Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Skoda Rapid - Base variant 638 78.96%
Any Compact Sedan - Top variant 170 21.04%
Voters: 808. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2020, 16:03   #76
BHPian

Re: Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims

As a huge self professed fan of VFM, I will for the Rapid. Maintenance is an issue but this is too good to resist !
Old 18th June 2020, 16:11   #77
BHPian

Re: Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims

The Rapid Monte Carlo edition review is up by Autocar.
Things to note -
0-100 ~10 Secs
Android based HU
9~10 kmpl mileage in the city
Old 18th June 2020, 16:17   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Actually this is the whole point of this thread. Would you take a Rapid sedan with a brilliant engine and drive or sacrifice performance and drive quality for features in a smaller car with gizmos.
Agreed, my dad had the 1st gen Octavia and I loved driving it way more than even the Ford Fiesta which he exchanged it for due to insane repair expenses.
I haven't driven the 1.0Tsi yet, but have driven Polo 1.2 MPI (not GT) which didn't feel a lot more different than any of the premium hatchbacks, maybe because of the lethargic engine. And isn't Rapid/Vento a Polo with a full sized boot?

I am all for a proper sedan with a powerful 1.6/1.8 L engine and don't really like these compact sedans with their weak 1.2 engines and have had a lot of fun driving iKon & Fiesta 1.6, Optra 1.8, Lancer of yore and do miss that era. And this car hits the ball in that direction too with its yummy engine and sorted ride and handling.

But in my opinion, the Rider variant has cut corners where I wouldn't want in a 9l car. A car is more than the sum of engine, ride and handling otherwise we enthusiasts would all driving turbo engines cars with excellent ride / handling but underspecced. Didn't 1st gen Figo get flak for missing rear power windows or current gen for missing leds, DRLs, Projectors etc despite having better ride and handling, enjoyable engine (diesel) as compared to competition.

I wouldn't mind paying 50-60k more for a proper specced car. How much would a proper power window switch, MID and steering mounted controls cost anyways? Other things can be had aftermarket anyways.

And power window switch is more of a safety risk too apart from convenience. Imagine children sitting behind or having laptop bag in rear seat and accidently window is left open. I wouldn't mind if there is no tilt/telescopic steering or rear ac vents or even auto climate control, these are feel good features. So are rear camera, touchscreen system, leather seats/ steering/ gear knob, auto wipers/lights, push button start, led lights etc.

What the marketing team has achieved is Shock and Awe and I appreciate them for this, but they have very cleverly removed features which are needed
Grease_Monkey is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 16:20   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghavEvoX View Post
Suddenly VW Polo seems to be premium pricing !!
Rapid is going to make sure the Polo TSI models doesn't sell.
That's why there is now a Limited Polo TSi Edition MT that is a lakh discounted off the Highline Plus model - only VW can come up with these dumb ideas
Old 18th June 2020, 16:34   #80
Senior - BHPian

I hope this does not end up being just on paper to bring more prospective buyers to showroom. I read that the next variant is over 2L expensive. However with typical skoda discounts and EMI, some percentage of these buyers might end up eventually picking the higher varients.
In any case, it is any day better than the sub-4m sedans running on dull 1.2 engines.
Old 18th June 2020, 16:38   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
Just sharing few concerns:
a) is the base model just a lure to get potential buyers to the showroom and then try to upsell higher variants.
b) will this be the new taxi favourite? That might kill the single owner aspirations.
Wasnt the Rapid Rider variant launched last summer starting at 6.99L, cheaper by 50k from current model?
I still did not see any skoda taxi although I travel a lot by Ola / Uber.
Old_Salt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 16:38   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
I wouldn't mind paying 50-60k more for a proper specced car. How much would a proper power window switch, MID and steering mounted controls cost anyways? Other things can be had aftermarket anyways.

And power window switch is more of a safety risk too apart from convenience. Imagine children sitting behind or having laptop bag in rear seat and accidently window is left open. I wouldn't mind if there is no tilt/telescopic steering or rear ac vents or even auto climate control, these are feel good features. So are rear camera, touchscreen system, leather seats/ steering/ gear knob, auto wipers/lights, push button start, led lights etc.

What the marketing team has achieved is Shock and Awe and I appreciate them for this, but they have very cleverly removed features which are needed
If they added the extra features, why bother with Ambition variant at all? It will be same as Ambition in specs.

Secondly, the thread and the exhaustive discussion on this Rider variant is because Skoda have priced it below Polo but still offering climate control, dual airbags, ABS, tilt/reach steering, BT audio system, auto folding ORVM's all for the same price as mid spec hatch and mid spec compact sedan.

If anyone offers everything needed in lower variants then nobody will buy a higher variant of any car.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 16:58   #83
BHPian

The Rapid gives me all that I look for in a car, so I'd undoubtedly go for it. In fact, I'm already on the lookout for buyers to sell my Polo, and eyeing to buy the Rider variant. Leaving the electronic gizmos that are flaunted by many manufacturers of today, I clearly prioritize the solid build quality and safety of VAG cars given the number of long drives I do with my family. Yes, Skoda in India and specifically in Chennai is notoriously famous for their pathetic A$$. But, that's something I'm ready to live with. Sub 10 lakhs - I don't think there's any other proper sedan in today's market that can compete on the factors that I personally look for.
vw19d is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 17:06   #84
BHPian

voted for "Compact Sedan" despite owning a VW Vento 1.6 TDI. Yes, the value proposition is tempting for Rapid TSI Base model, but the sheer lethargy and lack of proper after sales support by VW group as a whole does not make this a sweet deal but rather leaves a sour taste. the product is great but let down by atrocious after sales. i have drive my vento for 175k kms and it is still going strong, but will not be buying on recommending another vw group vehicle for sure.
Old 18th June 2020, 17:49   #85
BHPian

Voted compact sedan. Going by the typical mindset of middle income group that this question is targeted to, they are not looking at bells and whistles- rather a car that can carry people from point A to Point B, spend minimum amount on maintenance and spares that don’t pinch the pocket much

That being said, what Skoda has done is, to take away the difference between the different classes. This strategy might work great if they tighten the service aspects.
Old 18th June 2020, 18:31   #86
BHPian

Ditto. My thoughts keeping a budget of 2 lakhs for scams fund.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The amount saved compared to the top-end version can probably be used towards 'Skoda service scams rescue fund'.
Old 18th June 2020, 18:41   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease_Monkey View Post
And isn't Rapid/Vento a Polo with a full sized boot?
Nope, that is the Ameo. The Rapid is bigger than that. Which matters when you look at space in the back seat. And it is slightly wider as well.
Old 18th June 2020, 18:49   #88
BHPian

Also Rapid has more rear space compared to Vento which has more boot space, for the same size of the car.This was told to me by the SA when I took the test drive for Rapid last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Nope, that is the Ameo. The Rapid is bigger than that. Which matters when you look at space in the back seat. And it is slightly wider as well.
Old 18th June 2020, 18:54   #89
pms
BHPian

Voted for Top Trim Compact Sedan. Along with performance, features are also equally important and you start feeling it when you spent more & more time in your car. Plus its difficult to accept that sub 4 meter sedans and premium hatch backs has more aspiring features than bare bones full sized sedan.
Old 18th June 2020, 19:36   #90
BHPian

Voted for Rapid.

1. It’s FTD car in it’s own segment and only comparable compact sedan on FTD front is Ford Aspire with 1.2 Ltr NA engine. Obviously Rapid is superior.
2. This group is matured in design and manufacturing of gasoline GDI engine as compared to Hyundai, Tata, and Mahindra in similar price range.
3. A car/design is about optimisation/compromise and the ones in sedan are superior than in compact sedan resulting in better overall experience. Compact sedan is a stretched hatchback whereas Rapid is proper sedan.
swapnil.awate is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks