Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2022, 15:34   #271
BHPian

re: India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian

Commander, with good seating position and space for 5/7, 200hp diesel engine, 4*4 and prices starting from 40L ONR will be a winner killer for sure.
Old 11th January 2022, 15:51   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Commander, with good seating position and space for 5/7, 200hp diesel engine, 4*4 and prices starting from 40L ONR will be a winner killer for sure.
I don't think the dream of 40L on-road pricing will materialize. Considering Compass 4x4 AT S is already 37L on road, there is very little chance of the Commander being 40L on road. I think it will be placed on similar lines with Kodiaq at about 45L on road. The Commander should do a lot better than Kodiaq in the market even at that price point because of the diesel engine and Jeep brand's SUV status.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th January 2022 at 16:02. Reason: A word
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 15:58   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I don't think the dream of 40L on-road pricing will materialize. Considering Compass 4x4 AT S is already 37L on road, there is very little chance of the Commander being 40L on road. I think it will be placed on similar lines with Kodiaq at about 45L on road. The commander should do a lot better than Kodiaq in the market even at that price point because of the diesel engine and Jeep brand's SUV status.
I mentioned as starting price 40L ONR for 2WD and probably 43-44L for the 4WD. Well, in India, Skoda is still a better brand compared to Jeep in terms of multiple factors. So pricing it on par with Skoda may be a deterrent to Commander.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 11th January 2022 at 16:02.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 17:10   #274
BHPian

Will this finally be the car that will make all the politicians and babus think twice before getting into the big-T showroom to drop the booking cheque? My opinion - while I don't think it will pip the fortuner to the number 1 spot in the segment sales, I strongly believe this can do a "Tiago" in the segment. The Tiago came in and has created a sizeable space for itself. While it hasn't beat the swift to the number 1 spot, it is in no way an "also-ran". The Tiago has sort of become a usual shortlist-eable car for prospective buyers looking for a good hatch, just like a swift always finds its way into a buyer's list initially. Jeep, while not really a premium brand abroad, enjoys considerable brand image in India. The Compass is a status symbol like how the City was a status symbol some time ago. That coupled with the fact that the image of Jeep here is entirely associated with butch SUVs, I think the Commander can claw a considerable portion in the segment towards itself.

I think this will do much better than all the current competition the Fortuner has - an almost dead old Isuzu, the Gloster and Alturas which still exist in the segment for reasons I don't know. Infact, I'll go a step further and say, I think this will do better than the Endeavour itself, which was the only legitimate competitor to the fortuner over the years, until Ford called it quits.

Last edited by SaiSW : 11th January 2022 at 17:16.
SaiSW is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 17:20   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
I think this will do much better than all the current competition the Fortuner has - an almost dead old Isuzu, the gloster and alturas which still exist in the segment for reasons I don't know. Infact, I'll go a step further and say, I think this will do better than the Endeavour itself, which was the only legitimate competitor to the fortuner over the years.
I don't think the Meridian would be able to do 600-800 units a month which the Endeavour used to do, even the Diesel Kodiaq when it was available didn't touch these figures. The Meridian will create it's own niche, like all others. The Fortuner will still continue unfazed by the others like it has been doing, even before the Endeavour left.

The Endeavour has left a void of 800 units a month which no one has taken up among the competitors Fortuner, Gloster or Alturas. That's the void which cars like the Kodiaq, Meridian, Tucson, C5 Aircross and Tiguan are going to fill up, few units out of these 800 must have gone to the 3 big Germans as well.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 11th January 2022 at 17:35. Reason: Wanted to mention Meridian and not the Kodiaq, sorry for the error.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 17:25   #276
Team-BHP Support

I dont think a top of line Commander / Meridian (4x4 diesel Overland presumably) will retail on road at less / much less than Kodiaq L&K price.

What remains to be seen is how close they try to remain to Kodiaq territory or on the flip side how much they try to veer towards Legender pricing.

Fact is they are arguably a more hard core 4x4 system than the Kodiaq, they are probably going to be comparably plush, they have (in their eyes at least) a comparable brand equity to Skoda and they will perceive that they have a leg up because they’re diesel over Škoda’s petrol.

Hopefully they’re going to start conservative before tying themselves in a knot. Its one thing to trump a Creta / Tucson in the Compass segment and quite another taking on big daddy Fortuner.

Last edited by Axe77 : 11th January 2022 at 17:40.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 20:34   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
The Endeavour has left a void of 800 units a month which no one has taken up among the competitors Fortuner, Gloster or Alturas. That's the void which cars like the Kodiaq, Meridian, Tucson, C5 Aircross and Tiguan are going to fill up, few units out of these 800 must have gone to the 3 big Germans as well.
Think the Meridian will take a big chunk of these 800 units. It is a powerful diesel, has 7 seats, and the Jeep brand is far more aspirational and emotional than Hyundai, Skoda, Citroen and VW. There are many Compass owners who bought their cars in 2018-19 waiting to upgrade to this one.

Of course Jeep can always mess up the price and tank up above theory
achyutaghosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 20:45   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I don't think the dream of 40L on-road pricing will materialize. Considering Compass 4x4 AT S is already 37L on road, there is very little chance of the Commander being 40L on road. I think it will be placed on similar lines with Kodiaq at about 45L on road. The commander should do a lot better than Kodiaq in the market even at that price point because of the diesel engine and Jeep brand's SUV status.
The lower trims of the Jeep Commander can be priced below S. Jeep's pricing is actually wide if you see the Compass. They have a Sport Trim which is INR 19 L and S trim which is 29 L(MSRP) for the compass. They also have the manual and auto options which gives Jeep some flexibility. So the lowest variant could come say at INR 30 L ( my wishful thinking, not based on any information) which cant be ruled out.
Old 11th January 2022, 21:39   #279
Team-BHP Support

I have a feeling that with this one, Jeep will initially come out with very few variants, perhaps as few as two or maybe at best three. It is possible that it may only come with the diesel automatics to start with. Just my gut feeling - not based on any info.

Of course it’ll be great if they have a wider range. I’m also more interested in what price the range tops out at instead of what price it starts at. That’s just from a personal perspective as with my interest in automatics only and diesel only, I am more likely to be paying for a higher end diesel auto version than a lower end manual variant. Entry prices are often priced for perception impact while the higher end variants get priced for fat profits.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 22:17   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalitha Venkat View Post
The lower trims of the Jeep Commander can be priced below S. Jeep's pricing is actually wide if you see the Compass. They have a Sport Trim which is INR 19 L and S trim which is 29 L(MSRP) for the compass. They also have the manual and auto options which gives Jeep some flexibility. So the lowest variant could come say at INR 30 L ( my wishful thinking, not based on any information) which cant be ruled out.
It’s unlikely we will see variants of the Meridian (Commander as known in Brazil) below the model S Compass, reason being in most probability the Meridian will not be offered with the option of a manual transmission, as seen in the Brazilian market.

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-ce2244d451fc49caad3e114f0e906f75.jpeg

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-0ce77ee2d45843d49cc0acddbcaaf71d.jpeg

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-ee3b23bf0aef48f1abd759e041603668.jpeg

Will be interesting to see which petrol engine does Jeep offer the Meridian with, the Compass’ 1.4L MultiAir or the new 1.3L available in the international market. The petrol if offered will only be a 2WD like the Compass is, the diesel will get both 2WD and 4WD hopefully.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 11th January 2022 at 22:32.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 22:34   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I have a feeling that with this one, Jeep will initially come out with very few variants, perhaps as few as two or maybe at best three. It is possible that it may only come with the diesel automatics to start with.
I agree with this assessment. Will be evn more likelier if the semiconductor shortage is not sorted out till its launch. The higher variants will rake in the profits as well as build the Meridian sub brand.

So at launch, Limited and S spec equivalent ones to be made available for 34 and 37 lakhs. The differentiation from the standard Compass of course will be bigger size, 2 extra seats, and a more powerful engine with mild hybrid tech, and maybe some more goodies.

I also expect the current 5 seater Compass price band to rise post launch of the Trailhawk, so at 34 ish ex-showroom, the meridian will look terrific value, just as the Kodiaq is looking right now.

Quote:
Will be interesting to see which petrol engine does Jeep offer the Meridian with, the Compass’ 1.4L MultiAir or the new 1.3L available in the international market. The petrol if offered will only be a 2WD like the Compass is, the diesel will get both 2WD and 4WD hopefully.
Do you think the petrol will be coming? I thought most folks are expecting the Meridian to be launched with the diesel only.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th January 2022 at 06:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
achyutaghosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 22:50   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Do you think the petrol will be coming? I thought most folks are expecting the Meridian to be launched with the diesel only.
Jeep doesn’t have much options for the petrol, it’s possible that they won’t offer a petrol at all, but in BS6 times, it’s better to offer a petrol motor as well! Although for a premium segment SUV offering a 1.3L or 1.4L can backfire, people will look away from it just by seeing the cubic capacity of the engine irrespective of the power and torque it’s offering.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 00:37   #283
BHPian

The place where the Meridian may consider taking on the Fortuner is the ride quality and competitive pricing (though highly doubtful with current Compass pricing and expected Trailhawk pricing). I am sure it would be feature loaded as compared to an otherwise barebone Fortuner (at the price it commands). In case they manage to provide better ride quality with decent third row seating and adequate luggage space (with all three rows up), Jeep may create a dent (albeit a small one) on the otherwise Fortuner dominated territory. The lack of competition in that territory (with Endeavour leaving a void) has been a real set-back from a customer's standpoint and it is high time that manufacturers put in some genuine efforts to push Toyota from their comfort zone.
jbpanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 13:26   #284
BHPian

If it is just a "limo" version of Compass, then it will never considered to be a competitor of Fortuner.
To compete with Fortuner, any vehicle should have an imposing bulk.

However, Meridian may make things worse for already stressed C5 aircross.
Old 12th January 2022, 23:30   #285
BANNED

Quote:
It’s unlikely we will see variants of the Meridian (Commander as known in Brazil) below the model S Compass, reason being in most probability the Meridian will not be offered with the option of a manual transmission, as seen in the Brazilian market.

Attachment 2258266

Attachment 2258267

Attachment 2258268

Why do petrol engine never gets 4x4 or AWD, I only see them in above 40L cars. Is there a practical logic behind only Diesel getting 4x4?

Can someone please share some light on this?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks