Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2021, 09:15   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I feel rather than Toyota India offering such gaudy chrome kits / body claddings as accessories on the Hilux, they should offer the real Hilux-worthy accessories like available in the Australian market!
True. Never have I had the irresistible urge to modify/ customise a factory product. Now I understand the owners who straight away take their vehicle to the shop.

Can't really pinpoint what it is. I always prefer silver alloys to the diamond cut finished ones, but in this case the alloys+the tyres feel undertyred, more so thanks to the flared fenders and ride height. The roll bar looks generic compared to the one that the Hilux V6 gets, and the side stripes looks after-marketish.

It kinda looks like someone tried to turn the workhorse model into a lifestyle model on a tight budget.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 10:10   #137
Team-BHP Support

To best of my knowledge, their small car plant can not be converted to MUV/ SUV. So, adding this product to Fortuner/ Innova range when the demand of both of these is very good looks like a strategic decision to create even more scarcity of the two of the fast sellers.

Given the limited competition Fortuner now gets and a firm Innova customer base, this will not only bring in the higher profits via the new launch but also Toyota can increase their margins on the other two products. I have seen this thing happening recently, with a product that we deal. Expansion of portfolio even when the production lines are not able to meet demand of the existing product line. Not only can the manufacturer price the products higher but also with sustained demand can convince board to invest more for future.
Turbanator is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 10:47   #138
Senior - BHPian

Both Innova and Fortuner are supposed to receive one more price hike in Jan. I am worried, Fortuner is now moving to an even higher segment and Hilux will take its place above Crysta.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 14:26   #139
Senior - BHPian

The Hilux is a poplular brand name. I expect nothing but it to be priced around 30 lacs or higher. They probably jacked up the Fortuner prices to accomodate the Hilux in between the Innova and the Fortuner.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 20th December 2021 at 14:34.
Old 20th December 2021, 14:27   #140
BHPian

The front end of the car resembles more Innova. I am sure if they price it right, volumes will speak for themselves. Waiting for the launch and pricing. Fingers crossed
Old 20th December 2021, 16:04   #141
Senior - BHPian

Glad to see that yet another word class product is being added to the Indian car scene.

I think the totally absurd pricing of the facelifted Isuzu V-max is what gave the HiLux a greenlight. When Isuzu charged their lifestyle pickup 30 big ones, Toyota immediately identified an opportunity to make fat margins by selling a product that has so many parts in common with the other two money cows. Plus the thought process: if Isuzu can ask 30 lakhs we can surely ask...

I would be surprised if they price it below 40 L. Just my 2 cents.
sandeepmdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 16:17   #142
BHPian

Hilux is priced slightly high in the international market as it is a built to last product and can take a lot of abuse.

If it is is brought to India in a CBU format, it will become a premium product due to pricing without any of the features. Highly unlikely Toyota will find many takers at 40L pricing.
Old 20th December 2021, 17:20   #143
BHPian

Spoke to my contact at TKML. Some insights;

1) Hilux is going to be launched in the next few months.
2) Will be a CKD. The plan is to share as many parts with the Fortuner. They planned for minimum changes from the Fortuner parts family.
3) Will have the same cabin/interiors as the Fortuner.
4) It will come with a different rear suspension setup.
5) Will have drum brakes in the rear as compared to the disc brakes in the Fortuner.
6) I Will have a slightly smaller diff on the rear axle.

He wasn't sure of the pricing and he himself is hoping for a good price, something TKML is not normally known for.
anandseth01 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 17:25   #144
Senior - BHPian

Only thing that's prolonging Isuzu's death now is how far Toyota stretches their usual greedy pricing.
Old 20th December 2021, 19:48   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Saw the Hilux at Cybercity Gurgaon a while back.
Even though I am certain that Toyota will grossly overprice it and the Hilux is a vehicle which is of little significance to the majority of the Indian Car buying population if it does launch I'm still very happy to see at least a real blue-blooded Toyota arriving on our shores. How much I wish that the Japanese giants Honda and Toyota tighten their buckles and come all guns blazing with some groundbreaking cars with that typical Japanese finesse and teach a thing or two = about Quality Control to other OEMs which have been giving a slack in QC .
Tony2298 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 22:10   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Only thing that's prolonging Isuzu's death now is how far Toyota stretches their usual greedy pricing.
Checked out Isuzu over the weekend put on display in a mall. The moment I asked about Hilux being launched and they will be finished then, his exact point was it will not come cheap which will eventually make V-Cross look more affordable and they will have more space to play around with more features and increase in price.

He also said that Isuzu is ready to launch the Current International model, it's just they are waiting for the launch of Hilux and checking the response. However, I took this with a pinch of salt.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 23:11   #147
BHPian

Thank God, Toyota didn't launch Hilux as a rebaged version of Suzuki Super Carry truck.
Storm2.0 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 23:33   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandseth01 View Post
2) Will be a CKD
For sure. No way Toyota Thailand is going to allow anything more than assembly for the Hilux.

Quote:
4) It will come with a different rear suspension setup.for.
Different as in?

Different from the Fortuner? Obvious.

Different from the existing Hilux? Highly unlikely.

Quote:
6) I Will have a slightly smaller diff on the rear axle.
This, and the overall look of the model used in the ad shooting makes it look like we are getting a dressed up version of the cheaper version and not a Fortuner equivalent. Hope it reflects in the prices too.
Old 21st December 2021, 13:55   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

Different as in?

Different from the Fortuner? Obvious.
Yes, he was sharing the differences as compared to the Fortuner.
anandseth01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 18:47   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Off topic. What is it with the early ML class being the favourite camera car??? Read that the ML63 AMG was a favourite for shooting chase scenes and all, but shooting in India, they are still using an ML? Or part of the camera crew package?
Well, it’s a reliable engine but they would be better of with a 350d instead of AMG but still if it’s kept well maintained could last an eternity. These crews aren’t from around here and use all sorts of luxury SUVs they can get their hands on, have seen Porsche Cayenne being used frequently as a camera car and the Discovery but there would be some other factors too cause if they just wanted ruggedness and reliability they would’ve used another Toyota.

Last edited by Mat095 : 21st December 2021 at 18:50.
Mat095 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks