Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2021, 20:23   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Citroen C3 budget crossover for India

Citroen's CUV will arrive only in Q1 2022.

Citroen C3 budget crossover for India-flagranovocitroenc3202311.jpg

Citroen C3 budget crossover for India-flagranovocitroenc3202313.jpg

Citroen C3 budget crossover for India-flagranovocitroenc3202312.jpg

Citroen C3 budget crossover for India-flagranovocitroenc320238.jpg

Citroen C3 budget crossover for India-flagranovocitroenc320232.jpg

Link
Old 26th August 2021, 08:30   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Citroen C3 for India , launch likely in April 2022. Will get the 1.2l turbo petrol from PSA.

Quote:
the new Citroën C3 on September 16, when it will be unveiled in India, one of the markets in the sights of the model.
There, it will be an inbound car, fighting with other subcompact SUVs like Nissan Magnite and Renault Kiger. However, you will receive the 1.2 turbo engine, with manual or automated dual-clutch DCT gearbox

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 17:45   #93

Saw one Citroen MPV and Compact SUV without any camouflage on the Shimla Solan highway today. Couldn't take pictures as they both were going the other way.

Citroen must be planning to launch these two vehicles soon I guess.
Old 5th September 2021, 14:49   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

The Peugeot (1008 )version of the low cost C3:

Quote:
And, based on that model, there will also be a variant with the Peugeot aesthetic : it will be the new 1008 , also known as Project 44 . The French magazine L'Argus confirmed that this new model will be produced in so-called “emerging markets” , with production plants assigned in China , India and Brazil .
Citroen C3 budget crossover for India-15ba4452ec4440ff819611df139550e0.jpg

Citroen C3 budget crossover for India-15a6cf31d0404b6ea891ed7a75f69da4.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 09:19   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The Peugeot (1008 )version of the low cost C3:

Attachment 2202479

Attachment 2202478

Link
I'd honestly much rather have this than the Citroen. Peugeot's design language is far more appealing - inside and out.
Old 13th September 2021, 21:26   #96
Senior - BHPian

Citroën's new subcompact SUV (CC21) to make its world debut on the Thursday (September 16)? Am I reading this wrong or is no one interested at all? It doesn't seem to be in the news much as compared to, say, the MG Astor. In fact, it's hardly in the news at all. Have I missed a newer thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Quote:
the new Citroën C3 on September 16, when it will be unveiled in India, one of the markets in the sights of the model.
Another source

I wonder what segment exactly Citroën intends to compete in (it looks very mixed what with the grab type door handles and the fender-mounted turn signals). I will be very interested in safety ratings for this model. Reports state it will get 'multiple airbags' but I hope that means more than 2. I can't find anything about ESC.

Citroën's positioning is also quite confusing. On one hand they have a D-segment crossover that's more expensive than competition and on the other they have a supposedly very affordable car. I wonder how that's going to play out. It's neither top-down like VW nor the other way round like Hyundai.

I'm a bit confused here, any other manufacturer would be actively updating its social media handles about the unveil asking people to tune in - why are Citroën's handles completely silent? Should I be doubting the credibility of my source?

I'm really at a dead end here and can hardly find anything about the launch - does anyone have any more information?

Last edited by ron178 : 13th September 2021 at 21:52.
Old 14th September 2021, 17:26   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
any other manufacturer would be actively updating its social media handles about the unveil asking people to tune in - why are Citroën's handles completely silent?
Citroën has confirmed that the global reveal will be on the 16th.
Name:  Screenshot 20210914 at 5.25.31 PM.png
Views: 1081
Size:  99.5 KB
ron178 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 20:04   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Uncovering the shaded area, Citroen Compact SUV:

Citroen C3 budget crossover for India-c3_10.jpg

And the look of the CUV that we know:

The New C3 will have two sets of LEDs, one in the headlamps and one just above it in the steering repeaters and daytime running lights. This LED signature is accompanied by the double chevron chrome and integrated into the optical assembly.
The bumper will have a wide grille with the bottom molding a metalized skid plat, as well as different tinted moldings surrounding the fog lamps.

Citroen C3 budget crossover for India-c315-1.jpg

Quote:
Stellantis expects to sell 70,000 units/ year of the new generation Citroën C3, which hits stores in December(sales target for Brazil, Argentina and other South American markets)
The new C3 2022 is intended for emerging markets, so much so that its development includes French, Indian and Brazilian engineering.

Link

Link1

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th September 2021 at 20:19.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 10:18   #99
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Insider data on the Citroen C3 Budget SUV for India

Citroen is set to unveil the C3 SUV for the Indian market on September 16, 2021. We can now share some more details of this budget offering from the French brand.

Citroen C3 budget crossover for India-242070162_153447586944374_4411519092403788263_n.jpg

Note that 'budget' is the keyword here. Citroen is said to position its compact SUV below the upcoming Tata Punch. The carmaker will be focusing on affordability over features or performance. This means that Citroen will try to emulate what Renault did with the Kwid a decade ago.

The C3 is likely to be offered in two variants. Even the top variant is said to be spartan in terms of features. The car that will be showcased on September 16 will be kitted out with accessories like fog lamps, alloy wheels, plastic cladding, interior improvements and chrome garnish. Most of these won't be standard, even on the top variant.

Safety won't a be talking point either. Crash safety is expected to be average. It is likely to receive a 2-star rating from NCAP.

Coming to the powertrain options, the Citroen C3 will be offered with two petrol engine options. These include a 1.2-litre naturally aspirated unit producing 81 BHP and a 1.2-litre turbo-petrol motor with a peak output of 108 BHP.

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 15th September 2021 at 10:20.
TusharK is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 10:40   #100
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Insider data on the Citroen C3 Budget SUV for India

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Safety won't a be talking point either. Crash safety is expected to be average. It is likely to receive a 2-star rating from NCAP.
Not unexpected, but definitely not what I wanted to hear. Citroën should remember that it's competing in a segment that isn't completely devoid of safer options (well, hopefully, depending on how the Tata Punch and Renault Kiger turn out in crash tests). Now, since this car is supposed to be sold in Latin America too, I don't know whether they mean 2 stars in the Latin NCAP. In that case, we would still have no idea what the rating under SaferCarsForIndia will be.

My point is - it's based on the CMP platform, which has produced some reasonably safe cars in the past (although Groupe PSA does lag behind others a bit in general - they readily accept 4 star EuroNCAP results in Europe while others strive for the full five). Given this, Citroën should have engineered it for at least three stars, which (in my opinion) is a reasonable rating, especially considering it takes just one ODB test to get there. I'm not saying 2 stars are terrible, it's above regulatory standards and still better than a zero, but Citroën should realise it simply does not have the brand appeal or recognition that other new players have, and cannot get away with selling substandard cars in India. People see right through it when not-too-well-known foreign companies sell highly watered down localised products in India. Look how much time Renault has taken to earn our trust (somewhat) after the Kwid's crash tests.

All said and done, this is insider information and cannot be trusted completely until Citroën officially claims something. A good thing is that unlike manufacturers who dismiss NCAPs (read Maruti-Suzuki and Hyundai) or ones who actually go so far as to hide any tweet replies from consumers asking for NCAP results (MG), Citroën is actively replying to people asking for NCAP ratings with:
Name:  Screenshot 20210915 at 10.38.25 AM.png
Views: 1081
Size:  37.9 KB

Still, the news is pretty unsettling regardless of how far it is true.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
and a 1.2-litre turbo-petrol motor with a peak output of 108 BHP.
If Citroën can afford to sell a 108hp turbo engine they surely can afford to spend a little more on safety R&D, can't they? Thankfully, news outlets are reporting the availability of multiple airbags (hopefully that means >2). Considering the lack of side impact protection in this segment (especially after Ford left) I hope it gets curtain airbags too (in addition to torso airbags).

A reminder to Citroën that despite popular foreign opinion, cheap does not sell in India, value does. This value can be in many different areas (safety, fuel economy, design, equipment). But no car will sell anymore just because it's affordable. Just ask Datsun or GM.

Last edited by ron178 : 15th September 2021 at 10:59.
ron178 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 10:41   #101
BHPian

Low price, decent kit and poor safety. Are they taking lessons from our "market leader"?

If safety really isn't a priority for them, I am disappointed. I thought they will be making quality cars. If they are trying to undercut the competition then it's possible that even the interior materials won't feel good. If all that I read is true, they are definitely going the Maruti way. But yes, let's see. Waiting for the event tomorrow.

Last edited by udaikalra01 : 15th September 2021 at 10:43.
udaikalra01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 10:47   #102
DVK
BHPian

With this bit of news coming out, I wonder if this will end up becoming more like Datsun with their models rather than like Renault with their Kwid. Add to that, with the limited coverage and public response that the C5 got, I think it would be more like the former than latter.

Extreme "spartanism" is a bit difficult to digest. They should remember that this end of the market looks for value rather than utility. It is the reason why the Etios twins were valued by cabbies more than the private buyers.
Interesting times ahead nonetheless.
Old 15th September 2021, 10:51   #103
BHPian

What’s the point in launching such a spartan vehicle? Is Citroen following Datsun? I feel this has everything wrong on paper atleast. Spartan vehicle with no gizmos in 2021, mediocre performance, and a tiny dealership network. Lets not forget this car is being positioned below the Tata Punch, and is expected to have a safety rating of 2 stars whereas the Punch is expected to have a safety rating of 5 stars.

I dont find a USP in this launch.

Might be a case of fait et dépoussiéré(done and dusted in French) within months. Also, would love to see trolls in French from Tata.
saikishor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 11:19   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
A reminder to Citroën that despite popular foreign opinion, cheap does not sell in India, value does.
Bang on! Cheap positioning has never done good to any product. The popular opinion that Indians like cheap car is false, one of the major reason why the nano failed. Indians prefer cost effective VFM products and Citroen needs to understand that it can't just replicate Maruti budget car formula and expect the C3 to sell.

The small car (micro SUV included) space is very very competitive, each manufacturer is offering a USP which is what is selling their products. Maruti has built a reputation of reliability over decades, Tata is doing fairly well because of the safety aspect and Hyundai is providing a lot of gizmos. I guess Citroen indian management burned their fingers with the exorbitant pricing of C5 aircross and now are under the impression that cheap price positioning would solve their problems.

The mass market isn't even aware about the brand Citroen. Instead of doing this, they should've aimed for the sub premium segments with competitive pricing. That way they could've grabbed some of the market share of VAG (the diesels would have given Citroen an advantage).

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 15th September 2021 at 11:21.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 11:41   #105
Senior - BHPian

Going by the OPs post, If I understood this correctly, It seems Citroen has decided to change its mind from the current 'premium' overpriced Skoda model of the C5 to the super cheap volume seller route?

This is an interesting U-Turn. I guess they misjudged even the low volumes they thought they would get with earlier business model, or their brand equity to begin with.
It is fair to expect a lower tier car but the renault kwid level, as mentioned, is quite surprising given the erosion of brand image that will come with it.

Ah well best of luck to them..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks