Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2019, 06:52   #1936
BHPian

Re: MG India's first SUV named Hector. Edit: Launched @ 12.18L

Does anyone know when the official review will arrive? It will cover all the small points all the way to major ones.

I hope it arrives by December.
Old 25th September 2019, 12:51   #1937
Senior - BHPian

The biggest question that'll be there, even a few months down the line, is reliability. That's what one really looks for in a car. Hassle free ownership, atleast for 5-7 years.

I love my Honda Civic for the same reason. Even after 12.5 years, it's never left me stranded on the road.

The lucky ace that MG has, atleast with its diesel engine is familiarity. The Fiat Multijet 2.0 is a brilliant engine, good performance, mileage and most importantly, reliable.

A lot of the credit for my decision to go for the Hector ( coming from reliable cars like Maruti, Fiat and Honda) is this engine. And probably because I miss my Punto too much
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 15:30   #1938
BHPian

Confirmed with SA. Hector Bookings reopen on Oct 1st. Priority waitlisted customers will be directly contacted to confirm if they want to book on priority.
DASKD24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 15:47   #1939
Senior - BHPian

I presume that in MG Hector case, a fool and his money will be soon parted. They are branding it as British MG car with a pre-World War II legacy. The reality is GM, Chevrolet, Wuling. So many people (including me with Corsa) in India have burnt themselves on these scamsters.
vasudeva is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 18:06   #1940
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I presume that in MG Hector case, a fool and his money will be soon parted. They are branding it as British MG car with a pre-World War II legacy. The reality is GM, Chevrolet, Wuling. So many people (including me with Corsa) in India have burnt themselves on these scamsters.
They say "When something sounds too good to be true - It probably is". You, Sir, have advised caution and for good reason.

Last edited by Zappo : 25th September 2019 at 18:44. Reason: Minor corrections done.
Old 25th September 2019, 19:38   #1941
Senior - BHPian

Go to MG India website and it would be quite hard to find out that this is not a 1924 British company but a GM-Chevy-SAIC-Wuling show.
Old 25th September 2019, 19:58   #1942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
They say "When something sounds too good to be true - It probably is". You, Sir, have advised caution and for good reason.
I'd say it's a bit harsh to write off a new manufacturer without even seeing how it'll pan out.

My purchase of a Punto was a leap of faith. It turned out to be a fabulous car. Despite Fiat service. And I'm glad I bought it. Despite the dismal sales and pathetic service.

And I feel there's nothing wrong in MG leaning on its British heritage rather than advertise it's Chinese ownership. The average indian is smarter than we usually give them credit for so I'm sure everyone is aware of the SAIC linkage. Have you ever seen a Jaguar / Land Rover advertising itself as an Indian company? Imagine what it'll do to the sales?

The Hector has 75% localisation and it's Made in India.

Also. I got the following msg:

Quote:
Congratulations ! MG India announces bookings for waiting priority list customers. Please hurry and book your favourite MG Hector today. Contact your Relationship Manager at MG Delhi South. Last date of priority booking will be 28th September 2019. MG Delhi South

Last edited by coolkurt : 25th September 2019 at 20:02.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 20:22   #1943
Senior - BHPian

Yes, take your point completely. But the British heritage is all irrelevant. It is GM, Chevy and Wuling and I wonder if people in India will look at this. Highly likely that GM/Chevy car owners will give it a go by.I sure will not having had one experience too many with Corsa.
Old 25th September 2019, 20:26   #1944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, take your point completely. But the British heritage is all irrelevant. It is GM, Chevy and Wuling and I wonder if people in India will look at this. Highly likely that GM/Chevy car owners will give it a go by.I sure will not having had one experience too many with Corsa.
Of course. You're right. It might be. And I'm sure people know of it's Chinese origins. Including me. But I found it to be a decent car. For the specs, for the safety kit and the stellar pricing. Reliability? It's an unknown. Will I still take a leap of faith? Maybe. Just like I did with the Punto.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 20:31   #1945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
The lucky ace that MG has, atleast with its diesel engine is familiarity. The Fiat Multijet 2.0 is a brilliant engine, good performance, mileage and most importantly, reliable.
Quote:
I'd say it's a bit harsh to write off a new manufacturer without even seeing how it'll pan out.
Agree - that Fiat Engine which is really the heart of the car is rock solid.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Quote:
Go to MG India website and it would be quite hard to find out that this is not a 1924 British company but a GM-Chevy-SAIC-Wuling show.
Folks, this topic has been discussed in detail at the following thread here : (Is MG alias SAIC fooling prospective buyers by selling a Chinese car as "British"?)

So I think readers on Team-BHP are well aware of these facts. In the next six months or so we will know about the reliability and issues...lets hold the speculation till then.

While we are condemning this company so much for its Chinese origin, let us also be objective and analyze about the Kia/Hyundai engines catching fire in the USA : URL

On a humorous note, I have not heard of Fiat engines ever catching fire this frequently...

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 25th September 2019 at 20:32.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 21:30   #1946
Senior - BHPian

Which is a bigger issue: Chinese or GM/Chevy.
Old 26th September 2019, 02:03   #1947
BHPian

Quote:
Which is a bigger issue: Chinese or GM/Chevy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
Yes apologies for missing out this was petrol DCT specific drive as that is where most people have complaints of low mileage

Please DM me your phone number , will call you.

Have Messaged you . Cheers bro..

I have been asked to complete the payment in the next 2 days to recieve car by Sept
don_carmaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 10:25   #1948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Agree - that Fiat Engine which is really the heart of the car is rock solid.

While we are condemning this company so much for its Chinese origin, let us also be objective and analyze about the Kia/Hyundai engines catching fire in the USA : URL

On a humorous note, I have not heard of Fiat engines ever catching fire this frequently...
Haha. That's true. I like the fact that the engine hasn't been tempered down like on the harrier and there's the standard 168 odd BHP available.

Once this purchase is done, both my cars will be powered by Fiat Engines - the S Cross with the 1.3 and the Hector with 2.0
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 11:18   #1949
Senior - BHPian

Wouldn't a Chinese car maker be more dependable ? With the financial and market backing in China, they would be better in terms of their effort. They wouldn't be unrealistically expensive and also provide most features at a value price. Unlike the car makers from Europe, US and Japan.

Also, going forward with electrics, they should be able to continue providing inexpensive cars for our market without skimping on features. The ecosystem for electric vehicles might become like the current electronic gadget and components and China might have an edge. People might also have a better perception about them than Indian makers

Last edited by srishiva : 26th September 2019 at 11:20.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 11:33   #1950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

My purchase of a Punto was a leap of faith. It turned out to be a fabulous car. Despite Fiat service. And I'm glad I bought it. Despite the dismal sales and pathetic service.

And I feel there's nothing wrong in MG leaning on its British heritage rather than advertise it's Chinese ownership:
SAIC is not new , earlier they were selling an American brand slapped on a Chinese car called Sail and enjoy etc. Chevrolet itself never sold any of their cars in India IIRC, they were Daewoo & Isuzu.

So they are GM's partner in selling junk like sail etc in India from a long time, after Chevrolet flopped, they came up with a new brand name.

MG from SAIC is nothing but a sticker, it has nothing to do with MG cars of the past. So there is no heritage here to speak of.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks