Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2020, 18:31   #61
BHPian

Re: Is this the Tata Nexon DCT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameis View Post
And, people who buy sub 15 lac cars are not necessarily rich or have multiple cars at home, so reliability becomes an important factor.
People shopping in these segments will definitely consider the fuel efficiency. That is why manufactures want to avoid TCs especially with turbo petrols.
NICHE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 18:38   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
People shopping in these segments will definitely consider the fuel efficiency. That is why manufactures want to avoid TCs especially with turbo petrols.
I would any day prefer reliability over loss of a kmpl. Even 2.
And not all people buying in this have two cars at home. If the car sits at workshop for a month, and one uses ola/ uber, loss in FE will have no value. And I have not yet added the cost of repair/ replacement of the DCT.
Mynameis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 18:41   #63
BHPian

Quote:
I do not understand why manufacturers are hell bent on DCT these days.
The regular TC type gear boxes are no bad and are quick enough in gear shifts. Turbo engines + TC is the best combo IMO. You have fun of turbo and peace of mind of a TC gearbox.
No doubt, DCT shifts the gear a fraction of a second quicker compared to a TC,
As a movie dialogue goes "sab efficiency ka chakkar hai Babu bhaiya"

Turbo petrols specifically are not good at economy if you consider city driving. Adding Torque Converter to the picture, then you can see big holes in your pocket. Hence, add the DCT and improve efficiency. Also, if the gearbox goes kaput, you have another serviceable part!

Second reason which I believe is keeping the engine in the turbo rpm range. Even if TC is a fraction of second late, the rpm drop may push the petrol engine out of the turbo band, leading to a noticeable drop in torque. It may not be so pronounced in diesels due to their good torque but I'm thinking the torque drop will be more noticeable in turbo petrols. This will not make for a very comfortable ride.

Just my 2 cents.
jasjotbains is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 19:16   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
Also, if the gearbox goes kaput, you have another serviceable part!
Didn't get it completely, but assuming you mean it can be serviced if it fails, then I doubt if cost of servicing would come cheap. And if the car stays long at service centre, it will be inconvenient without a car.

Quote:
the rpm drop may push the petrol engine out of the turbo band, leading to a noticeable drop in torque.
I think its a bit exaggerating to say this. I don't think a TC gearbox is slow enough, to let rpm drop to an extent that it takes the engine out of its turbo zone!

Though, something which gives relief is that these days its not common to hear failures of a Dual clutch gearbox, considering the amount of cars that have been launched in last 5-7years.
If I am out shopping today, I will certainly shortlist cars with DSG/ DCT too.

Of all the petrol Dct cars sold these days, a major reason is also the aversion towards diesels. Today, It makes more sense to go for a petrol Dct than a diesel car, since a decade from now diesels won't have good resale. Still, a turbo petrol + TC is what would cut it for me!
Mynameis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 19:56   #65
BHPian

If TATA wants to continue doing good numbers with Nexon they desperately need a decent turbo petrol automatic (a real one) under 10L.

They already have a Nexon XZ petrol that is decently loaded while being the only 5 star rated car with no major compromises leaving out that AMT gearbox. This variant is priced at 8.84L ex-showroom.

Add a DCT and price it below 10L and get it out before Sonet with it's HTK+ DCT gains traction. This is the only variant of the Sonet that has electronic safety aids (VSM, HLA, TSC etc) leaving out the top end GTX+.

The next turbo petrol automatic is priced at 10.24L ex-showroom and has almost nothing of value over XZ (leaving out the driver seat height adjust and rear defogger).
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 22:07   #66
Senior - BHPian

I agree. They should offer all the features the Sonet has in Nexon (and avoid the mistakes they did with Harrier. Letting competition take a lead with better features and Auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
If TATA wants to continue doing good numbers with Nexon they desperately need a decent turbo petrol automatic (a real one) under 10L.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 08:03   #67
BHPian

IMHO we shouldn't take the image too seriously. If you observe, the car has a rear fog lamp too (or is it just me?), which got deleted way back in 2018.
Either way, looks like either Tata has fiddled with the variants again , or looks like a major Photoshop gaffe (which I think is more likely, given their previous instances: remember the Mahindra Maxximo incident?)

Last edited by artemis_fowl : 1st September 2020 at 08:06.
artemis_fowl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 10:45   #68
BHPian

My family owned a Zest for 4 years. It wasn't driven much and the service center (a single one) was good. However, there has to be some truth when so many reports about the careless and clueless attitude of TATA A.S.S. come to the forefront.
I for one will find it very difficult to have such a complex system which is quite prone to failure in our conditions and then have TATA SAs to service/fix it (however great the engineering might be). TML should have concentrated on a good TC rather than a DCT. It would still be a manual Nexon for me.
SansGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 10:46   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash22 View Post
Hope tata brings in 4x4 feature for nexon which opens up a new category.
Why? Less than 2% of customers opt for Scorpio 4WD and that is a more serious workhorse of a vehicle.

Why would any company add to it's lineup, spend time and money on development of a vehicle that no customers would take off the tarmac? The current Nexon is more than competent to handle what little 'off roading' is done. Launch a Thar 2WD and I bet you'll find 60% share of total sale goes to 2WD

As a person who loves the Nexon would you not rather see more safety features, a larger, sharper infotainment screen, a steering adjustable for reach, LED headlamps?

Auto companies add what they see a market for (though I do not deny sloth and interia either as reasons for NOT introducing something). If you are not seeing a particular feature in you favourite car, chances are that there is simply no demand for it!
Old 1st September 2020, 10:54   #70

As much as I'd like it to be a DCT, looking at the ad - as if it has climbed all that terrain - it looks like an AWD. Would be happy if I'm wrong though
Old 1st September 2020, 10:55   #71
BHPian

Quote:
I do not understand why manufacturers are hell bent on DCT these days.

The regular TC type gear boxes are no bad and are quick enough in gear shifts. Turbo engines + TC is the best combo IMO.
I looove my slushmatic torque converter on the Hexa XTA. Gives me 10+ kmpl despite a near 2.5 ton kerb weight. Steer clear of the 4 speeder on Marutis and the gazillion speeders on some fancy brands that are constantly wondering which gear to choose out of 9 in India's stop go traffic!

As the wise curator of the Air Museum in Krakow told me - if you have the choice between an aeroplane and a chopper to travel, always choose the aeroplane. An aeroplane is always safer, more reliable because it has been in development for way over a century. A chopper is only 60 years in development and is an unbalanced design. You are more likely to end up dead!

The Torque Converter AT has been around for 60 years and is the grand daddy of all automatics. No wonder, the chances of a brand getting a torque converter wrong are far lower!
Ferruccio is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 12:19   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
I looove my slushmatic torque converter on the Hexa XTA. Gives me 10+ kmpl despite a near 2.5 ton kerb weight. Steer clear of the 4 speeder on Marutis and the gazillion speeders on some fancy brands that are constantly wondering which gear to choose out of 9 in India's stop go traffic!
I completely second this! The Torque Converter in the Hexa is the best in the business in the price range and the segment. Its a very eager shifter and quick enough too.

I had driven Creta AT and it was no where near as good.

The Hexa's Torque Converter Unit is an underrated gem!
Flash777 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 12:40   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fravia View Post
As much as I'd like it to be a DCT, looking at the ad - as if it has climbed all that terrain - it looks like an AWD. Would be happy if I'm wrong though
I had the same thoughts running in my mind. That is, looking at Nexon parked on top of a hill, it could be an 4/A-WD.

And if going by observations made by DriveOnceMore, I guess it could be India's First EV with AWD
Old 1st September 2020, 12:44   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
New teaser image.
This one is quite confusing though.
No exhaust so could this be an EV with added range?
The variants has alloy wheels, rear wiper and defogger which suggests it being higher variant but the stick type antenna negates it.
What is it?
Don't read too much into the image. Its a highly "PhotoShop-ped" one. There are a lot of irregularities in the car. To name a few -
  1. Missing tail pipe but no EV blue inserts in ceramic shoulder (Obviously to try and hide the fuel type since diesel & petrol end cans are a dead give away).
  2. The antenna is a blend of the top trim's shark-fin + lower trim's longer one.
  3. The rear wiper is resting on the wrong side of the glass. Indian/Asian origin car wipers rest on the left most of the times. The Nexon's surely does.

So overall - I feel its just a teaser & the image doesn't actually give any hints of whats coming. At least for now.

I don't think there is a chance of an AWD. For a long time TML has said the X1 platform doesn't allow for a rear drive transmission/differential installation. While technically nothing is impossible if one wants, I don't see Tata investing in AWD on a sub4M car when it's Flagship - the Harrier doesn't get an AWD yet. It would be shocking if they went ahead and launched a sub4M car with AWD before the flagship. (In my heart - I wish this happens!)

Last edited by Reinhard : 1st September 2020 at 12:59.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 12:50   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
The Torque Converter AT has been around for 60 years and is the grand daddy of all automatics.

All these years in production and all the know-how are already available. Still, in India, the manufacturers charge north of 1L for a torque converter automatic over a manual
7000plusrpm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks