Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 22:06   #946
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

For those who have removed the films, please wax and shine your windows. The mirror finish will also shine lights off the surface from the sun in day time and street and headlights at night. I will strive to achieve the maximum shine and try to blind whoever is watching.

Edit: There is no ban on hanging curtains while being parked. Actually it might work better than sumfilm providing better deterrance. So does a new industry spring up? And has anyone heard of color wax anywhere which adds a color tint to the glass?

Last edited by GTO : 8th May 2012 at 13:15. Reason: As requested
optimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 22:42   #947
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
For those who have removed the films, please wax and shine your windows. The mirror finish will also shine lights off the surface from the sun in day time and street and headlights at night.
I have a feeling that wax polish could create other problems in the night, like light sources viewed through windows may have a halo, with split and scattered the light on the glass surface (making it difficult to see properly).
Old 7th May 2012, 22:45   #948
BHPian

Hey folks, below are the screen shots of the brochure of some of the popular cars. All of these seems to have fatory fitted tints.

New Wagon R
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-wagonr.jpg

New Swift
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-swift.jpg

Polo
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-polo.jpg

Jazz
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-jazz.jpg

We have owned 1999 manufactured M800 which had factory fitted green tinted glasses and could easily be seen. At present we also own WagonR K10 and Swift ZDI but glasses seem to be crystal clear. What say guys??

Last edited by beast_within : 7th May 2012 at 22:47. Reason: Typo
Old 7th May 2012, 22:45   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I have a feeling that wax polish could create other problems in the night, like light sources viewed through windows may have a halo, with split and scattered the light on the glass surface (making it difficult to see properly).
I have done it much earlier on the side windows. Did not find any difference while the outside glitters The coating will be way too thin for dispersing light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Also in US, the skin cancer occurs towards the driving side of the infected patients as that part allow UV rays easily.
by any way can this fact be considered a definite threat to health translating to a bigger interest for the society in general which suprasses the deemed benifit by banning the tints ? I for one have noticed that my knuckles have softened from rough black to soft white due to reduced exposure to sun in 3 months after giving up bike riding. Avoiding sun also helps if someone has a family history of skin problem. This decision has taken away the right to good health.

Last edited by optimist : 7th May 2012 at 23:04.
Old 7th May 2012, 23:06   #950
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
Does anyone feel something fishy on the issue or am I the only one?

See no one has moved the courts with an appeal after all these days nor has the Sun-film manufacturers given much media releases on the issue. I tried mailing some manufactures about the issue, But no responses yet. What can all that mean now?
This was on that facebook page that claimed that manufacturers are filing a PIL, All those who want... | Facebook

Quote:
All those who want to know about the Manufactures update... Here is their point of view :-

The executives with whom we are in contact told us, That all companies have decided not to appeal against for at least more 1-2 weeks.. Because they are earning Rs. 200-Rs.500 firstly from every car for removing tints.. Secondly they think that if time prolongs maximum people will remove the tints.. so More they will earn when the petition gets a stay and tinting starts again...!!

Incredible India..!! HUH
Seems like everything is a scam! I can't keep my cars parked for ever.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 23:16   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Seems like everything is a scam! I can't keep my cars parked for ever.
What is the fine amount if your car is stopped with the tint on? If it is substantially less then the amount it takes to put it back, I think people (especially those with light tints) can take chance and differ removing the tint.
Old 8th May 2012, 00:00   #952
BHPian

Quote:
What is the fine amount if your car is stopped with the tint on? If it is substantially less then the amount it takes to put it back, I think people (especially those with light tints) can take chance and differ removing the tint.
Not a good idea. remember they have modern tracking devices now and once they have a first time offence registered if you are caught a second time the penalty is much higher. But I doubt that they will let you go away scotfree without harming the tints in the first place. Just not worth the hassel or impounding of the car. The lopsided system is much stronger than the total of muscles+guts in your body. :(
Old 8th May 2012, 00:02   #953
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Economics

Fine = 100 (in delhi)/ 1000 (gurgaon) - I drive in both
Cost of replacement = 10000
Collateral damage = Defogger / antenna/ sun-burns

So then I'll be incurring a cost of 300 per day by not using my diesel car and run my film free petrols.

Bottom line, what I'd lose is not a life threatening, just a slight decrease in my comfort (quality of life) and in this country, a minority (read the middle class/ upper class) can afford this comfort AND that is itself not considered to be in in public interest!

BTW, going by the trend diesels might be banned any-day! Will start with Delhi and then spread to all large cities.
Old 8th May 2012, 00:44   #954
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE: Today went from dwarka, to pitampura via raja garden and mayapuri in morning, no cop activity on whole route regarding films.

In evening went from dwarka to meera bagh via janakpuri, tilak nagar, and after that to rajouri garden and back, no cop activity again on the whole route.

Looks like, they aren't much active in west delhi, well it's good for me, as i can continue with my films for more time

Sameer
Old 8th May 2012, 01:05   #955
BHPian

I was doing a research on tinted windows. Most countries allow tint of up to 30%. I think that is ok. In some gulf nations, tint is banned. I don't know why so many of us are surprised by this law when it has been in place for quite some time. For those who have more than 30% tint, tear it down and replace with RTO approved tints. I have them. As for the front windshield, we are lucky that in India we can have a small level of tint. In many countries, the front tint is limited to the top 5-6 inches of the windshield.
All things said and done, it is a directive from the Supreme Court, one that we have to follow. Actually this rule makes more sense than the seat belt rule. So at least without dark tints, the cops can now check for drivers not wearing belts clearer!

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 8th May 2012, 08:54   #956
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
....Actually this rule makes more sense than the seat belt rule. So at least without dark tints, the cops can now check for drivers not wearing belts clearer!
I beg to differ. Also, stats show that the bulk of accidents occur under 5km of home. The only place I may not wear belts is when inside the IIT Campus.
Old 8th May 2012, 09:04   #957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As for the front windshield, we are lucky that in India we can have a small level of tint. In many countries, the front tint is limited to the top 5-6 inches of the windshield.
In those countries that you refer to, they dont drive with high-beam. Either following you or coming from the opposite direction.

And I dont think the people are are so impolite to be oogling at women sitting inside cars. (Or outside)

And those countries have rules that are made logically, taking all aspects into consideration, often with public input. Expert committees are involved before decisions are made.

And those countries have people who follow far more % of rules too .. Rules that are practical, and useful to the people who have to follow the rules.

Last edited by condor : 8th May 2012 at 09:05.
condor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 09:06   #958
Senior - BHPian

Its quite apparent now that this law has been passed as a combined effort of the sunfilm manufacturers, accessory dealers, car dealers and all related. They'd earn anything between 200-500 for the sun film removal and once the law is amended, people would rush to install sunfims once again, when these products would be sold at a premium (higher cost).

What a culmination of a vicious sequence!

I would recommend people NOT to remove sunfilms but to wait and watch. If necessary, use public transport or your old trustworthy vehicle. THIS LAW WOULD BE AMENDED - That's for sure! Sometime or later when the sunfilm industry is affected, they would react.

This may take time as their existing stock would not rot but because most dealers stock such products on credit and when the sunfilm sale reduces to zero, they would not be in a position to pay back to the sunfilm companies for the stock they obtained - hence there would be a reaction. Just wait and watch!

In fact, I'm sure their people are watching this forum as well, in disguise!
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 09:19   #959
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For those who have more than 30% tint, tear it down and replace with RTO approved tints. I have them.
Rohan, as per my understanding of the SC order, you cannot have ANY externally applied sunfilm, even if falls within the 30% criteria. The 30% permissible limit now only applies if it comes factory fitted from car manufacturer. So the film you refer to on your car - if it has been externally applied by you then it is illegal per the SC order regardless of the fact that it is within the 30% RTO rulebook.

I just installed (in March / April) V Kools within the RTO permitted limit (the bill in fact specifically states within RTO rules). Spent 21K so a little miffed at this development as well. However, if this SC ruling stays on and is not reversed, reconsidered or otherwise injuncted, I will have to consider removing these sunfilms, it is irrelevant that I just applied them.

Personally, I would favour permitting the after market installation of sun film within permissible limits. If there are security concerns on visibility, alter the VLT figures further to provide a little more trasparency. I simply don't see the sense in this blanket ban.

The rogues will continue to get away with cars with flouting the law and retaining their darker films while the women the SC is trying to protect will now be even more visible while driving at night and generally to the ogglers around.
Old 8th May 2012, 09:28   #960
BHPian

Quote:
In some gulf nations, tint is banned.
Where petrol is cheaper than water and the gas guzzlers have mammoth AC compressors that freezes the occupants even when the outside temp is 50degC. We are not so fortunate.

Quote:
For those who have more than 30% tint, tear it down and replace with RTO approved tints.
The order says no film whatsoever,right?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks