Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2022, 20:02   #241
BHPian

re: Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed

A richer life indeed. Anything that Toyota launches has to fall in that category in India. I for one cant imagine plonking 40 big lakhs on this.

I am sorry, I prefer to lead a poorer life.

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2022 at 08:27. Reason: Poorly Typed Posts
nairanupg is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 23:12   #242
BHPian

I can only hope for a sub 20 lakh on-road price for the base model at least.
Old 14th January 2022, 00:32   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinhardt93 View Post
One can get base petrol variants of the Innova just under 20L, there is no way the Hilux will be priced sub 20 Lakh that too the on-road price!!

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross costs: 22.02L to 25.54L ex-showroom. Yes the Highlander variant is cheaper at 19.02L ex-showroom but it’s barebones compared to the regular V-Cross. In comparison Hilux is getting only a fully loaded trim at launch, no base/lower variants. And being Toyota they are going to charge some premium over the V-Cross. Isuzu’s top end variant is 29.xxL on-road after today’s price hike.

The Innova Crysta 2.4 ZX AT tops out at 25.32L ex-showroom. Fortuner’s Diesel 4X2 MT starts at 33.89L ex-showroom. Hilux is going to be somewhere in between.

If the FAQ is absolutely true, then I’m expecting a ex-showroom price similar to the Jeep Compass:
Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-1bc02662a1014b4994dd80baf8ad07d8.jpeg

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 14th January 2022 at 00:46.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 00:50   #244
VND
BHPian

Somehow my intuition says that Toyota will go crazy with this, it will be placed between Innova and Fortuner.

That saying the prices can be expected around 30L ex showroom - just Toyota being Toyota!
Old 14th January 2022, 01:39   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
One can get base petrol variants of the Innova just under 20L, there is no way the Hilux will be priced sub 20 Lakh that too the on-road price!!

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross costs: 22.02L to 25.54L ex-showroom. Yes the Highlander variant is cheaper at 19.02L ex-showroom but it’s barebones compared to the regular V-Cross. In comparison Hilux is getting only a fully loaded trim at launch, no base/lower variants. And being Toyota they are going to charge some premium over the V-Cross. Isuzu’s top end variant is 29.xxL on-road after today’s price hike.

The Innova Crysta 2.4 ZX AT tops out at 25.32L ex-showroom. Fortuner’s Diesel 4X2 MT starts at 33.89L ex-showroom. Hilux is going to be somewhere in between.

If the FAQ is absolutely true, then I’m expecting a ex-showroom price similar to the Jeep Compass:
Attachment 2259613

I see your point. It does make sense considering that Isuzu has again increased the prices of the V-Cross. Toyota will surely price it a premium to the Isuzu. We'll just have to wait and see what happens on the 20th.
reinhardt93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 02:19   #246
BHPian

Hilux has a long legacy and is one of the most popular models from Toyota. They sell more than half a million Hilux each year. Given the durability and abuse friendly nature, I am looking forward to see these on our roads.

Pricing would be tricky, “premium” generally doesn’t bode well with “pick-up”.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 14th January 2022 at 02:21.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 12:03   #247
Senior - BHPian

New Teaser of Toyota Hilux

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-smartselect_20220114120417_twitter.jpg

Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-smartselect_20220114120437_twitter.jpg

Name:  SmartSelect_20220114120511_Twitter.gif
Views: 1208
Size:  5.61 MB

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 14th January 2022 at 12:05.
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 12:13   #248
BHPian

With launch of Hilux, I think VCross will also get some traction in market which has negligible presence as of today. Marketing of lifestyle vehicles by Toyota (which Isuzu doesn’t do) will help this segment overall to garner more sales. Just my opinion.
FiatDiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 12:46   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Given the durability and abuse friendly nature, I am looking forward to see these on our roads.
It is a 5.35 meter vehicle, and given it will target the lifestyle segment who will not use it for its luggage carrying capacity, most of the 5.35 meters will remain unused.

No offence to Toyota fanboys but is it wrong if i say that I for one will not be looking forward to such a huge, mostly empty vehicle crowding our already crowded roads. Up North, with the kind of crowd that is mostly synonomous with Toyota SUVs, this can quickly become the poster child of reckless abandon

Last edited by achyutaghosh : 14th January 2022 at 12:52.
achyutaghosh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 14:47   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinhardt93 View Post
Possible. But they would have to bring the single cab workhorse version with the 2.4l engine to price it below 20 lakhs. Actually the normal workhorse model could be sold here in both single/double cab versions under 20 lakhs. But then, why? When you have juicy profits with the lifestyle version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
It is a 5.35 meter vehicle, and given it will target the lifestyle segment who will not use it for its luggage carrying capacity, most of the 5.35 meters will remain unused.

No offence to Toyota fanboys but is it wrong if i say that I for one will not be looking forward to such a huge, mostly empty vehicle crowding our already crowded roads. Up North, with the kind of crowd that is mostly synonomous with Toyota SUVs, this can quickly become the poster child of reckless abandon
Well.

The government already punishes those who indulge in 4 metre plus long vehicles.

Look it this way. A person uses a Honda Jazz (a favourite of mine and a good example of max space utilisation) for commuting. Single occupant user. The rear seats may see usage maybe once a year and bootspace may have never been used, let alone folding the rear seats. But under 4m length and sub-1200cc engine. Good books.

The Hilux may be used by a family, who may have monthly estate/farm uses/ non existent road uses and it can possibly carry the Jazz's kerb weight on its load bed, while carrying 5 passengers in comfort. But slapped with the highest possible tax rate in the land, by virtue of its length and engine size.

Symbol of reckless abandon?. Depends on many things. Horse, Jeep, Bullet, Ambassador, Omni, 2 stroke bikes, Gypsy, Sierra, Sumo, Scorpio, Fortuner. Anything could be a symbol of reckless abandon for our country.

The same Indians who would say pickups are a waste of space and should have usable space(seats) would turn their nose up at vans/MPVs. We could also go into the urbanist slippery slope of 10 cars=100 bikes =3 buses = one tram argument regarding precious public space. Decades of small car usage and the sub 4m rules didn't bring respite to our congestion. So it is clearly not vehicle size that is causing it.

Last edited by DicKy : 14th January 2022 at 14:51.
DicKy is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 15:09   #251
MMV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post

Attachment 2259613
This seems logical, also Toyota is going for CKD route (with limited part sharing with Fortuner) as mentioned in this forum. In that scenario they will price it mid way between 2 Hilux platform based models already in India and at a sniffing distance of Compass. In case they decide to localise parts (sharing with Fortuner), may be after witnessing good volumes, they will launch a mid/lower variant at attractive pricing.

But this is just wishful thinking, unless Toyota does something unlike Toyota (in pricing of cars in India)
MMV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 15:25   #252
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I was wondering the truck resembles someone from Toyota family from the side profile and it appears like it is reminiscent to the Crysta’s fascia - especially the radiator grille and the air dam!
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Hilux pickup | EDIT: Bookings now closed-786e1a9fbc0a40e6927480dc478a68c0.jpeg  

Last edited by gururajrv : 14th January 2022 at 15:26.
gururajrv is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 16:41   #253
BHPian

A Toyota source has informed me pricing is expected to be around 25 lacs ex showroom.
manishk123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 19:28   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Unfortunately size is too big. This size cars will not fit into our standard parking lots / space we have in India. My parking (its parallel to our society wall) is big enough but fitting this car means car behind me and in front of me will have definite problem

This is one of the reasons why such vehicles are not so popular in India. Parking is a big issue. Finding parking for such a huge car is really tough in our crowded streets.

Toyota will launch this around 35 Lacs is my guess. Let's see if Toyota price it more than this and surprise us
Old 14th January 2022, 20:52   #255

Off topic: The other day I saw a Maruti Omni packed with 2 dirt bikes in our highway and I really thought that it was a good idea. I now think eeco or a winger might be a better transport option for someone's passion like dirt bikes / karts / track rides etc. Of course Omni / eeco are not ideal for remote off road farm / other usages. The weather protection, privacy are some of the advantages. Also I would be paranoid about parking a pickup with my tools, or things, open to others.

I do have a crush on pickup trucks, even though my mind says that they are not logical, here. I am sure Toyota Hilux would be a great lifestyle vehicle choice, for those who can afford it.
Unstuck is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks