turned out to be fake.
Old 12th September 2019, 15:24   #1863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One owner had the leather coming off the steering, and when they opened it - found the steering column rusted. He has taken to social media in a big way, and has elicited a lot of concern in the community. Should we have a thread on MG Hector gaffes, or is it a one off case?
It is surface rust, if you look at any component in a car, it forms after a period in time. Heck, my Jetta discs get surface rust if I dont use it for a day. Visible and structural surfaces are treated/painted/ galvanised.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 15:29   #1864
Senior - BHPian

I agree that surface rust forms over time. But this, he discovered on the first day. He is on FB and a genuine lover of brand MG. Have reached out to him just to cross check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It is surface rust, if you look at any component in a car, it forms after a period in time. Heck, my Jetta discs get surface rust if I dont use it for a day. Visible and structural surfaces are treated/painted/ galvanised.
Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 15:37   #1865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree that surface rust forms over time. But this, he discovered on the first day. He is on FB and a genuine lover of brand MG. Have reached out to him just to cross check.
What ajmat is trying to say is that this could be formed at the factory itself. Even before installation. In the same way I saw rust in behind Wheel caps on the S Cross before I took delivery.

A lot of the metal spares can get exposed to weather conditions that aid rusting. However, surface rust does not in any which way hinder the functioning.

Even in high rise buildings, the iron bars that are used in construction have surface rust, but it doesn't hinder application or utility in any way.
coolkurt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 22:45   #1866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Safety? Kia Motors is barely offering anything as far as safety is concerned ( except the Petrol top model). Even the diesel top model doesn't get all the safety necessities ( now there's the GT Diesel auto).

If I'm paying 17 lakhs for a car, I do think I should have the safety net cast wide.

Hector Sharp is a better bet than Seltos HTX+/GTX+

Where does it show that the entire column is rusted? Metal parts can get some superficial rust on them when they're kept in storage ( could be the weather conditions at the plant).

The metal bits where the wheel hubs go was rusted in my S Cross as well , and I've learnt that such superficial rusting is normal.

Such top layer superficial rust just protects the metal from further degradation and forms in conditions where the air is moist.

As long as the entire column isn't rusted, and the exposed part rusting is at best superficial, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I'm seeing a lot of negative posts about MG of late, most of them fake. Just because it's now owned by a Chinese company, it doesn't make the car low quality by default.

I'd suggest that people take these 'issues' with a pinch of salt and not believe anything without thorough verification.
Well, the Indian Car buyers market sure has matured in the past 6/7 odd years ;-). When we had no cars being offered with airbag, who was taking care of our safety. The ‘nimbu mirchi’? No offence to anyone, but if someone wants a safe car, they opt for the top end version which is offered with all bells and whistles and full safety standards. So if Maruti is offering their S Cross with such a version, then I am sure that it can be compared with the likes of Seltos HTX+ or GTX+.

As from how I look at it, I agree that cars have got more expensive to own, but its also because there seems to be an un-ending demand for them. Its all a question of demand and supply. If there is no demand, the prices would surely reduce. In the past 10 years, the financial institutions have helped fund the aspirations of millions by making a thing like owning a house, a car or a piece of electronic affordable and easy to own. So the car companies have also made merry and jacked up the prices to what they are currently. Nothing bad in that. Its purely business.

Coming back to the Hector discussion, this car certainly needs to prove itself. It cannot be compared to Seltos due to the Lineage difference between a Chinese and a Korean company. IMO Korean manufacturing is certainly amongst the best in the world, which of course has been proven by Hyundai and Kia in the automobile sector.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th September 2019 at 11:35. Reason: formatting for better readability
isldhn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 11:16   #1867
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I am eagerly waiting for the Official Review. A heads-up on when it will be out will do good to a lot of anxious folks here.

Hoping to see a thorough review of all drive trains - including the Hybrid Petrol.
Old 13th September 2019, 11:23   #1868
BHPian

Took delivery of my white DCT sharp couple of days back.

A very low key affair (no ribbons, cake etc) which I liked. A guy from the UK customer experience team came for a chat on how the dealer experience had been till date. He stressed on how they want to ensure the experience carries forward post purchase as well.

They are really pushing hard on that which is good for a new brand. Hope they keep up the same enthusiasm in future as well. He would have asked me at least 5 times if there was anything I would have changed with respect to the sales experience. This was followed with a few clicks with the guy from UK, handover of keys, a potted plant instead of a cake, a certificate thanking the customer for girl education, followed by an hour long explanation of the features. Most surprising thing was that the car came with more than half the fuel tank filled.

All my previous car purchases barely had 5 litres just to get to the nearest fuel station. They also swapped the carpet mats with rubber 3d mats for free upon request. Free accessories included - a key chain, a leather folder to keep the documents, rubber 3d mats, mud flaps, an idol, car perfume. First 50 kms in city driving shows 7.9 kmpl. Calculating on a tankful method would definitely be lower than that. Have already made up my mind to live with that.

Riding it definitely gives me a smile and that is all that matters for now! Hoping for a niggle free ownership experience.
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-hector.jpeg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th September 2019 at 11:34. Reason: Please use proper formatting for better readability
GearHeadGarage is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 12:04   #1869
BHPian

Many Congratulations on your purchase..

Wishing you miles of happiness and great times. I have my delivery planned in the next 2 weeks for DCT sharp and I am not sure if i should take it up (Mileage figures being quoted around are atrociously low), would sincerely request if you could please update your tankful to tankful figures with the driving mix.

The mods here are not responding to any queries about the official review date (quite a few people have been requesting but no responses), so believe we would have to stick with owners reviews like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadGarage View Post

A very low key affair (no ribbons, cake etc) which I liked. A guy from the UK customer experience team came for a chat on how the dealer experience had been till date. He stressed on how they want to ensure the experience carries forward post purchase as well.

They are really pushing hard on that which is good for a new brand. Hope they keep up the same enthusiasm in future as well. He would have asked me at least 5 times if there was anything I would have changed with respect to the sales experience. This was followed with a few clicks with the guy from UK, handover of keys, a potted plant instead of a cake, a certificate thanking the customer for girl education, followed by an hour long explanation of the features. Most surprising thing was that the car came with more than half the fuel tank filled.

All my previous car purchases barely had 5 litres just to get to the nearest fuel station. They also swapped the carpet mats with rubber 3d mats for free upon request. Free accessories included - a key chain, a leather folder to keep the documents, rubber 3d mats, mud flaps, an idol, car perfume. First 50 kms in city driving shows 7.9 kmpl. Calculating on a tankful method would definitely be lower than that. Have already made up my mind to live with that.

Riding it definitely gives me a smile and that is all that matters for now! Hoping for a niggle free ownership experience.
don_carmaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 12:14   #1870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster View Post
Many Congratulations on your purchase..

Wishing you miles of happiness and great times. I have my delivery planned in the next 2 weeks for DCT sharp and I am not sure if i should take it up (Mileage figures being quoted around are atrociously low), would sincerely request if you could please update your tankful to tankful figures with the driving mix.
Many thanks. If mileage is a primary concern, I would not suggest you a heavy petrol automatic SUV at all. It will definitely mar your ownership experience if you go in with different expectations. I do not expect anything more than 7 in the bangalore B2B traffic. My average speed in the 50 kms driven till now is 16 kmph thanks to the combination of atrocious roads and traffic.

My highway expectation is 11 at best. Have a road trip to chikmagalur coming up in Oct 1st week. Will calculate it then and update.
GearHeadGarage is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 12:21   #1871
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase!! Looks awesome in the pics!

So glad to learn about the positive dealership experience and that they understand the need to focus on post sales.

Would love to hear your feedback after you've driven for sometime.

Congrats again!

Quote:

DASKD24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 12:28   #1872
BHPian

Quote:

A very low key affair (no ribbons, cake etc) which I liked. A guy from the UK customer experience team came for a chat on how the dealer experience had been till date. He would have asked me at least 5 times if there was anything I would have changed with respect to the sales experience. Most surprising thing was that the car came with more than half the fuel tank filled.

Heartiest Congratulations, on being the first TBHP DCT owner!
If there are others out there please share.

Do keep this thread posted(or a new ownership thread), with regular updates. The car looks stunning! I honestly don't think any colour looks bad on Hector.

What was your feedback to the Brit? Half Tank, is extremely generous, I am sure you must have also availed the waiting period rewards for some accessories also. How much was it? did you take any of the AMC packages?

All the best once again. Looking forward to your posts.
AGwagon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 15:27   #1873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
What was your feedback to the Brit? Half Tank, is extremely generous, I am sure you must have also availed the waiting period rewards for some accessories also. How much was it? did you take any of the AMC packages?

All the best once again. Looking forward to your posts.
Gave him a feedback on the handling charges and mentioned a few folks have got it waived off He asked me to connect with the dealership head and gave his contact. Apart from the longer delivery times, I didn't really have much to complain about.

I got 14k for the 14 weeks it took from booking to delivery. I was told to select the accessories during the 1st service. Even the mud flaps were given to me in a cover saying they would be fitted during the first service which was odd. I took the basic 5 yr AMC package which was 13k that covers parts, labour and consumables.

I shall definitely start an ownership thread in due time.
GearHeadGarage is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 11:58   #1874
Senior - BHPian

From what I've understood, MG is going to reopen bookings sometime in Oct , during the festive season. MG already had 28000 bookings and 15000 odd on waitlist.

So, when the bookings reopen, these 15000 people on waitlist will get the first preference to book the vehicle formally, if I'm correct?

I'll probably be looking to book the hector during that period, if all goes well. Hopefully we'll have the review too by then.
Old 14th September 2019, 12:47   #1875
BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations on the new car man. Would love to see some more pictures or your assessment of the drive experience. What is the expected waiting time for the petrol automatic? The sales person has indicated that bookings should be open in a fortnight or two but hasn't been very forthcoming about the delivery times. I'm looking at replacing my Jetta with this for a daily city driver.

Last edited by imp! : 14th September 2019 at 12:48.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed