Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2022, 09:24   #361

Re: India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian

I am eagerly waiting for the launch of Jeep Commander/Meridian just like other members who want to look past Fortuner, Gloster & Kodiaq for aforementioned reasons. However as already noted by many in this thread, the pricing of Meridian could be the key when it comes to choosing between Meridian and some other established names in this segment. The ex-showroom price of Meridian and its different variants are not yet publicly available. However, I do believe prices of Jeep Compass & Commander in Brazilian market do offer some perspective and a reasonable estimate regarding the prospective showroom price of Meridian at launch in India.

In Brazil, Meridian (known as Commander in that country) is offered in 2 drivetrains. In 4X2 (offered only with a 1.3L T270 Turbo petrol engine producing 185 PS of power and 270 Nm of torque mated to a 6 speed TC) and 4X4 (offered only with TD 380 Turbo diesel engine producing 170 PS of power and 380 Nm of torque mated to a 9 speed TC). Do note that the kerb weight of the 4x2 variant is ~1700 kgs whereas that of the 4x4 variant is ~1900 kgs. Now both 4x2 and 4x4 variants are offered in two sub-variants each: Limited & Overland. The latter having a more well equipped interior and therefore costlier as well. The one noticeable exterior difference between overland & limited is that the overland variant (in both 4x2 and 4x4) is offered with a panoramic sunroof. The limited variant (in both 4x2 and 4x4) lacks it. Apart from a sunroof, features like the total number of speakers (6 in Limited vs 10 Harmon Kardons in Overland), wheel size (18' alloys with 235/55 in Limited vs 19' alloys 235/50 in Overland), terrain mode selector- (3 modes snow/sand/mud present in both 4x4 Overland & Limited variants but altogether absent in 4x2 variants), 8-way electrically adjustable seat (for both driver and passenger in Overland vs only driver in Limited), sensor operated trunk & 127 V auxiliary outlet (present in Overland, absent in Limited), etc. However 10,1' central infotainment display (with latest connectivity features), 10.25' fully digital instrument cluster and Paddle shifters are available in all variants of 4x2 and 4x4.

The prices (ex-showroom) of all the 4 variants of Commander/Meridian offered in Brazil alongside translated INR values (per prevailing exchange rates between a Brazilian Real and Indian Rupee as of 12/03/2022) are as follows:

4x2 Limited R$ 215, 018 ~ INR 32,40,128
4x2 Overland R$ 242,384 ~ INR 36,52,509
4x4 Limited R$ 267,209 ~ INR 40,26,600
4x4 Overland R$ 295,020 ~ INR 44,45,690

Now lets look at the prices of Jeep Compass and its variants offered in both Brazilian and Indian markets.

Brazilian Real (INR) Actual Showroom
Sport (petrol, DCT, 4x2) R$ 161,472 (~INR 24,33,237) INR 20,37,000
Longitude (petrol, DCT, 4x2) R$ 171,327 (~INR 25,81,744) INR 22,09,000
Limited(O) (diesel, 9AT, 4x4) R$ 214,137 (~INR 32,26,851) INR 27,19,000
Model S(O) (diesel, 9AT, 4x4) R$ 233,200 (~INR 35,14,114) INR 29,34,000

Keeping the above numbers in perspective, and how Jeep prices its cars in Brazilian & Indian markets especially the Jeep compass, I think its safe to assume that the highest variant of Jeep Meridian (4x4, Overland) could retail at somewhere around 38-40 L ex-showroom at the minimum. While the entry level variant (4x2, Limited) could retail at about 28-30L ex-showroom at launch.

Last edited by Axe77 : 12th March 2022 at 12:31. Reason: Torque rating corrected to 380 as per OP request.
TheSchwantz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 09:46   #362
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Meridian to be unveiled on March 29, 2022

Jeep is gearing up to unveil the Meridian SUV on March 29, 2022.

India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian-jeep_commander_overland_td4x4_0009.jpg

The Meridian is a 3-row SUV that shares its underpinnings with the Compass. It is likely to be offered in 6-seat and 7-seat configurations.

The Meridian has a more upright front fascia featuring a slim grille and LED headlamps. At the rear, the SUV gets slim wraparound tail lamps that are connected by a plastic strip forming a sleek graphic. Inside, the car gets a 10.25-inch digital instrument cluster and a 10-inch touchscreen infotainment head unit.

The Meridian is expected to be powered by a 2.0-litre 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 170 BHP and 350 Nm. The engine is likely to be paired with either a 6-speed manual or a 9-speed automatic transmission. The SUV will also be offered with four-wheel drive.
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 11:11   #363
BHPian

Its disappointing to see that they will have only the 170bhp motor, which means more weight to carry with same power as compass. They should have certainly gone for 200bhp!!
I was never super excited about the performance of compass. It was just about enough. At 40+lacs on road cost and larger and heavier, I am assuming that it would be inadequate
motorhead5 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 12:12   #364
BHPian

I had to replace my XUV. After the demise of Endeavor, my only option was Fortuner. Booked it in October and still waiting for the vehicle.

When the meridian showed up, I was in two minds. It definitely looks better and has better fit/finish/equipment. 2.0 ltr fiat was bothering me as well.

But finally going with Fortuner for the build quality and maintainability. Have decided to roam around in India post Covid.
Old 15th March 2022, 14:02   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
2.0 ltr fiat was bothering me as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Its disappointing to see that they will have only the 170bhp motor, which means more weight to carry with same power as compass. They should have certainly gone for 200bhp!!

Your concerns are not misplaced. But numbers of other SUVs in the same price segment paint a completely different picture. As far as 0-100 kmph acceleration is concerned Jeep Commander is extremely competitive (infact better) compared to the likes of top end Endeavour, Fortuner & Gloster offered in the Indian market. (figures of each below)

Here are the acceleration figures of the Brazilian Commander (whose kerb weight & engine output figures wouldn't be vastly different from the India specific Meridian).

4x2 variant (kerb weight- 1,685 kgs) of the commander which comes equipped with a 1.3L Turbo Flex (Ethanol/Petrol) T270 engine producing 185 ps of power and 270 Nm of torque, accelerates from0-100 kmph in 9.5 seconds. Comes equipped with 6 speed AT and paddle shifters.

On the other hand the4x4 variant (kerb weight- 1,908 kgs) of the commander which is powered by a 2.0 Multijet Diesel TD380 engine produces 170 ps of power and 380 Nm of torque, accelerates from0-100 kmph in 11.6 seconds. It is equipped with 9 speed AT and paddle shifters.

And here are the 0-100 kmph figures of the competitors which Jeep Compass/Meridian is most likely to face in the Indian market.

Toyota Fortuner 4x4 (kerb weight- 2,735 kgs) powered by a 2.8L turbo diesel engine offering 204 PS of power and 500 Nm of torque accelerates from 0-100 kmph in 9.9 seconds. Has 6 speed AT with paddle shifters.

Ford Endeavour 4x4 (kerb weight- 2,394 kgs) powered by a 3.2L turbo diesel engine offering 200 PS of power and 470 Nm of torque accelerates from 0-100 kmph in 11.34 seconds. Has 6 speed AT with paddle shifters.

New Ford Endeavour 4x4 (kerb weight- 2,410 kgs) powered by a 2.0L Ecoblue engine offering 170 PS of power and 420 Nm of torque accelerates from 0-100 kmph in 13.6 seconds. Has 10 speed AT with NO paddle shifters.

MG Gloster 4WD (kerb weight- 2,465 kgs) powered by a 2.0L Twin Turbo diesel engine churning out 218 PS of power and 480 Nm of torque accelerates from 0-100 kmph in 11.5 seconds. Has 8 speed AT with paddle shifters.

P.S.- I do agree that 0-100 acceleration is not the only thing when it comes to a pleasurable/exciting driving experience. But I believe that the talk surrounding Meridian's kerb weight & the engine options which would be on offer in India thereby making it underpowered is a bit misplaced.

- Also the highest variant (4x4, Overland) in the brazilian market not only comes with 9 speed AT and paddle shifters but also a sport mode. I see no reason why those features wouldn't be offered on top end trims of Meridian in India as well. That could add to the overall driving experience.
TheSchwantz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 18:10   #366
BHPian

Good assessment . I think you need to add kodiaq also to the mix as I think these 2 would end up competing. And if we go by the interest in Kodiaq, jeep should be prepared for similar volume, if the specs are similar and price is reasonable. If it's 200bhp, they can price at a similar level as Kodiaq. Else, they will have to bring the price down.. I still hope they will surprise us with a 200bhp motor
Old 15th March 2022, 19:11   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
If it's 200bhp, they can price at a similar level as Kodiaq.
One important difference. It is a 200 bhp DIESEL. I would expect them to price it a bit higher than Kodiaq, and like the latter, have the entry model itself well loaded with features. Jeep is a far more premium brand than Skoda. Unless Jeep really wants to surprise us.
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 22:20   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
One important difference. It is a 200 bhp DIESEL.
Where did you get this info on 200bhp?. I hope its true
motorhead5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 22:39   #369
BHPian

Quote:
One important difference. It is a 200 bhp DIESEL. I would expect them to price it a bit higher than Kodiaq, and like the latter, have the entry model itself well loaded with features. Jeep is a far more premium brand than Skoda. Unless Jeep really wants to surprise us.

Sorry, but i would’nt agree that Jeep is a far more premium brand than Skoda. The reason for Compass’s success initially was the price point and it was a good product for that time.

But if they hope to replicate the success they will have to price the Meridian with a wide product variant range starting at 2.5-3l over the Compass for sport variant(will be nice if they provide 6 airbags from base model) and going upto 33.5-34 lakh ex-showroom for the top end. It will end up being 3-3.5lesser than Kodiaq l&k.

As an owner of Compass and having sampled the new Kodiaq, though the interior quality and finish of Jeep is good, its not in Skoda/VWcategory. Also, performance is pretty blunted due to the automatic. Even if its a 200hp engine it is going to be nowhere as quick or effortless or polished like the VW engine.

The one area where it will beat the Skoda is driving pleasure and feeling of indestructibility. Also it is pretty capable off road.
Old 15th March 2022, 23:08   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
Sorry, but i would’nt agree that Jeep is a far more premium brand than Skoda. The reason for Compass’s success initially was the price point and it was a good product for that time.
Think you are confusing product with brand. Skoda may be premium in India, and in T-BHP, but it is nowhere in the list globally. Jeep is a more premium and exclusive brand. It is not a mass market brand. Compass was well priced to start with and was pretty bare bones at entry level to meet that low entry pricing, and generate volumes. A loaded model, like the S/Trailhawk today is priced close to the C5 and Tiguan, and higher than Tucson. Every other car that Jeep has is more expensive than anything VW sells in India (not counting other VW brands, and yes- Jeep is good at pricing fiascos )

Quote:
But if they hope to replicate the success they will have to price the Meridian with a wide product variant range starting at 2.5-3l over the Compass for sport variant
I have a feeling they will follow a top down strategy- close the gap between the Compass and Wrangler with this product, rather than cannibalize the Compass. So i expect prices to range from 36-45 lakh. 3 diesel variants to start with.

Quote:
The one area where it will beat the Skoda is driving pleasure and feeling of indestructibility. Also it is pretty capable off road.
Oh look, you have listed 3

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 15th March 2022 at 23:12.
achyutaghosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 23:27   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, but i would’nt agree that Jeep is a far more premium brand than Skoda.

As an owner of Compass and having sampled the new Kodiaq, though the interior quality and finish of Jeep is good, its not in Skoda/VWcategory. Also, performance is pretty blunted due to the automatic. Even if its a 200hp engine it is going to be nowhere as quick or effortless or polished like the VW engine.
Globally, Jeep certainly is more desired than Skoda. Couple of my friends who returned from abroad went for compass instead of tiguan/tuscon just for the brand.

For the last few years, Skoda has significantly improved their overall design and feature list and made it a lot more desirable. I personally give a lot of importance to design, performance and handling and don't give a lot of importance to brand. So Skoda is a good option for me - value premium

Now on performance of Kodiaq and Meridien, I agree that Kodiaq has an edge and that is because of the DSG transmission. That's why having 200 bhp in Meridien would become important the way I look at it.

I would also be ready to take a chance on reliability for performance - enjoy daily drives and suffer a little, if at all..
motorhead5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 02:35   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwantz View Post
Toyota Fortuner 4x4 (kerb weight- 2,735 kgs) ..
Just a small correction, the Kerb weight of the Fortuner 4x4 is about 2180 KG
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 09:51   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwantz View Post
Your concerns are not misplaced. But numbers of other SUVs in the same price segment paint a completely different picture. As far as 0-100 kmph acceleration is concerned Jeep Commander is extremely competitive (infact better) compared to the likes of top end Endeavour, Fortuner & Gloster offered in the Indian market. (figures of each below)
It’s not about the 0-100 figures. The torque at 350 NM is poor. Kills the drivability. I test drove the compass and found it boring to be honest. More like a people mover than a fun SUV.

I am really disappointed they are not tweaking the engine.

I had pre-booked the meridian, thinking about cancelling it now.

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th March 2022 at 18:08. Reason: Trimming quoted text.
drjaygoyal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 10:10   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry but Jeep is not a premium brand, it’s same as Skoda or VW. Their offering in India is expensive because other than Compass it’s mostly CBU with high engine specs. If VW gets their high engine specs cars (say VW Touareg) it will cost like or more than Grand Cherokee. It’s just that Jeep product portfolio is different and has a different customer base and serves a niche segment.
And looks like 200 bhp is not offered. 170 bhp one will definitely be slower than Fortuner, forget about Kodiaq and Tiguan.

More than pricing I hope they really get 200 bhp and price it couple of lakhs more than Kodiaq if they want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
It may or may not be perceived as a premium brand today but if one has a sit in their new Compass it's godamn impressive. I sat in one of their Model S units in a dealership recently and If it wasn't for the Jeep Badge on the steering wheel in front of me I might as well have confused it for a highly refined german when it comes to cabin quality and NVH levels at the very least.
Also, aside from the Utilitarian Wrangler, I think they are very much aiming to be a premium offering going by the quality levels of Compass, and presumably the Meridian moving forward.
While I agree Compass interior feels better than say Tucson, but when you compare with new Octavia I felt the quality in Octavia was much better. What I liked in Compass though is the black interiors.
So while agree Compass might feel better than mainstream brands their quality is more or less same as Skoda or VW.

Last edited by sunikkat : 16th March 2022 at 10:28.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 10:18   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Sorry but Jeep is not a premium brand, it’s same as Skoda or VW. Their offering in India is expensive because other than Compass it’s all CBU with high engine specs. If VW gets their high end cars as CBU it will cost like or more than Grand Cherokee. It’s just that Jeep product portfolio is different and has a different customer base.
It may or may not be perceived as a premium brand today but if one has a sit in their new Compass it's godamn impressive. I sat in one of their Model S units in a dealership recently and If it wasn't for the Jeep Badge on the steering wheel in front of me I might as well have confused it for a highly refined german when it comes to cabin quality and NVH levels at the very least.
Also, aside from the Utilitarian Wrangler, I think they are very much aiming to be a premium offering going by the quality levels of Compass, and presumably the Meridian moving forward.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks