Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2019, 14:04   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Volkswagen T-Roc spotted in India EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 19.99 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
More pics: VW T-Roc caught testing in India

Thanks to Medhaj Shetty for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing these with other enthusiasts via ..
The car really looks very good. Proportionate & quite well designed. Very wide. Gives hopes of being a road hugging corner carver this one.
Feeling really happy to see a new car coming with conventionally placed headlamp cluster. The recent crop has really been an eyesore with those split headlamps.
  • Does it look a bit under-tyred though? Could do with a size larger wheels.
  • The ground clearance also seems a bit low. Just around the SCross territory. The front lip & overhang sure will not like our potholes & speed breakers too much...
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 19:26   #47
Senior - BHPian

Please excuse any error considering that this is my first post on the forum.

The T-Roc is a launch definitely needed by VW to announce their existence in the Indian market.

But is it possible that VW will manage to bring in the T-Cross at a low sticker price (starting INR 13-14 lac) by compromising on quality? What with their depleting finances and poor sales, they may very well be compelled to do so.

We in India have come to expect good quality from the Volkswagen Group based on their decade-old Polo and Vento. But VW has moved on in the rest of the world and there have been reports about poor interior quality in the T-Roc and the US-spec Passat. If VW tries to capture the market by launching the T-Roc at an attractive price, the overall quality will almost certainly be worse than their previous products.

Keep in mind that all new cars launched by VW/Škoda in India after their pre-2012 ‘good quality period’ (excluding the Ameo) were in the 20-30 lakh segment and were thus bound to be of good quality though built on the MQB platform. On the T-Roc, however, even the pictures of the dashboard scream ‘cheap’. I’m not a big fan of the exposed metal on the new Polo’s dash either. Bigger, more feature-loaded cars with lesser weight than previous generations definitely means that MQB compromises on quality. One can only imagine what will happen on the cost-sensitive MQB A0-IN platform.

Even with the older PQ25 platform, I’ve noticed squeaky doorpad armrests and interior rust on my 2018 Polo within a year of ownership, proving that VW isn’t the attention-to-detail brand they used to be (maybe Ferdinand Piech leaving them didn’t help). They just might go down Honda’s route in India.

On a side note, is it possible that VW will get the T-Roc here at a low price by locally manufacturing the T-Roc at Chakan? Apparently, their line there has been shut down for updation to the MQB-A0 IN platform. Hope that doesn’t mean the Polo and Vento are being discontinued.

Last edited by aah78 : 27th November 2019 at 19:37. Reason: Removed invalid link. Link to News is on the previous page.
Old 28th November 2019, 08:52   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
But is it possible that VW will manage to bring in the T-Cross at a low sticker price (starting INR 13-14 lac) by compromising on quality? What with their depleting finances and poor sales, they may very well be compelled to do so.

On a side note, is it possible that VW will get the T-Roc here at a low price by locally manufacturing the T-Roc at Chakan? Apparently, their line there has been shut down for updation to the MQB-A0 IN platform. Hope that doesn’t mean the Polo and Vento are being discontinued.

As far as I can see, T-Roc is probably being imported under the new government rules that allow upto 2500 units per year to be imported as CBUs and sold without homologation. It will have to bear the 100% plus cutoms duty and therefore there is no chance, absolutely, of it being sold in that price range. The prices in Europe range from 20K - 30K Euro, so my guess is the T-Roc will retail here at around 22-25 lakhs ex-showroom, giving it sufficient headroom compared to the Tiguan above. I think the sole purpose of VW may be to keep creating headlines on new launches (low volume imports to raise brand profile and perception) until they have the MQB-A0-IN based cars ready.

Once the new platform is ready, post the launch of T-Cross and Kmiq, in the next wave, Polo, Vento and Ameo will go and be replaced by the VW Virtus, a sole small sedan based on MQB-A0-IN platform. Skoda will have an equivalent to replace the Rapid. The cars will be larger and more spacious than the Vento at 4400+ mm long with a wheelbase 100 longer than the Vento - this should free up significant interior space. VW will adopt a similar variant nomenclature to Audi, based more on power and torque rather than the engine size. For instance, the video below details Virtus 200 TSI, which actually has an 1.0 TSI engine making 200 NM of torque.

The group will then entirely get out of the sub-10 lakh price category. They want to be premium players and vacate the small, cheap and cheerful space to Maruti and Hyundai.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 28th November 2019 at 09:02.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 11:09   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen T ROC SUV spied in India along with Skoda Superb,

T-Roc will be showcased at the Auto Expo, but the launch will happen a little later.

Quote:
Expect VW to offer the T-Roc with just a single engine option, a BS6 compliant turbocharged 1.5 litre TSI engine which will shall get mated to a 7-speed DSG dual clutch autobox.
This engine is also likely to debut in other VAG products that will be locally manufactured in India.

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-2020volkswagentrocspiedindiafirst11536x866.jpg

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-2020volkswagentrocspiedindiafirst21536x866.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th November 2019 at 11:19.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 22:15   #50
BHPian

Along with the Arteon, the T ROC is one of Volkswagen's best design efforts as of late. It is pretty attractive, considering that the brand is well known for designing staid looking vehicles(no offense to any VW owners, some of their product designs are timeless- look at the Golf!). Though this being a CBU means that it will be priced way out of reach, and what is basically a Creta sized car will be completing in a 25-30 lakh price point. But that 1.5 TSI is a good engine, considering it is such a small car.
BZ25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 11:16   #51
Senior - BHPian

The TROC looks fabulous to me. It has the right size, good engine options and loaded with latest features. As I was looking at a compact SUV/crossver in the 25 lakhs range, I found there is a big void. The only good option is the Compass but it does not have a good auto as the petrol auto is not exciting (makes more sound than actual progress). So, I feel the VW TROC can easily take that space as it should address all the drawbacks of the Jeep Compass while retaining the good qualities like - ride, handling, build quality etc. People looking to upgrade from C2 segment sedans (City, Verna, Vento, Rapid) and crossovers (Creta) don't have much options now. So, there is a segment which is up for grabs and hopefully, the TROC can capitalize on that. It needs to make sure it can distinguish itself from the likes of Kia Seltos through better build, interior quality etc so that people with the budget feel okay paying the 5-7 lakhs premium. On the pricing, I expect it to be priced around 25-28 lakhs on road. TROC is smaller than the Tiguan, plus it will come with 1.5 petrol instead of the 2.0 diesel, and only FWD instead of AWD.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 12:30   #52
Senior - BHPian

I don't think it'll make any sense to price it over 20 lakhs. The size looks similar to the Kia Seltos and VW doesn't have any good reputation among the general public to woo their customers in. Besides, the Kia Seltos is so well appointed in terms of price and features that VW will have to fight real hard. They better get their after sales properly sorted out and ensure that customers are king at every stage. This is honestly their second and only chance of cracking the Indian market. And i wish they do, else it's goodbye VW once and for all.
Old 25th January 2020, 15:48   #53
BHPian

re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Got a call from VW dealer informing that the T-Roc and Tiguan Allspace will be launched in March and they are calling existing VW owners informing the same.

Although he did not have any information on the specs or the possible price which possibly will be revealed in the Auto expo.
rkv_hunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 14:03   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

VW unveils the T ROC for India: Bookings open today!!

- T-Roc will come with a 1.5-litre TSI turbo-petrol engine making 150hp and 250Nm of torque, mated to a 7-speed DSG.

Name:  00.PNG
Views: 4650
Size:  640.3 KB

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-ep_7rxgx0aezeka.jpg

The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-20200205021013_vwtroctop.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th February 2020 at 14:14.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 14:40   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

India-spec Volkswagen T-Roc details revealed

- T-Roc to get equipment like a digital instrument cluster, a panoramic sunroof

-T-Roc in India will be available in a single, full-loaded variant

-full-LED headlamps and tail-lamps, dual-tone alloy wheels, and front and rear parking sensors.

-Inside includes a digital instrument cluster, dual-zone automatic climate control, an 8.0-inch touchscreen and Vienna leather seats

-safety kit includes six airbags, ABS with EBD, ESC, a tyre pressure monitoring system and a parking camera.

Quote:
The T-Roc for India will get a 1.5-litre, four-cylinder, turbo-petrol engine that produces 150hp and 340Nm of torque and is mated to a 7-speed, dual-clutch automatic transmission as standard.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th February 2020 at 14:43.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 22:16   #56
BHPian

I love the looks of the T-Roc but find it dimensionally smaller in Length and Height by atleast 50 to 60mm in both directions.

Right now the size of 4234 x 1819 x 1573 is in no man's land making the car the smallest of it's kind at the intended price point of 18-20L.
reppy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 06:37   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
I love the looks of the T-Roc but find it dimensionally smaller in Length and Height by atleast 50 to 60mm in both directions.

Right now the size of 4234 x 1819 x 1573 is in no man's land making the car the smallest of it's kind at the intended price point of 18-20L.
While I initially liked the looks, I'll go out on a limb here and say that the T-Roc lacks flair, is too understated compared to it's competition, and could end up looking dated relatively quickly.

I hope I am wrong though.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 12:47   #58
BHPian

Volkswagen has officially put it up on their website with bookings open, being a CBU it could be the same story as the the Polo GTI, about 22 to 25 lakhs ex showroom.

https://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/models/t-roc.html
Old 11th February 2020, 13:31   #59
BHPian

VW Rep called me for booking the T-Roc. I asked him if there was a car available for test drive or even to look at...to which he replied they haven't got one. I asked him about the variants, features, price points and expected OTR for Bombay... he didn't have that info as well. Finally I asked him, how does he suppose I will book the car without getting any info about it? He had no answer... I hung up.

I know he is doing his job, but I don't understand VW's strategy. Why wouldn't you arm your sales people with info that will entice people to go ahead with booking. They are just relying on hype created at the launch event and expect people to blindly book a vehicle that would probably cost above 20L!!!. I am sure many will do, but even though I am in market for a crossover and I drive a Vento, I wouldn't.
click is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 15:45   #60
BHPian

Though T-Roc is going to compete Compass. Will be surprised being a CBU it can contain in the 20-25 L price bracket.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks