Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2021, 02:37   #1141
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post
As per motor beam, the price is going to be 2 lakh on top of harrier.

Quoting from motorbeam website ......

Now, if this is true, I am not going to pay 2 lakhs extra for a Safari badge. I know it has better interior than Harrier, but still 2 lakhs is on the higher side. In Bangalore, it will cost 28 on road.

With this price, we are forced to evaluate the value that it will bring as compared to Harrier and other new launches......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
If one is willing to spend 28 lakhs on a car, it is better to add a few more and buy a Fortuner or Endeavor.
A few more? The Fortuner is north of 40 lacs in Bangalore!

If the above news is correct the Endy/Fortuner will cost approx. 40% more than the Safari! As per the info, the Safari prices will be pegged slightly higher than the current XUV500 prices.
shortbread is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 04:17   #1142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If one is willing to spend 28 lakhs on a car, it is better to add a few more and buy a Fortuner or Endeavor. Even the Harrier prices are very high. Yes, the car has a lot going for it but for that amount of money, it is better to invest in a proven body on frame SUV.
Aren't the Fortuner and Endy a million rupees away?

Also, I started reading and driving SUVs only recently so please pardon my ignorance. The Fortuner and Endy are SUVs that are based on UTEs. This is an advantage or disadvantage depending on the use case. Isn't it unfair to claim that a proven body-on-frame construction is better than a unibody/monocoque construction without factoring in the use case?

Even the Pajero or the LR Defender aren't body-on-frame right?

If the primary purpose is spacious and comfortable cruising then I've seen that the UTE based vehicles aren't the best in that aspect.

Quote:
would people spend 30 lakhs on a new product which is named after an SUV that competed against the Scorpio?
Tough ask indeed but let's see how the market responds.

Prices of many cars have doubled in a span of two decades though.
kiku007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 05:47   #1143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If one is willing to spend 28 lakhs on a car, it is better to add a few more and buy a Fortuner or Endeavor. Even the Harrier prices are very high. Yes, the car has a lot going for it but for that amount of money, it is better to invest in a proven body on frame SUV.

Till 2 years ago people could buy a very comfortable Automatic Hexa for 20 lakhs on the road with a Harman sound system, a 400 NM torque engine and a superb suspension. Today a 5 seater Harrier costs more. There may be some additional features, but would people spend 30 lakhs on a new product which is named after an SUV that competed against the Scorpio?
Extending your logic, if one can spend 40/45 lakhs for a pickup based "suv" with high body roll, one should definitely spend 65 lakh and buy a GLC/X3 or even better a discovery sport. Atleast one can enjoy some actual brand value than trying to snob in a ford or a Toyota?

Do you realise that there is over 12/15 lakh difference between 28 lakh and 40/45 lakh cars?

Last edited by apachelongbow : 25th January 2021 at 05:50.
apachelongbow is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 07:39   #1144
BHPian

The new Tata Safari is expected to be priced around Rs. 2 lakhs more premium over the Harrier. Bookings are likely to commence from 26th January onwards while the market launch is expected sometime in February.

Now, if this is true, I am not going to pay 2 lakhs extra for a Safari badge. I know it has better interior than Harrier, but still 2 lakhs is on the higher side. In Bangalore, it will cost 28 on road.

With this price, we are forced to evaluate the value that it will bring as compared to Harrier and other new launches.

The first impression definitely makes me put a step back and rethink.

But this has to be compared more with the innova crysta than the fortuner/endeavour.
This vehicle definitely seems to be offering more than the innova but less than the fortuner, yet is priced less than the innova.
That makes it a good value for money.

It is unfortunate that the value of money has changed against enthusiasts off late.(A decade ago we could buy a fortuner for this price)

Got to see the crowd response and XUV still has time to come into the markets.
That gives Tata a chance to prove itself in terms of quality and a niggle free experience.
db DrivE is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 08:28   #1145
Distinguished - BHPian

The Safari should be niggle free from Day 1. If I have to look for a 7 seater, the options I have south of 25L are less. I don't have big money to plonk in for a Fortuner or Endeavor. Even the top end Crysta Automatic with 7 airbags is kind of out of reach. So this is the area where Safari may prove itself. I'll be wary of XUV5OO with all the gizmos it'll be offered with. It'll not be good to be driving and suddenly one of the autonomous things starts acting up autonomously! If XUV5OO is offered with all proven safety tech like a crash worthy structure and 6 airbags even without autonomous tech or sun-roof in a lower variant, it can be considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db DrivE View Post
This vehicle definitely seems to be offering more than the innova but less than the fortuner, yet is priced less than the innova. That makes it a good value for money.
Quite true. And I hope it stays that way.

Quote:
That gives Tata a chance to prove itself in terms of quality and a niggle free experience.
Both Tata and Mahindra need to provide their flagship models without any mechanical or technical niggle from day 1.

I hope the unveil tomorrow gives us more details about the interiors.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 25th January 2021 at 08:41.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 08:47   #1146
Senior - BHPian

OT:

This isn't meant to be a response to any specific post, but I really wish people would stop predicting the INDIA WIDE sales performance of a vehicle (that too for one which isn't launched yet) based on speculated on-road prices in Bangalore (or KA in general). Yes, you can speak for yourself, but please don't assume for the rest of the country.

Approximate "Harrier XZA Plus Dark Edition AT" on-road prices (in lakhs) for some random cities are given below (taken from CarDekho):

Bangalore 25.76
Chennai, Pune 24.74
Hyderabad 24.54
Kolkata, Ahmedabad 22.90
Delhi 24.33
Bhubaneshwar 23.70
Patna 24.31
Guwahati 24.11
Lucknow 22.31
Ambala 23.70
Shimla 22.85
Jaipur 24.45
Kochi 25.08
Jammu 23.49

As is evident, there is a substantial delta between prices in KA and quite a few other states. So, let's not write the Safari's epitaph just yet, that too based only on a report in MotorBeam.

Mods: Please delete the post if it's not appropriate in this thread.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 25th January 2021 at 09:03.
comfortablynumb is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 09:22   #1147
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari launch Live link

Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 09:50   #1148
BHPian

Quote:
If one is willing to spend 28 lakhs on a car, it is better to add a few more and buy a Fortuner or Endeavor.
This might not work for many, and especially for me. I am looking for a car within the budget of 30 lacs ( on-road ). I am willing to spend 30 lacs on Jeep Compass or Tata Safari but I cannot add a few more lacs and purchase a Fortuner for 40.4 lacs ( on-road price in Kerala for the base diesel variant ) simply because my initial budget was around 25 lacs and I already added a few more to make it 30 lacs. I will have to almost double my initial budget to purchase a Fortuner 4x4 AT.
navaneeth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 09:58   #1149
Senior - BHPian

I am looking forward to this New Safari.

Call it coincidence, but just when I read that Honda has discontinued Civic, I changed my mind from Sedan to SUV. Few weeks later, Jeep showcased Updated Compass, MG launched 2021 Hector & Hector Plus. Citroen announced that their C5 Autocross would be unveiled on Feb 1st. Mahindra will be launching All New XUV5OO in 2nd Quarter of 2021. And now this Safari or the Harrier XL, whatever you may call it.

Coming to the main part, Tata needs to price this well, not just compared to Innova Crysta but all other upcoming rivals. Main threat is the XUV5OO. Harrier is already overpriced, yes I feel it that way especially with Hector taken into consideration. Both have same engines, both are similarly sized, both are 5 seaters, Hector is well equipped but Harrier is dynamically better. But Hector is around 80k cheaper than Harrier and also much more premium inside.

With Safari, Tata needs to make sure they don't overcharge just for different color interiors and additional row of seats and few feature additions over Harrier.

Tomorrow we'll get to know the New Safari's Fate.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 10:28   #1150
BHPian

The original Safari was always a bit more expensive than the Scorpio, and had a significant overlap with even the XUV500; meaning the VX was priced higher than several lower variants of the XUV500.

It appears that, and also mentioned in this thread, Tata is positioning the new Safari higher than the original Safari's "basic 7 seater" segment. The new one definitely is much better, going by the Harrier build/interiors/features. Quite possibly, this time they have the XUV500 as their main competition, instead of the Scorpio earlier.

Whether they succeed or not, who knows. With each iteration/refresh of the Safari, we have seen quite heated discussions in this forum itself about how the Safari is better than the Scorpio - either design or space or materials or suspension etc. However, the market has always spoken in favour of the Scorpio, which even today, does 4000 per month, whereas Tata has had to shut down its Safari line last year.

It doesn't matter what we few folks think, eg. I liked the Storme better than not only the Scorpio but also the XUV500 and even the Compass. But see the sales numbers, you'll find the market verdict in every month's sales numbers.

If Tata has done its research properly and have built a good product with good service, they can easily price Safari at 2 lakh premium over Harrier, even more.
The Endeavor and Fortuner are 40+ lakh cars, so, there's a clear 10-12 lakh delta separating Safari and these cars. Not a "few" lakhs by any stretch of imagination.

And I'm not even getting into the point whether these cars will appeal to every Safari buyer. For many (if not all) the imagery of the car they drive also matters.

For the right target customer, a 2 lakh delta over the Harrier shouldn't matter.
But yeah for everyone else, Tata should price the Safari at a premium over the Harrier, but no more than INR 50,000 (25,000 for each extra seat). Else, it will be a dismal flop.

Glad to see Tata's mojo back.

cheers
lazy

Last edited by lazy : 25th January 2021 at 10:32.
lazy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 11:05   #1151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The Safari should be niggle free from Day 1.....
This is the new Safari's biggest advantage in my opinion.

In normal context it would be a gamble to recommend a newly launched Tata, way too many historic examples to cite here. The company takes 12 months to complete beta testing and offer a thoroughly improved V2 variant of their new models.

To the benefit of the upcoming Safari, Tata has completed two years with the OmegArc platform. The current Harrier is a big improvement over the launch versions, this experience will hold in good stead for the upcoming Safari from day 1. Fingers crossed!
shortbread is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 11:06   #1152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, on-road price of 28 lac is just a speculation at this point, and that too, very specific to KA - will be much lower in other states.
Secondly, both Endeavour and Fortuner cost 40-plus lac in Bangalore, so I am not sure if 12-plus lac is "few" lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by db DrivE View Post
I am not going to pay 2 lakhs extra for a Safari badge.
Even if it is true, I reckon it is only fair, given that it provides one with extra seating and interior space.

With new Scorpio and new XUV 5OO coming in this year, (new) Safari will definitely have tough competition but given that the 20-25 lac (ex-showroom) 7-seater SUV segment is pretty much a white space on the India automotive canvas, I am sure there is enough and more market for all of them. May the best SUV win!

Last edited by cool_dube : 25th January 2021 at 11:07.
Old 25th January 2021, 11:20   #1153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A few more? Don't know about Endeavour but Fortuner retails at 43 L in my town, which is 15 Lakhs away. 15 lakhs is few more on a price of 5 crores. Not on a price of 28 L.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 12:15   #1154
Senior - BHPian

I believe Tata won't price it the way Motorbeam has reported. I think this will be priced around Hector Plus than anything higher.

Recent Tata pricing strategies have clearly indicated this trend, & I am sure they will adhere to same than let Safari brand bite the dust.

To be honest, cross-shopping can happen with Compass & Tucson as these are available in market than something that means buying 2 Tata products for price of one. They also have to be watchful of XUV500 & Scorpio & that's where pricing is crucial.
Old 25th January 2021, 12:33   #1155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
They also have to be watchful of XUV500 & Scorpio & that's where pricing is crucial.
I think the Scorpio - Safari comparison ended categorically the moment the Storme was pulled out. I don't think there will be any cross shopping between these 2 anymore. New Scorpio will be much cheaper than the New Safari. And on the other hand - the quality, on-road capability & finesse in the Safari will be far better than the Scorpio. The segment distinction between these 2 cars is now clear & unambiguous. The reason also is fair - Scorpio afterall will remain focused on Tier2 / sub-urban & rural areas. While XUV5oo takes on the Safari-Harrier combo.

Off topic - Tata has effectively given up 3 MUV/SUV segments on a platter to M&M. No MUV to fight with the Marazzo or the Bolero. And no LoF SUV to fight the Scorpio. Tata clearly is positioning itself into an urban focused brand in premium segments above & beyond the Nexon. Not a bad ploy since this way they limit exposure, make better and efficient usage of available budgets & have a limited but satisfied customer (and shareholder) base compared to a large + dissatisfied one.

Last edited by Reinhard : 25th January 2021 at 12:39.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks