Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2019, 10:41   #1846
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
That is so true! It’s like the VW GT with their regular engines.
Absolutely! Also a correction. The top models - GT Line Diesel and Petrol AT are now well above 20 lakhs. 20 Lakhs!! Even more expensive than say the Hector, which has bigger engines, much more space, feels more like an SUV.

The Seltos is a good car. It's just not worth the kind of money they're asking for it. I drove my S Cross to the showroom and I was left wondering, am I really getting that much more by paying almost double the S Cross?
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 10:55   #1847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I'm still struggling to make myself believe that a car the size of the Seltos is worth 18 lakhs on road. So I'm back to considering the Hector. What I want to see is how the Diesel MT fares in city Conditions. A mileage of 12 is what I expect in city driving conditions.
True. I think 12 is a reasonable expectation. Harriers and Compass are reporting that mileage in the manual diesel avatar. Considering the weights of these cars being in similar slab - the Hector pretty much will give mileage around this range. Would be very surprising if it doesn't. Hopefully an owner will come with this information on the forum soon. Remarkably low or quiet on the forum aren't they? Too busy enjoying the Hectors I bet.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 18:09   #1848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm still struggling to make myself believe that a car the size of the Seltos is worth 18 lakhs on road.
Not saying that it is priced amazingly but Creta with far fewer features comes at 19L OTR Delhi for the top variant. The Seltos offers you much more in terms of equipment.
Old 11th September 2019, 22:43   #1849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
True. I think 12 is a reasonable expectation. Harriers and Compass are reporting that mileage in the manual diesel avatar. Considering the weights of these cars being in similar slab - the Hector pretty much will give mileage around this range. Would be very surprising if it doesn't. Hopefully an owner will come with this information on the forum soon. Remarkably low or quiet on the forum aren't they? Too busy enjoying the Hectors I bet.
Yeah even I feel 12 would be a decent mileage figure. For my Delhi gurgaon drive every day, which is partly highway drive, I'll be happy if I get 13/14kmpl.

That's got me wondering too. The Hector thread seems a bit too quiet. The owners are probably letting things sink in, or are just busy with showing off " Hello MG, Open sunroof". Best party trick
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 23:24   #1850
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely! Also a correction. The top models - GT Line Diesel and Petrol AT are now well above 20 lakhs. 20 Lakhs!! Even more expensive than say the Hector, which has bigger engines, much more space, feels more like an SUV.

The Seltos is a good car. It's just not worth the kind of money they're asking for it. I drove my S Cross to the showroom and I was left wondering, am I really getting that much more by paying almost double the S Cross?
Excuse me buddy, I thought that S cross also costed around 12/13 big ones. I remember buying a Baleno diesel topend for 9.5 L on road price some three years ago. Which model of the s cross are you talking about?
Old 11th September 2019, 23:36   #1851
BANNED

MG Motor India to further infuse ₹2,000 crores, double production capacity, hire more people, introduce an EV.
  • MG Motor India to invest ₹2,000 crore for expansion and product development within the next two years.
  • Plans to hire 400 more people by the end of this year.
  • The new investment will go into setting up the third production line, paint shop, and body shop.
  • Another investment planned for vendor tooling.
  • Planned production was 1,500 units per month but was forced to double the production to 3,000 units per month due to huge demand.
  • Few suppliers are running on two-shifts while few are running on three-shifts, and few suppliers are running the plants even on Saturdays and Sundays to meet the demand, says Rajeev Chaba to ET Auto.
  • Expects the demand to stabilize anywhere between 2,000 to 3,000 units per month, so the company is not going increase the production beyond 3,000 units per month in a hurry.
  • Quote:
    Talking about other hurdle that has cropped in with disproportionate demand, Chaba admits that some consumers are not being handled properly at the dealership because there is too much of a rush. They were not expecting this kind of crowd in the showroom so some people are not happy with the customer handling.

“We are not absolutely clean and perfect but we are trying to improve and make sure that we are able to meet expectations. It’s a long journey and we’re not at all complacent or confident that everything is sustainable. I think we have to take one step at a time and the first 10-15 thousand customers have to be completely satisfied,” he added.
  • To launch eZS within next two-three months, Hector based 7-seater SUV to be launched in Auto Expo 2020.
  • Upcoming Hector based 7-seater SUV to cost more than ₹20 lakh.
  • Doubling Hector's production and eZS trial production are going on in parallel.
Source: ET Auto
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 23:37   #1852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Excuse me buddy, I thought that S cross also costed around 12/13 big ones. I remember buying a Baleno diesel topend for 9.5 L on road price some three years ago. Which model of the s cross are you talking about?
I got the S Cross Delta for about 10.5 on road after exchange. Maruti was kind enough to offer 25% of the price I paid for the Grande Punto 1.4 Petrol - after 10 years and 110000 kms on the odo.

So S Cross around 10. Seltos diesel GT around 20. That's what got me thinking.
Old 12th September 2019, 00:04   #1853
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I got the S Cross Delta for about 10.5 on road after exchange. Maruti was kind enough to offer 25% of the price I paid for the Grande Punto 1.4 Petrol - after 10 years and 110000 kms on the odo.

So S Cross around 10.
Not a fair statement buddy!

Add the exchange price + bonus etc and arrive at the on-road price! That's the only figure that matters! Agreed S-Cross is still a VFM (and barebones too, but still VFM!) purchase compared to the Seltos, but citing 'double' is an exaggeration.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th September 2019 at 00:05.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 01:28   #1854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The need of the hour is diesel and AT combination when it comes to SUVs. I hope all 3 cars start offering that soon enough namely the Hector, Harrier and Compass.
Totally agree with the last paragraph. I feel that the sudden push to Petrol over Diesel will not be smooth. This is because we, as a nation, have predominantly been Diesel orientated when it comes to choice of fuel, due to the "kitna deti hai" question.

Quote:
Yeah even I feel 12 would be a decent mileage figure. For my Delhi gurgaon drive every day, which is partly highway drive, I'll be happy if I get 13/14kmpl.

That's got me wondering too. The Hector thread seems a bit too quiet. The owners are probably letting things sink in, or are just busy with showing off " Hello MG, Open sunroof". Best party trick
Honestly, been thinking the same thing and wondering when a Diesel MT owner will share their thoughts on the mileage of the car.

Diesel owners, we are waiting for your feedback!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th September 2019 at 08:22. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi quote option (Quote+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 12th September 2019, 08:07   #1855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not a fair statement buddy!

Add the exchange price + bonus etc and arrive at the on-road price! That's the only figure that matters! Agreed S-Cross is still a VFM (and barebones too, but still VFM!) purchase compared to the Seltos, but citing 'double' is an exaggeration.
The delta is now one of the highest specced variant of the S Cross. Suzuki had added a lot of the features of the above variant to this one, and it's priced competively as the ex showroom price is less than 10 lakhs, thereby getting the benefit of lower tax.

So the S Cross is not all that barebones. But yes I agree, not exactly double. But the Seltos could have been 3-4 lakhs cheaper.
Old 12th September 2019, 09:24   #1856
BHPian

I was super inclined for the GTX+ DCT of Seltos for
my upgrade. But overall package of Seltos with its pricing, did not check some of my boxes. Driving dynamics is undoubtedly good in there. But at 16.99L ex-showroom it seems unjustified. Sitting inside didn’t seem an upgrade.
Hector Sharp arguably gives more bang for the buck in comparison of this variant of Seltos and checks more of my boxes at this price point.
With BSVI the price of Hector DCT Sharp would go up a bit for sure, but would still stay in the vicinities of 17-17.5L ex-showroom.
Aligned with coolkurt here, that Seltos could have been priced a bit lower.
Old 12th September 2019, 09:47   #1857
BHPian

Don't think that MG Motor's customers would have been affected, but scary prospects indeed!

SGS breach outs key data of Shell India, MG Motors

Economic Times
Old 12th September 2019, 10:22   #1858
Senior - BHPian

One owner had the leather coming off the steering, and when they opened it - found the steering column rusted. He has taken to social media in a big way, and has elicited a lot of concern in the community. Should we have a thread on MG Hector gaffes, or is it a one off case?
Attached Thumbnails
MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L-image1.png  

Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 12:55   #1859
BHPian

Quote:

So S Cross around 10. Seltos diesel GT around 20. That's what got me thinking.

Unfair to compare Delta variant of S Cross with top of the line GT variant of Seltos and that too after factoring in the exchange value of old car. Correct comparison would be with HTK variant which is similarly specced. S Cross Delta costs ~11.2 lacs in Delhi and Seltos HTK costs ~13.2 lacs.

For the additional 2 lacs you get

1. A better looking car (though subjective)
2. A newer car (in terms of freshness in the market)
3. Better finished and well put together interiors
4. 8" touchscreen with Android auto and Apple carplay
5. Bigger, better, much more refined engine with more power and torque - 115BHP vs 89BHP & 250NM vs 200NM
6. BS6 compliant engine

Only tangible miss is the rear washer and wiper

Quote:
But yes I agree, not exactly double. But the Seltos could have been 3-4 lakhs cheaper.
You mean with all those convenience, comfort and safety features the GT variant could be ~16 lacs on road?

For the record the Gurkha extreme ABS costs 16.22 lacs in Delhi. Check out its brochure for what it offers. (of course it serves a different purpose but still)

Sadly there are very very few models/variants that offer value for money in our market.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 12th September 2019 at 13:17.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 13:59   #1860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
One owner had the leather coming off the steering, and when they opened it - found the steering column rusted. He has taken to social media in a big way, and has elicited a lot of concern in the community. Should we have a thread on MG Hector gaffes, or is it a one off case?
Is this legitimate or some random post? Cause I remember some post about a Hector having broken down and complaints of smoke which all turned out to be fake.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks