Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy one today?
Yes 543 75.63%
No 175 24.37%
Voters: 718. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2020, 19:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Imagine such a car for Maruti Alto K10 money!!
Yes but imagine paying used Alto money for each service.
Nithesh_M is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 11:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

A definite yes from me.

There are days I still miss my Jetta. Over the course of 5 years owning it, it was largely reliable, with only a couple of ABS sensors and the water pump going kaput. It was reasonable to maintain and run, and didn't behave like an out of control alcoholic in between each fuel-up, and was seriously spacious, practical and fun to drive, especially after a remap.

I miss my Mumbai Goa runs with it, which only gets underlined when I have to pre-plan where I'll fuel up with the 3! Or carry proctane along or so. No such qualms with the Jetta, it wasn't finicky at all. What a lovely car she was.

Here's one of the last pics I ever took of her. They don't make them like this anymore.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-img_6870.jpg
iliketurtles is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 12:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

Votes yes.

The Jetta with its handsome looks and clean lines has always appealed to me. In fact, it was one of the cars I drooled over since its introduction in the market because I have always been a fan of VW's understated designs with good build quality. The diesel engine is also decently powerful and capable of being modded for greater output numbers. Only reservation for me would be the upkeep and maintenance costs, but otherwise, it is a sold vehicle.

I really hope that the new generation Jetta is brought in by VW at some point, even though their current focus is on SUVs primarily.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 13:37   #34
Team-BHP Support

68000 km on

One water pump,
A new EGR(blame diesel gate remap for that)
A set of engine fans (wading through water!)
Lower front arm bushes gave up in one year ( replacement ones lasted 4 times more than the original!)
Defective rear bearing cum ABS sensor - replaced under warranty
A dicky sun glass holder

- that's about it. Batteries last 3 years. One set of brake pads, disks are original.

Highly recommended but go for the later ones with more kit.

Last edited by ajmat : 6th June 2020 at 16:08.
ajmat is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 14:08   #35
BHPian

Voted YES.

I've been in love with the Jetta's side and rear view for many years. They're a beauty to behold on our roads.

Who won't give a second glance to this beauty? (taken from T-BHP's review of many moons ago):
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-vwjetta202.jpg  

JojyKerala is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 14:19   #36
BHPian

Voted Yes.

Always been a fan of Jetta & Laura. They are built to last (barring electronics).

The auto gearbox (DQ250) is a robust one & is reliable too. I am nearing the 1.4 lakh mark with the DSG clutch pack not showing any signs of weakness. However, one must ensure the ATF fluid (gearbox oil) is changed every 60,000 km. The transmission gets a whole lot smoother post the change.

Apart from issues indicated above, I would advise prospective buyers to lookout for below issues which are an expensive fix (upwards of a lakh),

1) Stay away from cars which indicate any of the below errors as it requires a replacement of ABS control module/pump. My friend’s Jetta is facing the same issue.

01130 - ABS Operation
008 - Implausible Signal

01276 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64)
014 - Defective

2) Cars throwing up the below code require ECM replacement. I have faced this issue on my Superb.

5060 - Supply Voltage for Fuel Injector Group A
P2146 00 (096) - open circuit

Having a good rapport with the authorized Service centre is a must as these cars can get tricky to diagnose at times.

Last edited by csr9 : 6th June 2020 at 14:34.
csr9 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 10:01   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely YES!
The Jetta I'd buy for its sheer looks. If there was a list compiled of timeless designs, the Jetta would get a VIP entry into it. Then there is the 2.0 TDI. Gem of an engine. Thanks to being a VWAG global platform car, the potential to mod, get more gadgets added, features unlocked / enabled / tuned would be such fun. A nice DIY friendly car.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 10:07   #38
BHPian

I have a 2014 Jetta which has run 1.5 lakh kms, which I bought new.

Seriously thinking that I should get one more used Jetta with low kms on the odo!
pavanmadhini is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 10:48   #39
BHPian

Voted YES. I have bought a pre-owned jetta about 2 years ago and the experience has been unparalleled. Being a well used example, I've had to do some preventive maintenance but I don't mind that since I bought the car for some really crazy (read inexpensive) money.

There's a lot of aftermarket support if you want to make your Jetta your own and the FNG support is there if you look hard enough. Definitely not an Alto to maintain but give it some love and it gives back in bucket loads. An absolute steal if you get a well kept example.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-img_20200605_171434.jpg
tweaker is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 11:08   #40
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

While I read all the posts from you guys and its all great - one thing on my mind is, how does one go about buying a second hand Jetta?
Yes you have a thread which is a checklist of all things to be done while buying a second hand car. But how about specific Jetta related info? The steps for buying a good Jetta would be -

1. Knowledge of the variants from the original brochure. So that one can understand the variant he is looking at and negotiate accordingly. Can someone share this?

2. Names and numbers of reliable engineers/mechanics who can accompany us during car checks

3. Any other help/leads

4. After market remap info as to where can one get stuff done and what is recommended for a car like this
Old 8th June 2020, 11:11   #41
BHPian

2.0 Diesel, Manual yes!
not so much about the rest of the variants
Old 8th June 2020, 11:11   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Voted Yes !!

First I got a 40K KMs run Jetta Comfortline TDi and drove for a year and 10K KMs. Due to the traffic and freq use of the clutch made me change my mind but Jetta is one such car which is very difficult to upgrade, so I settled with VW owned 2016 Jetta Highline AT

The car is beautiful to look at, solid diesel engine and reliable AT, what else do you need from a D1 segment sedan. The length is just perfect for the City and its a perfect balance between a comfortable and performance sedan.

Now if somebody visits this page keeping Jetta as an upgrade option, below are things which you would have to look at from maintenance angle:

1. Water pump - 10K
2. Battery - 5-6K
3. ABS sensor - 1.5K each
4. Fuel lid opener - ~ 3K
5. Door latch - ~5-8K

These are freq failures seen in Jetta/Octavia/Passat/Superb
1lac 5000 kms done and the car still drives like it did in the first year. Even after 6 years, I have never once doubted my purchase

ABS sensor has been the main issue for me. Has replaced around 6 sensors till now, but I had to pay around 4k for each( first 4 were during warranty). How do I get one for 1.5k? Could you please send me the details?

The roof internal cloth covering came off recently and I had to redo it

Another issue I have faced is with the central lock system. Sometimes, my left rear door won't lock using the key.

Other than that, when you are in the driver's seat, all these minor problems disappear
Even their brake pads are a mystery. Have replaced only once and that too only front ones. In my earlier sx4, I had to replace every 15k.
ahmed26 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 11:15   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed26 View Post
1lac 5000 kms done and the car still drives like it did in the first year. Even after 6 years, I have never once doubted my purchase

ABS sensor has been the main issue for me. Has replaced around 6 sensors till now, but I had to pay around 4k for each( first 4 were during warranty). How do I get one for 1.5k? Could you please send me the details?

The roof internal cloth covering came off recently and I had to redo it

Another issue I have faced is with the central lock system. Sometimes, my left rear door won't lock using the key.

Other than that, when you are in the driver's seat, all these minor problems disappear
Even their brake pads are a mystery. Have replaced only once and that too only front ones. In my earlier sx4, I had to replace every 15k.
I had changed ABS sensor on my manual Jetta in 2017 at a FNG and it did cost me 1200/- including labor. VW dealer had quoted 4200/- for the same.

The roof lining issue has started popping up on Tbhp nowdays. So another common issue with the quality of glue. May be our climate makes it difficult.
Old 8th June 2020, 11:19   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I had changed ABS sensor on my manual Jetta in 2017 at a FNG and it did cost me 1200/- including labor. VW dealer had quoted 4200/- for the same.

The roof lining issue has started popping up on Tbhp nowdays. So another common issue with the quality of glue. May be our climate makes it difficult.

Next ABS error, I guess I should avoid the VW dealer.
Old 8th June 2020, 12:09   #45
BHPian

When I bought the Laura TSI as an indulgent purchase, my priority list for a car was in the order:

1. Skoda Yeti 4*4
2. VW Jetta Diesel or Petrol
3. Skoda Laura TSI

Couldn't find the first two in a small budget having atleast 5 years useable life left in NCR, so went for the 3rd.I am very happy with the car but I feel had there been a Jetta 1.8TSI, there is nothing more one could ask for. 1.4 TSI with a remap is still a question mark.

Why Jetta over Laura:
1.Better build(again maybe psychological)
2.More safety features
3.Better looks(again subjective)

My answer is an emotional YES, a 110% YES would've come from not staying in NCR.
dhruvritzed is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks