Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 09:27   #466

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

And that is not all folks! I'm reproducing some parts of the judgement which shall affect people in more ways than originally thought!
These are:
1. VIPs are exempt as they can still get permissions for tinted glasses ( Para 24)
2. As per judgement, you cannot paste anything on the screens, which would then include stickers of Housing complexes and societies, or even stickers of clubs you are members of. (Para 26)

God only knows what they were thinking!

Part of the judgement reproduced below:

24. Another issue that has been raised in the present Writ

Petition is that certain VIPs/VVIPs are using black films on

their vehicles for security reasons. Even this practice is not

supported by law, as no notification by the competent

authority has been brought to our notice, giving exemption to

such vehicles from the operation of Rule 100 or any of its

provisions. Be that as it may, we do not wish to enter upon

the arena of the security and safety measures when the police

department and Home Ministry consider such exemption

appropriate. The cases of the persons who have been

provided with Z and Z+ security category may be considered

by a Committee consisting of the Director General of

Police/Commissioner of Police of the concerned State and the

Home Secretary of that State/Centre. It will be for that

Committee to examine such cases for grant of exemption in

accordance with law and upon due application of mind.

These certificates should be provided only in relation to official

cars of VIPs/VVIPs, depending upon the category of security

that such person has been awarded by the competent

authority. The appropriate government is free to make any

regulations that it may consider appropriate in this regard.

25. The competent officer of the traffic police or any other

authorized person shall challan such vehicles for violating

Rules 92 and 100 of the Rules with effect from the specified

date and thereupon shall also remove the black films from the

offending vehicles.

26. The manufacturer of the vehicle may manufacture the

vehicles with tinted glasses which have Visual Light

Transmission (VLT) of safety glasses windscreen (front and

rear) as 70 per cent VLT and side glasses as 40 per cent VLT,

respectively. No black film or any other material can be

pasted on the windscreens and side glasses of a vehicle.

27. For the reasons afore-stated, we prohibit the use of black

films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the

safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of

all vehicles throughout the country. The Home Secretary,

Director General/Commissioner of Police of the respective

States/Centre shall ensure compliance with this direction.

The directions contained in this judgment shall become

operative and enforceable with effect from 4 th May, 2012.
Old 4th May 2012, 09:36   #467
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Just drove to office, Could see no cops anywhere. Cars still jumping signals and sun films on govt vehicles also seen. No Change for the moment i guess in Mumbai.
Old 4th May 2012, 09:41   #468
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post

Thanks, will we careful. However, I do not have 30%, I have legal 70% added on my Stock Beat's 70% (which I wasn't aware of) making it 49% I guess?
This may be the reason for the judgement. When the courts decide they use a very wide brush / sledge-hammer, often coloured by what they hear during the arguments. Remember their lordships are by and large not technical people.
Old 4th May 2012, 09:49   #469
BHPian

I think police will start challaning once their systems have been updated with "No tinting" challan. Once thats done they'll be stopping each and every car on the road. Yet to see some clarity in Bengaluru regarding this.
Old 4th May 2012, 09:51   #470
BHPian

Update from Delhi - Drove to Gurgaon Cyber City from Janakpuri and I saw a couple of cops but no car was stopped for the tints. So far so good
Old 4th May 2012, 09:52   #471
BHPian

Here's the Judgement of the Supreme Court in full.

Mods if this was already posted, Pardon me and please do remove the post.
Attached Files
File Type: doc CMVR Supreme Court Judgement.doc (78.0 KB, 433 views)

Last edited by jalex77 : 4th May 2012 at 09:54. Reason: additions
jalex77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 09:55   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I plan to take my Fiesta tomorrow, which has a lighter shade of sun film when compared to my Santro. Guys, wish me luck. Any other Chennaiite trying his luck tomorrow?
I have CR70 in front and back and CR50 on sides of my linea. I amhere for company . Even today there is no report in TOI chennai edition about such order. It is in one way good. These Maamu's will not know anything
Old 4th May 2012, 09:59   #473
BHPian

Saw lot of cars with sunfilm in ORR bangalore today morning. Traffic police is there as usual controlling the traffic.
Dont think the rule is into effect in Bangalore till now
Old 4th May 2012, 10:12   #474
BHPian

I dont think they will start apprehending violators just like that from morning today, But if someone has installed sun control films on his car, He is bound to get caught anytime soon.

The only hope for any difference is if someone files an appeal against the order at the Full bench and the order of the Division bench is stayed. Maybe till then people can save themselves by keeping their cars parked and use a two wheeler or public transport to commute.

Last edited by jalex77 : 4th May 2012 at 10:13. Reason: correction
Old 4th May 2012, 10:24   #475
BHPian

My colleague told me that the cops were stopping a lot of private cars opposite Shopper's stop, Bannerghatta road. He says he's neither seen cops there before nor is there any signal, so it has to be for the tints! He is not 100% sure though as he was in the company cab. Anyone with any updates?
Old 4th May 2012, 10:25   #476
Senior - BHPian

I cant understand how the crime rate would slump with this new move by SC! With all respects to our Honble SC, I somehow don't think it is a very practical thing to do. Some clarity on this from their side and also some time frame for implementation would be very helpful here.

And - I wonder what the owners of the car pictured below would have to undergo now!
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-1329466707_318233067_2picturesofmaruticargovan2004.jpg
Would the Maruti Cargo owners be fined everyday?
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 10:31   #477
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I drove through 25 kms of traffic cop-ridden roads in Chennai and reached office without being stopped.

I took my Santro which has absolutely dark tints so that even if i am stopped, i will pay only 100 bucks (as fine) and have the cops remove my sun film. If we go to a professional, he would charge atleast 500 bucks.

While driving for almost an hour today, i noticed only 1 car without tints. I am not sure how this order is going to be implemented.

Please update status in your cities.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 10:32   #478

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
I dont think they will start apprehending violators just like that from morning today, But if someone has installed sun control films on his car, He is bound to get caught anytime soon.

The only hope for any difference is if someone files an appeal against the order at the Full bench and the order of the Division bench is stayed. Maybe till then people can save themselves by keeping their cars parked and use a two wheeler or public transport to commute.
This is the order of a Full Bench, and not a division bench order. So not much hope at all. The only likely changes might come from a review petition and that too any changes are not likely to be substantial!
saty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 10:40   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
My colleague told me that the cops were stopping a lot of private cars opposite Shopper's stop, Bannerghatta road.
I passed the place just now. I didn't see anyone stopping any cars.

I think they are waiting for more clarity on the ruling before any action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
Hope you also realize that since cops aren't professionals, there's a high chance that they will be resorting to barbaric methods to do it.
+1. I recall the story of my friend's Dad in Delhi many years back. He was pulled over by cops during a similar ban and was given a small piece of a shaving blade to remove the film from the glasses. He had to remove it all standing by the road side and he could go only after removing the whole thing.

I don't think they will do the work for you. I think one would be better off removing the film with some professional help or a DIY at home. A good quality film wont leave any mark and will come off easily with some leverage. Though, taking it off the rear windshield with defogger is very tricky.

Else, wait for more clarity.

Last edited by deetjohn : 4th May 2012 at 11:05. Reason: Adding quote.
Old 4th May 2012, 10:40   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Guys, I drove through 25 kms of traffic cop-ridden roads in Chennai and reached office without being stopped.

I took my Santro which has absolutely dark tints so that even if i am stopped, i will pay only 100 bucks (as fine) and have the cops remove my sun film. If we go to a professional, he would charge atleast 500 bucks.

While driving for almost an hour today, i noticed only 1 car without tints. I am not sure how this order is going to be implemented.

Please update status in your cities.
Hope you also realize that since cops aren't professionals, there's a high chance that they will be resorting to barbaric methods to do it(They probably might use something like a knife) and leave marks and scratches all across the windows and if you're less lucky, They will leave marks on the door trims as well.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks