Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2019, 14:02   #1786
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
MG had 28000 bookings and a further 11000 on waitlist. They've despatched around 3500 units till date, so by simple maths, around 35000 bookings remain ( Let's assume no one cancels). Even if they ramp up production to 3000 units a month, it'll still take them 10 months to clear the existing backlog, let alone service new bookings. If we take into account the cancellations etc that'll follow as people get tired of waiting, it'll still come to around 6 months of waiting time for those looking to own the hector.

My thoughts just out of curiosity - I had visited the MG Showroom last weekend just to checkout the vehicle in real. As for booking, I asked the sales guy what would be the approximate waiting period, to which his response was - "Sir, you can book now even if the booking has been closed by the company. The advantage is that you would be placed ahead in the waiting line since you're booking during this period".

The confusion felt exactly just like the 5 minutes the vehicle took to respond to the very first voice command the sales guy gave "Hello MG, blower in full speed" or the repeated attempts of coice command by the guy to play the online music channel. No matter whatever he said, the music didn't come up for 2-3 minutes. Finally, a female voice came directing the poor chap to alter his voice command. The sweetness of the female tone was such that I won't even dare to compare it with the female voice tone in Ford Ecosport

I left the showroom flabbergasted thinking of the customers who already made payment and waiting for months.

Last edited by Mysticeyes : 2nd September 2019 at 14:09.
Mysticeyes is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 15:01   #1787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Diesel Seltos will definitely give you more mileage than the diesel Hector.

Dude 2017 diesel Tucson for 19+L is an awesome deal, ..If you are not going to go the off road that much , I think you should consider that car. 1 You get a bigger car than the Seltos and 2 Hyundai diesels are very refined, when I test drove the diesel Tucson I couldnt figure out if it was on or off. As far as mileage goes, the TD vehicle I drove few months ago displayed avg of 9 km/l, but trust me the real life mileage will be much higher. Its a really powerful car and probably no other car in that price bracket provides such power.

Not sure if I mentioned this before on this thread, but I cancelled my booking of the Hector Petrol DCT top end. It has been a few days since I cancelled my booking, expecting the refund by 7th. I also booked the Seltos Petrol DCT, the GTX+ variant but I'm going to cancel that today itself. I bought a used car yesterday, I had to because my sedan got totaled 2 weeks ago.
What have you ended up acquiring then?

Yes the Tuscon is FWD, but I have no other information as I am yet to reach out to the seller. If the Tuscon diesel auto can manage more than 10kmpl, I can surely give it a try!
Old 2nd September 2019, 15:14   #1788
BHPian

Quote:

I bought a used car yesterday, I had to because my sedan got totaled 2 weeks ago.
Congrats. Which one did you buy and what was the deal? I am sorry to hear that your car got totalled. Hope no injuries.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd September 2019 at 19:09. Reason: ur > your.
Old 2nd September 2019, 18:39   #1789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
MG had 28000 bookings and a further 11000 on waitlist. They've despatched around 3500 units till date, so by simple maths, around 35000 bookings remain ( Let's assume no one cancels). Even if they ramp up production to 3000 units a month, it'll still take them 10 months to clear the existing backlog, let alone service new bookings. If we take into account the cancellations etc that'll follow as people get tired of waiting, it'll still come to around 6 months of waiting time for those looking to own the hector.

MG had said that in the first phase of initial 4-5 years, production capacity would be around 80,000 to 85,000 units per annum but it'll take some time for them to reach that figure.

It's advantage Kia for sure.
I think even Kia has long waiting times. Its not that they have 25,000 cars in stock. Even they are gonna produce. May be the Kia has a little higher capacity than the MG but the wait times are pretty much the same.
Old 2nd September 2019, 19:17   #1790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
I think even Kia has long waiting times. Its not that they have 25,000 cars in stock. Even they are gonna produce. May be the Kia has a little higher capacity than the MG but the wait times are pretty much the same.
But the plant in Anantpur that Kia has seems to have a much higher capacity. In fact one of the articles in July called out that Hyundai was also eyeing to utilize the same plant as their plant in Tamil Nadu was running at 98% utilization. More here: Link

Also, they seem to have dispatched about 6,000 units in August. This means that they are currently at 3X the MG Production capability. In my prediction the wait times for the Seltos should be drastically less in comparison even if MG ramps up by another 1000 units.

Having said all these, the Seltos feels like a segment lower when compared to the Hector and there is no comparison be it the space on offer or the features on offer...

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 2nd September 2019 at 19:18.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 20:32   #1791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
But the plant in Anantpur that Kia has seems to have a much higher capacity. In fact one of the articles in July called out that Hyundai was also eyeing to utilize the same plant as their plant in Tamil Nadu was running at 98% utilization. More here: Link
Kia's plant has got a production capacity of 3,00,000 units in three shifts. As of now, Kia is starting production in second shift too. So theoretically, they can produce 2,00,000 cars per annum ie...15000 cars per month. I'm sure that Kia won't have waiting for more than a month after a couple of months.
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 20:57   #1792
BANNED

Looks pretty decent with the chrome delete.
simeonovitch is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 21:27   #1793

MG crash video,

autoenthu88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 22:47   #1794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
What have you ended up acquiring then?

Yes the Tuscon is FWD, but I have no other information as I am yet to reach out to the seller. If the Tuscon diesel auto can manage more than 10kmpl, I can surely give it a try!
I think you should get 10kmpl in the city from the diesel Tucson.

I bought a 1 year old, 13k kms run, VW Tiguan Comfortline (top end), Size wise its smaller than the Hector.

Last edited by sreejinair : 2nd September 2019 at 22:48.
sreejinair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 22:55   #1795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post

Looks pretty decent with the chrome delete.
Coloring the rear skid plate to black remove the ugliness of the rear. Hector should have done it as OEM. Quite a looker now!

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd September 2019 at 22:57. Reason: Removed video from quotes
Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 10:41   #1796
BHPian

Quote:
If you dont require a good ground clearance the other option would be an year old AWD Hyundai Tucson
Being in the same boat, I checked out what the Tuscon offers and it ticks absolutely everything I want.
Have initiated a conversation with for the TD of a diesel automatic this weekend. If offered a decent discount, I may go for it.
ihrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:47   #1797
Senior - BHPian

Saw one on the road today. The front is nice but the rear has a weird profile to it. Still looks refreshing on our roads.

What is absurd is, there are two words plastered on the front fender at the top in chrome that read ' INTERNET INSIDE' . Like seriously, that is such a dumb thing to put there.
Old 3rd September 2019, 15:07   #1798
BHPian

Quote:
I think you should get 10kmpl in the city from the diesel Tucson.

I bought a 1 year old, 13k kms run, VW Tiguan Comfortline (top end), Size wise its smaller than the Hector.
Congratulations, that's a wonderful car! Do share your acquisition process and pics!
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 00:52   #1799
BHPian

Anyone got some real world figures of the petrol auto.

Regards

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th September 2019 at 11:48. Reason: Review will be out and announced when it does.
Old 4th September 2019, 07:04   #1800
Senior - BHPian

MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Although I have not driven the Hector, just happened to see one of the new ones parked in my apartment next to a Hexa. The Hector looks very disproportionate. Does not seem wide enough for the length it has. And the rear is awkward with the huge skid plate.The front however is quite good to look at.

Just felt that it lacks the sheer presence and classiness of the Harrier. If Tata had paid more attention by addressing the smaller niggles and issues, and also if they had offered an auto, I think the Harrier would have been leaps ahead of the Hector. But its all an IF. For the moment though, the Hector seems to have captured the imagination of some of the Indian customers with its fancy HU and other features.
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks