Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2022, 11:57   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian

^ I must add, what a brilliant video Jeep India has made!
CEF_Beasts is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 12:01   #302
BHPian

That's a wonderful video!
Hoping that the prices won't be way too rude!
msarunms1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 12:34   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msarunms1987 View Post
That's a wonderful video!
Hoping that the prices won't be way too rude!
Rude is subjective. But I see its price rivalling or even exceeding that of Fortuner. With XUV700 AWD, Harrier/Safari (a birdie tells that it may be getting considerations for AWD) and Hector twins already eating a lot into that category, I wonder how long these manufacturers will be able to maintain their assembly lines. Unless they correct the prices, they will end up like Ford/Honda. Fortunately, Toyota had two high profit models till now but that may not be the case 2 year down the line especially if Carnes taste success and Tata/Mahindra come out with similar successful product.
abhijet.sen is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 12:48   #304
Senior - BHPian

The Jeep Meridian captures the essence of India, Jeep Meridian that completed the drive from Kashmir to Kanyakumari, along the Meridian 77-degree east longitude sported a unique camouflage.

The design of the camouflage included some recognisable icons from each state, the India Gate from Delhi, the camel of Rajasthan, the tiger of Madhya Pradesh, the coconut tree of Kerala etc.

Meridian Camouflage

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-fb_img_1644819281887.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 12:50   #305
Senior - BHPian

If you compare the interiors of Jeep Meridian and Toyota Fortuner, you will notice that Fortuner looks like a decade old car. Yet, you charge massive premium in pricing.
Every greedy company has been taught a lesson by Indian buyers. So far Fortuner could manage the premium due to lack of worthy competition. Hope Jeep will price this sensibly undercutting Fortuner by min 2-3Lakhs.

Just look at the pathetic head unit in Honda city. You will understand how these Japanese OEMs are missing the changing customer aspirations. A high school kid will design a better one.
poloman is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 14:13   #306
BHPian

Well said and well put marketing ad by Jeep for Jeep India and especially of India.
Kudos to the team!

And "Made in India" - should we expect a very aggressive price (40L ONR for the top end 4*4)? And I Hope Jeep keeps it to the T.
Old 14th February 2022, 15:22   #307
Senior - BHPian

Very nice video by Jeep.

Guess its the camouflage or pictures, it looks too long for my liking. But will be more practical with additional space. Hope it drives same as Compass too.

Cant wait for the camouflage to go off
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 15:28   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
And "Made in India" - should we expect a very aggressive price (40L ONR for the top end 4*4)? And I Hope Jeep keeps it to the T.
Based on the current compass pricing, it would be safe to say that the Meridian top end 4x4 AT should cost around 40L on road.
sreejinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 15:43   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Based on the current compass pricing, it would be safe to say that the Meridian top end 4x4 AT should cost around 40L on road.
In that case, it will significantly undercut Fortuner and Gloster. In fact, the Meridian will look more VFM product than Fortuner top end which costs 53L on-road. Again it all depends on how the Meridian is packaged overall - Point to Note for Jeep.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th February 2022 at 06:59. Reason: Capitalisation
Old 14th February 2022, 16:14   #310

One of the most anticipated vehicles from indian market. Finally a good American competition to the dated Fortuner. Meridian will bring its fresh look to the sub 50 lack SUV market.
I hope it is priced aggressively due to ‘Made in India’ badge.
Old 14th February 2022, 16:19   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
In that case, it will significantly undercut Fortuner and Gloster. IN fact, the Meridian will look more VFM product than Fortuner top end which costs 53L on-road. Again it all depends on how the Meridian is packaged overall - Point to Note for Jeep.
Jeep compass top spec retails for 38L here in KA. 4WD, more power, added features, additional seats and with competition costing 48-50L+, I see no reason why would Jeep price lower. Being newest car, expect this to have all latest tech, period correct interiors and mechanicals too. And when I say latest, should newer and different compared to updated Compass too. If they are going to add just few features but retain same engine + GB ,interiors to that of Compass and add two jump seats by increasing length, Meridian will die soon.

Last edited by PrideRed : 14th February 2022 at 16:46.
PrideRed is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 16:29   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Based on this comparison video from Brazil, the prices mentioned are (not sure whether this is Ex showroom or On road).
Translated to Rupees
Commander/Meridian : 2962694.91 to 4142077.32
SW4/Fortuner: 3260560.88 to 5389202.30
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 16:30   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I see no reason why would Jeep price lower. Being newest car, expect this to have all latest tech, period correct interiors and mechanicals too.
Agreed. No reason for them to price it lower. The timing is perfect for them as the Endeavour which was the most serious rival to the Fortuner is not available anymore and Skoda can't seem to get their supply in place.

But, having said that, if they can price it lower by 1-2 lakhs compared to the Kodiaq then they have a sure shot winner at hand specially because they have a diesel option which the Skoda lacks.
TurbochargedT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 17:49   #314
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant ad by Jeep India.
The video is evocative and similar to Tata Safari and Mahindra Live Young ads.

With Endeavour gone, this will be the only viable alternative to Toyota Fortuner. Jeep has a winner in it's stable if it prices the Meridian aggressively. A lot to play for.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 18:33   #315
BHPian

The top end Compass in Maharashtra is 35.90L OTR, the ex-showroom price is 29.34L. If Meridian's top end is priced 39L ex-showroom the OTR in Maharashtra will be around 47L, is the top end Meridian worth 10L more (ex-showroom) than the outgoing top end Compass.

For reference the diesel 4x4 AT fortuner costs 47L OTR in Maharashtra. I dont think Jeep will price it in that range. My guess for the top end Meridian OTR in Maharashtra would be below 43L, but hey you never know
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks