Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2021, 18:14   #106
BHPian

re: Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed

This is good news for the new Isuzu V-cross. The Hilux is surely going to be priced at fortuner territory that the V-cross , which currently seems overpriced would suddenly become a value for money purchase.
nettooran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 19:18   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
This is good news for the new Isuzu V-cross. The Hilux is surely going to be priced at fortuner territory that the V-cross , which currently seems overpriced would suddenly become a value for money purchase.
Don't think so, the brand value of "Hilux" is so great that people will lineup to get it. Moreover V-cross is being marketed as lifestyle pickup however have you seen the interior and features? At that price point I think they will invest more and get the Hilux.
Black_Star is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 20:16   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Star View Post
Don't think so, the brand value of "Hilux" is so great that people will lineup to get it. Moreover V-cross is being marketed as lifestyle pickup however have you seen the interior and features? At that price point I think they will invest more and get the Hilux.
Maybe, but this is my 2 cents ..

leaving aside bhpians(enthusiasts), the lifestyle vehicle market is unknown to many. Isuzu is not doing any special marketing to introduce the car to the mass. When Toyoto launches Hilux, the awareness is going to expand because, 1) People know toyota and they get familiar with their new cars. 2) Toyota is going to run a marketing campaign when they lauch Hilux.

At that point of time, when people start considering lifestyle vehicles, they find Hilux to be unreachable and then turn to V-cross.

I may be wrong, but lets wait and watch
nettooran is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 20:54   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
Maybe, but this is my 2 cents ..

..... When Toyoto launches Hilux, the awareness is going to expand because, 1) People know toyota and they get familiar with their new cars. 2) Toyota is going to run a marketing campaign when they lauch Hilux.

At that point of time, when people start considering lifestyle vehicles, they find Hilux to be unreachable and then turn to V-cross.

A very similar situation prevailed when Maruti Swift was launched. The concept of a premium hatch was not in the people's radar till then and the two premium hatches available in the market (Fiat Palio and Hyundai Getz) were having hell of a tough time proving their relevance. Both cars were widely seen as incredibly overpriced and outright stupid products.

While the Swift did not alter the sales figures of these two early birds substantially, what it did was altering the people's mindset and that too so drastically. Now no one questions even the Mini Cooper.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 1st December 2021 at 21:00.
sandeepmdas is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 10:50   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Cool, so they are going to assemble it here.

More engine options mean it is not going to be placed at Fortuner levels with just a top variant. Toyota is definitely going at the throat of Isuzu. Poor Isuzu.

As you said in the post you linked I hope Toyota don't go for their usual strategy of "Overprice it by 8 lakhs, the Indians will buy them anyway".

If Toyota does launch the entry level double cab Hilux models at V-Cross prices then it's virtually GameOver for Isuzu, whatever little sales they have of the V-Cross will drop down to the single digits or even completely vanish.

Isuzu can only hope and pray that Toyota don't launch a commercial truck to compete with the Izusu D-Max S-Cab. If a Single cab, commercial Hilux is released then I can see both prospective Isuzu S-Cab buyers switch to Toyota as well as a few people who were going for the Bolero Pickup coughing up the extra few lakh for the shiny Toyota.

My parents are building a farm as we speak and the Bolero Pik-Up (around 10 lakh OTR Bengaluru) is our current top pick for a farm transport vehicle but I'm 100% sure that if there is a Commercial Hilux within 15lakh OTR my parents are dropping the Bolero immediately and going for the Hilux.

I mean with how much they praise and love our 2011 Innova and Toyota as a brand I wouldn't be surprised if they spend the extra money for a full fat Double cab Hilux .

I personally wouldn't mind paying 30lakh for a full loaded top trim "Tonka Truck" of a Hilux with all the Gizmos (Winch, bash plate, raised height, chunky tyres, premium HU etc) but I want the base models to be V-Cross levels in terms of price.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 12:28   #111
Senior - BHPian

I would prefer the Rav-4 & it's variants over the lifestyle pickup. The Rav-4 should sell faster & encourage Global Toyota to introduce more vehicles from Global portfolio which can reinforce it's executive image. Launching this would only help get some eyeballs & smaller numbers at best. But, as a manufacturer it could help Toyota India if it is made in India, as it shares platform with Innova & Fortuner.
Old 2nd December 2021, 13:06   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Hilux spotted before its launch:

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-toyotahiluxspied1043x1200.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 13:46   #113
Senior - BHPian

ACI reports Hilux due to Jan 2022 launch

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...january-422790
Old 2nd December 2021, 14:25   #114
BHPian

Better late than never. Toyota was selling the Hiux for decades in Nepal and Bhutan. These cars were being driven via India and now Toyota has woken up from its slumber. If the prices are reasonable, then they have another bread and butter model after Fortuner and Innova Crysta in India.
jithin23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 14:31   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Toyota Hilux spotted before its launch:

Attachment 2240187

Link
A similar truck carrying another set of Toyota Hilux was spotted, but these are most likely not for India! In India cars yet to be launched will never arrive uncamouflaged and on these kind of trucks, most likely these Hiluxes are headed for either Bhutan or Nepal.

Exact same spec of Hilux which is on the truck, is present on Toyota Nepal's website.

https://www.toyota.com.np/en/models/hilux.html

CEF_Beasts is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 23:18   #116
BHPian

I highly doubt if the CBU will sell in decent volumes. Pick up truck enthusiasts do have the Isuzu V Max which I believe would be much cheaper compared to the Hilux. Hopefully it doesn’t become another failed strategy. With our tax policies, even enthusiasts might stay away because of pricing.
Old 3rd December 2021, 00:57   #117
BHPian

The Hilux sold in Nepal seems to be lacking in features (like cruise control, auto-dimming IRVM etc.) and i think we'll get a more feature loaded version in India considering the price backet Toyota is looking to launch in, 25-35 lakhs as per Autocar.

Some things do stand out about the Nepali Hilux though like it weights almost 3 tons! and the ground clearance (unladen) is rated at 310mm! This would be an absolute behemoth on the road for sure.
The turning radius is expected for a vehicle of this size and is same for the V-cross i think.

I don't think it will make V-cross look VFM (despite it being so) or increase it's sales as Toyota has more touch points and better service reach + the people's blind trust. In both Innova and Fortuner segments, more VFM offerings have failed to dent their sales, and i suppose it's gonna be same for Hilux (lifestyle category) as well. I hope it's a success and it prompts other manufacturers to bring their global products as well as Toyota to bring Rav4, 4Runner and the likes.

Edit: The chrome at the front and back is just gaudy and could do with more subtlety.

Last edited by Doonite : 3rd December 2021 at 01:09. Reason: Additional bits
Old 3rd December 2021, 08:59   #118
BHPian

Hilux Jan end or early Feb launch is pretty confirmed according to my friend who works at Toyota. I will try to get the clarification on the CBU/locally assembled info when I meet him tomorrow.
sunilg33 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 18:39   #119
Senior - BHPian

It costs around 36-40 lac in nepal. Now toyota has to add the "what did i smoke" price to their indian model, so its going to be close to the fortuner folks.

At that price its Dead on arrival.

Maddy
Old 3rd December 2021, 19:28   #120
Team-BHP Support

I will be very surprised if this vehicle actually is launched anytime soon. Toyota is not Mercedes who will launch a CBU to remain in the media.

Their line for Innova and Fortuner is always booked and the availability of a lot of components is still an issue. Isuzus V cross is almost dead now after they increased the prices and there’s no way Toyota can price it lower than Isuzu.

AutoCar has been wrong on many occasions in the past too, will like to see some more information before believing them as there doesn’t seem to be a business case for this product in my opinion.
Turbanator is online now   (16) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks