Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2020, 11:21   #76
BANNED

Re: The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs

Wow!
A rapid TSI that's cheaper than a polo TSI.

Impressive pricing.
turbo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 11:37   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
This is how the old Rapid Rider looked like. Slightly plain but can be dolled up very quickly!

Attached is the old pricelist.

I feel it's a good deal. Mind you, colour choices are only Candy White & Carbon Steel I've been told.
Well looks like rider was cheap earlier too at 6.99lacs and no one talked about or bought the variant! Now with technically advanced engine, I think many will give this a miss. Afterall the car is quite old now, just got heart transplant.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 11:50   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetodrive View Post
With Etios saying good bye and Dzire loosing its diesel engine, Rider might hit the bulls eye in our ever growing cab market. Hope Corona does not hinder its opportunities.
Hope not! Wouldn't want a cabbie with a Rapid Rider to beat my Ecosport hollow on highway runs.

But seriously, this is a great point! When driven sedately, the 1.0 TSI can get close to the traditional taxis for fuel efficiency (e.g. Ford 1.5 TDCI on the Fiestas, the Toyota 1.4 Diesel on Etiois, though not maybe able to match the DDIS 1.3 from the Marutis). The cabin space and boot space is also satisfactory on the Rapid. Add to that, the standard rear AC vents, the Bluetooth enabled ICE that is already built-in, the solid and lasting build and easy availability of spares due to the sheer number of these cars on the road, could make this a really attractive proposition for fleet owners.

When I travel to Mexico, I see the sheer number of India-made Ventos that run around there as taxis, it is a good proof of the durability of the platform for long term and high mileage applications. Most of the Ventos there are the 1.6 MPI motor with a Torque Converter automatic.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 28th May 2020 at 12:01.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 11:58   #79
BHPian

While the rider was always a good VFM. Its their calling card. In my recent inquiries, Skoda offered generous discounts on all models except rider. So post discount prices of Ambition were always competitive. I am sure there will be >=1L discounts on the Ambition soon, but rider will be not have discounts.
Old 28th May 2020, 12:26   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Hope not! Wouldn't want a cabbie with a Rapid Rider to beat my Ecosport hollow on highway run...
I don't think that will ever happen. That segment is extremely sensitive to maintenance cost, the primary gaping hole in Skoda's armor. But yes, it does seem a bit queer that you get a Rapid at the price of a Dzire.
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 15:31   #81
BHPian

Good pricing by Skoda !
A great looking car with good ride, good build and with this price makes it an extremely VFM vehicle.
I wish Skoda to launch Rapid 1.0L TSI Automatic soon.
If they price it below 10 L , would be a good choice for sure.
Ranjith812 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 16:12   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Well looks like rider was cheap earlier too at 6.99lacs and no one talked about or bought the variant!
The main reason for this was the 1.6 MPI motor. Though it was adequate in itself, performance & fuel economy were not it's strong points.
Old 28th May 2020, 17:33   #83
Senior - BHPian

The base version covers bare minimum necessities pretty well. I was checking out the base version Rapid 1.6 too last year when I was in the market to get a new car, but dropped the plans for an MPV. Otherwise, I was going to be tough one between the Rapid and the Ciaz. The car looks pretty well in the base version too with halogen headlights.

The only thing I read about the 1.0L turbo engine is that it does not have a balancer shaft which will not help in reducing vibrations. Need to wait for our official test drive review. Also, I don't think fuel efficiency is going to be that great. Moreover, as the engine is new and this is a Skoda, I would wait for some time for some ownership reviews and related issues to come up. Remember the PD engine which came with Skoda Fabia had quite some issues.
Old 28th May 2020, 19:00   #84
BHPian

Was just browsing through the Skoda website, and this caught my eye - the new Rapid seems to have an all new infotainment unit

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-6reasons_infotainment.22b87bb33eec0e96666dcf24a5f90230.fill960x548.png

It seems it's only available on the top 2 variants and it's mentioned as "20.32 Skoda Android Infotainment System"

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-capture.jpg

Waiting for the review of this car to learn more about this unit.

Regards
Games Goblin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 19:24   #85
BHPian

I am looking for replacing my almost 9 year old Etios Liva G(P). I wish to have a true Toyota (not the Glanza/urban cruiser), but Yaris is bit pricey but interesting especially the CVT. Started to look beyond Toyota, but afraid of Hyundai for high service expense and poor mileage(my experience with a Santro). Decided to wait for Jazz(1.5D) and Kia Sonet(1.5 D). I never considered Skoda as an option. Price, mileage and features of recently launched Rapid TSI Rider variant has made me to seriously consider Skoda Rapid. If Skoda had added MID in base variant, it would have been even better. Now, can someone clarify
a) reason for widely different mileage offered by Vento TSI (17.69 KMPL) and Rapid TSI (18.97 KMPL) although the kerb weight and state of tune is similar

b) Are Skoda engines known for giving mileage close to ARAI results like Toyota, Maruti and Honda or do we expect more deviation like Hyundai, Mahindra etc
Old 28th May 2020, 20:21   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

No surprise to me about Skoda's excellent pricing!

They sold their juicy Ambition 1.5 TDI at 9.99 lakhs ex showroom last December/Jan 2020. That's an amazing value for a superb diesel(barring NVH) and a well built , nice handling , well equipped diesel c2 sedan to be sold at 11.5 lakhs OTR.

They sold the 1.6 NA petrol rider for 6.99 lakhs last year. Definitely great pricing.

They do screw with pricing in their style and montecarlo (that lovely red!!) variants though.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 21:17   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
n their style and montecarlo (that lovely red!!) variants though.
Agree! This time around, that metallic Carbon Steel colour is very nice though. See this: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...iesel-dsg.html

Only thing missing is the DRLs.

Last edited by itwasntme : 28th May 2020 at 21:19.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 21:21   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Agree! This time around, that metallic Carbon Steel colour is very nice though. See this: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...iesel-dsg.html

Only thing missing is the DRLs.
True, the carbon steel and beige are the 2 coolest elegant shades on the rapid if the buyer isnt after the sporty red or onyx blue or the common white.

The carbon steel definitely needs keen maintenance though
Old 28th May 2020, 23:05   #89
BHPian

Had taken the test drive of the Polo TSI manual recently and absolutely loved. I have even posted a short first impressions post in a different thread which can be found at: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4812993 (VW India discontinues DSG in Polo & Vento 1.0 TSI, replaces with torque converter AT)

However, with the Rapid Rider being priced at such a tantalizingly low price and almost 50k cheaper than the Polo TSI manual (On-road Bangalore), this poses a very confusing dilemma. Considering its the same engine, performance should be around the same. The Rider variant does lose out on some features, compared to the Polo TSI Manual, but just the fact that you can have a well rounded sedan with the same engine and still undercut the Polo by around 50K is a good reason to check it out. Cant wait to test drive the Skoda Rapid TSI soon!!
tejascshetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 23:34   #90

Looks like manufacturers will start coming back to their senses and start pricing accordingly. Good move by Skoda, this is exactly how cars based on ageing platforms should be priced. The Dzire,Aura and even the new Honda City to some extent is going to feel the heat, as Skoda is still a prestige brand in India and is going to make the Honda, Hyundai and Maruti loyalists look elsewhere. The post-corona market is sure to be a buyers market, and cars obviously being overpriced by a few lakhs should get a pat on the back and quickly correct themselves.
Uppili_N55 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks