Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2019, 09:43   #841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post
Another crazy question... is it technically possible to have an after-market re-map to make the DCT more aggressive?
It is only a matter of time before all reputed tuners come up with a remap for the Venue.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 11:11   #842
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisrujan View Post
Looking at the SX# AT variant, apart from the missing equipment and lack of space that we listed down as weaknesses, in the driving department, the only weakness seems to be the lag lower down.

Several early owners (congratulations!) who have been driving the 1.0 DCT have said that you learn to live with the lag by remapping how your brain sends signals to your right foot. Is that right, or do we have any owners here who keep getting annoyed with the delayed downshift?

Can Hyundai potentially push an ECU update in the near future that makes the DCT downshift a little more aggressively? I don't think it would affect real-world mileage so drastically (we'd be lucky to get 9-10 kmpl in the city anyways) because the only difference is that we'd spend a couple of seconds more on the 1st or 2nd gear instead of the 3rd. We're probably burning that additional fuel trying to open the throttle in the RPM range where the engine suffers lag.

Another crazy question... is it technically possible to have an after-market re-map to make the DCT more aggressive?

My thoughts on your questions.
  • Yes, you will easily get used to managing the lag. I drive the VW TSI DSG and when I did a TD of the Venue, I instantly was able to adapt. So the extent of the lag I felt was much less than what some of the other members have reported here.
  • It is a Turbo Petrol, so I assume a remap should be doable- either by Hyundai( which I doubt they will do) or via after market.
  • Having said that, the lack of a sports mode will make highway driving boring and a little more work. Even with the tsi dsg ( which I still think is a superior combo to the one in Venue) I rarely drive in D in any kind of highways. Without the Sports mode, even the famed tsi dsg would have been ordinary on the highways.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 22:09   #843

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img_20190629_214643.jpg

Took delivery of my Venue 1.0 GDI SX. I was initially in the market for an automatic and had a budget of max 11 lacs. Will probably share a separate post on why I chose Venue over the other options. I'd initially booked the S DCT model but later realized that I would be getting quite a 'bland' car even after paying 11 lacs,so changed my preference to SX manual.

Quick first impressions :

-Quality of interiors is pretty impressive
-Turbo lag isn't as pronounced as I had expected it to be, going by the reviews I had seen. It's perhaps so in the DCT.
-Extremely manoeuvrable in the city, thanks to thin A pillars and slick gear shifts
-Clutch is a bit hard for my liking
-The infotainment system is quite responsive; miles vegger than the one in Nexon. Haven't experienced the Sync3, so can't comment
-The engine is pretty silent on idle / ignition; got deceived a couple of times and almost cranked the car
-I know space has been a point that's not been in Venue's favour but mine is a small family so that won't be a concern
-Ride position is satisfactory

What I got trading in the Auto for manual at the same price?(key features)
Those beautiful alloys
Sunroof(small, but still)
Auto AC
Cruise control
Touchscreen infotainment
Adjustable headrests
Cruise control

Happy with my decision so far; a passerby stopped me and enquired how much I paid for the car. Learnt that he took delivery of the Amaze today and paid upwards of 10 lacs, didn't seem to be too pleased.

Shall share more details as I get to spend more time with her.

P. S.
Recently moved to Chennai; look forward to get to know Chennai's BHPians
PieBull76 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 23:40   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_7 View Post
Same case here. Cancelled on June 5th. Had given bank account number and IFSC code for online refund. Still no sign of refund after many follow-ups. Dealer is MCP Hyundai, Kunnamkulam.
Finally got the refund 3 weeks after the cancellation request. Dealer issued an account payee cheque and the full amount was credited in two days.
knightrider_7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 08:43   #845
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What better way to understand a car for a Team-BHP Review, than to take it along on a 500-km road trip.

The all-rounded nature of today's Hyundais really impresses and this one has no real deal breaker. The diesel is quick enough, interior quality is good, ride quality compliant and the ergonomics / driving position spot on. The Venue is a mini-Creta in many ways and I totally see those who can't afford a Creta going for this one. It'll also take away Elite i20 customers. The refinement & experience are very satisfying.

Main thing that'll work against this car is that it feels more like a raised hatchback than a Compact SUV, that the rear seat is tighter than some competitors and other factors like the all-black cabin (which makes the cabin feel even smaller than it actually is). I think Hyundai is well aware of the car's lack of presence - that's why they gave it such an aggressive front-end. I parked it next to an EcoSport and the two are almost the same size, but the EcoSport has stronger presence due to the funky front-end and spare wheel on the tailgate (easiest way into the SUV club).

Cars like this, the XUV300, Nexon etc. have moved the game forward. If the Vitara Brezza is the king of the segment, that's more because of Maruti's sales & marketing machine than the product itself. In a comparison of all the compact SUVs in the market, I'd place the Vitara Brezza at the very bottom. It is outclassed by the newer arrivals.

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-20190629-12.40.46.jpg

Quite clean on a wet ghat. Hyundais might not be the last word in corner carving, but they are no longer "boats" either. The dynamics are sorted. I'm not one of those guys who fantasizes about "fun to drive" cars all the time; I even have fun in regular cars on such roads (as long as its not a Xylo or something):
Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-20190629-11.47.53.jpg
GTO is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 08:50   #846
BHPian

@GTO, did you drive the petrol AT? Also, can you elaborate little more on the ride and handling?
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 14:23   #847
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Main thing that'll work against this car is that it feels more like a raised hatchback than a Compact SUV
See what I meant? Luckily, there was an empty spot next to a Vitara Brezza in the hotel parking lot.

From the rear, the Venue looks tamer / smaller / softer than the already-tame Vitara Brezza! Such a sloping roof was probably not a good idea on a Compact SUV:
Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-20190630-14.00.02.jpg

Walk to the front however and it redeems itself. Very aggressive and in-your-face:
Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-20190630-14.01.10.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
@GTO, did you drive the petrol AT?
Nope. I believe that's happening in the coming week.

Quote:
Also, can you elaborate little more on the ride and handling?
"Neutral" is the best way to describe it. No owner will complain.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 14:39   #848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
See what I meant? Luckily, there was an empty spot next to a Vitara Brezza in the hotel parking lot.

From the rear, the Venue looks tamer / smaller / softer than the already-tame Vitara Brezza! Such a sloping roof was probably not a good idea on a Compact SUV:
Purely from a looks perspective, the Vitara Brezza is the most butch and boxy looking compact SUV from all angles.
NFS2024 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 21:18   #849
Distinguished - BHPian

Video: Hyundai Venue (1L DCT) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Likes;

- Pricing (At INR 6.5L, Starts much cheaper than its prime competitor the Vitara Brezza)
- Engine / Gearbox Combo (Specially the 1L T + DCT & the fact there are so many other variants on offer)
- Ride Quality (Thanks to the Suspension & Tyre Size)
- Features (Many Segment 1st features)

Dislikes;

- Space (Particularly the rear seats are cramped)
- Top Variant is priced too steeply​ (Also, the price difference between the S & SX Automatics is too much​)​​
- Hyundai Missed out giving an 4x4/AWD variant, would have been an interesting little car this out on a wild trail.
- Paddle Shifters missing (After giving so many 'connected' and millennial friendly features, Hyundai should have provided paddle shifters for the enthusiasts)

The video starts off with an discussion on Hyundai's new 1L Turbo offering, KYOTO Protocol & why Hyundai thinks bigger isn't necessarily better;

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-screen-shot-20190630-8.59.17-pm.png

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-screen-shot-20190630-8.58.11-pm.png

A quick SWOT Analysis to discuss the Venue's Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities & Threats;

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-screen-shot-20190630-8.55.33-pm.png

Other Key Observations;

- Engine sounds like a 3 cyl after the mid rpm range.
- 215/60 R16 tyres make the car feel solid, non surprisingly the Nexon, Vitara Brezza too wear the same size of tyres.
- Horn sounded very cheap, disappointed.
- Interior Quality is overall good (like most Hyundai's), driving position is good too & with a view of the almost flat bonnet.
- Touch Screen, Navigation etc works well, but the screen deserved to have been integrated onto the dashboard better
- On road presence is great thanks to the aggressive front, however from the rear its much more subtle.
- The suspension is good, but it seems its more prepared to deliver on ride quality than handling.
- Rear Wiper omitted, Why ?
- Steering is a joy to use in the city, but not the best at high speeds.
- Let's be clear this is not an SUV, but a Crossover.

Conclusion;

The price difference between the S & SX Automatics is too much & the top model shouldn't have been so expensive. Also Space at the back is a constraint so if you have a big family of 5 adults this cannot be the answer to having the only car in the family, this can be the 2nd or the 3rd car.
However for college goers, couples or smaller families like you, your wife and a kid, this may be just the right package. for you.

Last edited by karan561 : 30th June 2019 at 21:41.
karan561 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 22:14   #850
BHPian

Re: Video: Hyundai Venue (1L DCT) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Very good review of the Venue.
That back seat looks cramped for tall passengers.
Would you be doing a video comparison of the Venue vs the Ecosport.
That would clear a lot of doubts in the minds of future owners of either car.

Eagerly waiting for your review of the MG Hector and the Kia Seltos when it is launched.
Ithaca is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 11:23   #851
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Video: Hyundai Venue (1L DCT) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Very good review of the Venue.
Thanks Ithaca

Quote:
That back seat looks cramped for tall passengers.
Yes, even the front seats look small for me, look at this pic;

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-screen-shot-20190630-8.59.17-pm.jpeg

^ Just look where my shoulder & the headrest is :/

Quote:
Would you be doing a video comparison of the Venue vs the Ecosport.
That would clear a lot of doubts in the minds of future owners of either car.
May be not !

Quote:
Eagerly waiting for your review of the MG Hector and the Kia Seltos when it is launched.
I'l try my best to do the same, Thanks

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th July 2019 at 15:28. Reason: Resizing embedded image
karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 16:04   #852
BHPian

Just took a drive in the 1.4D Venue 6speed MT and was pleasantly surprised with how good it felt. The engine is nice and refined, and has a linear torque curve that pulls without fuss to about 4K+. It does have some lag, but it wasn't An issue. The clutch was light, and the shifts were nice and positive and significantly better than the XUV300.

Interiors, are classy and understated, and much nicer than the competition mentioned above according to me.

The two flies in the ointment is the rear legroom which is only slightly better than my first generation Swift (SUV has more room), and the playstation light steering.

Bottom line is the Hyundai felt nicer to drive than the Mahindra.
keroo1099 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 22:35   #853
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have a concern and seek your opinion on that. One of my friends in Delhi booked 1.4D SX(O) in Denim Blue colour in May end. He was given 6-8 weeks waiting period on paper but SA assured that vehicle will be delivered within 4 weeks.

As usually expected, the vehicle was nowhere to be seen by end of 4 weeks. On strong follow up, the SA informed that there's some production issue at Hyundai and 2 colours are affected (Denim Blue and Deep Forest), so delivery will be delayed till first week of August.

On further insistence, he shared the screenshot of an email received from Hyundai. The email states :

This is to inform you all that due to high demand in Denim Blue (TN6) and Deep Forest (RWP) colors in Venue, there is production constraint in these colors and the production of these colors will start only after 22nd of Jul'19.

Now, the underlined portions of this statement are not adding up. If there is high demand of these colours, why not ramp up the production, why wait till 22 Jul. Has Hyundai run out of paint stock ?

Also, I may understand about the Deep Forest shade, but Denim Blue was their primary shade in marketing. Now, if they didn't predict that demand for it will be high/highest, then I fail to understand their planning.

More so, Hyundai saw a dip of 7% in retail sales in June 2019, and it was significantly lower than their peak monthly production, so what they are doing with their production capacity.

Even if they are exporting Venue, why not manufacture more for domestic market in shades which are in high demand.

If anyone has information on this, please share.

Hyundai Venue : Official Preview. EDIT: Launched @ 6.5 lakhs-img20190704wa0019.jpg

Last edited by AutoNoob : 4th July 2019 at 22:47.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 23:14   #854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post

This is to inform you all that due to high demand in Denim Blue (TN6) and Deep Forest (RWP) colors in Venue, there is production constraint in these colors and the production of these colors will start only after 22nd of Jul'19.
Can your friend check with other dealers in NCR region about the authenticity of the email and the delay for the specific model and colour?

If the issue is genuine it may show up at other dealers as well.

AutoNoob, how about in your city?

Regards
Nikhil
Old 4th July 2019, 23:33   #855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
Can your friend check with other dealers in NCR region about the authenticity of the email and the delay for the specific model and colour?

If the issue is genuine it may show up at other dealers as well.
I received information few hours back only, will surely ask him to check with other dealers. Thanks for the suggestion.
Quote:
AutoNoob, how about in your city?
I'll be checking in my city on weekend with atleast couple of dealers.

But frankly, whether this turns out to be true or false, I'll be baffled. Auto market is down and here's a customer eager to buy, but OEM/ dealer messed up and not able to deliver. I am sure, after this euphoria is over, same guys will be calling him up to buy/ refer a vehicle that too with discounts.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 4th July 2019 at 23:35.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks