Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2021, 19:57   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

re: India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian

Jeep Commander sees success in Brazil:

Jeep Commander already has 7,000 units sold in pre-sale.

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-1.jpg

Quote:
After surprising the market by selling 2,800 units in just 6 hours of supply, the Jeep Commander 2022 again draws attention with the record of another expressive result:
7,000 copies sold in just 15 days.

The figures refer to the pre-sale, which began on August 26 and has since exceeded all expectations. The brand says it will continue accepting reservations until the first week of October

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 10:15   #227
BHPian

With Ford exit and endeavour out of equation Jeep has got lot of breathing ground to price this on higher side. It was anyway expected to be position at premium pricing.

How much premium? Space left by endeavour is the one to occupy. Just like Toyota even Jeep has got fan following and loyal customer base.

Don’t want Toyota fortuner then what else would be obvious choice going forward?
CircleOfLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 16:37   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Don’t want Toyota fortuner then what else would be obvious choice going forward?
You have the lovely (upcoming) Kodiaq, if yours isn’t a rhetorical Q
Old 12th September 2021, 17:54   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
You have the lovely (upcoming) Kodiaq, if yours isn’t a rhetorical Q
Yes but it’s still few more months away and Q1 of 2022 with petrol only guide. Will have a limited unit's and won’t be one that will challenge the segment leader. Fingers crossed Skoda prices this sensibly (reference to Octavia pricing).

It would still be a imported CKD or CBU unlike fortuner, endeavour or the commander which are or going to be locally manufactured.

Preference of diesel option in segment both fortuner and upcoming commander will have the large pie.
CircleOfLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 18:54   #230
BHPian

Does Jeep have an RHD Commander yet? Should imports a few units to take full advantage of the void left by Endeavor. Will have to price it like a local manufactured one rather than CBU but Jeep isn’t known for sensible pricing …
Old 29th September 2021, 11:48   #231
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Meridian spotted testing in Pune.

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-smartselect_20210929114658_instagram.jpg

Name:  SmartSelect_20210929114842_Instagram.gif
Views: 817
Size:  4.66 MB

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 29th September 2021 at 11:49.
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 08:47   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep Commander prices increased in Brazil up to R $ 8 thousand (~ ₹ 1.1 lakhs) even for those who made reservations.

Quote:
with increases between R $ 6 thousand and R $ 8 thousand. A statement sent to dealers circulates on social networks, revealing not only the new table of values, but also bad news for those who made the car reservation: the increase in prices will be retroactive for customers who have ordered the car since August 31
Quote:
The increases are up to 3% for the entire line of jeep commander 2022, which in practice is more R $ 6,000 in limited versions and R $ 8,000 in Overland. With this, the 7-seater SUV will have a starting price of R$ 205,990 in the Limited configuration with the 1.3 turboflex of 185 hp, while Overland will cost R$ 227,990. Prefer the utility with the 170 hp turbodiesel engine 2.0 and 4x4 traction? So get ready to pay $265,990 in the Limited version, or $287,990 in the Overland variant.

Link
Old 8th October 2021, 09:24   #233
Senior - BHPian

India production for the Jeep Meridian is likely to begin by April 2022, with a launch likely by July.

Name:  20211007115745_Jeep_Meridian.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  135.7 KB

Quote:
Stellantis India's CEO and MD Roland Bouchara has confirmed that the model's launch is on track. "With Jeep, we are going to launch a key UV [utility vehicle] model next year,"
Quote:
In India, the Meridian will get the Compass' 2.0-litre diesel engine, albeit with power uprated from the current 173hp to around 200hp. The Meridian is also expected get a 48V mild-hybrid system. Transmission duties will be handled by a 9-speed automatic, with power being sent to all four wheels
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 8th October 2021 at 09:30.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 12:15   #234
Team-BHP Support

Holy moly!! ACI reports a price range of 35 - 50L!!. I hope to god ACI is wrong on this one (image below from their October 2022 issue).

I was hoping it’ll retail at under 44L (on road) or so for the top of the line version, based on the fact that the Compass is at 34.xx on road for the S - AT.

I just hoped they’ve randomly stretched their guesstimates to not be off the mark - can’t see this car occupying a 15 lakh price range, even accounting for two engines, two trannies and two trims per engine.

EDIT: The top of line 4x4 Legender Fortuner retails at about 51L in Bbay. In my view, Jeep, even if it sees itself as a Fortuner equivalent competitor will have to ensure it sits in at least 5 - 6L below the big Ts price point. Else it may see itself being brutally punished in this market. Hope better sense prevails on pricing.
Attached Thumbnails
India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-fa3f8e2dd8294440a15e9d629bf2abf8.jpeg  

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th October 2021 at 12:31.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 13:30   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
In my view, Jeep, even if it sees itself as a Fortuner equivalent competitor will have to ensure it sits in at least 5 - 6L below the big Ts price point
Jeep India has always positioned - or rather tried to position - themselves as a "premium" brand here. This has reflected in their pricing right from their debut into the Indian car market - remember Wrangler's and Grand Cherokee's pricing at launch? This was extended to Compass as well and I won't be surprised if the Meridian is priced ambitiously too. From what I understand, they have never been after volumes. They would price it at par with the Fortuner and be happy selling ~500 units of the Meridian per month, which I feel is not a bad strategy because the moment it is priced significantly below the Fortuner, it will be perceived as a "lower segment" product in our market. Moreover, with Endeavour gone, Meridian has an excellent opportunity to present itself as a feasible alternative to the Fortuner, for folks who consider the latter to be overpriced.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 13:53   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Jeep India has always positioned -.
I agree with everything you’ve said. It’s just that in my mind most of it is already accounted for in a 45L price tag.
Old 13th October 2021, 14:00   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Holy moly!! ACI reports a price range of 35 - 50L!!. I hope to god ACI is wrong on this one.
Had a chat with a Jeep SA recently. According to him the top end Meridian will most likely be 42-43L OTR Bengaluru. Which I'm guessing is +/- 15-20 thousand in Mumbai. He added that there will be only one engine (Diesel) and only two trim levels. Entry level model would be priced 2-3 L above the top-end variant of the Compass.
Babruvahanaaaaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 15:03   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Jeep India has always positioned - or rather tried to position - themselves as a "premium" brand here. This has reflected in their pricing right from their debut into the Indian car market - remember Wrangler's and Grand Cherokee's pricing at launch? This was extended to Compass as well and I won't be surprised if the Meridian is priced ambitiously too. From what I understand, they have never been after volumes. They would price it at par with the Fortuner and be happy selling ~500 units of the Meridian per month, which I feel is not a bad strategy because the moment it is priced significantly below the Fortuner, it will be perceived as a "lower segment" product in our market. Moreover, with Endeavour gone, Meridian has an excellent opportunity to present itself as a feasible alternative to the Fortuner, for folks who consider the latter to be overpriced.
I have a feeling it will be priced 1-3lacs cheaper than the fortuner. Even at the same price I'd take it over the fortuner simply because it has an interior that belongs in a 30l+ car.
sid3091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 15:03   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babruvahanaaaaa View Post
Had a chat with a Jeep SA recently. According to him the top end Meridian will most likely be 42-43L OTR Bengaluru
This translates to about INR 34 lac ex-showroom, which is about 5 lac above the top end Compass. If true, then it has high chances of clocking some good numbers
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 15:26   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They would price it at par with the Fortuner and be happy selling ~500 units of the Meridian per month, which I feel is not a bad strategy because the moment it is priced significantly below the Fortuner, it will be perceived as a "lower segment" product in our market. Moreover, with Endeavour gone, Meridian has an excellent opportunity to present itself as a feasible alternative to the Fortuner, for folks who consider the latter to be overpriced.
Depends on their packaging, it may as well look Fortuner reasonably priced for what it offers. From the videos and pictures it is as practical as something like a Kodiak or Tiguan Allspace - not all that much.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks